Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Grim Dawn

My main gripe with Grim Dawn is the map and how boring it is. Swamps, forests, empty fields, samey ruins and almost nothing to see in them. You also get tired of the blood dimension because it's only blood and obsidian. It feels randomly generated, yet it's not and that gets my panties in a twist. Otherwise, yeah, it's probably the best hack and slash out there atm.
yeah thats true, I dislike going into the obsidian dimensions with those big walking things, its just the same shit over and over and endless enemies, I avoid going as much as possible, but sometimes the reward is too good to pass up

Perkel

Arcane
Ok i started it just a while ago. I noticed that there is this mod called Cataclysm Redone. Should i use this mod which seems to add a lot of stuff ?

Arkast

Novice
My only issue with the game is that the builds you find on the official forums are obviously made by people using the item generator to make the uber-ist character possible for the current patch (which updates frequent enough that you'll NEVER gather all the equipment legit to copy one of them, unless you cheat yourself).

That said, I love this game, over PoE, and WAY over Diablo III. Commandos represent!

DeepOcean

Arcane
Ok i started it just a while ago. I noticed that there is this mod called Cataclysm Redone. Should i use this mod which seems to add a lot of stuff ?
Those mods add alot of stuff that are really unbalanced, advice you only using it after you played the original content and you want new stuff.

Arkast

Novice
Boring, but dependable. Will let you get through the game with not much problem and farm Crucible for your more interesting characters. :)

Okagron

Prophet
This is compounded by the fact that grim dawn builds tend to be light on active abilities, making it feel like a slog.
Not all builds, this happens mostly with auto attack builds. Piano builds are quite common such as DoT builds and caster builds.

PorkBarrellGuy

Boring, but dependable. Will let you get through the game with not much problem and farm Crucible for your more interesting characters. :)
Absolutely true. I would actually recommend either Commando, Warder or Witchblade for just about anyone's first "training wheels" character. Later on you can have fun with things like Spellbreakers, Apostates, etc.

DeepOcean

Arcane
This is compounded by the fact that grim dawn builds tend to be light on active abilities, making it feel like a slog.
Not all builds, this happens mostly with auto attack builds. Piano builds are quite common such as DoT builds and caster builds.
Auto attack builds start boring but after some build up on devotions and some passive procs, it is amusing watching half of the screen exploding and on fire with my dual pistol purifier.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Absolutely true. I would actually recommend either Commando, Warder or Witchblade for just about anyone's first "training wheels" character. Later on you can have fun with things like Spellbreakers, Apostates, etc.
Especially for hardcore, those hit scan doom bolts, one hit kill charges and one hit kill meteor showers and small boss battle arenas on Ultimate are really nice for ranged glass cannon characters without decent gear.

Perkel

Arcane
Went for Necromancer and then got soldier too. 6 skele raiding party with me at head.
I am at Burrwitch outscirts.

Combat is fun and flying monsters never gets old (which me a lot of Titan Quest). So far also pretty good for genre level design, though lack of random maps will probably hurt on replay.

What is Crucible you speak of ?

edit: What is "food" i pick it up and nothing happens.

PorkBarrellGuy

Crucible is an optional DLC that basically plays like a gigantic endurance round and is really good for farming loot if you get good at it

DeepOcean

Arcane
Went for Necromancer and then got soldier too. 6 skele raiding party with me at head.
I am at Burrwitch outscirts.

Combat is fun and flying monsters never gets old (which me a lot of Titan Quest). So far also pretty good for genre level design, though lack of random maps will probably hurt on replay.

What is Crucible you speak of ?

edit: What is "food" i pick it up and nothing happens.
Crucible is an arena battle DLC, if you have it, on the next character you make, I recommend you to farm it a little from level 02 to 10 and buy 6 devotion points in there for very cheap, then return to it when you are on ultimate and your build is surviving trash mobs and common heroes with ease on Utimate, it is the best place to farm for loot and it isn't as boring as boss running.

Food replenishes your constitution, constitution is an stat linked to outside combat health regeneration, if you pay attention to your health bar, you will see an yellow outline, that is how much constitution you have left, every time you regenerate out of combat, that yellow outline is consumed until being empty, when that happens, you stop regenerating out of combat and need to use potions.

Last edited:

Perkel

Arcane
Ah i though that yellow thing was just some poison status or something.

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
rpghq (cant read codex pms cuz of fag 2fa)
Codex 2012
I've had this game since I kickstarted it but never gave it a real try. I'm thinking about doing so now but I have one question: does the DLC only work on a new game, or if I start a new game now, without the dlc, and like it enough that I buy the dlc later can I then access the new content through that save file?

RoBoBOBR

Arcane
Patron
agentorange DLC is crucible, which is in no way tied to starting a new game, and an expansion, that adds an Act, which can also be accessed with a save from base game.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
I never understand people who claim that PoE is "mindless, repetitive, full of grind" or that story and setting is just a pretext to kill thousands of mobs over and over again. Which is all 100% true, don't get me wrong here. But in the weird universe of Fanboysia in which some people apparently live in, the exact same description doesn't apply to Grim Dawn... somehow.
In reality the only major and meaningful difference in how the 2 games play is that PoE is online-only while GD is single player first and the consequences of that. And maybe PoE is a bit more varied in the long run (as in - it has more "stuff" to consider/collect when it comes to making builds. Not necessarily that it's of any better quality, mind you). The grind, the repetitiveness, even those grim/dark but underused settings in both cases, are all perfectly comparable between the two titles. One can have a preference for one over the other obviously but that doesn't mean there is some obvious and objective major difference in quality between the two. Anyone who claims otherwise is either deluding himself or trying to sell you something.
All this coming from someone who spent dozens (or rather hundreds) of hours in both games and find both of them enjoyable good for what they are.

Renevent

Cipher
I haven't played PoE in a while, for me though I vastly prefer GD's "grind" over PoE. I never found any awesome loot in PoE while in GD it was balanced far more generously and with single players in mind. I've tried multiple times to get into PoE but never was able to get into the game. Item system was boring it felt like weapons and armor were merely shells designed to hold skills rather than epic artifacts with distinct character. GD's actual gameplay is better too, with the physics system and waaaaay better melee. Nothing against PoE though and I can see why people enjoy it.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
I haven't played PoE in a while, for me though I vastly prefer GD's "grind" over PoE. I never found any awesome loot in PoE while in GD it was balanced far more generously and with single players in mind. I've tried multiple times to get into PoE but never was able to get into the game. Item system was boring it felt like weapons and armor were merely shells designed to hold skills rather than epic artifacts with distinct character. GD's actual gameplay is better too, with the physics system and waaaaay better melee. Nothing against PoE though and I can see why people enjoy it.
What do you call "gameplay" here ? Better physics is nice but is mostly a gimmick without any real impact to actual gameplay. It affects the looks of the game but not how you play it. Show me where better "physics" in GD actually in a meaningful make its gameplay different or even superior to PoE ? Actual examples please. Don't get me wrong, I like when mobs when hit hard fly away in spectacular fashion and other fun effects like that but calling it "gameplay" ? Where the actual gameplay is in this genre is in my opinion in making/brainstorming builds and in that aspect actually PoE - arguably - has an advantage in variety over GD.
As to the fact that you need to grind more in PoE to get some items, it is technically true if you directly compare numbers of hours needed to grind if both games are played the same way. However, this is where the only major meaningful difference (in my opinion) between the 2 titles comes into play - they're not "meant" to be played the same way, so to speak. In PoE trading with other players is actually a crucial part of gameplay, an element absent in a game without dedicated servers like GD (otherwise you might as well cheat, same result). Whether one likes it or not, whether one finds it enjoyable or not is another matter but superiority of one over the other is in this case purely subjective.
In short: Comparing the 2 games directly in the only major area where they actually differ greatly from each other is in my opinion pointless. If one doesn't like the obligatory online element then sure, GD is "better" and vice versa but that's not an objective difference in quality but in types of entertainment offered.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom