Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Grim Dawn

Orma

Arcane
Patron
Torment: Tides of Numenera
Okay, so I played this for about 20 hours... and I honestly tried to like this.

But honestly... After hour 12 or so it just started to be extremely boring to me.
The enemies are all recycled stuff, the world looks the same almost everywhere.
Character progression just feels super slow if you distribute somewhat evenly between your classes. I was basically stuck using the exact same 3-4 abilities for the most part of the game. I quit at level 35 (I think) using 5 abilities. That just doesn't suffice.
Maybe the endgame or high-level content would have changed something, or another class would (I played a Soldier/Witch Hunter) but I just cannot be arsed to spend more time in this game, and I don't care about MP at all.
Also, the scope of the game just seems totally minimal to me. The whole world seems to be two villages. Compare that to the feeling of travelling the globe in D2...
Games like these just always suffer from a certain monotony after a while that can be alleviated only by introducing something new, be it enemies or abilities.

The game certainly isn't bad, I'd even say it's one of the best HnS games.
The music, oh wow!
The graphics are really nice as well... at least before you notice everything looks the same. There are some nice minor areas that really spice things up, like that one portal taking you to some kind of fallen demon wasteland (?) or that one cave with the glowing crystals. But those are minor areas. The majority of the game (at least during my time), you run around the countryside in/at/around farms. That's it. Ungh.
I like the idea with the devotion points, it really adds a nice additional (and much needed) layer.
The crafting seems as if it could be interesting, but as in almost any game, I did not use it one but - I simply didn't need it.
The game plays really smooth, even more so than D3 imo.
Big bonus for not requiring that identify scroll nonse, thanks for that.
The difficulty felt good. Died a few times, but not too often and felt somewhat challenged throughout the experience.

But at least for me personally, the crown certainly remains with PoE (no, not the Obsidian one).
While it does some things worse than Grim Dawn, at least it is not as monotonous. I guess I am pretty much a graphics (or at least content) whore when it comes to games like these.

tl;dr: too monotonous.

Really? PoE is literally a torture until you get to endgame and start mapping, which was made even worse when they added act 4.

Levelling characters is such a chore. In Grim Dawn you can have fun even in normal difficulty.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
That's the thing, though. I feel with PoE it is much easier to just get rolling without thinking too much about the optimal build. And you also get more abilities to use - at least I always ended up with 5 or so by level 10 already. Took me level 35 in Grim Dawn...
Given, the fact that your abilities are loot drops is a bit weird at first, but you get used to it. And I do like a certain randomness in abilities.

I also find that giant skill... map thing to be truly fun. I can imagine it being hard to use if you try to go for the optimal build, but that's just not what I do in those games. Optimal builds are just not a requirement for anything but the hardest difficulties. And by the time I reach those, I am usually fed up with the game and move on to another thing to play.

So maybe the choice between those two games really depends on how you play HnS games to begin with.
"Optimal character crunching" or "Fun dungeon romp".

Orma

Arcane
Patron
Torment: Tides of Numenera
I have fun by theorycrafting and making up builds, both games are pretty good in that regard.

But putting those builds into practice is just more enjoyable in Grim Dawn.

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Well in PoE for the first 40 levels you spam only one ability instead of four.

I just rolled soldier and was planning to go the hedgehog route, but apparently retaliation damage only works on melee enemies... is it by design or ?
Retaliation only works in melee, reflect (like Mirror of Ereoctes) works on anything. A retaliation build is still viable (and very strong, if done right), but it is very slow at clearing.

That's the thing, though. I feel with PoE it is much easier to just get rolling without thinking too much about the optimal build. And you also get more abilities to use - at least I always ended up with 5 or so by level 10 already. Took me level 35 in Grim Dawn...
Given, the fact that your abilities are loot drops is a bit weird at first, but you get used to it. And I do like a certain randomness in abilities.

I also find that giant skill... map thing to be truly fun. I can imagine it being hard to use if you try to go for the optimal build, but that's just not what I do in those games. Optimal builds are just not a requirement for anything but the hardest difficulties. And by the time I reach those, I am usually fed up with the game and move on to another thing to play.

So maybe the choice between those two games really depends on how you play HnS games to begin with.
"Optimal character crunching" or "Fun dungeon romp".

That's a problem I have with most RPG's, especially the standard ones.

Always got to have the best and most fun build.

Totally sucked the fun out of Wasteland 2 for myself.

Party based and boring as a motherfucker.

EDIT: You also wrote in another post that you like Grim Dawn's OST.

No good. No way near Diablo 2. Shit. Diablo 2 has one of the best game soundtracks I've ever heard.

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
Finally beat Normal Veteran. Of all the Acts, I think I liked Act 1 best, followed by Act 3, 4 then 2. Act 4 wasn't as bad as I'd expected, and I'm glad there were some new mobs. I also really liked the new environments. I completed it in two sittings, along with exploration of areas of interest.

Anyway while I had a lot of fun (and again as I mentioned in my GOG review, this is one of the best ARPGs I've ever played), I'm really burned out. Like, I will go back to this in the near future when I have the ARPG itch to scratch again, or when they continue on with the story, whichever comes first, but for now I'm done building my main character.

Speaking of which, my main build (Blademaster) sucked in the beginning but started to get better as I stacked resistances, plus swapped out Amarista's Blade Burst (which I had used in the beginning) for Phantasmal Blades. Here's the Grim Calc link if anyone's interested:
http://grimcalc.com/build/7SMP4o
(not an exact replica but more or less reflects what I've got so far)

Noteworthy features:
- Focuses on Cold and Piercing, with Bleeding to supplement. My Cold multiplier is 250%ish, can't remember piercing but it's in the 100%s.
- Uses Veil of Shadow and one other chill aura for buffing Cold damage
- Uses Riftstone for Chaos Strike, and Alkamos' Warsword for Spectral Strike. This, along with Blitz and Shadow Strike, means I'm teleporting all over the place most of the time

It's definitely not optimal yet, but I'm facerolling mobs even in Elite (so far, at least). Just need to stack more resistances from here on out. But that last point is why I had so much fun with this build. After getting Alkamos' Warsword and Rifstone, I'm almost untouchable. Really fun skills to use.

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
New Grim Misadventure (#95). This looks to be a significant game-changer:

Welcome back to Grim Misadventures. First, a brief update on the modding tools: we are currently in the final stretch of testing as we work on resolving some new bugs. The modding tools are on track for their release later this month!

Along with the modding tools are coming several fixes to game issues, as well as some tech improvements. Chief among them is a feature that’s been on our wish-list for Devotion for a long time. With v1.0.0.3, you can look forward to a major change to the activation chances of Celestial Powers that allows them to scale with the cooldown of the assigned skill. This means that skills with longer cooldowns (ex. Doombolt) will have up to a 100% chance to trigger a Celestial Power where previously they may have had the same 15% chance of activating as a spammable ability. Overall, a huge boon to builds based around cooldown abilities.

Following the modding tools update, you can look forward to the Hidden Path, which is an upcoming free content update for Grim Dawn, featuring new lore, new bosses and a new dungeon. With this update are also three new Monster Infrequents, four new Epic items and two new Legendary items.

attachment.php

How do you earn these new treasures? By following the path of the three Witch Gods: Bysmiel, Dreeg and Solael. What secrets will you unveil? What knowledge do the Three keep?

Bysmiel
attachment.php

Dreeg

attachment.php

Solael

attachment.php

Like knowing what is coming up next for Grim Dawn? Check back on 05/02/2016 for the next Grim Misadventure.

I stalk the night
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin 2
The expansion was announced all the way back when they started selling the game, so I'd think so.

Or well... The first expansion was announced back then, so there might be more incoming, seeing that the game has done pretty well. Just hoping the development cycles are a bit more swift.

GrainWetski

Arcane
http://www.grimdawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37608

With our latest game update, you can now delve into Grim Dawn's development tools and create your own content! The potential here is tremendous and we here at Crate are excited to see what the community comes up with.

The Modding Tools Guide is included in your installation folder, but can also be downloaded here. We highly recommend that you check it out if you are interested in modding Grim Dawn as it contains some important information on getting started.

First run through entire campaign, veteran difficulty.

I rolled an Albrecht’s Aether Ray Sorcerer (Arcanist + Demolitionist) that was level 50 when I beat the game.

Here's a link to the build guide I used: http://www.grimdawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30239&highlight=Albrecht's+Aether

My impressions:

PRO's

1. Excellent graphics: the graphics are so much more robust than Titan Quest it's like night and day. While not 100% "realistic," the art direction is tight, crisp, and suits the game's dark fantasy theme very well. The gameworld itself is so detailed with intricate forestry, buildings, roads, caves, crypts, waterways, graveyards, towns, and castles, and ruins that at times it's too dense to even see the playing field.
  2. Character progression: Grim Dawn, like Titan Quest, allows you to dual class so you have twice the amount of builds to choose from, or about 40 to be exact. You also have dozens of constulations to choose from to fill out your devotion spec which basically adds further bonuses to your build. All of your armor can be upgraded with stat boosting ingredients that you can collect or buy ingame, or you can combine these ingredients to form relics that fit a specific slot. Increasing faction rep grants you access to special concoctions sold by faction merchants that can be combined with all of your items to add even more compounding stats. Temporary pots are also available that boost HP, Mana, or target resistances/abilities.
  3. Amount of content: I spent about 48 hours total ingame during my first playthrough. This is satisfactory for this type of game and I'm sure the expansion will add at least another 10-12 hours of solid content.
CON's
  1. Voice-acting, story, and atmosphere: all are mediocre. The voice-acting is much more laid back than Titan Quest, almost sleepy in its delivery. The developers have tried to make the story fit a dark fantasy mold, or "grim" if you will, but it's lackluster and tame in comparison to the classic of the genre, Diablo II. The integration of demonic forces that are spawned by green crystals is actually pretty lame in its execution. Whereas Diablo II's demons came from hell itself, Grim Dawn's demonic realm is also pretty elementary. The contrast between the demonic realms that can be navigated through by portals and the game world is not that much of a difference. Also, unlike Diablo II, the setting is pretty static as it takes place on one continent with a pretty linear habitat.
  2. Boss battles: The bosses are basically regular mobs with higher stats. They are not epic at all. The endboss looks pretty cool but the battle is very short and nothing out of the ordinary.
  3. Lack of large, thriving cities: There are basically 3 main hubs of commerce in Grim Dawn and they are very basic. The lack of boat or portal transport between these cities makes the game world appear even smaller than it actually is.
  4. Music: Grim Dawn's soundtrack is a bad imitation of something that didn't make the cut for the Diablo series. I believe it's the soundtrack that ruined the game's atmosphere for me because it lacks variety and strips away all elements of suspense.

FINAL RATING: :5/5::1/5:

Last edited:

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
CON's
  1. Voice-acting, story, and atmosphere: both are mediocre. The voice-acting is much more laid back than Titan Quest, almost sleepy in its delivery. The developers have tried to make the story fit a dark fantasy mold, or "grim" if you will, but it's lackluster and tame in comparison to the classic of the genre, Diablo II. The integration of demonic forces that are spawned by green crystals is actually pretty lame in its execution. Whereas Diablo II's demons came from hell itself, Grim Dawn's demonic realm is also pretty elementary in comparison. The contrast between the demonic realms that can be navigated through by portals and the game world is not that much of a difference by comparison. Also, unlike Diablo II, the setting is pretty static as it takes place on one continent with a pretty linear habitat.
  2. Boss battles: The bosses are basically regular mobs with higher stats. They are not epic at all. The endboss looks pretty cool but the battle is very short and nothing out of the ordinary.
  3. Lack of large, thriving cities: There are basically 3 main hubs of commerce in Grim Dawn and they are very basic. The lack of boat or portal transport between these cities makes the game world appear even smaller than it actually is.
  4. Music: Grim Dawn's soundtrack is a bad imitation of something that didn't make the cut for the Diablo series. I believe it's the soundtrack that ruined the game's atmosphere for me because it lacks variety and strips away all elements of suspense.

Would fist for a pros as to cons are:

1. Voice acting was added as after thought cause Millennial tards whined for it; its :decline: +M
Aetherians were not Demons more like Devils aka fallen Angels the Demonic forces were the Blood Magic and bugs using red faction.
2. Bosses where epic enough and more importantly tied to the game story line; it was cool to read about them and then only meet them in person; they should not in my opinion respawn though in story mode at-least but this is price you have for a random loot.
3. Large Thriving Cities in Post Apocalyptic in literal sense of word setting? :retarded: Its game about humanity fighting for its biological survival against blood cult and its very soul against race of mind possessing evil spirits. Besides the game takes part in very wild and/or rural part of Empire and the Capital was hit first and hardest.
4. I liked Grim Dawn soundtrack its not as genius as Kotor II, DD series, or Elder Scrolls Master Pieces but it adds to Grim Dawn grim setting.

CON's
  1. Voice-acting, story, and atmosphere: both are mediocre. The voice-acting is much more laid back than Titan Quest, almost sleepy in its delivery. The developers have tried to make the story fit a dark fantasy mold, or "grim" if you will, but it's lackluster and tame in comparison to the classic of the genre, Diablo II. The integration of demonic forces that are spawned by green crystals is actually pretty lame in its execution. Whereas Diablo II's demons came from hell itself, Grim Dawn's demonic realm is also pretty elementary in comparison. The contrast between the demonic realms that can be navigated through by portals and the game world is not that much of a difference by comparison. Also, unlike Diablo II, the setting is pretty static as it takes place on one continent with a pretty linear habitat.

Would fist for a pros as to cons are:

1. Voice acting was added as after thought cause Millennial tards whined for it; its :decline: +M
Aetherians were not Demons more like Devils aka fallen Angels the Demonic forces were the Blood Magic and bugs using red faction.
2. Bosses where epic enough and more importantly tied to the game story line; it was cool to read about them and then only meet them in person; they should not in my opinion respawn though in story mode at-least but this is price you have for a random loot.
3. Large Thriving Cities in Post Apocalyptic in literal sense of word setting? :retarded: Its game about humanity fighting for its biological survival against blood cult and its very soul against race of mind possessing evil spirits. Besides the game takes part in very wild and/or rural part of Empire and the Capital was hit first and hardest.
4. I liked Grim Dawn soundtrack its not as genius as Kotor II, DD series, or Elder Scrolls Master Pieces but it adds to Grim Dawn grim setting.

The Aetherials and their crystals reminded me of World of Warcraft's Burning Crusade expansion and the Ch'thonians are like a G-rated version of real demons.

game even runs like shit on a new computer. Its impossible for me to max this shit out.

It started to stutter for me in Act 4 and I got a top of the line rig.

I discovered that the 2 patches I downloaded didn't install because they created a separate directory.

I experienced some glitches, mainly with floating geometry and an action bar slot that got toggled onto automatic according to the last ability used before my character died.

Endgame for me crashed a few times too.

Another thing I brought up earlier in this same thread:

The physics engine was nothing special.

I prefer dead corpses littering the play field to mobs disintegrating upon death, but that's just me.

In Titan Quest, swinging at a satyr with a hammer was like setting of a bomb.

In Grim Dawn, enemies barely slide a few feet away.

The latter makes more sense considering magically imbued weaponry.

Ironically enough, Titan Quest's Greco-Roman setting was 100X more original to me than Grim Dawn.

This is because that 95% of the games I play are horror or dark fantasy.

Last edited:

Rabbid

Savant
I prefer dead corpses littering the play field to mobs disintegrating upon death, but that's just me.

I see this being brought up a lot in comments and reviews. There is corpse persistence slider in the general settings. Default is set to zero.

DeepOcean

Arcane
You see an strange red forest on the map and hear about all the weird blood magic those C'thonians are doing, getting in there is just the same ole forest with a few red bushes and the same ole cultists.
You hear about fort Tyrant and the backstory of it being a fort used to keep the tribes of trolls and goblins in check, getting in there it uses the same texture as every other fort on the game and there isn't a single decent quest to give it flavour, just some black legion dude that say you need to kill a generic orc in there.
You hear that a bossl wyvern is causing alot of problems to the black legion, getting in there, the wyvern is just a 50% bigger wyvern with just a nastier version of usual attacks, some random mobs are more threatening than her.
You see some strange village called Dark something on the map and think "Cool, I will see what this village is about." you hear about all kinds of ominous shit the C'thonians did in there, getting in there, it uses alot of recycled assets, you see alot of "Generic wooden ruined hut number 01 that you see everywhere since act 1." and "Generic cuthulu cultists you fight since act 1." Not a single quest to add flavour.
The warden and Daniel Cronley are bosses with pretty good backstories that make some sense, the warden was a weak willed sadist man, Daniel Crownley is an opportunistic ruthless man that see fighting the aetherials as futile, both interesting, then the game takes you to fight some crazy generic cultist dude whose motivation is "We need to destroy the world because we are major dicks!" and then you go fight Cuthulu distant cousin, that isn't interesting.
I heard how THQ fucked up Titan Quest and how the developers had plans for all those awesome shit that didn't get in the game, now with Grim Dawn, the developers had good intentions but honestly what I saw in terms of content wasn't that much better from Titan Quest without THQ dumbfuckery this time.
I know aRPGs these days are made for loot whoring but why torture yourself playing this copy pasted mediocre content to get the loot? I really wanted to like this game but there isn't enough good quality content to keep me going. Maybe if the developers release a Grim Dawn Enhanced Edition or modding picks up I will return, right now I'm just sad I couldn't like this game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom