Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grimoire gameplay and hints thread

mondblut

Arcane
Now, one quick question... if I

Go back into Crowl from the Horror's abode, is this going to fuck me over in the long run? I ended up killing Argosyre and Gorlo, which made EVERYONE in the town hate me. I don't particularly care about either of them at the moment, but I have no idea if the remaining 80% of the game is going to punish me severely for this.

The Horror demolishes my entire party in the first round so I'm not sure if I can even kill it at the moment without extreme luck.

If you bought everything from Smithers and got everything from Krone, nobody else is going to care. Of Argosyre, anyway, dunno about Gorlo - never hurt the old man, he is harmless enough.

Tigranes

Arcane
Alright, finally finished up the first set of areas and it's onto the Falls. I can't decide whether it's clever or ridiculously obscure the whole process with the egg.

So OK, the cosmic egg is a bit out of the way in Eyrie, but fine, it makes sense that you'd recognise the significance of birds in the story. It seems weird that you'd then want to crack such a critical item, instead of trying to hatch it or something. Deep in the Dwarven mines no less. Maybe you found the jeweled egg first? But that machine in the museum, you know it's going to do something, but I'm not sure how you're supposed to infer that the aphorism in the catacombs is connected to it. In any case, OK, at least the game telegraphs clearly that the machine is something to be tinkered with. So you have your jeweled egg, and your cosmic egg, but why would you think oh, there's that dwarven press, let's break the egg and combine the two? Finally, once you have it all, it seems very clear; the Eyrie nest description telegraphs that you're going to do something there later. So you get there with your owl and... it flies off. I guess again it's not too weird that you'd try waiting round to see if it comes back, but all in all it was pretty tough to figure out, wondering if I missed things that make it a more natural progression of events.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
The fucking broken NPCs are killing the game for me. Most of them you can only meet once!

Princess Dahlia? Doesn't appear again. Balderdash? Ditto. Morraha? You got it.

Guess how many quests are impossible to finish thanks to this?

I can't get into the frigging palace now. Spoil me the keywords to Axis Gaol and Imperial Palace gate.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
// MORRAHA
//
// She is hungry, if we give her some food she
// will give us the password to the palace
//
// If we steal the password from her she will
// initate combat with us
//

const int Flag_First_Encounter = 0;
const int Flag_First_Exit = 1;
const int Flag_First_Exit_Talk = 2;
const int Flag_Recruited_Into_Party = 3;

const int Flag_Saved_Balderdash = 4;
const int Flag_Rescued_Princess = 5;
const int Flag_Defeated_Shelach = 6;
const int Flag_Given_Food_For_Hunger = 7;
const int Flag_Gave_Us_Password = 8;
const int Flag_Discovered_Theft_Of_Password = 9;
const int Flag_In_Vanguard = 10;
const int Flag_Heard_Rumor_Mandarin_Was_Dead = 11;
const int Flag_Spoke_About_Balderdash = 12;
const int Flag_Spoke_About_Princess = 13;

Sigh... I gave her food, did not get the password.

Some other things I looked through...

// COUNT ORLOCH
// Must be resurrected from bones, can join party
// Opens wall to weapons cache against Shelach
// Has bat ring that will also open wall

const int Flag_Spoke_Of_The_Cache = 4;
const int Flag_Spoke_Of_The_Batwing_Ring = 5;
const int Flag_Noticed_Theft_Of_Batwing_Ring = 6;
const int Flag_Spoke_Of_The_Cache_Again = 7;
const int Flag_Asked_How_To_Destroy_Shelach = 8;
const int Flag_Shown_Jeweled_Scimitar = 9;
const int Flag_Shown_Quantum_Ichor = 10;
const int Flag_Jog_Memory_About_Cache = 11;

// RENFEELD
// Degenerate servant of vamphyri
// Can recruit into party
// Will solve several puzzles for us with verbal clues if in party
// Betrays us in other places by calling down huge attack
// Will not leave Skulheim with party

const int Flag_Offered_To_Find_Princess = 4;
const int Flag_Offered_To_Find_Shelach = 5;
const int Flag_Asked_How_To_Destroy_Shelach = 6;
const int Flag_Shown_Jeweled_Scimitar = 7;
const int Flag_Shown_Quantum_Ichor = 8;
const int Flag_Killed_Shelach_Entrance = 9;
const int Flag_Killed_Shelach_Exit = 10;

// CHIANG
//
// Runs shop in Kublai Axis
// Sells lots of arcane and unusual items
// Knows about the Green Mandarin and how to get into Pagoda
//

const int Flag_Got_Special_Fish_Mythacuda = 3;
const int Flag_Got_Special_Fish_Weircat = 4;
const int Flag_Got_Special_Fish_Ichysaurus = 5;

// BALDERDASH
// Rescue from Spirit Jar
// If not recruited will seek to kill Ahriman or other Vanguard soldiers
// May teach us whole new class of spells otherwise inaccessible - arcana

const int Flag_Mentioned_Ahriman = 4;
const int Flag_Mentioned_Princess = 5;
const int Flag_Mentioned_Errors = 6;
const int Flag_Shown_Pipes_Majestyk = 7;
const int Flag_Shown_Codex = 8;
const int Flag_Gave_Secret_Page = 9;

// LORD AHRIMAN
//
// Leader of the Vanguard
// May send astral stalker against us
// Will seek tablets and will not sell them
// Has to reflect any good relationship we have with Vanguard
// Once we have joined Vanguard conversation will reflect this

const int Flag_Mentioned_White_Owl = 4;
const int Flag_Mentioned_White_Owl_Again = 5;
const int Flag_Destroyed_Clock = 6;
const int Flag_Saved_Balderdash = 7;
const int Flag_Rescued_Princess = 8;
const int Flag_Got_Seahorse_Chariot = 9;
const int Flag_Recovered_Pipes_Majestyk = 10;
const int Flag_Killed_Kraken = 11;
const int Flag_Signaled_King = 12;
const int Flag_Mandarin_Rumored_Dead = 13;
const int Flag_Conachur_Imprisoned = 14;
const int Flag_Sent_To_Axis_Gaol = 15;
const int Flag_Gave_Havoc_Seed_Away = 16;
const int Flag_Inducted_Into_Vanguard = 17;
const int Flag_Took_Havoc_Seed = 18;
const int Flag_Visited_Owl_Lair = 19;
const int Flag_Knows_We_Killed_Stalker = 20;
const int Flag_Flabbergasted_At_Oblivion_Escape = 21;
const int Flag_Checked_Owl_Gift = 22;
const int Flag_Took_LACHESIS = 23;
const int Flag_Took_NEMESIS = 24;
const int Flag_Took_ATROPOS = 25;
const int Flag_Took_MEGAERA = 26;
const int Flag_Took_SCYLLA = 27;
const int Flag_Took_ARACHNE = 28;
const int Flag_Took_AURORA = 29;
const int Flag_Took_GORGON = 30;
const int Flag_Took_THANATOS = 31;
const int Flag_Noted_Exemplar_Codex = 32;
const int Flag_Noted_Hex_Curse = 33;
const int Flag_Gloated_Hex_Curse = 34;
const int Flag_Noted_Haunted_Wasteland = 35;
const int Flag_Noted_Deathstone_Vision = 36;
const int Flag_Rewound_Clock = 37;
const int Flag_Cursed_The_Party = 38;
const int Flag_Teleported_The_Party = 39;
const int Flag_Called_Astral_Stalker = 40;
const int Flag_Attempted_Fight = 41;
const int Flag_Induction_Reminder = 42;
const int Flag_Congratulated_Capture = 43;
const int Flag_Has_Spoken_Of_Havoc_Seed = 44;

// KHAN RAJI

const int Flag_Offered_Rescue_Quest = 3;
const int Flag_Accepted_Rescue_Quest = 4;
const int Flag_Completed_Rescue_Quest = 5;
const int Flag_Gave_Scimitars = 6;
const int Flag_Showed_Scimitar = 7;
const int Flag_Knows_Daughter_Was_Freed = 8;
const int Flag_Gave_Treasury_Key = 9;
const int Flag_Thanked_At_Exit_For_Rescue = 10;
const int Flag_Thanked_Again_At_Exit_For_Rescue = 11;
const int Flag_Congratulated_On_Rescue = 12;
const int Flag_Congratulated_Again_On_Rescue = 13;
const int Flag_Offered_Library_Quest = 14;
const int Flag_Accepted_Library_Quest = 15;
const int Flag_Completed_Library_Quest = 16;
const int Flag_Asked_After_Progress_Rescue_Quest = 17;
const int Flag_Asked_After_Progress_Library_Quest = 18;
const int Flag_Asked_Again_After_Progress_Rescue_Quest = 19;
const int Flag_Asked_Again_After_Progress_Library_Quest = 20;
const int Flag_Rewarded_With_Gold_Rescue_Quest = 21;
const int Flag_Rewarded_With_Gold_Library_Quest = 22;
const int Flag_Balderdash_Is_Free = 23;
const int Flag_Told_Story_Of_The_Bell = 24;
const int Flag_Showed_Paragon = 25;

mondblut

Arcane
Some of those comments are pretty outdated. According to them, Lysandra the harp still expects the Aurora tablet (as per 2005 ver), not the new item.

Joonix

Novice
How do I get the key to the Tomb of Saint George?
I placed Mistral's remains in the Catacombs and got the Key of Saints, but apparently that's not the key to the Tomb

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
The god damn password for palace is

HEFFALUMP

Also,

Q'Arl can be freed with the Dragon Key, he teaches you
Astralvision skill
in return. Can't be recruited.

Last edited:

Viata

Arcane
How do I rescue the princess without dragging her along with my party? She says if her father would know that her prison is open, he'd send soldiers to fetch her. The king also said that I should ring the bell in the tower to make his soldiers come in and help me, but I haven't encountered them despite ringing the bell.

Do I have to take her along and kick out one of my own chars? Wtf?
I had to do that. Also, thanks to bug the only time you are able to encounter her is when you meet her, eve after you take her to the palace, you don't encounter her anymore. That bug may be the reason you have to take her there.
Is it absolutely necessary to rescue Dahlia in order to complete the game? I've been playing a "no NPC party members, no PC bards, no PC deaths" playthrough, and I'd hate to violate one of these restrictions even in a transient, minor fashion.
Only to save her by killing the boss. You just then talk to her and ignore her, no need to bring her(you just gain exp for saving her).

Viata

Arcane
Alright, finally finished up the first set of areas and it's onto the Falls. I can't decide whether it's clever or ridiculously obscure the whole process with the egg.

So OK, the cosmic egg is a bit out of the way in Eyrie, but fine, it makes sense that you'd recognise the significance of birds in the story. It seems weird that you'd then want to crack such a critical item, instead of trying to hatch it or something. Deep in the Dwarven mines no less. Maybe you found the jeweled egg first? But that machine in the museum, you know it's going to do something, but I'm not sure how you're supposed to infer that the aphorism in the catacombs is connected to it. In any case, OK, at least the game telegraphs clearly that the machine is something to be tinkered with. So you have your jeweled egg, and your cosmic egg, but why would you think oh, there's that dwarven press, let's break the egg and combine the two? Finally, once you have it all, it seems very clear; the Eyrie nest description telegraphs that you're going to do something there later. So you get there with your owl and... it flies off. I guess again it's not too weird that you'd try waiting round to see if it comes back, but all in all it was pretty tough to figure out, wondering if I missed things that make it a more natural progression of events.
Remember the code that explain you how to take the jeweled egg from the machine? Well, it also explain what you do with it.

The wall has a variety of images carved into the stone in a broad mosaic.
A happy-go-lucky larrikin striding about with a trumpet.
a large cracked egg with a glowing cosmic eye within it
and an owl in flight.

There is no need to wait for it to come back, it'll find you to give the key. I was inside Samhain when it gave me the key.

mondblut

Arcane
How do I get the key to the Tomb of Saint George?
I placed Mistral's remains in the Catacombs and got the Key of Saints, but apparently that's not the key to the Tomb

Outer door needs to be lockpicked. The key is used on impassable gate deeper within.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Only to save her by killing the boss. You just then talk to her and ignore her, no need to bring her(you just gain exp for saving her).
I tried that, but then the party receives neither
the Key of the Ancients from Princess Dahlia nor the Treasury Key from Khan Raji. Although the dialogue has some indication that the Princess could be rescued by soldiers sent by the Khan, there doesn't seem to be any way of making this happen. I suppose I could simply kill both of them and take the keys, but this seems a bit churlish considering I promised to rescue her, so I'll just have to accept having had an NPC party member for two minutes and zero combats.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Damn, got all the tablets, made it all the way to the Cromlech of the Clock, but now I have no idea of what to do...

A problem with Grimoire's puzzle design is that sometimesI have no idea if the item I need to proceed is here of maybe under a rock in the other side of the world. :/

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Q'Arl can be freed with the Dragon Key, he teaches you
Astralvision skill
in return. Can't be recruited.

What does it even do? I learned it in Temple of Hathor Sogg.

No idea, you are supposed to meet
Q'Orl again in astral plane, so maybe it is relevant there.

Dragon Key
Where do you got that? Can't remember seeing it.

fswc08B.jpg

It is still gloriously broken, so you have to cheat it.

He does give 3k xp for release, which makes me think that one of the NPCs probably tells you the key location (like with the hidden treasure of Black Pierre).

But... 0 mentions in ANY of the NPCs.

Tigranes

Arcane

Remember the code that explain you how to take the jeweled egg from the machine? Well, it also explain what you do with it.

The wall has a variety of images carved into the stone in a broad mosaic.
A happy-go-lucky larrikin striding about with a trumpet.
a large cracked egg with a glowing cosmic eye within it
and an owl in flight.

There is no need to wait for it to come back, it'll find you to give the key. I was inside Samhain when it gave me the key.

True, and I forgot that that bit helped me eventually figure it out. Heh, I guess it's really unnatural to set the thing in flight then go on your merry way.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Magic ring gives flat bonus to AC, fire/frost gives resistance.

I think Ring Pro Magic also give more resistance against Sorcery or something like that.

I'm at exactly the same stage, and my impression is that offing A is part of the expected sequence of events? No need to off G, since he stays put in his room and doesn't even attack straight away.

Krone was pissed about me murdering Mordercai and I'm not sure if I met him again since killed Argosyre. Haven't been back to Smithers. Raghilda and Gorlo were in my party anyway.

I'd say that at that point, you don't need the Crowl people anyway and Trismes was still doing business with me. Except the pirates were really pissed at me for some reason - not sure if it was Crowl killings or killing Vanguard people in Kublai (and Ahriman).

It kind of seems like the criminals and the law enforcement really care about each other in Grimoire - maybe that's by design?

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Princess Dahlia? Doesn't appear again. Balderdash? Ditto. Morraha? You got it.

Cleve fixed Morraha, so she should now stay in her room where you meet her.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom