Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Guilty Gear Thread - Xrd SIGN released on Steam

wergle

Educated
Unsure if anyone here cares about what is personally my favorite fighting game series, but after a solid 10 years of rehashed shit a new Guilty Gear installment has been announced. Daisuke Ishiwatari onboard as lead designer and composer.

Notably, and most unexpectedly, the game will not use 2D sprites. It is fully 3D, running on the Unreal Engine 3.

What's even more notable is that it actually looks fucking good:

First good use of cel shading I've ever seen. Since they went through the trouble of keeping the originals' snappy animation style intact, the series' trademark precise, fast-paced, offense-heavy gameplay may well see the light of day even in today's retard-friendly climate.

(Possible) incline of fighting games.

wergle

Educated
Note to people who know nothing about these games: no, it doesn't take itself seriously. Yes, it's supposed to look ridiculous.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
Not a big fan of fighting games, but that's some really impressive cell shading. Wouldn't have known it wasn't 2D if not for the camera shifts.

Gerrard

Arcane
The "cutscenes" you see in the trailer are also 3D.

Also, is there official information that this is UE3 and not 4?

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
I've seen some other cel shading I was pretty happy with, but this stuff is definitely top notch. It's actually done so well I wouldn't mind seeing it used to make some other 2D games, like a new Megaman or Castlevania (which have had utterly hideous and unworthy 3D elements every single time they've been introduced.)

Hellraiser

Arcane
Even the japanese are using unreal engine now, to make fighting games at that. And it doesn't look like ass!

Who would have thought all those years ago when the quake vs unreal fanboy war was in full swing, that Id's engines would be mostly forgotten and Epic's tech would even make Nippon use it.

As far as the new GG is concerned I must say I expect more of this:

Than any of the things I heard in GG Isuka which had a horribru soundtrack that was a shamefur dispray.

BaconAndEggs

Augur
That's really impressive. Looks and plays like Guilty Gear, but it's in 3D. Impressive use of the U3 engine, looks nothing like a lot of the crap that does get made with U3.

Also, When's Marvel?

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I always had a soft spot for the shitty GG X2 jrock. Very memorable tunes IMO.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Fighting Games and SHMUPS, the most monocle genres in the world, untainted by decline.
In fact quite the opposite: made for more and more hardcore audiences, bigger, better, more complex, more beautiful, more snappy.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Fighting Games and SHMUPS, the most monocle genres in the world, untainted by decline.
In fact quite the opposite: made for more and more hardcore audiences, bigger, better, more complex, more beautiful, more snappy.
Actually it's more like that fighting games already had the period of decline when Namco's games were the biggest around, with the peak decline being marked by the commercial flop of Street Fighter 3. Back in those dark days you only had Guilty Gear and KoF to look to (and KoF was really slipping in production values until XI, what with SNK's bankcruptcy and all that). Nowadays, fake 3D (the only real 3D fighting game I know of is One Must Fall: Battlegrounds, a sadly utterly unfinished game) is on a backburner and 2D is back in force.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom