Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Guilty Pleasures

MilesBeyond

Cipher
So we've all got at least some standards when it comes to games (and other things, I would hope). The more games we play, the more we discover what we like and what we don't like. Overtime we've got a whole bunch of consistent likes and dislikes and that kinda solidifies into our "taste."

But every once in a while, a game comes along that we enjoy immensely despite the fact that it completely fails to live up to our standards. A game where we look at it and think "I should hate this. This is everything I dislike and none of what I like but for some reason I just can't stop playing it."

This is a thread to talk about games like that.

Caleb462

Educated
I got tons of enjoyment out of Fallout 3.

But I'm not guilty about any of my pleasures, not even a little bit.

Parsifarka

Arcane
I love many eastern european shovelware subproducts, but for truly shameful things I should hate but I can't stop playing... Dragon Age 2. The swan song of BioWare [sic].

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Sanity: Aiken's Artifact

Rage (just for combat mechanics)

The Banner Saga

Cs:Go

Project Entropia (or Entropia Universe)

Kron

Arcane
toro said:

Heresy!

As a monocled amateur artist, I must say Rage has mostly some kickass visual design. It is in fact, the game's main strength.
The backgrounds and sceneries are strongly reminiscent of post apoc and cyberpunk comics and movies from the 90's and 80's.
Sadly the game's mechanics do not favor a slow, paced out exploratory gameplay - like they did in STALKER - and the game was pretty much shunned as a generic shooter.

R.I.P. Id

Saduj

Arcane
I finished Planet Alcatraz and for the most part enjoyed it. My only real problem with it was that combat is RTWP. And there were a few places where the game had some C&C that was inscrutable due to horrendous translation. It did start to drag a bit towards the end but no more so than D:OS. My overall recommendation would be that if you think you might enjoy it despite what you've heard, you probably will.

I also purchased Krater on sale some years back and eventually finished it. In this case I'm mostly ashamed that I bought it at all and only finished it due to completiontardation. I'd say that if you think you might like it, you're probably wrong.

Seari

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
NwN2:OC

There are a lot of things I hate about it, yet I can't help but do a replay once every 1-2 years. I guess it's because there aren't a lot of DnD rpgs to choose from.

Paper

Educated
vanilla World of Warcraft is probably my biggest one. I play it ever once in a while on private servers and I enjoy it immensely when I have a period like that. But that's not a single player rpg so maybe it doesn't count.

otherwise I'd say The Witcher 3.

Eirikur

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
PlanetSide 2. The sci-fi setting and the ideological faction-based warfare appeals to me. I like playing an engineer, driving and customizing the various vehicle types, and using them to support my squad/platoon.

Sjukob

Arcane
Silverfall , don't why , but I completed this game 3 times in a row and also completed expansion too .

I finished Planet Alcatraz and for the most part enjoyed it. My only real problem with it was that combat is RTWP. And there were a few places where the game had some C&C that was inscrutable due to horrendous translation. It did start to drag a bit towards the end but no more so than D:OS. My overall recommendation would be that if you think you might enjoy it despite what you've heard, you probably will.
This game aimed purely for russian auditory , I don't even know how did it get english translation , playing it in english translation will spoil the experience , it's not only about the language , but cultural aspects as well

Fairfax

Arcane
Too Human, really liked the combat system and the controls, and an addictive loot-based ARPG can be very addictive to me, even if it's not my favourite type of RPG.

I also liked Dungeon Siege III.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
toro said:

Heresy!

As a monocled amateur artist, I must say Rage has mostly some kickass visual design. It is in fact, the game's main strength.
The backgrounds and sceneries are strongly reminiscent of post apoc and cyberpunk comics and movies from the 90's and 80's.
Sadly the game's mechanics do not favor a slow, paced out exploratory gameplay - like they did in STALKER - and the game was pretty much shunned as a generic shooter.

R.I.P. Id

Break a door, throw a wingstick, shotgun the shit out of the mobs. The game is shit but I had fun with it. That's why it's a guilty pleasure.

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
I really like the King's Bounty games. Not nearly as challenging as HoMM, but it's a fun way to kill time. And I'll second PlanetSide 2. Not all that complex, but I've seen some amazing stuff in that game.

Trip

Learned
Exploiting MM7. It's fun for a time, then I remember I'm not 17 anymore.

Achiman

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
Hunnie pop.
Mass Effect games , though 3 was a piece of shit that I forced myself to finish.
DragonQuest games
Hearthstone - always find myself asking why the fuck am I playing such a random/luck game

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom