Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grimoire gameplay and hints thread

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Anyone know where the
blood gems used to open the door in Skullheim
are located?
They're located
in the initial Skulheim level; be sure you've entered every square.

I'd say that at that point, you don't need the Crowl people anyway and Trismes was still doing business with me. Except the pirates were really pissed at me for some reason - not sure if it was Crowl killings or killing Vanguard people in Kublai (and Ahriman).

It kind of seems like the criminals and the law enforcement really care about each other in Grimoire - maybe that's by design?
The game explicitly states that
Ahriman hired the Pirates to create havoc around Waterport and prevent anyone from reaching Bahomet Megalith. In the Snark Mistress, you can find a ledger detailing payments made by the Vanguard to Black Pierre and company.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Here's the map of my finished playthrough:

V4jKvwl.png

Game says I explored 92% of the world. Please tell me if you went to any area I missed.

Self-Ejected

buru5

Very Grumpy Dragon
Patron
I find lockpicking doors incredibly tedious. I know the answers to all the riddles now but I still can't unlock the doors in a timely manner because there will be multiples of the same letter. Take "rainbow" for example. There will be two or three of the letter B and only one of them is the correct one. How am I supposed to know which is the correct B to use? The higher level doors basically require save scumming.

Viata

Arcane
I find lockpicking doors incredibly tedious. I know the answers to all the riddles now but I still can't unlock the doors in a timely manner because there will be multiples of the same letter. Take "rainbow" for example. There will be two or three of the letter B and only one of them is the correct one. How am I supposed to know which is the correct B to use? The higher level doors basically require save scumming.
Force the door. Keep bumping until you can force it. Way better than lockpicking them.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

The letters are arranged in the way they appear in the word. It goes from left to right. So let's say the solution to the word puzzle is NEANDERTHAL, the letters you have to click will be these (bolded):

N K N D D R R L H J L
B E D N E E T A Y A Q
D N A E R Z K T W K Y

Also note how correct letters are never in the same row twice: if the first letter is in the middle, you know the second letter has to be either on top or bottom.

Furcas

Novice
Alternatively, just cast knock knock at it. I was able to open even a level VII door with it.

Tigranes

Arcane
Sometimes the vertical column will still have duplicate letters, in which case the problem remains; e.g. the first colum in that Neanderthal puzzle could be:

N
B
N

However, these are nowhere as common, and with a good lockpicking skill you should have one or two mistakes leeway.

I didn't know about the same row twice rule, though.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Did anyone figure out how armor class works when it overflows and becomes negative? Does adding better armor beyond the 127 maximum actually improve your defense or does the overflow to negative values result in your defense becoming worse?

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Did anyone figure out how armor class works when it overflows and becomes negative? Does adding better armor beyond the 127 maximum actually improve your defense or does the overflow to negative values result in your defense becoming worse?

In my experience, the armor was still working even when negative numbers and 000 were showing, so it's probably just a display glitch.

Tigranes

Arcane
OK, I've just reached Axis, talked to Shrike, etc. There's a lot of adjacent areas to explore, but my only lead for anything is Shrike's quest and a couple of hints about things. Where should I explore first, or is it not a big deal? Don't need a walkthrough but never a fan of backtracking and I did a ton of that in the first areas after doing the maps in a weird sequence.

Also, the weredude is now no longer in his home, but I'm assuming that's design not bug.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Backtracking is really a non-issue in Grimoire due to autowalking. If you turn off smooth scrolling, it takes literally a second to cross a whole map.

The weredude is there after you get the assignment from Shrike.

As to where to go, it's up to you. That's what makes this part of the game fun.

Tigranes

Arcane
I met him before reaching Axis, and now he's not there. How odd.

I'm happy to explore and I agree that's the point. Autowalk + Never Encs (which seem to sort of work now) does make it a breeze, but I've never been a fan of it, so wanted to check if I was missing anythign super obvious.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Yeah, there seems to be a bug that some NPC's disappear after you meet them for the first time. As to no random encounters, that always worked.

Tigranes

Arcane
Well, found Morraha, and although she's meant to be fixed, talking to her then re-entering the room doesn't trigger her. I might need to start again from the very start of Lalain Falls if this bug means I won't ever find Elias either? He seems pretty important given it's Shrike's questline.

Viata

Arcane
Well, found Morraha, and although she's meant to be fixed, talking to her then re-entering the room doesn't trigger her. I might need to start again from the very start of Lalain Falls if this bug means I won't ever find Elias either? He seems pretty important given it's Shrike's questline.
I never did Shrike's questline.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron

You won't finish Shrike's questline anyway, unless you want to side with Ahriman all the way. And Morraha is only important for the password to the Palace.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
I found an axe
called Massacre in the chest behind Princess Dahlia at the end of Skulheim
which seemed a good fit for my berserker, but he can't attack with it equipped and I can't figure out why (it isn't caused by a shield or lack thereof). Did anyone else run into this problem?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom