Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Gunpoint: Indie Stealth/Thief-like platformer

Turjan

Arcane
Yup, looks quite neat.

This looks oddly familiar. Did we have a thread regarding this years ago?

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Not that I could find. For those harboring an irrational anti-Steam fetish a demo is also available at their website: http://www.gunpointgame.com/ -- you can also buy it there through the Humble Store for both a DRM free copy and a Steam key.

Elthosian

Arcane
I’ve tried to design the extra goodies so that if this was an indie game I was excited about, like FTL, I’d buy the $30 edition no question. But I know everyone’s circumstances are different, so I’ve made sure the base game is the same for everyone – no exclusive missions or bullshit bonus items.
:incline:

Anyone else played the demo? I am really tempted to get the Special Edition, one can never have enough great stealth games.

Destroid

Arcane
I didn't find much fun in the demo - the levels were a little too simplistic, but I have high hopes for the more complex ones to come later.

Self-Ejected

Jack

█▓▒░
Patron
Insert Title Here
I didn't find much fun in the demo - the levels were a little too simplistic, but I have high hopes for the more complex ones to come later.
Hopefully people will do some interesting things with the level editor even if the vanilla game doesn't impress.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
I played demo and preordered.

Looks like the game will be fun, even if the demo was entirely tutorial.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
Hold off on this until a sale. The game is great, but not worth $10. I finished it in under 2 hours. There's a bit of replay value, but mostly in unlocking achievements and optional objectives. Not much more than that.

Would have felt better about it if it was priced at $5.

BobtheTree

Savant
I played through it and thought it was great. Yea, it's short, but that's because there's not an inch of filler. It's what you love about games like Deus Ex and Dishonored condensed into short, brief 2D goodness. I'm gonna play again with the commentary and probably play the whole thing again just for kicks. I got the $15 tier and I'm sure I'll get my money's worth in the long-term. No regrets.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Gunpoint does what Portal did and Portal 2 didn't. It brought a neat gimmick to the table and then had the good grace to end before the novelty of the gimmick wore off.

Took me 3½ hours to get A+ on every mission, plus another hour or so of messing about unlocking achievements. I'd say I was well entertained for 10 kwabucks. But I can understand if some people are too jew to appreciate it in this day and age of indies being forced to whore themselves out to humble bundles.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
Gunpoint does what Portal did and Portal 2 didn't. It brought a neat gimmick to the table and then had the good grace to end before the novelty of the gimmick wore off.

Took me 3½ hours to get A+ on every mission, plus another hour or so of messing about unlocking achievements. I'd say I was well entertained for 10 kwabucks. But I can understand if some people are too jew to appreciate it in this day and age of indies being forced to whore themselves out to humble bundles.

The problem is that before the puzzle element can start to get tricky, the game ends. The worst the puzzle element ever does is make you stand and look in which order you need to connect things in order to activate the next jackbox. It never gets more challenging than that. There's a tiny bit of challenge in unlocking achievements and getting A on every level, but that has nothing to do with the puzzles anyway.

From what I've read, seems like the game's not very "puzzle" anyway, but more about messing with the levels to see how efficiently you can breeze through them. You can skip two missions per playthrough, reload checkpoints from 10 seconds before you messed up, and be as messy and noisy as you can get away with. Custom levels are also in .txt form, which will probably make it popular even if the editor isn't very complex. A 50% sale for a $10 game isn't that much of a difference anyway (the special edition with prototype builds is mad expensive, though)

Also, about the demo:

:lol:

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Gunpoint update released

Bug fixes:
  • Fixed a bug preventing the game from rightly chastising you for excessively punching the same guard.
  • No longer possible to upgrade your trousers so much that they break the concept of linear time (divide by zero error).
  • Ryan Ike is now more talkative on Mission 5.
  • Fixed a bug that rendered the game unable to cope with how cool you look walking backwards into a subway with your gun drawn, leading to a crash.
  • Fixed an interesting bug that caused problems if you played on two different PCs that have the same desktop resolution but different install drives. Well, not that interesting.
New features:
  • Press F4 to toggle windowed mode anytime. This was already there, but we forgot to tell anyone.

I tried it out. There's a bunch of messages if you keep punching the guard. One of them goes "there's no achievement for this you know. You can quit any time". Then if you keep punching him, you eventualyl get an achievement with a blood-soaked gold star called "Alright, Have one! Just Stop!":lol:

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
It looks cool, will probably try out the demo later today...

The demo missions are the tutorial for idiots missions. you can't really get creative in any of them 'cept the last one. The subsequent missions in the full game are a lot more interesting. Especially if you're going for all laptops/no witnesses/minimal violence

Eyeball

Arcane
This game is a bit like portal. Gameplay revolves around a hi-tech gimmick (rewiring electrical equipment at a distance vs Portal's wormhole cannon) and it Works really well, playing a bit like a side-scrolling Splinter Cell meets The Incredible Machine. Also like Portal what keeps this game together is the humour. Conway's narration and quips are often hilarious and like Ulminati says, the game takes the right approach to Steam achievement by using them to take the piss out of the achievement system in general. It has about the right length, the main campaign being seemingly more of a vehicle to demonstrate the engine and what can be done with the editing Tool, but I would like for it to have been a Little bit more difficult in the later missions. Two of the later ones I was done with in literally a minute, knocking Down or avoiding like 1 guard and flicking some switches to complete with the highest ranking.

My Noirey end game message:

"6 dead. 28 injured. 20 jobs. $13,000. The week echoed in my mind like something that happened in the last week.
They don't let me name names on this blog, but the person behind the hit I was investigating is probably being picked up by the East Point police about now.
I, er, may have killed more people than I actually avenged here.
The trigger man's going down. That would have felt good if I hadn't just taken a seven story body slam.
I don't know.
Sometimes I think I picked the wrong side.
Maybe that doesn't matter. Maybe all that matters is justice.
Either way, I think I need 10ccs of ketamine and a Columbo marathon. "

Gunpoint is fucking great, easily worth your 10 dollars for the few hours of entertainment it will provide. I am not convinced that it will build up enough of a following to have nerds make enough custom missions for it to have staying power, but its sense of humour, charm, lovely soundtrack and good, simple gameplay and good UI makes it a very worthwhile purchase all the same.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Late to this party, but another Roguey-approved stealth puzzler, truly the best genre. Though not worth the absurd special/exclusive edition price gouging; now that's an odd decision, charging as much (or double if you get it all) for your extras as you do your two hour game. :M

anus_pounder

Arcane
:thumbsup: I rather enjoyed this game, think I'll reinstall and play it again. I give it both fists up the butt.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom