Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grimoire Thread

Mech

Cipher
What is this? Someone not completely incompetent is working on Grimoire? Shit, this game might actually get less fucked within my lifetime.

Snorkack

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
What is this? Someone not completely incompetent is working on Grimoire? Shit, this game might actually get less fucked within my lifetime.
I wouldn't sweat it...
(1) - Shams's current task

--- Engine Tasks (Sorted) ---
(1) - Replace Fastgraph with OpenGL.
:D :D :D
Prepare for more years of micro-issues.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Shit, this game might actually get less fucked within my lifetime.

bethestard.png

PhantasmaNL

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria
An Official Grimoire Roadmap, coordinated by Shams, good news.

Cleve is probably too busy deadlifting Toyota pickup trucks filled with concrete and the new contracting job (17 hour daily commute, one way).

:Flash:

Arcane
If Shams is seriously thinking about directly interacting with OpenGL instead of using something like SDL or SFML, then I can't help him.

Country_Gravy

Arcane
Patron
Wasteland 2
Cleve should put his gym stories in Grimoire manual. I'd buy that for a dollar.

Free tip to all bros. Try doing a pre exhaust before you do any kind of pullover to exhaust your arms and force yourself to pull with your lats. I would only do it once a week tops but seriously you will not believe the difference. I did this on a Wednesday and awoke Saturday morning to hear the ripping sound of my T-Shirt as two gigantic dragon wings emerged on my back.

Also, do the deadlift at least three times a month to failure. If I am a crusty undead mummy still getting results on this stuff imagine what vital healthy young bros can expect doing these things. Flush the steroids down the sink and try this sh*t it works that is the truth.
Fag
Your name is Country Gravy, ffs.

Is it Billie Bob's gravy on your face, or Tex Cobb's gravy up your ass?

It's my sausage gravy right down your mom's throat.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
None of the stuff on Sham's list is something that needed to be doing

Also regarding the manual, Cleve should have just published a manual old-school style, with lots of ambiguous wording making everything even more unclear

Some of the people on Steam are just :negative:

Biggus

Scholar
Roadmap? Manual? Roadmap to where and manual for what? More's the point, why?

What planet are these people on? 10 freaking people are playing this trainwreck. Who in their right mind is going to spend 100s of manhours, maybe 1000s, to try and fix the unfixable?
hmm, I may have just answered my own question there :)

Funny Pathetic to see the few remaining fanboys still coming up with excuses as to why their pet game is languishing.
Hello people, the manual ain't out because the game stats don't do what Calvin says they do. The wiki tells us what should (might) be the case with the stats, but Decline tells us differently. THIS is why the manual ain't here and won't be here for some time, and when or if we do ever see it, you can bet your life that the game (and the numbers under the hood) will play very differently than it does now.

Calvin himself is strangely quiet. We should await the onslaught that must inevitably come.

PEACH

Arbiter
Cleve sure gets you hot and bothered, eh old bean?

The manual will come when it comes, just like the game did. Anyone with even a peripheral interest in Grimoire should have realized it by now.

And yes, I think we all know that the manual's delay isn't merely because he's an amateur typist. He's got a lot of work to put into fixing stats/bugs/balance and no one here is under any other impression than the one you propose: the manual will coincide with redesigns that change the game substantially due to many issues with current mechanics and features not working as intended.

In other news: grass is still green.

If it comes next Friday, cool. If it doesn't, cool. Game is excellent as is and I doubt any patch will sway anyone who can't see that by now.

Biggus

Scholar
Cleve doesn't get me hot and bothered. He is demonstrably a raving loon, so umm, yeah.

Nah, not Cleve, what gets me going is people trying to defend the game, pretending it is something that it isn't. Making excuses as to why the sales are pathetic, and rubbishing everyone (the other 99.9999999% of people) who dares to disagree. I am long past caring about manuals. The manual won't make a whit of difference. The game is broken and Cleve is not capable of fixing it, end of. The game is a shining example of 'almost'.

As you point out, the manual will indeed coincide with substantial changes to the game, but this is the whole point, it isn't 'we all know', you know, I know, but the fanboys are not saying this, the fanboys live in this delusional world where the word of Cleve is gospel, where things work in game as they should, and that stats are there for all to see and hey, if you don't know what they are you must be a noob, so go read the wiki and all will be revealed, blah blah. Yeah right. The wiki tells us what may have once been the case, but over the course of two decades has ceased to be.

Grass is indeed green, and Grimoire is a broken, buggy, clunky, out of time, could have been.

Onya Clive, you got what you deserved. Ridicule and scorn. Karma much.

Biggus

Scholar
Trust me, I couldn't give a flying fuck about Clive or his game. I never thought I'd be into schadenfreude, but hey, first time for everything eh?

I wanted it to be a good game, I had enough goes at it over enough time. The clown behind it was secondary to the game itself. Sadly, it is a trainwreck, much like the fat dunce who wrote it.

Some people enjoyed it, and more power to them, but that doesn't make it a good game, which is the thing I do object to. People stating that Grimoire is some sort of masterpiece, when all it is is an example of great ideas without the skill or training or discipline to implement them.

Anyway, arguing here is pointless, so I think I will call it a day for a while though I'll just keep an eye out for Calvin, he needs someone to keep him in line, and of course he needs targets to vent on. I wonder though if he really still thinks he wrote a great game, or is he really so delusional that he thinks it is all everyone else's fault but his. The latter probably. Can you imagine working with this guy, or having a night down the pub with him? It would be like something out of the Twilight Zone, or Alternate Reality... now there's a good game! :)

mondblut

Arcane
None of the stuff on Sham's list is something that needed to be doing

Well, while I am not a coder, esoteric graphic libraries from the 90s have notoriously poor backward compatibility with modern OSes. Cleve did update the thing for Windows 7, but who knows what happens when Windows 12 or 15 is out? At least OpenGL is a contemporary standart which is going to stay around more or less forever.

GandGolf

Augur
Shams
iconGames.png
18 Oct @ 12:02pm
Everyone, *please* tone this down. We are here to discuss Grimoire, avoid any personal attacks. If it was up to me, I would insta-ban anyone posting personal attacks :P

There is no need for that. Cleve perma-bans anyone and everyone who disagrees with him in the slightest.

Speaking of which, does Shams
iconGames.png
have a codex account?

Kage

Barely Literate
Why are the Steam ratings so damn important to anyone?

Yeah, if they are too low than less money will be made, but then this game isn't for everyone, and for as long as it isn't for everyone, it can't get high ratings, plain and simple. You either want more users and a more general appeal, or you don't. On Steam, there is no choice in this matter, the Steam rating is a single dimension. Once the ratings get low enough, fewer people will randomly purchase, so fewer people will be randomly unhappy with their purchase, and those who really want to play this specific fine game will do so no matter the ratings, because old school blobber, and a good adventure.

The politics shit should have been left out of the game release altogether. Cleve kind of reminds me of what I imagine Robert E. Howard could have been if internet was around back then. I'd probably have a fun time with him in a pub now and then even if we walked away pissing each other off on, yes, exactly, politics. It is silly to think you can make any statements without a social backlash - never happened in the world, so it probably should have been channeled separately from the game development. Cleve did not separate it, and any SJW vs A-R ensuing is the unnecessary consequence of attaching politics to your trademark - detracting from the game itself.

That said, both the SJW narcissists and A-R narcissists attach too much importance to their own participation in the Steam ratings and on the Steam community (and to themselves everywhere else too). I suppose neither get it - their dehumanizing each other doesn't matter shit. Experiencing this game, is what matters.

Not even the semantics used to describe the game's flaws matter. Interestingly, Cleve himself has also spent quite some energy to disagree on these semantics. Again, this disagreement detracts from the game itself and almost certainly would have been better for the trademark if channeled differently. There are much more beneficial ways to deal with rude and mean.

It seems to me as if Cleve let himself get provoked into releasing earlier than intended, and maybe we are better for it - in spite of noted flaws, the game is finally out of the bag. Sad if Cleve got into a hardship for it, though the call to release was entirely his. Hope he gets through it and gets the game all done shiny and polished as it deserves to be.

The manual encompassing all the rules can unlikely be finished without all the rules being implemented. Perhaps it would have been better if Cleve didn't let this task swell each time to make up for the last time everyone was unhappy with the release - I get the feeling, but releasing many times, with regularity, in baby steps, is actually good - it won't impress any children, but it will seal the deal. From experience, I don't believe in small or single-man teams delivering monolithic releases, at least not without extensive regression-testing, or just plain extensive versioning with a good diff tool to help detect updates which break things. I would recommend that as the number one priority for further development on Grimoire. Updates which break things are the main reason I recently stopped playing - I'll just wait it out until Cleve is done, and start again. I don't have the time to re-test and re-learn how to best use the same skills after a change, so I'll just wait for the manual, and the rate of change to slow down, before I continue playing.

(I am about 40 hours in. Like some others, I only have about an hour or two a day to play, if that. So I will be quite enjoying this game for a very long time no matter if it is 100 or 600 long, again, once the delay is over)

Rpguy

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Cleve is back on steam, commenting on being broke:

I had to drive over half of Melbourne today to be screamed at by customers who are not even paying me any money about features they expected that were never written in any requirements document. The gas alone plus tolls on the M3 cost me about $60. I may have to get a second job to support my contracting "job." Luckily the clients agreed that after I add the new features that were never mentioned before they intend to pay me some money but first I have to prove I can add these features and deploy and test them. Actually I may have to get a night shift in addition to my second job so I can afford to run a contracting company. With the profits from Grimoire so far I was able to afford a subway sandwich as well as a chocolate chip cookie but am now almost broke again. This is called the Neanderthal business model.

And DRM:

I totally understand this argument and frankly it is quite valid. I appreciate this myself as an owner of Steam games. This is the reason people feel so good about GOG because you don't need GOG to play a game you have purchased there.
It sucks to even have to think about DRM but there are so many malicious people who will not only pirate the game, they will mod it and reupload it and create hacking communities around a game they never even purchased.
If I had my way I would never even consider DRM for any game I ever made but the 2% ruin it for all as always.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
The lowest number on SteamSpy & SteamDB is about 2,000 copies. At $40, that's $80k. Even if you remove the 10% discount, 30% Steam cut, backer keys, taxes and what not he should've got at least around $30-40k.

That's more than enough to fulfill the remaining IndieGoGo promises.

PrettyDeadman

I am going to repurchase the game then it comes out on GOG.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom