Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grimoire gameplay and hints thread

mondblut

Arcane
the oldschoolness reminds me of classic games I never got to play.

What are you waiting for, then? I know Crusaders of the Dark Savant and World of Xeen ain't going anywhere, but it's not like there are any better RPGs nowadays.

Edmund Spenser

Educated
Honestly I consider the sprite art in this game to be pretty decent, especially since it was all one guy.

The portraits on the other hand...:negative:

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
The Last Wizardry games like 7&8 are especially fun and playable nowadays and if you enjoyed Grimoire you will enjoy those too
World of Xeen is IMO the pinacle of that series too and the cartoony art style has made it age relatively well

Diggfinger

Arcane

What are you waiting for, then? I know Crusaders of the Dark Savant and World of Xeen ain't going anywhere, but it's not like there are any better RPGs nowadays.

World of Xeen I've completed already!

But I was pushing my limits, older than that and I fear my enjoyment starts to fade. But who knows, after Grimoire sky's the limit
:thumbsup:

Last edited:

Dorateen

Arcane

But I was pushing my limits, older than that and I fear my enjoyment starts to fade. But who knows, after Grimoire sky's the limit

Isles of Terra is largely done in the same style. You can try that if it isn't on your list of completed games.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2

Isles of Terra is largely done in the same style. You can try that if it isn't on your list of completed games.
Yup I actually prefer Terra to Xeen... maybe it is nostalgia talking but it is also an excellent game

Diggfinger

Arcane
Honestly I consider the sprite art in this game to be pretty decent, especially since it was all one guy.
Cleve, a guy ? Yeah, like James Kirk is just a captain. Cleve is not "a guy", he is "the guy".

KIIaDBO.jpg

Darth Canoli

Arcane
The Last Wizardry games like 7&8 are especially fun and playable nowadays and if you enjoyed Grimoire you will enjoy those too
World of Xeen is IMO the pinacle of that series too and the cartoony art style has made it age relatively well

That's the good thing about Grimoire, after playing trying to enjoy that thing, there's no limit anymore, even M&M 1 looks terribly amazing; i know M&M I fans are sharpening their rusted swords as they read; i am considering replaying MM VI and VII with the "new" mods while playing Wiz & Warriors (this one is painful, i have to admit, even when working "perfectly" ) and World of Xeen, the latter being far more amazing than i remembered.

Punch

aaaaaa
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Just got this and I'm even taking enjoyment out of trying to figure out how the game works lol. Trying to clear the first dungeon, got past the snake with that revival rod thing. All non-insect encounters are very difficult but since I'm not sure if this game is broken or I'm just dumb at making a party and/or playing it, I'll reserve judgement for later. Guess I'm too used to Might and Magic.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Just got this and I'm even taking enjoyment out of trying to figure out how the game works lol. Trying to clear the first dungeon, got past the snake with that revival rod thing. All non-insect encounters are very difficult but since I'm not sure if this game is broken or I'm just dumb at making a party and/or playing it, I'll reserve judgement for later. Guess I'm too used to Might and Magic.

Do yourself a favor and replay Isles of Terra or Xeen (the latter had some user friendly improvements but somewhat lacks the first one's charm, alongside a couple of things, like hirelings ), you could also try the "spawn mod" which change the game's balance in many ways.

Or Wizardry 8 + speed mods (animation + monster's turn ).

Grimoire is like an overpriced used car that always breaks-down.

Punch

aaaaaa
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy

Thanks! I've cleared the aquavia successufully. Finally got past that gang ambush at the forest and I'm now at the adjacent town, at this point I really have no complaints about the game.

There's some stuff that is still obscure to me but I think I get most of the game's mechanics now.... only after leaving the aquavia and meeting Rosy for the third time did I find out how to recruit her. Shameful dispray.

Grimoire is like an overpriced used car that always breaks-down.

A guy with a Lada Niva got third place in the 1981 Paris-Dakar, makes you think.

Dorateen

Arcane
GandGolf

I read your post expressing concern about the negative reception that happens in Crowl at a certain point.

It's not that big a deal in terms of anything that needs to be changed. We're talking about a handful of characters, and at least one who stays friendly. The NPC interactions have a built in mechanic to negotiate, bribe and talk down anyone from a hostile disposition. Furthermore, by the time players reach this point, you will be almost finished with Crowl anyway. Of course, you can always return to Crowl, Grimoire being an open world and all. They say time has a way of healing emotional wounds.

As far as this in context of the story:

While Argosyre was a charlatan, and evil priest who sucked the life out of Crowl, he pretended to be a caretaker. The villagers are ignorant of the conspiracy with the Horror. So when they first learn about his death, naturally the NPCs are upset. Again, it's nothing that can't be remedied in game.

youhomofo

Augur
Ok, for you autists who have finished this the greatest masterpiece ever devised by thalkind, I gotta ask: wtf party should I start with?

Should I roll 8 characters or 6 and pick up NPCs? Recommended classes for my party?

I started with 8 characters and played for a while before discovering that my skill points don't save if I don't spend them all when I get them. So restarting. Yay!

Help me make the best party, please and thank you.

mondblut

Arcane
wtf party should I start with?

Is that the part where the wise zen master smacks the stupid student with a stick and says he's got it all wrong? :roll:

Should I roll 8 characters or 6 and pick up NPCs?

No, NPCs are for the weak. If you want wizards or thaumaturds, I guess you could drop one in favor of Rosie, who is definitely superior to anything you have rolled early on. But you don't really need mages other than sage.

Recommended classes for my party?

Sage is a must, so is bard. Add a couple of rangers and fill the rest with berserkers for an ultimate rapetrain.

Help me make the best party

The decline is strong in this one. The best party is the one you figured out yourself after a number of failed approaches. Regardless, what you'd figure out is that you only need a sage, a bard and a lot of berserkers. :smug:

To double down on exploiting, your bard should have very high speed - always quicker than the rest of the party - then all asskickers should be grouped very tightly together speedwise, and the sage a little bit behind them. Bard puts everyone to sleep -> everybody has their way with helpless monsters at once -> sage puts back to sleep anyone who awakened and had survived, rinse and repeat.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Ok, for you autists who have finished this the greatest masterpiece ever devised by thalkind, I gotta ask: wtf party should I start with?

Should I roll 8 characters or 6 and pick up NPCs? Recommended classes for my party?

I started with 8 characters and played for a while before discovering that my skill points don't save if I don't spend them all when I get them. So restarting. Yay!

Help me make the best party, please and thank you.
Look up information in this forum about which races are suited to which classes (the game itself provides some tips). As for classes, go with four warrior types (including a ranger and a berserker) and four spell-caster types (including a sage and a cleric). If you want to make the game much easier, then recruit Little Rosy at the beginning and more NPCs later on.

For my own party, I used a Leonar Warrior, Barrower Berserker, Wolfin Ranger, Naga Thief, Aeorb Sage, Drow Wizard, Feyfolk Thaumaturge, and Durendil Cleric, which worked out alright (IIRC, Drow turned out to have slow magic regeneration, though). A bard would have made things easier, but I detest RPG bards.

sebas

Scholar
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
So, how does this look:

2 x dorf Berserker>Pirate
2 x wolf Ranger > Warrior
1 x Aeorb Sage > Cleric
1 x Rhattu Thief > Assassin
1 x Fey Necro > Wizard
1 x Fey Bard > Jester

Not sure about Ranger Path or starting without a Cleric. I guess I could replace the thief with a Durendil Cleric > Templar?

Dorateen

Arcane
Looks like a capable party to me. Your sage will carry the bulk of the healing early on. Just be aware, it is very difficult to go go from bard to jester, and a feyfolk could make it harder, because of their low strength attribute. You might be able to do it if you get 5 or 6 bonus points each level up, but that character will probably be a bard for a long time, until the end game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom