Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Guild Wars 1

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
It was a sad day for me when my guild went under and I started having to wait hours in cities just to find pugs to finish content with, because everyone was busy two-manning, six-heroing crap.

I literally did everything in the game except Urgoz and Kanaxai (because they require more actual people) with a 2-man/6-heroes party :lol: Including clearing out FoW, UW and DoA, and vanquishing everything + doing every mission in HM.

Fun times.

EDIT: Wait, nvm, I *did* roll through Urgoz with heroes. It was only Kanaxai that had mandatory party splitting and shit that was impossible without a sufficient number of dudes.

crojipjip

Developer
Übermensch
Guild Wars 1 was great for finding girlfriends. I'd spend all day for weeks advertising my pathetic circumstance. Many laughed, but also many messaged me ...

Besides dating it's a good game to get lost in if you're willing to put in the effort. It's very immersive and better than real life.

Erzherzog

Magister
Just started playing this game again lately, I was and still am trash but running an assassin in random arenas was fun as fuck.

So much dervish regen spam....

Last edited:

Riel

Arcane
When I started playing GW1 I was a total noob in MMORPGs and I had my ass thrashed around, repeteadly, by almost any challenging content .... to date, and probably never to be surpased, my best MMORPG adventure is geting to Piken Square for the first time and then forming a 4 man team to recover Altea's Ashes, it was epic.

Nowadays I learn the ropes of anything new faster, I supose it's good, but I miss on much of the fun I had in GW1, there were so many missions that seamed imposible at first, the game was a master piece on challenging content and feeling of accomplishment.

Black

Arcane
GW1 is like Firefly, great but ended too soon.
Trolling people with mesmer and ranger in Fort Asswood was so much fun.

Avellion

Erudite
Guild Wars 1 was one of my favorite RPGs during the Dark Ages of the RPG genre. The "deck building" and layers of combat made it a very interesting experience.

Apparently it's very team-oriented, but can be played with AI companions. Is this actually worth it? AI can never replace real humans, so I don't want to waste my time seeing as the Prophecies campaign is supposedly the toughest of the lot.

In Prophecies I frequently found myself enjoying the company of henchies more than actual players. At least henchies would let me do the pulling.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
Thanks for all the responses and sorry for the late reply. Some fuckers broke into our flat by climbing up three stories and coming in over the balcony on Thursday so between dealing with that and university assignments I've had little time to play the game.

I tried all the Factions and Prophecies professions and so far I like the Assassin the most, so I'm thinking of taking an Assassin over to Kryta. I got the furthest on my Warrior in Ascalon, but I'm not a huge fan of his gameplay. I really like the ease at which you can respec and switch out skills. It makes experimentation much easier. Based on the posts here I'm thinking I'll do the Prophecies campaign as far as I can solo, then start a Night Fall character and gather heroes and then finish Prophecies (assuming I haven't yet) before moving to Nightfall and EotN.

Just 2 things:

Collectors. I'm assuming that they're the predecessor of Karma item quest givers in GW2. Should I bother with getting their equipment, or only when I actually have the items they're collecting? So far (in Prophecies at least) a lot of the quest rewards seem to be better than their stuff.

The map. Is there any way to highlight important NPCs or locations on the in-game map, maybe via an addon or something? Many maps seem to be filled with linear paths and the fact that there are lots of invisible walls and you can't jump makes exploration a bit of a chore. Being able to easily find quest givers and collectors would be immensely helpful.

I'm just really sad I get in on GW at the ass end of its lifetime. I never knew it was this well loved. I rarely heard people talking about it so I always thought it had a very meh reception. If I knew how much people loved it I would have gotten in on it years ago. :( Oh well, it should still keep me busy for at least the rest of the year so as long as they don't shut the servers down I'll be happy. I haven't felt this lost in an MMO in a while, which is a great thing considering how easy today's MMOs are.

Naraya

Arcane
I tried all the Factions and Prophecies professions and so far I like the Assassin the most, so I'm thinking of taking an Assassin over to Kryta. I got the furthest on my Warrior in Ascalon, but I'm not a huge fan of his gameplay. I really like the ease at which you can respec and switch out skills. It makes experimentation much easier. Based on the posts here I'm thinking I'll do the Prophecies campaign as far as I can solo, then start a Night Fall character and gather heroes and then finish Prophecies (assuming I haven't yet) before moving to Nightfall and EotN.
To be perfectly honest, I'm not sure if assassin is a good choice for the first playthrough. You got to remember it's a glass cannon and don't charge into an enemy mob or you'll be promptly dead ;)

Collectors. I'm assuming that they're the predecessor of Karma item quest givers in GW2. Should I bother with getting their equipment, or only when I actually have the items they're collecting? So far (in Prophecies at least) a lot of the quest rewards seem to be better than their stuff.

AFAIR, high-end collector items are best-in-slot. Remember, in GW there is no item power creep, it's all about the looks (as in, you can get an item from a collector with ordinary skin for a tiny fraction of what you would have to pay for an item with the exact same stats but with an unique skin). It all boils down to you but I'd say that 'endgame' collector items are perfectly fine once you hit L20.

The map. Is there any way to highlight important NPCs or locations on the in-game map, maybe via an addon or something? Many maps seem to be filled with linear paths and the fact that there are lots of invisible walls and you can't jump makes exploration a bit of a chore. Being able to easily find quest givers and collectors would be immensely helpful.
No, but you can easily find this information either on official or unofficial Guild Wars wikis.

I'm just really sad I get in on GW at the ass end of its lifetime. I never knew it was this well loved. I rarely heard people talking about it so I always thought it had a very meh reception. If I knew how much people loved it I would have gotten in on it years ago. :( Oh well, it should still keep me busy for at least the rest of the year so as long as they don't shut the servers down I'll be happy. I haven't felt this lost in an MMO in a while, which is a great thing considering how easy today's MMOs are.
I don't think they'll close the servers anytime soon. The game is still there, so just have fun!

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Haven't played in ages. I started during Factions (played open beta of prophecies and wasn't sold on it), and stopped some way through nightfall. All I remember is that everyone and their cat was playing Assassin/ranger during Factions. Me included. And it worked really well. The combo system was fun to mess around with, especially when you had regular buddies to play with. That allowed you to pick skills that required status effect X on an opponent without having to be able to apply it yourself. It's the only MMO (besides CoV) I can think of where I wasn't just spamming a rotation.

Shannow

Waster of Time
IIRC, on higher levels the quest item rewards either stop or stop being competitive with collector stuff.
You have regular item drops, but you have to be extremely lucky to get some max items here. Certain bosses can drop items with special skins and modifier-combinations that are otherwise not found. But once you've gotten into the game, gotten high/max level you'll think of certain item-properties you want. This is where collectors come in. You can get max-lvl equipment with (almost) every property-combination from some collector or another. The only downside being, that the skins aren't as flashy.
It's the least grindy way (apart from buying from other players) to get excactly the equipment you want. Usually you just need to look up the location of the collector, grind for 1-3 hours and you'll get an item that you don't have to change again as long as you keep your current setup.
If you are starting with Prophesies, all of this only gets relevant at a rather late time into the game.

Avellion

Erudite

Or you can,
  • Do a quest to go to Elona, and pick up heroes from there. Which should be available to you soon after you reach Kryta.
  • Just ask some codex bros for help. Some of us still have the game installed on our harddrives
Just 2 things:

Most of them are crap. Some of them have pretty decent "modififed" items however. That is mostly late game however.

Nope. Most important quest givers will be in the middle of outposts however, and those that arent you will most likely be lead to by other quests.

According to Arenanet this game costs next to nothing to maintain. So I wouldnt worry about it going down any time soon.

Black

Arcane
According to Arenanet this game costs next to nothing to maintain. So I wouldnt worry about it going down any time soon.
'Cept it's up to NCSoft, not ANet to decide what and when shuts down. They can just go "there are too few players for us to keep the servers up so plx transition to glorious GW2, gg".

Avellion

Erudite
'Cept it's up to NCSoft, not ANet to decide what and when shuts down. They can just go "there are too few players for us to keep the servers up so plx transition to glorious GW2, gg".
City of Heroes

Never forgat :salute: (That game was even profitable, when they shut it down)

tabula rasa was doing well, then ncsoft chose to shut it down and pay 29m dollars to garriott over a petty childish dispute.

SerratedBiz

Arcane

They could've done this at any number of milestones throughout the years, as GW2 has been out for more than two years by now and EoTN came out in 2007. There's very little reason to start biting your fingernails at this particular time, for no particular reason.

Anyway, if anyone is interested in it, I'd be down to take some trips down memory lane with GW. Maybe show Zewp around the ol' classics like Thunderhead Keep or the Crystal Desert missions.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Last I tried GW the lag to US server was bloody awful. I would've been up for it otherwise :(

Black

Arcane
Yeah, long time ago because people whined it was too hard.

If you take an Assassin to Prophecies you'll be a bit gimped in skills since Assassin doesn't get anything there. You might want to somewhat concurrently play both campaigns or something. Also you'll be significantly overpowered for the middle third of the Prophecies campaign since you leave Factions around level 20 but enter the Prophecies campaign at the point where you are supposed to be level 10-12 IIRC. Just FYI.

I wouldn't worry too much about weapons. Armor is important not to fall too far behind though, because enemy AI can see your armor and know that you'll take 2x the damage of anyone else in the party. Collectors armor can sometimes be a bargain since they just ask for random enemy drops, but it's slightly weaker since all of them IIRC lack some extra mods that you can put on crafted armor.

Nope, but the wiki is fairly detailed. You can type /wiki (area name) to bring up the wiki page for the area.

Yeah, long time ago because people whined it was too hard.

The Guild Wars populace has always failed massively at the "defend x for y minutes" missions, because you actually need to have a good build that can kill quickly before the next wave arrives rather than simply outlasting the enemy like you can for the rest of the game.

Thunderhead keep - Nerfed
Vizunah Square - Nerfed
Dzagonur - Nerfed
Battle for Lions Arch - Nerfed

Probably some more I'm forgetting. Damned casuals. Prophecies has also been hit hardest by the power creep, only the final 3 missions and elite/postgame stuff really hold up the difficulty curve.

Last edited:

No Great Name

Arcane
Only collectors have an icon on the mini-map (U key by default I think) when you're in an area. As for other NPCs, you're either led to them by a quest, stumble upon, and/or look up online.

SerratedBiz

Arcane
It was part of the charm, though. The level ceiling in the game is dramatically low and, even though some builds are definitely more effective than others, a good player can probably be as effective with a poor build when compared to a bad player with a good build.

That skill ceiling is what made the game so good, and why running Thunderhead with PUGs could mean 7 retries, while doing it with a good group made it look so easy you'd think you were back in pre-Searing.

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
GW1 was my first MMO that I didn't play in private servers, good times. I never really bothered with the collectors myself. Personally I would just advise to pick a class that you like and just play a campaign without worrying about heroes/builds/etc. That's just metagaming that you can leave for later (if you still like the game after a while). Henchmen will work just fine and if you have any problems I'll gladly join for a mission or two.

GW1 achievements are connected with GW2 cosmetic item rewards so that's additional layer of security that the game won't be shut down :D

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom