Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Guillermo del Toro involved in the next Silent Hill game?

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Have you guys played this...?

SerratedBiz

Arcane
I saw maybe 2 jump scares and I did say it's /closer/ to SH1-4, not like them. It's made in the style of one of those crap indie horror games, but it does fuck with your head nicely. (As in, it builds a good atmosphere of oppression and helplessness.)

It's basically a compilation of all the scares as seen from the eyes of that impressionable young woman. TLDR: a lot more than 2 jump scares.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Even Silent Hill 2 has jump scares. They work because of the mood the game built up.

Well, whatever! I never said it was /that/ good. I merely said it's quite a bit more psychological - in the sense it focuses more on mood and atmosphere - than the more recent SH offerings. But what the actual game will be like we will have to wait and see since this was a teaser and will have little to do with the actual game. Myself, I am cautiously optimistic.

SerratedBiz

Arcane
Yeah, I get your point. I'd like to think that they'll return to their roots and all that, I'm just increasingly cynical at developments centered around big names. The amount of in your face WARRAGHGHGHH just ticked me off a little bit.

We'll see. :)

A user named cat

This seems pretty cool and all but doesn't remotely look like a Silent Hill game. Not even at the end with Daryl. Slapping the theme song in there made no difference, might as well have been some stabbing reverb violins and it wouldn't have made a difference.

Needs more cowbell fog.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
I have to tell you honestly that if you don't feel SH vibes you probably watched a video of this rather than play it yourself. Which is sad, it's a good experience, a bit like The Room.

Also, Kojima did state it was made in the style of those indie horror games on purpose; as a marketing gag it was supposed to seem like just another of those games at first glance. Hell, they even toned down the (still amazing) graphics. Sometimes I do feel like you guys hate everything that's vaguely popular.

sexbad?

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
I have to tell you honestly that if you don't feel SH vibes you probably watched a video of this rather than play it yourself. Which is sad, it's a good experience, a bit like The Room.
Where can I download it? Google doesn't get me any links.

Vibalist

Arcane
PS4 only, so far.

And yeah, there are jump scares. But I think jump scares are fine as long as that's not all there is, and it seems as if they're aiming for mood too.

sexbad?

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
PS4 only, so far.

And yeah, there are jump scares. But I think jump scares are fine as long as that's not all there is, and it seems as if they're aiming for mood too.
Oh, right, I must have been thinking of MGS5 having a PC version.

Ban Jasede for using PS4.

Curious_Tongue

Larpfest
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
I'd like it if this was a demonstration of a random house in an open world Silent Hill.

Every street has a few unlocked houses, which the player can choose to enter if he/she wants to gain a better understanding of what's going on.

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
Open world Silent Hill. Good or bad idea? Discuss!
Hasn't Silent Hill always been open world to an extent? The first three games at least are primariily you wandering through the township itself from point A to point B, with the game openly encouraging you to search every nook and cranny for supplies and weird shit (i.e. the "THERE WAS A HOLE HERE, IT'S GONE NOW" wall is seen in a building which isn't necessary to enter in order to progress through the game).

Vibalist

Arcane
I guess. But as far as I remember, a lot of stuff was closed off until the plot advanced. A true open world game is a bit different in that regard.

SerratedBiz

Arcane
Open world may be a bit of a misnomer. But certainly non-railroaded or whatever.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
Jasede, have you tried Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs? That game tried to produce a Silent Hill kind of atmosphere with Amnesia-like gameplay, and it didn't work that well. First person horror games tend to be too literal and too focused on the primal terror of being constantly threatened by a monster. This is the case for all the new "indie" horror games, and for P.T. as well. I would argue that the third person perspective was very important for the early SH games, as it introduced a certain distance between the player and the character, and enabled a more contemplative experience. In those games you usually weren't terrified of being attacked by a ghost; you were anxious, lost, confused, disturbed, and dreading what you were going to see next, rather than any physical threats.

Honestly, the game that evokes SH the most for me stylistically, in recent memory, would be Darkwood, which uses a similarly detached top-down camera .

Perkel

Arcane
Those dudes earlier said it perfectly.

It is fucking american scare pants flick. I hope this is only because it was supposed to be hidden announcement and not because they actually want to create game like that.

After all those years i have little to no hope of them delivering great SH game. It is just methematically proven tons of people especially devs making those games don't even have basic idea about plot and much less about abstract thinking or even stupid thing like voice recording delivered in proper way instead of hey i'm gonna hire hollywood wooden delivery actor and it will be great.

dnf

Pedophile
Dumbfuck Shitposter
I have to agree with the dudes who made the real silent hill eXperience. All americanu Silent Hills are poor attempts at ripping off Silent Hill 2, shitting on the storyline and the reimagining nonsense like Casual Hill: Shattered Memories are just an attempt at brand recognition cash ins.

Hopefully Kojima-san knows better and pulls of some kind of conjob. OTOH he is going to try to make an horror sneaking game. Let's hope we don't see another guilty amnesiac protagonist who forgot someone dies again.

Perkel

Arcane
To be fair though original story in SH1 or SH3 isn't really that great.
It is all about how it is delivered.

Same as SH2 biggest clishe in gaming namely amnesia. You don't know about it until like half of game or more.

As for western releases, creators simply don't know source material they are working with. They see Piramid Head, they see in it cool monster but not SH2 only monster. They don't know that each monster in each game is actually differnent and all of them have their own place is each one SH nightmare. Like for example nurses.

I partially don't agree with them about shattered memories though. It is not a Silent Hill remake or even "reimagination" but game that uses tropes of Silent Hill and names to confuse player and to deliver a good story with great ending and good twist.

Konjad

⛏
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
This game looks like boring scare jump crap. Not interested.

But is any SH past 4 worth playing? I loved SH 1-4, but totally lost interest afterwards. I played Homecoming later, but it was boring.

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria

But is any SH past 4 worth playing? I loved SH 1-4, but totally lost interest afterwards. I played Homecoming later, but it was boring.
I hear Shattered Memories is alright, though it's barely a Silent Hill game and it isn't scary by any stretch of the imagination. Downpour is sub-par and Origins is shit.

Same as SH2 biggest clishe in gaming namely amnesia. You don't know about it until like half of game or more.

As for western releases, creators simply don't know source material they are working with. They see Piramid Head, they see in it cool monster but not SH2 only monster. They don't know that each monster in each game is actually differnent and all of them have their own place is each one SH nightmare. Like for example nurses.

To an extent I agree and disagree. They know what they're working with, it's just that they see Silent Hill 2 as the apex of the series and the quintessential example of what Silent Hill should be, and thus endlessly crib off of it. It's why every single game they've done has an amnesiac protagonist (or in Downpour's case, in denial, which is essentially handled the same way story-wise) without understanding what made it interesting in Silent Hill 2, and how every single game they've done has some character who tries to get the main character to come to terms with their 'guilt', often carrying a giant weapon around and wearing some kind of head ornament (though not in Shattered Memories, where this role is taken by Dr. Kaufman), and how every single time it's revealed that the amnesia is the result of the death of a loved one to the main character. To them, Silent Hill is a spooky ghost town and all the Silent Hill games are about is coming to terms with guilt. This simply is not the case.

Perkel

Arcane

I hear Shattered Memories is alright, though it's barely a Silent Hill game and it isn't scary by any stretch of the imagination. Downpour is sub-par and Origins is shit.

To an extent I agree and disagree. They know what they're working with, it's just that they see Silent Hill 2 as the apex of the series and the quintessential example of what Silent Hill should be, and thus endlessly crib off of it. It's why every single game they've done has an amnesiac protagonist (or in Downpour's case, in denial, which is essentially handled the same way story-wise) without understanding what made it interesting in Silent Hill 2, and how every single game they've done has some character who tries to get the main character to come to terms with their 'guilt', often carrying a giant weapon around and wearing some kind of head ornament (though not in Shattered Memories, where this role is taken by Dr. Kaufman), and how every single time it's revealed that the amnesia is the result of the death of a loved one to the main character. To them, Silent Hill is a spooky ghost town and all the Silent Hill games are about is coming to terms with guilt. This simply is not the case.

Actually those two nerds proved in their videos that they (devs of new games) don't know their source material. Not only they don't know their source material but also lie about knowing it repeatedly. They didn't even watch superb Silen Hill making off doc which is especially visible in HD remakes of voices as all quirks of characters which were put intentionally are gone and are ly down like for dumb people by SH creators.

And that is the problem if you don't know how earlier games were created and how much detail was put into everything they created then no wonder western devs struggle to create good SH game. Because creating SH game is not creating Resident Evil game where you can do whateverfuckyouwant and connect dots with mutations and some magic.

Hell you can switch on SH1 now and it is miles better than P.T or newer Silent Hills even with shitty polygonal graphic. Because their concept of SH is simply Resident Evil and Jump Scares where original team SH methodically created each game world from ground up according to rules set by SH1.

And that is the point. If they would fallow rules set by SH1 mainly what is causing nightmare and that what player see is actually nightmare or an illusion personalized to player character from which all things sprout then ton of those games would turn ok. Moreover it would be much easier for them to create world design as they would only need to create psych profile of person from which nightmare comes. All monster design then, location design where to go could naturally sprout from that profile according to main story set by designer.

But nooo, let's not use those rules and create parralel universes, otherworlds, different timelines or even contradict itself in its endings (like Downpur).

And this is why i believe SH will be another knockoff. Because Kojima never created any game that took it seriously and he loves to brake 4th wall. Then there is Toro which admits he not only doesn't want to look at monsters from earlier games but also doesn't want to know why they were made that way. To him they are monsters.

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron

Actually those two nerds proved in their videos that they (devs of new games) don't know their source material. Not only they don't know their source material but also lie about knowing it repeatedly. They didn't even watch superb Silen Hill making off doc which is especially visible in HD remakes of voices as all quirks of characters which were put intentionally are gone and are ly down like for dumb people by SH creators.

I suppose you are right. The HD remakes really do come off as a fan-edit created by someone who thought they knew better about how Silent Hill 2 and 3 worked than the people who created it.

Also blame the voice cast and Sound director. The inherent problems being that the former (Mary-Elizabeth McGlynn) is obviously too familiar with anime voice acting, which emphasizes overracting in your performance to make up for whatever emotion conveyed which would be lost by the lack of animated expression (hence the 'anime noise filler' complaint they had). This doesn't mesh well with the script and physical direction of the games, which relied much more heavily on visible expression and nuances in voice direction.

Only other theory I have is that they knew, but just didn't care. With a smug prick like Tom Hullett I wouldn't exactly rule this out completely.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
In terms of pure disturbing imagery, it looks great. But it seems to suffer from the same problem as some of the later Silent Hills - it's too extreme and not subtle enough. SH 1-3 were mostly desolate and ruined, a lot of the games involved exploring decrepit buildings that didn't even have a lot of enemies or dedicated "scare" moments. This is true even for the Otherworld parts. The games were also subtle in that they didn't just push everything in your face constantly - look at the famous "Bloody room" in SH3, it's possible to miss that completely if you don't hang around for a bit, and even then the effect is much more subdued than the caterpillar walls you see in this trailer.

On the other hand, both P.T. and this trailer seem more like horror movies in game form - everything is carefully choreographed so that the player experiences every little set piece they put in there.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom