Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grimoire Thread

Dreed

Bremsstrahlunged
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Happy Birthday Grimoire!
troll_23.png
:ibelieveincleve:

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual
I may update the DECLINE editor for V2, provided there are no drastic changes to the format of files.

Zep--

Parsifarka

Arcane
Master Thal subdues yet another butthurt reviewer:

After spouting this rapist ally fantasy
May I suggest eliminating the gender difference? It's a little chauvanist, as it makes the idea of a party of all women ridiculous if one is trying to minmax. If there needs to be a noticable difference between the genders, why not have it be race specific and/or affect other stats aside from str and fel in other races? Maybe giant or aeorb females are bigger and stronger than males (as is the case in many species of animal and insect)? And maybe drow females get a boost to int and/or wis whereas drow males get a boost to str/con like in the D&D games? There are plenty of ways to do this that would lead to more diverse and strategic party creation without singling females out completely as someone you just use for barter and diplomacy then ditch when a better npc roles allong. (this conjures up the image of her waiting back at town cooking and cleaning waiting for her men to return, lol)

-which was elegantly dismissed by the developer- the afraid wimpy ??sap?? proceeded to write the following review full of wrath, confusion and despair
Eh...what can I say? The game is definately archaic, but to a fault. While it has great nostalgic value, all the problems with the old Wizardry/Might and Magic type games are also present here, including ambiguous or confusing puzzles, steep learning curve, and lack of balance between character options.

Also, for some strange reason, there is a small difference between male and female characters, regardless of race or class. Females are weaker but supposedly have a bonus somewhere else, either agility or fellowship (charisma), but the reports about this are varied. Other players have stated that they don't feel this impacts gameplay significantly, but in that case, why is it present? I attempted to have a discussion with others regarding this detail, and this was the developers reply to my post; "This was a great troll post, I loved it. Some people's SJW interpretations are incredible, they are even funnier than actual SJWs.
JUST PUT THE SOY MILK DOWN AND PUSH AWAY FROM THE TABLE."
https://steamcommunity.com/app/650670/discussions/0/1471967529573110571/?ctp=25#c1762481957318116916
I guess being called a social justice warrior is supposed to be insulting? In which case I think it's a little messed up to insult someone for proposing a suggestion in the thread you pinned for suggestions. Additionally, he also deleted a thread I started about this subject. Between these experiences and other activity and reviews I have seen, I have concluded that this developer is a bully.

The controls regarding combat and character actions are complicated and confusing and take a lot of getting used to, but I suppose it's as streamlined as it can be for a game of this type.

Lots of beautiful hand-made content, but nothing I haven't seen in dozens of old games. The game adds nothing new or valuable to the genre. The music and sound affects are also hand made, and typically annoying. I will never get the sound of a group of bandits singing "Hidey Hidey Ho!" over and over and over again out of my head.

Some minor technical problems too. Game won't minimize, messing with resolution can cause black screen only fixable by deleting a config file, not 1 but 2 time consuming splash/loading screens, tooltips are often too generalized and there's no transparency regarding the options for character and party creation. So you kind of have to guess at it and start over several times to find out what works good with what and on who.

Many people complain about the lack of manual, largely because the promise of a manual has been dangling out there for quite a while. I can say that this doesn't surprise me, the game has so many complicated calculations and logistics crammed into it that the manual, when released, will likely read like stereo assembly instructions, or be of no help at all.

Overall, I'd say you are better off finding and buying the old games you miss for a fraction of what the developer is charging for this game. You won't be missing much except for length, terrible interface, and over-complexity of gameplay.

Edit: To prove my point, this developer, in addition to leaving the rather nasty comment below, has also banned me from the game forum in retailiation to my review, just like he has done to some other reviewers before me. I would like to clarify; I was never insulted about the gender differences in this or any other games. I merely made a suggestion in the forum that the other races could have other kinds of gender differences, and gave reasons as to why it makes sense in support of my suggestion. I AM, however, insulted by the developers reaction. That is all.

To which Mr. Blakemore responded pithily
Congratulations on writing one of the most political and irrelevant reviews of Grimoire ever. As I said, you're a parody of LGBT militant social change activism. I cannot believe you expect anybody to think you were the least bit interested in this game for any other reason than pretending to be a casual reviewer and then giving the game a bad review.

Grimoire is not a safe space for people like you and I recommend you to the other ten thousand games on Steam. This one is NOT for you and you are NOT the target audience for the game. If you'd never come here, you'd have never been offended, right? You made the choice to come here into this unsafe space around a known internet bully like me and choose to be mind raped by my offensive and antisocial game about adventure in an imaginary far-off land. You weren't invited and only came here to feign indignation. For the life of me, I can't see anything reasonable in your review.
:salute:

Steam trembles. Incline keeps inclining.

Citizen

?MELONHEAD? is just butthurt, but his idea of race specific gender differences is very cool. If I'm ever doing an RPG I would steal this.

Bohr

Arcane
Sure Cleve called the reviewer a gay neckbeard tranny, but were they also banned?

After going to the Grimoire forum on Steam and finding the reviewer's threads deleted I guess that would be a yes...

Just checked out that suggestions thread:

GandGolf 4 Aug @ 8:57am

In some of the other threads and walkthroughs I heard that if you kill the samhain horror and then enter the temple from the back that Argus will attack you. Then if you kill Argus the entire village of Crowl will become hostile to you. That seems a bit extreme. Would you be willing to add an option for a more peaceful path maybe where you can talk Argus out of the fight, or at least not have the whole town turn hostile if you kill him in self defense?

Posting suggestions based on walkthroughs for a game you said you'd never buy as you don't like Cleve's political beliefs... is an impressive level of obsession even by Codex standards :lol:

Salute :salute:

(Unless you pirated it in the end, after all)

Dorateen

Arcane
GOLDEN ERA GAMES
View Profile
View Posts
[developer] 14 hours ago

I have taken enormous pains not to break existing savegames with the addition of the new content. I have a test save file I use every commit to make sure they still work. The loading of new maps is working seamlessly. Unfortunately this meant I could not exceed the upper limit of 1024 items for the game, a bit disappointing but I was able to squeeze in a dozen new items that are very important in the game.

Rpguy

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
GOLDEN ERA GAMES [developer] 24 Aug @ 2:08am

Getting close to V2, don't know if will make it in August but trying to work on it every day at least a couple of hours. At present there is no date set for the wishlist drive to end, will just watch it to decide what price to set when the game is in pre-release. Likely I will talk to Matt Barton before V2 goes up. If he is interested in talking to me on his web channel.

Rpguy

Arcane
Patron
The second release of Grimoire at the one year anniversary of the game's release is progressing well! Brand new inventory workshop (see and sort all items, now apply all special crafts for classes) is done and extremely helpful during gameplay, almost changes the whole experience! In addition to new regions, new NPCs, new story lines, new enhancements to gameplay and two new title screens!

Many players have complained about the high initial price of Grimoire compared to other roleplaying games on Steam. We are considering a major price discount at the release of V2 and you can help decide what it will be!

Before we release V2, we will set the sale price according to the wishlist volume on Steam according to the figures below!

Permanent & Sale price reductions at launch of V2 :

10K Wishlist = $29.95, Sale Price $24.95
25K Wishlist = $24.95, Sale Price $19.95
50K Wishlist = $19.95, Sale Price $9.95
100K Wishlist = $9.95, Permanent & Sale Price

If you want lower the price permanently on the Steam store both for V2 and any future updates, you can help by getting your friends to wishlist the game and encouraging other Steam users to wishlist it. This is a chance to make the game affordable permanently for diehard fans of turn-based old skool roleplaying games!

Keep watching this page for further updates on our progress on V2, it is going to be even more awesome than the first release of Grimoire - if that can be imagined !!!

Currently the wishlist count is at 36,224 which means the game will cost 19.95$ max...

GOLDEN ERA GAMES [developer] 25 Aug @ 5:38am

This is an update for the game to address any of the incomplete parts of Grimoire, including the manual. The updated game will be available to all previous owners as a simple patch like updates are applied now.

Rpguy

Arcane
Patron
So 2 shocking news: the game will be cheaper and V2 won't be out by August. ( I say shocking because Cleve promised otherwise for both )

Dorateen

Arcane
GOLDEN ERA GAMES
View Profile
View Posts
[developer] 12 hours ago

When the game was released, many of the special classes were still kind of rough when it came to the item workshop and general specialization. Wait until you see the changes I have introduced, it's almost a new game altogether!

Some party members can sharpen and forge weapons and armor, but will excel best if they find a forge to work at.

Some party members can make poisons for blades, mix and combine potions, herbs and reagents, but if they find and light a hearth to work at, they will find far better success in this regard.

Some party members can bless weapons and give them an enchanted aura to make them hit magical creatures, but they will have best success if they find a shrine to do this at.

The specialty classes have acquired a lot more usefulness on top of their existing functionality, which really adds to the fun and the feeling you get that you are running a "party" like in traditional D&D.

I had to think about this quite a bit after the release to get it right, it was not obvious until I tried some experimentation and decided it was a much better play mechanic than what was there.

I have almost used up all the available slots for dungeon features so one of the biggest problems has been squeezing out a new slot to stick the forge and thaumaturgy workshop benches into. These are now scattered around in the game and when you find one it will be automatically marked on the map for you.

Tse Tse Fly

Savant
Mid-September, late-November, sometime in 2019 or even later -- no matter, I will wait for however long it takes. Too many games to play other than GRIMOIRE.

Last edited:

Agame

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
Even if V2 is released in September we all know half of these new systems he is introducing will be broken and require months of patching. But to be honest I would not have it any other way, the crazy train ride that has been Grimoires development and release is so enjoyable I will be quite upset on the day it is finally and definitively FINISHED and FEATURE COMPLETE.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom