Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grimoire Thread

Dorateen

Arcane
GOLDEN ERA GAMES [developer] 7 hours ago
It will go to GOG.com and other avenues in the future but when V2 is released with the manual on Steam there will be a very big sale price that might not ever be offered again. If you buy it then, your purchase will transfer to GOG as well when it goes to that platform.

Yosharian

Arcane
I know nothing at all about this game, can I get a quick summary of why it might be worth playing? You guys sold me on Elex which turned out to be decent.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
I know nothing at all about this game, can I get a quick summary of why it might be worth playing? You guys sold me on Elex which turned out to be decent.
Pros:
Authentically old-school feel, specifically of turn-based blobbers, and even more specifically of Wizardry VII
Vast environment for exploration, with a substantial amount of non-linearity even in the first phase of the game, and extreme non-linearity once you pass the first phase
Many options in character creation and progression (party of 8)
Well-designed dungeons with puzzles that make for fun exploration
Not one but two giant turtles that are rideable

Cons:
Combat is a tad repetitive and direly in need of rebalancing
Lack of a manual deprived newbies of crucial information
More than six microissues remaining, although these have mostly been resolved through patches

Verdict: Despite its problems, definite incline
incline.png

kA3m1cp.png

Generic-Giant-Spider

A lot of people will tell you to wait for the manual before committing, but there's nothing better than loading up an RPG for the first time, seeing the UI, and feeling like a mindflayer just cuddlefucked your brain.

In fact, if an RPG that touts itself as old school doesn't make me feel like a retard that randomly convulses while in a wheelchair then it failed on delivering that old school promise.

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual
Boring combat.

Hit battle button and wait while annoying clang sounds play.

No battle speed option.

No resolve combat option.

It's retarded play that has been fixed by better games in the last 25 years.

Verdict: Would not buy again.

Disclaimer: I got it for free.

Zep--

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Is there a story in this game, and is it a concrete one that adds to the experience versus being a minor addition? I'm interested in trying it just due to the sheer hype that this game has gotten on this forum, but story is really important to me.

Dorateen

Arcane
Is there a story in this game

ZiVQlOR.jpg

q5Hw0vt.jpg

a4IwG8z.jpg

Of course, as the Entity would tell you, what at first might seem like an adventure of exploring dungeons and killing monsters is in reality a much deeper journey of self discovery, wrestling with terrible forces in conflict with each other. The eternal struggle of life and death itself.

Melan

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! I helped put crap in Monomyth
The game has genuinely good writing. It has imagination, it has wit, and it has bits and pieces of wisdom. It follows in the footsteps of David W. Bradley without aping him - the voice is very much its own.

I would take a look at the superdemo. It is not the final game, but it is fairly representative of the kind of content you get. Play through the two starter dungeons (Shrine of the Raptor and Aquavia), visit the village of Crowl, and if you like what you see, buy the full game. It is an artefact of an older time.

Citizen

I'm still waiting for a gog version, replaying superdemo once in a while. Maybe I should just pirate, but it feels so wrong. I would never be able to look honest people in the eye again, or rate cleve's post 'funny' without a feeling of shame deep inside my soul.

Sankari

Novice
Do not despair, my friend! Let us keep the morale high, for there will be a triumphant day when we get the gog version. Cleve did deliver once, right? Right?

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Boring combat.

Hit battle button and wait while annoying clang sounds play.

No battle speed option.

No resolve combat option.

It's retarded play that has been fixed by better games in the last 25 years.

Verdict: Would not buy again.

Disclaimer: I got it for free.

Zep--

Zep Zepo

:bro:
I'd add the first 4 dungeons have the exact same monsters but some of them might have a boss whom you can OS (the mummy boss with the cursed bone dagger)

You need an item from dungeon A for solving dungeon B but you also need items from dungeons C and D for solving A and of course, you need the item from dungeons A and B to solve dungeon C and D plus you need to combine those items to solve those dungeons and get out of the first area.

More linear than this shit, it's called a retarded console game.

You get to fight overpowered monsters in the first city, which you can reach level 1.

I replayed wizardry 7, in normal mode, the early fights are extremely easy (in hard mode, you can still make it)

Swimming is as retarded as in wiz 7 (although it might be worse in wiz 7, like 4 points in the skill and you can't even practice, you just put one foot inside a pond and you drown )

Not being able to make some improvements over a 30 years old game while developing it for 25 years is an achievement by itself, the guy is the worst game developer in the whole multiverse.

Is there a story in this game, and is it a concrete one that adds to the experience versus being a minor addition? I'm interested in trying it just due to the sheer hype that this game has gotten on this forum, but story is really important to me.

ItsChon

If you enjoy reading the story and the dialog in the small game dialog window, there might be one, i admit i probably just read 1/3 of what was thrown at me and almost became blind.

makchanka

Arbiter
Cleve? A good writer? Cleve doesn't even know the difference between "it's" and "its," and he struggles to maintain basic coherence. Shit, it's been over a year since he'd promised the manual. If it's that hard for him to put together a game manual, there's no way the guy knows how to write prose.

Rpguy

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
GOLDEN ERA GAMES [developer] 58 minutes ago
This game will go on sale to coincide with the one year anniversary of release and to celebrate the new V2 with additional content that will accompany the manual.

For every person who has bought the game legally, there are a dozen people who have stolen the game. The game has had no protection, it has relied on the honor system. The people who are stealing the game are not stealing it because it is overpriced. They are stealing the game because they feel entitled to steal things they want that it is an inconvenience to pay for. They'd steal Grimoire if it was .99 cents. They'd steal it if it were free. They are not the people that Grimoire was written for but they are too crass to realize they were never invited to this party. All they know is that it is another shiny thing they can steal. Such people are likely to steal from their own mothers in addition to stealing games on the internet they decide they are entitled to. They have a thousand reasons they claim it's not wrong to do so - I have only one reason I know for such behavior. Their frontal lobes are underdeveloped or absent. That's why they steal stuff. Less brain is never better than more brain, but less brain can make you think that somehow, less brain is better than more brain.

The big discount is not being floated to encourage the degenerates who stole and played Grimoire to pay for it. It's to make the game accessible to people who genuinely could not afford it when it was released and have been waiting for it hoping it would come down to something more reasonable for their budgets. It is correct to say that a game should naturally come down in price over time and Grimoire will soon be a year old in release, a good time to bring the price down permanently in the wake of a sale. I have no problem with bringing the price down for somebody who has been waiting a year to be able to afford it. The sale price will remain a secret but it should be within almost anybody's budget for a week or so.

Bohr

Arcane
GOLDEN ERA GAMES [developer] 58 minutes ago
This game will go on sale to coincide with the one year anniversary of release and to celebrate the new V2 with additional content that will accompany the manual.

For every person who has bought the game legally, there are a dozen people who have stolen the game. The game has had no protection, it has relied on the honor system. The people who are stealing the game are not stealing it because it is overpriced. They are stealing the game because they feel entitled to steal things they want that it is an inconvenience to pay for. They'd steal Grimoire if it was .99 cents. They'd steal it if it were free. They are not the people that Grimoire was written for but they are too crass to realize they were never invited to this party. All they know is that it is another shiny thing they can steal. Such people are likely to steal from their own mothers in addition to stealing games on the internet they decide they are entitled to. They have a thousand reasons they claim it's not wrong to do so - I have only one reason I know for such behavior. Their frontal lobes are underdeveloped or absent. That's why they steal stuff. Less brain is never better than more brain, but less brain can make you think that somehow, less brain is better than more brain.

The big discount is not being floated to encourage the degenerates who stole and played Grimoire to pay for it. It's to make the game accessible to people who genuinely could not afford it when it was released and have been waiting for it hoping it would come down to something more reasonable for their budgets. It is correct to say that a game should naturally come down in price over time and Grimoire will soon be a year old in release, a good time to bring the price down permanently in the wake of a sale. I have no problem with bringing the price down for somebody who has been waiting a year to be able to afford it. The sale price will remain a secret but it should be within almost anybody's budget for a week or so.

Also the one year anniversary of the "for aristocrats not the masses, never go on sale" post :salute:

bpxFqCfs_o.png

Nyast

Cipher
For every person that has bought the game, there are hundreds of people who have stolen it ! What do I say ? Millions. If not billions ! All scumm, I tell' ya.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom