Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Grim Dawn

PorkBarrellGuy

You can salvage it by going a pet build + Mirror of Eroctes, that defensive shell and the elemental enchant for the weapon to boost the pets. If it boosts pets. The other thing you can do is a chaos Aether Ray, but it's too gear-dependent to be comfortable yet.

Chaos laserbeam is also ridiculously energy hungry last I knew, meaning you will have to sink significant points in Spirit and thus not Physique, making you an absolute glass cannon that, of all things, is FORCED to sit still in order to do lots of damage.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Yeah, I tried an Aether Ray Arcanist for like 30ish levels, but it's too stationary for what it is, a fragile spellcaster. Pairing it up with a more tanky mastery is kinda pointless and wasteful. I wouldn't say you need to pump spirit, but you do need to get +energy regen items to compensate for how much the ray gobbles up. It's certainly viable at end-game, and it's maybe even better with the gear from the expansion, but I wouldn't recommend it for a first character, it needs gear from others first. I also kind of don't like its mechanics, I would've preferred it go through mobs for some AoE capability, but I guess it would've been too overpowered like this. It's very cool, though, and I like the concept on paper.

Either way, the pet build is not a bad choice for a first character and that's what I'd advise JackOfOwls to do, even though it's certainly not the best pet build, it works and you can change your build after getting some items if it bothers you you aren't a Necro or Shaman instead of Arcanist.

Last edited:

PorkBarrellGuy

Yeah, Warlock will do alright with pets. Mirror of Ereoctes is a fantastic "oh shit" button and the Maiven's shield is basically all upside for a pet character as I don't think it affects pet damage at all.

Zakhad

Savant
No love for Callidor's Tempest? Olexra's Flash freeze lowers fire resist then CT deals fire damage. Occultist not the ideal synergy, but then in general those classes don't mesh that well. Can use Blood of Dreeg, though, which is a nice heal spell, and along with the sphere and the mirror will make you much less fragile. Plus if you focus mostly on arcanist you have lots of spare points to pump those skills. Been a while since I played a CT build, but I don't remember it requiring that much specific gear unless you're planning to go on to ultimate, so it's doable for new players. there are a bunch of common monster infrequents that buff CT, and it's AoE so much less frustrating than the aether ray.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Callidor's Tempest is kinda boring, though. And you have it in your arsenal as an Aether Ray Arcanist either way, it's your spammable AoE.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I would go pet and doombolt. Use arcanist for defensive buffs only. Or go that blood plague thingy and the chaos mark on floor that does damage to them and heals you at same time and again just use arcanist for defense. Arcanist has boring and bad offense skill but nice defense ones.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Update: found an item called Black Grimoire of Og'Napesh that lets me conjure a bad-ass, mean, clean killing machine -The Revenant of Og'Napeshsi . I'm glad I went with a pet build after all. Boss battles are easier now but not too easy. That "oh shit!" mirror spell is the shit. Very useful. Saved my bacon many a time. Thx for suggesting it. Also, I was shocked to discover during the course of the game that there is level scaling but at least it's not too ridiculous, ie Oblivion.

Lacrymas

Arcane
I had to play like 100 hours to get Og'Napesh to drop... Anyway, pet builds in Grim Dawn are quite active in general, so you might not get bored with it. In contrast, Diablo 2's pet-focused Necro is mind-numbingly dull from start to finish.

Last edited:

DeepOcean

Arcane
No love for Callidor's Tempest? Olexra's Flash freeze lowers fire resist then CT deals fire damage. Occultist not the ideal synergy, but then in general those classes don't mesh that well. Can use Blood of Dreeg, though, which is a nice heal spell, and along with the sphere and the mirror will make you much less fragile. Plus if you focus mostly on arcanist you have lots of spare points to pump those skills. Been a while since I played a CT build, but I don't remember it requiring that much specific gear unless you're planning to go on to ultimate, so it's doable for new players. there are a bunch of common monster infrequents that buff CT, and it's AoE so much less frustrating than the aether ray.
Flash freeze only reduces resists if it isn't resisted and actually freeze the target, the resist reduction is useless against bosses and heroes as they hardly if ever get frozen.

So I've been playing a Warder in Elite AoM and I am just getting the shit kicked out of me. Managed to finish Act 5 by the skin of my teeth, but Act 6 is proving to be quite a roadblock. The difficulty spike between base game Elite and AoM Elite is insane, to the point where I'm wondering if I should just hop over to Act 1 and 2 on Ultimate and come back to AoM Elite after. I'm currently level 77 and running with a 2h lightning/savagery build, but I've been getting extremely unlucky with my drops (literally have only found one leg that was remotely useful to my build, and it was a level 50). Would really like to test this build out with the Ultos set, but I don't know if I have the patience to grind the (fairly easy) roguelike dungeons over and over hoping for the right legs to drop. I wish the devs would introduce a loot progression mechanic that wasn't tied to totally arbitrary loot tables. If I get one more legendary Grimoire or +Cold Dmg 1h I am going to rage.

Zakhad

Savant
Flash freeze only reduces resists if it isn't resisted and actually freeze the target, the resist reduction is useless against bosses and heroes as they hardly if ever get frozen.

Really? I thought the freeze effect and resist reduction were separate? Wish the tooltips were more precise on these things, it's like vindictive flame where I had to google to figure out when the speed increase actually applied.

I stalk the night
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin 2
Reveal of a new shield focused mastery, coming in the expansion.

http://grimdawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77940

Grim Misadventures is here, and this one is all about promises, or oaths, and keeping them.

Last time, we delved into haunting memories of the Korvan people. Some of them, bound by their oaths, stand to this day, defending cities and tombs as if those they swore to protect remained.

Today, we are going to look at another group of individuals for whom oaths are the foundation of purpose. For these warriors, priests, conquerors…oaths drive every action, every decision, for they are bound to the will of the gods, and through them the gods execute their celestial judgment.

Today, we are proud to announce the 9th mastery coming to Grim Dawn with the Forgotten Gods expansion: the Oathkeeper!

attachment.php

Available for download in the Wallpapers section

Whether they hail from the Temple of Menhir, or offer their souls to the Witch Gods, all Oathkeepers have two things in common: unflinching loyalty and zealous fury. Oathkeepers are the guardians of sacred tombs, keepers of the faithful and ardent enforcers of celestial will. They do not merely hide behind a shield or their divine powers; to Oathkeepers, these are weapons upon which they shall spill the blood of the unworthy and exact their righteous wrath.

attachment.php

Oathkeepers may be servants of divine forces, but such forces may not always hold humanity in high regard or be sanctioned by the fallen Erulan Empire. Some Oathkeepers serve dark and corrupted powers, others see salvation in the light of Empyrion; others still believe that the Witch Gods are the only true gods and through their blessing they become a force of change upon Cairn.

attachment.php

The role of Oathkeepers has existed for as long as the gods had influence upon the people of Cairn. Even in the far-off lands of the Korvan people, the Oathkeepers served under the command of the forgotten god and its priests. Their oaths resolute as steel, some remain as wraiths, bound to guard their devastated homelands.

While the world burns under the influence of the Aetherials and the Chthonians and the temples of old crumble, the Oathkeepers find themselves with renewed purpose. If the gods will not offer solace from the darkness, then the Oathkeepers will cut a swathe of carnage through the heathens in their name.

Driven by divine purpose and celestial fire in their hearts, Oathkeepers are a terror to the enemies of humanity. Their wills unbending, their faith their shield. None can withstand the righteous fury of a fully trained Oathkeeper.

Let’s take a quick look at some of the skills available to Oathkeepers:

Please note that as the mastery is still under development, the following information may change by release.
Oathkeepers crush their foes with shield and weapon alike. They are retribution made manifest. The blows they suffer in humanity’s defense are returned a thousand-fold. An Oathkeeper’s very presence bolsters allies in trying times and fills their foes with dread. They excel in melee combat, but will not shirk the use of ranged weaponry.

If Oathkeepers swear fealty to Empyrion, then their strength lies in brute force and burning vengeance, but if they set upon a darker path and offer themselves before the Witch Gods through Transmuters then disease and decay become the core of their arsenal.

Aegis of Menhir
”With the strength of the earth flowing through you by the blessings of Menhir, hurl a magical aegis that will home in upon your target and leave it staggered and dazed before returning to you.”

The shield is not just a form of defense for an Oathkeeper. In trained hands, it is a deadly weapon. With sufficient training, the Aegis will bounce from the initial target to additional nearby foes before returning to you and include a portion of your retaliation damage with each strike.

Pledge your soul to Dreeg and turn the Aegis into a vector for the Great Guardian’s suffering.

Oathkeeper_AegisSkill01.gif

Vire’s Might
”First recorded in Arkovian texts when Agavold the Stalwart of the Temple of Vire selflessly charged through an entire legion of enemy forces, scattering their ranks and exposing them to an onslaught of arrows, all without taking a scratch. Vire's Might has since become a prime display of an Oathkeeper's strength, both physical and spiritual, in the face of seemingly impossible odds.”

What better way to show your stalwart faith than to charge into your enemies and leaving them scattered? Vire’s Might mechanically functions like the Rush archetype revealed with our new Rune Augments, but it carries an additional twist. With sufficient training, Vire’s Might will also leave a line of flames behind to incinerate any foes that remain standing.

attachment.php

Shattering Smash
”Such is an Oathkeeper's prowess with a shield that the force of the blow resonates through the earth and sends an additional shockwave through your initial target.”

This weapon pool proc shatters the very earth underneath your target and beyond, exposing all struck to further physical harm.

New Mechanics
With the introduction of the Oathkeeper mastery in Forgotten Gods, you will see two new mechanics on skill and item tooltips:

Increased Healing: This one is pretty self-explanatory. Whenever you received any form of healing, be it life steal or potion or a skill, this attribute will increase the healing received by that %.

Retaliation Damage added to Attack: Just as a portion of Weapon damage can be added to certain attacks, in Forgotten Gods you will see some skills synergize with Retaliation damage by adding a portion of your Retaliation effects. The first example of this is the Aegis of Menhir above!

And more…
Become a whirlwind force of destruction. Conjure celestial allies to crush your foes. Pledge yourself to the gods and ascend to greater power through their blessing. Become an Oathkeeper and forge yourself into a beacon of celestial retribution.

Class combination names you can look forward to: Archon, Dervish, Oppressor, Paladin, Sentinel, Shieldbreaker, Templar and Warlord.

The Oathkeeper mastery throws more awesome gameplay into the mix, bringing the total number of mastery combinations to a staggering 36.

If you've been joining us for livestreams, you've probably seen a few hints of this reveal but knowing what you know today, what has you most pumped for the upcoming Forgotten Gods expansion?!

Like knowing what is coming up next for Grim Dawn? Check back on 09/03/2018 for the next Grim Misadventure.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Finally a chance for GD to have something better than PoE. PoE has only one shield skill, GD will now have more.

PorkBarrellGuy

Fucking nice. I have wanted shields to be made into something more than a boring-ass way to boost armor/DA and carry components/enhancements for a while now. Soldier's Blitz and Menhir's Bulwark skills were nice and all but not exactly exciting. I mean, a shield Blitz can actually do some serious damage, but most builds pretty much just one-point Blitz as a mobility/gap-closer skill.

Okagron

Prophet
Normal Forcewave uses the shield in the damage calculation. I'm more interesting in the shield wps because the shield wps were my favorite in Titan Quest.

PorkBarrellGuy

Normal Forcewave uses the shield in the damage calculation. I'm more interesting in the shield wps because the shield wps were my favorite in Titan Quest.

Oh, right, fuck. I actually haven't used Forcewave since they finally made it pretty fucking awesome, so I kind of tend to overlook it a bit (probably wrongly).

My personal opinion: WPS are generally pretty boring (if very effective at times), with some notable exceptions like the Inquisitor's ranged WPS skills which are fun as fuck to see trigger.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lazing Dirk

Arcane
I nabbed this since it was cheap and seemed to be not complete shit, so figured I'd give it a go. Seems pretty polished so far. Music is nice, dialogue isn't awful or corny or whatever, the combat is pretty satisfying, the devotion thing seems neat, and no particular part seems to drag on for too long. I also appreciate it saving me a lot of busywork by automatically picking up money and potions and having inventory sorting and the gem auto-complete thing. The only striking thing so far is how bonkers easy it is so far (playing as demolitionist). The only time I've had to use a health potion (of my 65) was when I found a cave with something "far more powerful" than I was (level 15 vs 22), and I killed it losing no more than 1 health potion and a quarter of my health bar. I guess I'll turn it up to veteran for now.

Okagron

Prophet
Yeah, Normal is piss easy. Veteran is definitely harder, but it's still relatively easy for people that are used to these types of games.

Base game is pretty easy with some locations still being able to provide some challenge. Expansion is where the difficulty spikes up.

Suicidal

Arcane
Bought it for like 5 eu on sale. So far it's pretty fun, and I got bored of diablo clones and diablo-style gameplay some time ago.

Even though the "combat" is average diablo style schlock (hold mouse button, wait till all enemies stop moving) the character building is fun, the game is very polished and pleasant to play and I like the atmosphere. Out of all the Diablo clones I've played this one feels closest to the real deal.

Don't have the DLC but I'll probably get it if I keep enjoying the game to the end.

Last edited:

Sykar

Arcane
Reveal of a new shield focused mastery, coming in the expansion.

http://grimdawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77940

Grim Misadventures is here, and this one is all about promises, or oaths, and keeping them.

Last time, we delved into haunting memories of the Korvan people. Some of them, bound by their oaths, stand to this day, defending cities and tombs as if those they swore to protect remained.

Today, we are going to look at another group of individuals for whom oaths are the foundation of purpose. For these warriors, priests, conquerors…oaths drive every action, every decision, for they are bound to the will of the gods, and through them the gods execute their celestial judgment.

Today, we are proud to announce the 9th mastery coming to Grim Dawn with the Forgotten Gods expansion: the Oathkeeper!

attachment.php

Available for download in the Wallpapers section

Whether they hail from the Temple of Menhir, or offer their souls to the Witch Gods, all Oathkeepers have two things in common: unflinching loyalty and zealous fury. Oathkeepers are the guardians of sacred tombs, keepers of the faithful and ardent enforcers of celestial will. They do not merely hide behind a shield or their divine powers; to Oathkeepers, these are weapons upon which they shall spill the blood of the unworthy and exact their righteous wrath.

attachment.php

Oathkeepers may be servants of divine forces, but such forces may not always hold humanity in high regard or be sanctioned by the fallen Erulan Empire. Some Oathkeepers serve dark and corrupted powers, others see salvation in the light of Empyrion; others still believe that the Witch Gods are the only true gods and through their blessing they become a force of change upon Cairn.

attachment.php

The role of Oathkeepers has existed for as long as the gods had influence upon the people of Cairn. Even in the far-off lands of the Korvan people, the Oathkeepers served under the command of the forgotten god and its priests. Their oaths resolute as steel, some remain as wraiths, bound to guard their devastated homelands.

While the world burns under the influence of the Aetherials and the Chthonians and the temples of old crumble, the Oathkeepers find themselves with renewed purpose. If the gods will not offer solace from the darkness, then the Oathkeepers will cut a swathe of carnage through the heathens in their name.

Driven by divine purpose and celestial fire in their hearts, Oathkeepers are a terror to the enemies of humanity. Their wills unbending, their faith their shield. None can withstand the righteous fury of a fully trained Oathkeeper.

Let’s take a quick look at some of the skills available to Oathkeepers:

Please note that as the mastery is still under development, the following information may change by release.
Oathkeepers crush their foes with shield and weapon alike. They are retribution made manifest. The blows they suffer in humanity’s defense are returned a thousand-fold. An Oathkeeper’s very presence bolsters allies in trying times and fills their foes with dread. They excel in melee combat, but will not shirk the use of ranged weaponry.

If Oathkeepers swear fealty to Empyrion, then their strength lies in brute force and burning vengeance, but if they set upon a darker path and offer themselves before the Witch Gods through Transmuters then disease and decay become the core of their arsenal.

Aegis of Menhir
”With the strength of the earth flowing through you by the blessings of Menhir, hurl a magical aegis that will home in upon your target and leave it staggered and dazed before returning to you.”

The shield is not just a form of defense for an Oathkeeper. In trained hands, it is a deadly weapon. With sufficient training, the Aegis will bounce from the initial target to additional nearby foes before returning to you and include a portion of your retaliation damage with each strike.

Pledge your soul to Dreeg and turn the Aegis into a vector for the Great Guardian’s suffering.

Oathkeeper_AegisSkill01.gif

Vire’s Might
”First recorded in Arkovian texts when Agavold the Stalwart of the Temple of Vire selflessly charged through an entire legion of enemy forces, scattering their ranks and exposing them to an onslaught of arrows, all without taking a scratch. Vire's Might has since become a prime display of an Oathkeeper's strength, both physical and spiritual, in the face of seemingly impossible odds.”

What better way to show your stalwart faith than to charge into your enemies and leaving them scattered? Vire’s Might mechanically functions like the Rush archetype revealed with our new Rune Augments, but it carries an additional twist. With sufficient training, Vire’s Might will also leave a line of flames behind to incinerate any foes that remain standing.

attachment.php

Shattering Smash
”Such is an Oathkeeper's prowess with a shield that the force of the blow resonates through the earth and sends an additional shockwave through your initial target.”

This weapon pool proc shatters the very earth underneath your target and beyond, exposing all struck to further physical harm.

New Mechanics
With the introduction of the Oathkeeper mastery in Forgotten Gods, you will see two new mechanics on skill and item tooltips:

Increased Healing: This one is pretty self-explanatory. Whenever you received any form of healing, be it life steal or potion or a skill, this attribute will increase the healing received by that %.

Retaliation Damage added to Attack: Just as a portion of Weapon damage can be added to certain attacks, in Forgotten Gods you will see some skills synergize with Retaliation damage by adding a portion of your Retaliation effects. The first example of this is the Aegis of Menhir above!

And more…
Become a whirlwind force of destruction. Conjure celestial allies to crush your foes. Pledge yourself to the gods and ascend to greater power through their blessing. Become an Oathkeeper and forge yourself into a beacon of celestial retribution.

Class combination names you can look forward to: Archon, Dervish, Oppressor, Paladin, Sentinel, Shieldbreaker, Templar and Warlord.

The Oathkeeper mastery throws more awesome gameplay into the mix, bringing the total number of mastery combinations to a staggering 36.

If you've been joining us for livestreams, you've probably seen a few hints of this reveal but knowing what you know today, what has you most pumped for the upcoming Forgotten Gods expansion?!

Like knowing what is coming up next for Grim Dawn? Check back on 09/03/2018 for the next Grim Misadventure.

Seems to look great ingame with their class set which closely resembles the promotion artwork from the announcement thread:

attachment.php

Main menu looks pretty sweet as well:

attachment.php

Hyperion

Arcane
We're also finally getting a Whirlwind-like ability via Oathkeeper.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom