Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Guillermo del Toro involved in the next Silent Hill game?

chestburster

Savant
Illiterate
As much as I'm a fan of GDT, I have to point out that he had a history of paying homage to ripping off Silent Hills:

Hellboy 2's fairy king guards are basically pyramid heads:

Hellboy_2__King__s_Guard_by_sillof.jpg

WalmartJesus

Learned
Yeah both him and Hideo Kojima are Partnering up to make it. Norman Reedus is gonna play the protagonist.

It's first person and looks to be going for Frictional game's style of Survival Horror ...which isnt a bad thing if done right. I'll take an Amnesia clone over another entry that poorly knocks off of SH2 anyday of the week. Here's some gameplay:

WalmartJesus

Learned
Silent Hill fanboys are a bunch of cum guzzling faggots. They bash the last few games for being soulless knock offs of SH2 (which I actually do agree with them on) ..yet if a new entry tries to do something outside the formula, these same aspies will cry because the game isnt like the first 3 :roll:

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
that too spooky I can't watch and will never play

sexbad?

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
One is a film director, the other is a film director. Together, they will make the ultimate interactive experience.

Athelas

Arcane
I guess I would be scared too if I suddenly lost the ability to open doors, including doors that are already half open.

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
At this point I'm willing for anything so long as Tom Hulett's not able to sink his smug, bald fucking nose into it.

Seriously, good riddance to that sack of shit. Prick single-handedly drove the franchise into the dirt.

Utgard-Loki

Arcane
One is a film director, the other is a film director. Together, they will make the ultimate interactive experience.
after the last two abortions a 50 hour cutscene like mgs4 would be an improvement.

Untermensch

Augur
What I would really like to see is for Kojima to team up with Capcom for the next Resident Evil.

Resident Evil's jumbled mess of a story combined with Kojima's convoluted writing would make a fascinating combination.

Perkel

Arcane
Two of directors that actually i wouldn't want on Silent Hill game.

One once released amazing movie called Pan's Labyrinth then he gone into cheesiness spread with muh robots and virusologists digging in possibly filled with lethal pathogens dirt with their bare hands.

Second dude who is just straight up bad dude for that shit.

Now second dude writes that he wants to make game that will make players shit their pants totally avoiding what SH is all about.
Yep this will be trainwreck of shitty whimsical story and shitty jumpscares fallowed by super cheesy dialogs thanks to involvement of dude who regresed to kid over years.

TheGreatOne

Arcane
I wonder if they can pull off the weird environments that characterize Silent Hill in a first person perspective game? Even though there's nothing stopping them from trying to do something like that, I just can't imagine a FPS horror game with the kind of hellish visuals you saw at the end of Silent Hill 1 and 3. It's just a trailer, but the environments look very mundane. Same goes for most of the best first person view horror games (System Shock 2, Call of C'thulu, Amnesia, Penumbra etc), even if there's some weird shit like the body of the many in SS2, it never gets as creative as the last levels of Silent Hill 3 (and even parts of 4) where you just had to stop and stare at things.
after the last two abortions a 50 hour cutscene like mgs4 would be an improvement.
Silent Hill 2 and 3 had so well directed and animated cutscenes that if some game can pull of a cutscene fest, it's Silent Hill. Yet the people who feel most compelled to fill their games with cutscenes have shitty characters standing still talking about uninteresting things, where as SH 2 and 3 had characters like Angela, Vincent and Eddie going insane. Of course lack of gameplay would make the game less scary, but I really loved the the awkward and surreal conversation scenes where you wondered what was going on.

Vibalist

Arcane
That video was fucking scary.

This could turn out good.

Also, while the environment is a bit mundane, there are hints of more creepy visuals what with the crying baby in the sink. It'll probably be like the other Silent Hill games where it slowly makes a transition into more and more bizarre environments.
The creepy atmosphere is there alright.

EDIT: Here's a longer video where the environment starts changing towards the end:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrL8ybvDSkA

Last edited:

Machocruz

Arcane
If the final game is anything like P.T., I think cutscenes would be detrimental. The fact that the player is constantly in the moment, in first person perspective, sold the reality of the situation. Cutting to scenes with different perspectives and editing, no matter how well done, is not a good idea to me.

But this demo/trailer nailed the kind of dread, even though there is no overt threat, that is often the nature of nightmares. Unfortunately, being a game, it has to deliver a threat and deliver multiple times, which is a double edge sword: they have to deliver on the sense of dread with tangible threats, else the whole thing is just an empty exercise in style, but they also risk losing that nightmare dread to more conventional, earthly dread.

Last edited:

Curious_Tongue

Larpfest
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
Silent Hill fanboys are a bunch of cum guzzling faggots. They bash the last few games for being soulless knock offs of SH2 (which I actually do agree with them on) ..yet if a new entry tries to do something outside the formula, these same aspies will cry because the game isnt like the first 3 :roll:

Menckenstein

Lunacy of Caen: Todd Reaver
This will be a return to form for Silent Hill as Norman Reedus' acting range is more or less equivalent to early PSX game voice acting.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
This is gonna be amazing, fuck the haters. The teaser (and it is explicitly stated the game won't be like the teaser) is really good. Not that good, but it's WAY closer to SH 1-4 than the new ones in terms of psychological horror. Fapping cautiously.

SerratedBiz

Arcane
Funny, I saw a fuckton of jump scares and a generic ghost woman screaming into my face for some reason, not so much ambiance or psychological oppression like we used to have in SH.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I saw maybe 2 jump scares and I did say it's /closer/ to SH1-4, not like them. It's made in the style of one of those crap indie horror games, but it does fuck with your head nicely. (As in, it builds a good atmosphere of oppression and helplessness.)

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Funny, I saw a fuckton of jump scares and a generic ghost woman screaming into my face for some reason, not so much ambiance or psychological oppression like we used to have in SH.
Exactly, silent hill (and by SH I mean SH1 and 2) is about the delightfully oppressing and artistic atmosphere, the building background tension and the psychological horror, not typical bad horror tricks like jump scares.

This isn't Silent Hill at all, it may turn OK, although Del Toro is going through deep decline and Kojima, well, who knows, this guy hasn't made a game outside the MGS franchise for quite a while. I think both of them have turned a little bit retarded in the recent years.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom