Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grunker's Divinity: Original Sin Co-op Mechanics Discussion Thread

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
Grunker, man...I dunno. I mean, maybe you have a point. Maybe not. But we've gotten to the point in this thread that when I see your avatar now I immediately go "Dude shut up. Shut up. Fuck off. Shut up shut up shut up" with every subsequent post. So like, just shut the fuck up and deal with it already.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
putting on hold because you might miss some of it makes me a sad bunny

Employing the same strawman in the post after you just used it won't make it more true bro.

mean I am trying really hard not to kill your hype by giving examples, but let's say this is no AoD

Hype? What hype? My expectations for this game were basically non-existant. I only remembered it existed when Angthoron send me a reminder over PM.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
It was me, not Inf. This should give you all a place to discuss this burning issue, which will benefit both those who care and those who don't.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Employing the same strawman in the post after you just used it won't make it more true bro.

Hype? What hype? My expectations for this game were basically non-existant. I only remembered it existed when Angthoron send me a reminder over PM.

Then why the hell you care so much about this fucking gimmick?

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Then why the hell you care so much about this fucking gimmick?

I don't get it - I've said thrice now it's a simple problem with a simple solution. The fact that I wasn't really that hyped for the game combined with the fact that Larian themselves have said they recognize the problem is exactly what gives me the patience to put the co-op playthrough on hold till they present their idea of a fix.

It's not me lamenting that pause, it's you, mr. Sad Bunny.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Well congratulations on being the guy demanding an 'everyone is happy :^)' solution, the irony is if it was somebody on steam forums we'd all be mocking him

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Well congratulations on being the guy demanding an 'everyone is happy :^)' solution, the irony is if it was somebody on steam forums we'd all be mocking him

That's the same strawman, three times in a row. You really don't see the difference between being spoonfed content and both players sharing content when one player discovers it in a co-op game?

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Grunker, man...I dunno. I mean, maybe you have a point. Maybe not. But we've gotten to the point in this thread that when I see your avatar now I immediately go "Dude shut up. Shut up. Fuck off. Shut up shut up shut up" with every subsequent post. So like, just shut the fuck up and deal with it already.

Whatever, put me on ignore or summat. I don't really give much of a fuck about what you consider proper subjects for discussion.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
That's the same strawman, three times in a row. You really don't see the difference between being spoonfed content and both players sharing content when one player discovers it in a co-op game?
There is no difference. Do things together experience co-op content, do it alone, don't experience co-op content. You can't have both

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
There is no difference. Do things together experience co-op content, do it alone, don't experience co-op content. You can't have both

Here we go again:

1) following each other around, only one player is able to act and be active in dialogue.

2) this is understandable and due to technical limitations. Only fix needed here is that dialogues display properly if characters are close to each other.

3) however, since only one character can be acting and active in most dialogue, it is perfectly understandable that players will NOT stick together 24-7, but explore the town at their own pace. No one wants to sit still while the other player actually plays the game.

4) this presents us with a dilemma, because the players being split (which is correct for them to be during parts of the game) means they'll miss a bunch of the co-op content in town/countryside that is so much fun to participate in.

5) the obvious solution is to enable long-distance participation in choice dialogue.

Your entire counter-argument to this is that basically players should instead choose a) to actually be active and, you know, PLAY the game, splitting up and missing content or b) "be a party", i.e. have one player initiate dialogue and do shit (play) while the other follows around passively ubtil co-op content happens or a fight starts.

Now you can a) argue that I've misjudged the problem or b) that my solution is wrong. Simply stating variations of "I choose to ignore the problem" isn't that fucking relevant.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Maybe I am failing to understand how co-op content works with two players, do you have to click the npc at the same time?

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Maybe I am failing to understand how co-op content works with two players, do you have to click the npc at the same time?

See my edit. Anyway, it works like this:

In ordinary dialogues the "passive player" sees like floating text or an updating log. You don't even get the dialogue window.

For co-op dialogue, a dialogue window opens up, but only once the co-op part starts, and only if you're very close to the conversation while it is going on.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
See my edit. Anyway, it works like this:

In ordinary dialogues the "passive player" sees like floating text or an updating log. You don't even get the dialogue window.

For co-op dialogue, a dialogue window opens up, but only once the co-op part starts, and only if you're very close to the conversation while it is going on.

Ok then it's just like single player. my opinion remains the same, do your damn content together

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Ok then it's just like single player. my opinion remains the same, do your damn content together

Dude, you want me to quote that fucking post a fourth time? You do EVERYTHING together, you have one player who is basically walkimg around being passive and not playing the game. Please, please, please excidium: go to my 5-step post. State exactly what you disagree with. Then we can discuss. Right now you're either saying "ignore the problem" or "i don't think there is a problem", and since you're not being specific, it's pretty much impossible to tel, which.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
I've read that crap, if some content is so meaningless that doing it together is a bore I don't see what is the problem of missing part of it

Ninjerk

Arcane
ffs renegen, you said yes to #4 which just says "this presents us with a dilemma". You said YES to that. You see the dilemma. What is your own solution to said dilemma if you won't ackknowledge mine? Or are you sticking with "just ignore the problem"?
Cell phone

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I've read that crap, if some content is so meaningless that doing it together is a bore I don't see what is the problem of missing part of it

What part don't you understand? Shit is fucking simple. Why don't you just fucking quote the parts of that post you disagree with?

Player A walks someplace. Player B walks another place. Player A accidentally activates interesting content. Player B can't participate because he was away. And he was away because doing all the inane shit like talking to random people is fucking stupid and not fun. As in, talking to random people is fun, but not together, because if you do it together one player is totally passive (until Cool Content (tm) is activated by either player).

This is a fucking simple problem with a fucking simple solution. I fail to see why it has to be this hard to discuss. Also this is the last time I state the same fucking problem in the same fucking terms. Either you quote and argue against what you disagree with or we'll keep going in circles.

Also I'm saying fuck too much even for the 'dex.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Grunker you think I don't understand your problem, but I just don't identify it as a problem.

What exactly is an interesting content to you, an one-off encounter with biowarean C&C that at best gives +1 to a tertiary stat? I am experiencing 100% of that and it wouldn't be the end of the world to miss on it, I am just a sperg that talks to every random NPC

Meaningful C&C is on the quests, that I hope you people are doing together otherwise why play co-op?

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
The problem is that Cool Content(tm) as in some sidequesting is totally passable and not really worth arguing about.
And you're like this

Like a drama queen where there is no drama.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom