Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grimoire already available in mother russia!

Mortmal

Arcane
http://small-games.info/?go=game&c=3&i=2456
Sort of :)
Well thats worth taking a look, you will notice things haven't changed a lot since 1998 , easy to compare them , the dreadful axe&scimitar is definitively there.
Now a quick start will show you an unhealthy number of furry pre generated characters, i suggest making them yourself .
Strangely the faery you encounter in the wood doesnt answer very much to any of your query, asking her about fluoride,manboons, neanderthals or tell her she dont know what she dont know will only grant you a "i am a faery silly!" at best, disapointing....Finsihed it already? Buy the full game and enjoy 400 more hours!

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Fuck me Cleve, your game really is a piece of shit.

Ironic that a 'superior' Neanderthal would choose to not only APE the conventions of blob RPG's in the style of Homo Sapiens, but also to do it in such a pathetic and primitive way!

Where's that Neanderthal innovation Cleve?

Elzair

Cipher
Is this DOSBox compatible? I really do not want to run this natively in case my computer is infected with existential insanity.

Alex

Arcane
This version (2.06) is the old version, leaked a few years ago. According to mondblut, this version is from 97~98. There has been two other beta tests since them. So, this is pretty outdated.

@commie

Care to elaborate? What didn't you like about the game?

@Elzair

Yes, it is DOSBox compatible.

Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming!
Alex said:
@commie

Commie has just developed an anal fixation on Cleve recently, I doubt he even downloaded the beta.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Wait, you're telling me Grimoire is a real game?

Alex

Arcane
Yeah, the first beta has floating on the net for a few years now. The game has, apparently, gone through a lot of changes since this version too.

CrimHead

Scholar
Haven't even looked much at Grimoire but would like to say Cleve is a neanderthal faggot so won't play it on principle

.Sigurd

Educated
Alex said:
Yeah, the first beta has floating on the net for a few years now. The game has, apparently, gone through a lot of changes since this version too.
Now I belive that a baby can fly but this time with a clean conscience.

Mortmal

Arcane
I knew it was old version, but if you look at the new screens , its the exact same skill sets, and the same graphics.It runs fine with dosbox indeed, for now its just a pale embryon of a wizardry 7 clone with 8bit console rpg music, not much more, thats all the evidence we have.
Its out dated of course but as cleve is a wanker,his lies, his bullshit stories, well just looking at his bunker wall masonry can tell you that , it probably doesnt evolve much.You will notice he ignore any questions or topic related to grimoire.
I am not sure, that if he has the balls to release it one day, how it will compare today to the japanese version of wizardry or something like etrian odissey, they may prove to be superior blobbers, its unlikely he has put as much depth into the character development.

Slightly out of topic anyone know if this will be translated one day ?
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xa7pnp ... videogames

Achilles

Arcane
Well if the game is changing between betas, doesn't it conclusively prove that Grimoire is (or was until recently) under active development?

Alex

Arcane
I don't know much about quality, as I haven't yet played the beta much as I have only recently (since the beginning of the year) began to take interest in this kind of game again, but I am under the impression that these japanese blobbers are much more akin to the early Wizardries (1, 2 and 3) than the later ones (6, 7 and 8).

Not that I don't find the early Wizardries fun, but the later ones, the ones made by Mr. Bradley are much more my kind of game (I haven't gotten to Wizardry 8 yet). I am specifically talking about the more developed adventure game aspect and the greater freedom to develop one's characters, with different choices actually impacting the gameplay.

So, if this impression about the japanese games is correct, it seems weird to compare these games. Cleve has always been clear that he was aiming for a game akin to Bradley's Wizardries, not the early ones. Also, I don't mind ASCII graphics and no sound, I certainly won't mind if his art assets are outdated if the gameplay is good.

By the way, I don't really think Cleve is lying about this. I asked what mondblut thought about it, and right now I think that it is pretty possible that Grimoire never gets released, but not because it doesn't exist, but because Cleve never feels it is the right time to release.

Stabwound

Arcane
The game will never be released. It's either not at all being worked on or he'll just never want to release it, but I honestly believe any "updates" he gives are complete fabrications.

It's a shame, because judging by the beta, it really could have been a decent game.

dolphinrope

Novice
I saw this on that page:
url]

900_120_402_30.jpg

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Alex said:
@commie

Probably the fact that it was antiquated and brought nothing to the table even in 1998. I actually suspect it's based on stolen code from Sir-Tech from the beginning of the 90's based on Wizardry 7 hence why Cleve was turfed out on his arse back then and a reason why this game will never be released. Fast forward another 12 years, it looks even more primitive in interface and style and even though I'm still a sucker of blob crawlers, it just lacks that joy of exploration that the Might and Magics had.

TalesfromtheCrypt said:
Commie has just developed an anal fixation on Cleve recently, I doubt he even downloaded the beta.

Don't project your perversions onto others. :) I did download it and give it a go. A poor man's Wizardry 7. Cleve is good to have a laugh at, but when he started stalking, then it elevated everything to a whole new level.

SkepticsClaw

Potential Fire Hazard
Good find :salute:

I found it fairly enjoyable, but it's clearly an almost total Wizardry 7 clone (or it was at that stage in any case). Liked a couple of the interface changes, especially in combat which removed the need for all the tedious clicky click repetition - once selected tactics now repeat each turn, with action only required when you want to change what a character is doing.

Graphics vary from very good to a bit sucky, overall effect is OK but Wiz 7 was far better looking overall in its art design and consistency. But I've had fun with it, dungeon & world design seemed not completely boring so far, decent variation in locations, story (such as it was) was a reasonably interesting idea. Hopefully he'll actually release the full version at some point.

Even still, it's pretty generic, shamelessly (and almost embarrassingly) apes Wizardry 7, and hardly seems like the anally prolapsing work of profound genius that you might expect from a man of Cleve's almighty, Colossus-like intellectual stature. :smug:

Mortmal

Arcane
But wait wait.. hes still actively working on it look heres a new updaate totally not made up of course:

Walkthrough At 38%
Posted by Tex 28 December, 2010 (2) Comments
Found some crashes in cloud effects in combat, plus some glitches in spell effects from treasure chest.
Finished all of what was originally the shareware portion and now exploring the Fertile Crescent and surrounding regions. Tried to get through the Nether Tunnel to the Ruins of Gideon but kept getting whacked by ghosts.
Game needs lots of playtesting to adjust balance for everything, it’s pretty uneven in places.
Some of the NPCs got messed up by side effects from another change to pathfinder logic, I bumped into Q’Orl the dragon on the road when he was supposed to be locked in his cage inside the Royal Bestiary.
I also had to fight and kill one NPC who was unduly outraged because I had waxed another NPC I didn’t realize he had an alliance with. It was only after this happened I realized that many NPCs had overly hostile reactions to the deaths of NPCs they really should not have given a stuff about. This puts pressure on the player to increase their diplomacy skill early on when it doesn’t seem as important as basic skills like weapons and scribe.
It’s a big game with a lot of factors and it needs very extensive playtesting to balance out when I get this walkthrough finished.

Short version : Its a bugged piece of shit,encounter balance is completely out of wack ,he has no clue how to fix that as the only thing he was able is to stole the code from sir tech before being fired .He hope some of the playtesters has some basic scripting knowledge and can fix it for him.
That just with the shareware portion we are not even speaking of the whole game It will likely requires a few more years of testing by his aussie friends of rpgwatch(7-8 years at least).I bet in 10 years someone will necro my post and grimoire will still not be released.

Alex

Arcane
People, I understand you get riled up at Cleve (though I really don't understand why, why don't you just ignore his political posts or something?), but don't do this, please. If you judge the game by standards that you wouldn't apply to others, you are being biased, which makes you look as having a problem with Cleve, not the game.

The game doesn't need to compensate for its creator to be good. If you aren't able to judge the game objectively, do like CrimHead and simply don't judge it at all.

And don't start spreading the story that Cleve stole code from Sit-Tech, unless you have proof of what you are saying. Doing so isn't much better than the accusations Cleve made of Phil Moore. Besides, I am pretty sure Cleve didn't steal anything. Not only has Cleve done 3d games before for the C64, but the credits in the linked demo for the engine aren't even his! If you check the credits section, you will see the credits for the engine belong to Michael Shamgar, which according to Cleve himself in the other thread, was working with him during the development of Wizardry 8. I mean, if you were going to steal someone else's work, you wouldn't going to give them credit too, would you?

Radisshu

Prophet
Alex said:
People, I understand you get riled up at Cleve (though I really don't understand why, why don't you just ignore his political posts or something?), but don't do this, please. If you judge the game by standards that you wouldn't apply to others, you are being biased, which makes you look as having a problem with Cleve, not the game.

This. And please keep the GD out of General RPG Discussion.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Alex said:

The game doesn't need to compensate for its creator to be good. If you aren't able to judge the game objectively, do like CrimHead and simply don't judge it at all.

And don't start spreading the story that Cleve stole code from Sit-Tech, unless you have proof of what you are saying. Doing so isn't much better than the accusations Cleve made of Phil Moore. Besides, I am pretty sure Cleve didn't steal anything. Not only has Cleve done 3d games before for the C64, but the credits in the linked demo for the engine aren't even his! If you check the credits section, you will see the credits for the engine belong to Michael Shamgar, which according to Cleve himself in the other thread, was working with him during the development of Wizardry 8. I mean, if you were going to steal someone else's work, you wouldn't going to give them credit too, would you?

If you want to suck Cleve's dick, just ask him. I'm judging the game for what it is; a Wizardry 7 derivative that's very uneven and uninspired especially given an almost 2 decade development cycle!

Separating Cleve from the merits of the game goes against what Cleve himself wants, and you want to please Cleve, right? Therefore you must judge the game by the standards of the greatest piece of entertainment software ever, made by a superior species! It's not us being naysayers, it's us helping Cleve to maintain his standards!

SkepticsClaw

Potential Fire Hazard
It seems reasonable to me that a game which has been in development for 15 years and is touted as the greatest thing since mankind first learned how to rub two sticks together should be judged to a higher standard than 'oh hi here is a proof of concept demo i made in 10 minutes'. If a guy spends 50 years on a masterwork but stlil has only written the first page, it's a clearly less impressive achievement than me writing the same page in one week.

Having said that it's true that this Grimoire beta was not in dev for 15 years, and might not bear any resemblance to the game as it is currently. Who the hell knows except Cleve and his 'gamma testers' (groan)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom