Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

GSC (S.T.A.L.K.E.R. devs) reopened, developing Cossacks 3

Rolk's Drifter

Scholar
Stalker is one of the most overrated games on the Codex. It's good but has tons of flaws.

It's more than just a game though. It's a world/universe. Same as Fallout or Star Wars. Except more alive.

sexbad?

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
I used to follow some official STALKER page on Facebook a few years ago, after the release of CoP. Over time, it became clear that the people who remained at GSC were fucking greedy assholes and/or morons. They fired a good community manager in his sleep and cockblocked some licensed author who wrote some STALKER books. There were also all those rumors about deals with Bethesda, always-online DRM, and possible console versions which were confirmed to be planned in this other recent article: http://www.pcgamer.com/gsc-gameworld-developers-of-stalker-are-back-in-business/

It seems like the people remaining at GSC don't know good business or the strengths of their own IP. If they were going to make a previous-gen console sequel to a game with a UI and an AI-monitoring system like STALKER's... On top of how much else they've managed to screw up... It's not going to be worth it.

Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
CFSz-6kWgAAc4FL.jpg:large

CFS0A9EWYAAHaZf.jpg:large

CFS0A0xWYAAeRX_.jpg:large

CFS0BCUWMAATkqZ.jpg:large

Luka-boy

Arcane
Gotta say, nowadays it's rare for me to look at announcement screenshots for a game, especially sequels and remakes, and not instantly get a very bad feeling. This is one of those times :thumbsup:

Of course they can still find a million ways to fuck this up :negative:

Angthoron

Arcane
As long as it's Cossacks 1 with some of the improvements from 2 with updated graphics and stability, I'm very happy with this turn of events.

Unwanted
Douchebag! Shitposter
You're all worthless scumbags. Don't pretend you know this franchise if you didn't notice the obvious in those screenshots.

Fuck off and go sperg over starcraft and austistion 32. All of you.

Unwanted
Douchebag! Shitposter
These are the exact same assets from the original Cossacks.

You are falling for an HD remake you gullible idiots.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I never got into the Cossackss series. What did it do better/differently than Age of Empires?

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I never got into the Cossackss series. What did it do better/differently than Age of Empires?
Everything.
Really? The only thing I constantly heared about it was that you could have a bazilion units on the screen at once, but apart from that, I thought it was just poor man's AoE. But if it is not the case, I should not miss on GOG next time.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Everything.
Really? The only thing I constantly heared about it was that you could have a bazilion units on the screen at once, but apart from that, I thought it was just poor man's AoE. But if it is not the case, I should not miss on GOG next time.
I didn't play multiplayer, at this point it must be impossible anyway, but the single player is great. It is far better than AoE 1 single, only AoE 2 single comes closer and even there I still think Cossacks is better. Imagine an AoE where the designers actually tried to make things a bit more interesting on single player, sure, it's still a base building RTS but each mission is different and with an interesting level design, most maps don't just degenerate on building a base and trying to overhelm the Ai on numbers, you have to gatter troops to defeat armies on strategic positions with artillery and all that stuff, most missions feel like puzzles.

Let's say you are given a story excuse for a mission, like harass the enemies supply line while the main army prepares to engage, for example, on most RTSs you just start on a map like any other skirmish map with nothing of special and have to defeat the enemy base, the missions feel generic, like some skirmish maps that were put hastely together without care, more of a excuse for a single player campaign than anything.

On Cossacks, you get the same mission and when you look to the map, there are two huge armies that are soon going to engage, one is your ally and another the enemy, if you get too close to the enemy main army you are toast. You have to sabotage the enemy supply lines, that is your goal and you gatter an army for that on the traditional base building RTS way but it's very frequent for scripted events to happen, all of sudden, you get messengers announcing that you annoyed the enemy enough that a battalion from the main group was sent after you and you have to do something quick, after defeating that, you watch the main event to unfold and the two armies clash, getting you by surprise again, your ally send a messenger warning that he is retreating and you should do the same. The missions were like little scripted war stories based on the European wars background than the traditional lazy RTS missions.

They got anal on detail on some aspects like you having all levels of naval units, some were floating fortresses that costed a TON of resources to make and maintain(yeah, they cost upkeep), losing a ship on a naval battle was a huge loss. Imagine AoE + Total war (no strategic map) where the missions were more like the historic battles from Total war than random skirmishes.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Is that joke about not truly being a man until you've finished all Cossacks campaigns still actual?

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Everything.
I didn't play multiplayer, at this point it must be impossible anyway, but the single player is great. It is far better than AoE 1 single, only AoE 2 single comes closer and even there I still think Cossacks is better. Imagine an AoE where the designers actually tried to make things a bit more interesting on single player, sure, it's still a base building RTS but each mission is different and with an interesting level design, most maps don't just degenerate on building a base and trying to overhelm the Ai on numbers, you have to gatter troops to defeat armies on strategic positions with artillery and all that stuff, most missions feel like puzzles.

Let's say you are given a story excuse for a mission, like harass the enemies supply line while the main army prepares to engage, for example, on most RTSs you just start on a map like any other skirmish map with nothing of special and have to defeat the enemy base, the missions feel generic, like some skirmish maps that were put hastely together without care, more of a excuse for a single player campaign than anything.

On Cossacks, you get the same mission and when you look to the map, there are two huge armies that are soon going to engage, one is your ally and another the enemy, if you get too close to the enemy main army you are toast. You have to sabotage the enemy supply lines, that is your goal and you gatter an army for that on the traditional base building RTS way but it's very frequent for scripted events to happen, all of sudden, you get messengers announcing that you annoyed the enemy enough that a battalion from the main group was sent after you and you have to do something quick, after defeating that, you watch the main event to unfold and the two armies clash, getting you by surprise again, your ally send a messenger warning that he is retreating and you should do the same. The missions were like little scripted war stories based on the European wars background than the traditional lazy RTS missions.

They got anal on detail on some aspects like you having all levels of naval units, some were floating fortresses that costed a TON of resources to make and maintain(yeah, they cost upkeep), losing a ship on a naval battle was a huge loss. Imagine AoE + Total war (no strategic map) where the missions were more like the historic battles from Total war than random skirmishes.
This sound actually pretty good. I won't pass up on it next time.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
These are the exact same assets from the original Cossacks.

You are falling for an HD remake you gullible idiots.

The screenshots are also heavily staged and we're probably never going to see any of these situations in an actual game because the AI cannot into proper formations :M

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom