Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

1eyedking Gyre: Maelstrom (meaningful c&c, procedural narrative, transhumanism, parkour, ex-Bioware)

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Evodant Interactive is proud to announce development on our new steampunk game, Gyre. Gyre emerges from the wonderful lineage of narrative RPGs that have preceded it, imbued with years of research into procedurally-generated narrative and responsive story-forming. Gyre goes beyond branching narrative or virtually identical endings. Player choice doesn’t just matter at the end or when the developers briefly relinquish the reins — the game itself observes the player and responds to that agency dynamically. Contacts, allies & enemies are not pulled from stock archetypes but are constructed during play to complement your character, ensuring that, as with historical oral storytelling tradition, each tale will grow in the telling.

http://gyremaelstrom.com/

Gyre: Maelstrom is a video game for PC and Console that is based on a mechanical post-futuristic dystopia stemming from alt-history events of the mid-1800s. Characters are androids with human consciousness and are capable of massive customization. The player character progresses through a non-linear, non-scripted narrative of meaningful choices generated in real-time, that impact their story.

Narrative
The narrative is powered Evodant Interactive’s proprietary Toska Engine to dynamically generate a unique story for every player. Toska is a first-of-its-kind procedural interactive narrative engine. The engine’s goal is to generate an engaging narrative dynamically during gameplay that is contextually appropriate to the game. In doing so, every player experiences a story that is uniquely their own. Your choices during the game have meaningful impact on not just the middle of the story, which is commonly reserved for scripted branching plot lines, but also on the foundation stones of the story and the ultimate resolution of the entire narrative.

Environment
Players will enjoy parkour-style traversal of a massive, procedurally generated city, complete with a railed tram system. We are putting a lot of work into creating an environmental concept to base our architectural grammar on that generates a massive variety of building types, locations, neighborhoods and aesthetics. We have designed the game to include building destructibility as some characters have the ability to bash through walls. Others have the ability to manipulate the environment such that the creation of extensions, ledges and bridges enhance their own city traversal – or allow for the creation of obstacles during a chase scene.

Player Styles
You have the choice of how you can play Gyre. Whether it’s pure combat, political intrigue, stealth or a combination, the game adapts to the kind of story you are most often pursuing. Allies & enemies are forged during run-time in response to your choices. Gameplay abandons traditional filler quests in favour of meaningful consequences to your choices throughout the story without forced conscription to heroism or villainy. You have the option of exploring at will, but just note that the world moves along at all times. NPCs have goals they want to achieve and you might be helping or hindering those plans. The Gyre is always moving forward – as is your story. Semper incedendo!

fp0bIIx.png

Is this the hyper-reactive, consequence-driven RPG the Codex has been waiting for all these years? Has the RPG revolution finally arrived? We'll know more once the first pieces of in-game footage become available.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
From my inbox:

Re: [Maelstrom List] Where is Libby?

Hey, I think you know my sister Libby. I need your help -- at least, I think I do.

Libby told me that if she didn’t come home from the institute or call to say she was staying out, I had to load some program on her laptop. Which makes no sense but whatever.

And I thought she was kidding and I wasn’t paying attention and now it’s been 48 hours since anyone’s heard from her and no one’s seen her come home from her lab.

I tried calling her thesis advisor but I couldn’t get a hold of him either. So now I’m paying attention.

I found a USB labelled “Gyre: Maelstrom.” When I plugged it in, the only thing it had on it was a file marked ICOE.log. “In Case Of Emergency?” Maybe? I don’t know. But I know I want my big sister to come home.

[UNPACKING] ICOE.logfile
[OK] waiting for /panopticon/gyre/tmp to hotsync
[OK] /gyre/tmp hotsync...DONE
[INIT] Please wait...Panopticon build 22ff17ac_03091833 initialized
[OK] sidecast initialized...
[OK] sidecast stabilizing...
[TIMEOUT] sidecast stabilizing...
[OK] sidecast stabilized
[OK] activating gyre
[OK] gyre established
[1/43] sidecast gyre successful
[OK] attempting handshake
[OK] incoming sidecast
[UNK] cannot parse
[OK] setting keymap
[OK] keymap successful
[INIT] langsniff.exe
[OK] langsniff.exe initialized
[TIMEOUT] langsniff.exe verbose [v1.65546] Attempting sniff...not Eng...not Fre...not Ger...not Man...not Ara...positive. Spa detected.
[OK] langsniff.exe [translating]
[OK] are grateful for the be ^Nfi[U+0167]n[U+0167] bestowed by the league to those petitio ^Nr states here assembled. If it please the master do[U+0167]nt, we would honour our league’s founding members by a rereading of the speech given by master ignatz fresnel in paris on the third of march in the year of our lord eighteen fifty three on the occasion of the founding of our glorious league. Our brothers and our sisters, our mothers and fathers, held out strong calloused hands and told their countries’ sons to stand and demand more. They implored those of courage to take to their barricades until the monarchy submits until the peasants submit until all submit who would retard the clockwork march of time. They have submitted. We are here and we who would embra[U+0167] the lockstep march of time have brought glory to our varied lands. But I submit that our fight is not ended. It is in fact today just beginning. Herr fresnel spoke these words to an audien[U+0167] of brave hearts united as[ERROR: langsniff.exe driver ‘tr-spa’ failure. Aborting]
[OK] langsniff.exe [re-initalizing, translating]
[OK] such measures as are ^N[U+0167]ssary to ensure that trade continue forthwith. If it please the master do[U+0167]nt I would be recognized. The master do[U+0167]nt will recognize the ambassador of hab. Thank you. With respect to my comrades and their evident trepidation it is the position of my people that this moment presents us with an opportunity to take a firmer hand with regard to our resolve to quell the displeasure we have all[ERROR: langsniff.exe driver ‘tr-spa’ failure. Aborting]
[OK] langsniff.exe [re-initializing, translating]
[OK] until such intrusion counter measures are in pla[U+0167] this meeting of the league is now adjour ^Nd.
[OK] sidecast gyre terminated at source
[OK] sidecast terminated, successful
[OK] log.dump committed

And that’s what I’ve got. And it’s gibberish. But I need Libby back and I have zero idea if this has anything to do with it or not.

Maybe you have ideas. Maybe you know what this is about. But even if you don’t, I need to find her.

Please help me!
Lawrence.

Anthedon

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
So many buzzwords, so little substance. Some of it sounds interesting. But it's also coming for consoles.

World History

Dozens of failed, real-world revolutions around our 1850 depart from our past to instead become successful in the history of the game world. These revolutions kickstarted a period of unfettered technological exploration that passes through pre-electronic human-machine cybernetics to culminate in real artificial consciousness several centuries early.

The singularity has arrived and an android population has driven organic-based humans to extinction. Gameplay occurs with mortality a backup and restoration away. Players juggle class warfare driven by romance and disdain for the memory of humanity.

These days, new “people” are born in the Creche. An Usher is the name given to a Creche attendant who nurtures the physical and mental development of freshly minted androids. The Creche is always staffed by members of the three main Families who have foresworn any allegiance to their HQ and any faction in deference to upholding their charges in the Creche.

Space Insect

Arcane
All the dev has done before is mobile shovel ware according to their website. If nothing else, their string quartet sounded nice, reminded me of Arcanum.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
The only good thing about the pitch is that they call themselves artisans not artists.

Procedural narrative interests me, procedural parkour not so much.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
the game itself observes the player and responds to that agency dynamically. Contacts, allies & enemies are not pulled from stock archetypes but are constructed during play to complement your character, ensuring that, as with historical oral storytelling tradition, each tale will grow in the telling.

Even ignoring, for a moment, the parkour stuff and the fact those are ex-Bioware people, that sounds too ambitious to pull off in any meaningful way.

Beastro

Arcane
Haha, Spring of Nations producing a technological revolution. :lol:

Class warfare?

Romance?

Overuse of trans- and a pile of other buzzwords?

Yeah, this isn't the nice slice of Bioware that gave us Neo Scavenger.

Roqua

Prospernaut
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual In My Safe Space
So many buzzwords, so little substance. Some of it sounds interesting. But it's also coming for consoles.

There aren't many PC-exclusive RPGs nowadays.

But there are crpgs designed first and foremost for the pc and released in all version son the pc first such as WL2. Console games are designed for consoles, like Bioware games and Sword Coast Legends. It has a tremendous and dramatic impact on design and audience. Console games are depthless kids shit for monkey savages. Crpgs are for gentlemen and scholars with good taste and who like depth and complexity and a much more refined and mature gaming experience.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
What's really the point of a "Ex-Bioware producers: 1" counter besides looking retarded?

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck
Why not just call it a franchise, ffs.
Transmedia implies that all the different media parts compose a single work, while franchise is basically just a brand you can slap on anything. It's an important distinction from a media theory perspective, though probably not from a consumer's one.

if you substitute "cosmos" for "work", it's the same as many franchises.

Zdzisiu

Arcane
From my inbox:

Re: [Maelstrom List] Where is Libby?

Hey, I think you know my sister Libby. I need your help -- at least, I think I do.

Libby told me that if she didn’t come home from the institute or call to say she was staying out, I had to load some program on her laptop. Which makes no sense but whatever.

And I thought she was kidding and I wasn’t paying attention and now it’s been 48 hours since anyone’s heard from her and no one’s seen her come home from her lab.

I tried calling her thesis advisor but I couldn’t get a hold of him either. So now I’m paying attention.

I found a USB labelled “Gyre: Maelstrom.” When I plugged it in, the only thing it had on it was a file marked ICOE.log. “In Case Of Emergency?” Maybe? I don’t know. But I know I want my big sister to come home.

[UNPACKING] ICOE.logfile
[OK] waiting for /panopticon/gyre/tmp to hotsync
[OK] /gyre/tmp hotsync...DONE
[INIT] Please wait...Panopticon build 22ff17ac_03091833 initialized
[OK] sidecast initialized...
[OK] sidecast stabilizing...
[OK] sidecast stabilized
[OK] activating gyre
[OK] gyre established
[1/43] sidecast gyre successful
[OK] attempting handshake
[OK] incoming sidecast
[UNK] cannot parse
[OK] setting keymap
[OK] keymap successful
[INIT] langsniff.exe
[OK] langsniff.exe initialized
[TIMEOUT] langsniff.exe verbose [v1.65546] Attempting sniff...not Eng...not Fre...not Ger...not Man...not Ara...positive. Spa detected.
[OK] langsniff.exe [translating]
[OK] are grateful for the be ^Nfi[U+0167]n[U+0167] bestowed by the league to those petitio ^Nr states here assembled. If it please the master do[U+0167]nt, we would honour our league’s founding members by a rereading of the speech given by master ignatz fresnel in paris on the third of march in the year of our lord eighteen fifty three on the occasion of the founding of our glorious league. Our brothers and our sisters, our mothers and fathers, held out strong calloused hands and told their countries’ sons to stand and demand more. They implored those of courage to take to their barricades until the monarchy submits until the peasants submit until all submit who would retard the clockwork march of time. They have submitted. We are here and we who would embra[U+0167] the lockstep march of time have brought glory to our varied lands. But I submit that our fight is not ended. It is in fact today just beginning. Herr fresnel spoke these words to an audien[U+0167] of brave hearts united as[ERROR: langsniff.exe driver ‘tr-spa’ failure. Aborting]
[OK] langsniff.exe [re-initalizing, translating]
[OK] such measures as are ^N[U+0167]ssary to ensure that trade continue forthwith. If it please the master do[U+0167]nt I would be recognized. The master do[U+0167]nt will recognize the ambassador of hab. Thank you. With respect to my comrades and their evident trepidation it is the position of my people that this moment presents us with an opportunity to take a firmer hand with regard to our resolve to quell the displeasure we have all[ERROR: langsniff.exe driver ‘tr-spa’ failure. Aborting]
[OK] langsniff.exe [re-initializing, translating]
[OK] until such intrusion counter measures are in pla[U+0167] this meeting of the league is now adjour ^Nd.
[OK] sidecast gyre terminated at source
[OK] sidecast terminated, successful
[OK] log.dump committed

And that’s what I’ve got. And it’s gibberish. But I need Libby back and I have zero idea if this has anything to do with it or not.

Maybe you have ideas. Maybe you know what this is about. But even if you don’t, I need to find her.

Please help me!
Lawrence.
Is Libby hot? Is she willing to put out when I find her? I need to know before I accept the quest. Thats the first rule of rpgs, always ask about the reward before you do the thing. Otherwise you will be given 20 gold pieces and a firm handshake.

V_K

Arcane
if you substitute "cosmos" for "work", it's the same as many franchises.
First, those are two very different things, you can't just substitute one for the other.
Second, even in this form it's not necessarily true for many franchises. E.g. if I'm not mistaken, Final Fantasy titles have different unconnected settings. Same will be true for Torment, once TToN comes out.

Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck
First, those are two very different things, you can't just substitute one for the other.
Second, even in this form it's not necessarily true for many franchises. E.g. if I'm not mistaken, Final Fantasy titles have different unconnected settings. Same will be true for Torment, once TToN comes out.

Transmedia storytelling
(also known as transmedia narrative or multiplatform storytelling, cross-media seriality) is the technique of telling a single story or story experience across multiple platforms and formats using current digital technologies, not to be confused with traditional cross-platform media franchises, sequels, or adaptations.

Spin-offs notwithstanding, when is a "story" like Star Wars fully told? After one movie? A movie and a book? And no, "story" and "cosmos" are not easily separable terms.

V_K

Arcane
That's why I'm talking about (art)works, not stories. A single Star Wars movie is a single work - you can easily watch only one and be done with it. Or you can just as well only read one book. They don't need each other to be finished works. In theory if you watch/read/listen to only one part of a transmedia work, you won't be getting a complete experience. In practice, of course, marketing people never use scholarly terms well, diluting their meanings.
A good example of a truly transmedia project would be Greenway's Tulse Luper Suitcases.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
The Toska Narrative Engine

The Toska Narrative Engine is the result of years of research and development in the areas of expressive artificial intelligence, narratology, linguistic theory, psychology and cognitive science. Toska lays the foundation for some astonishing, highly personalized narrative experiences.

As the world’s first platform for delivering dynamic, real-time story without pre-scripted or branching narrative structures, we realize that the promise of what Toska offers is revolutionary – and almost unbelievable. With an entire industry having spent over 20 years exploring the possibilities, Toska stands at the forefront of a new class of not only new game experiences but also a whole new range of disruptive transmedia products and services.

This project must have been decades in the making. Very impressed so far.

My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
So rather than just the tired old "we can't do more than a small amount of good level design so we'll generate a lot of bland levels". We now get "we can't write a small amount of good narrative so we'll generate a lot of bland fluff". Games are so filled with bland fluff and ignorable sidequests I doubt it'll make much difference though. Despite all the fancy buzzwords I figure this will be a dull & forgettable game.

vortex

Fabulous Optimist
There was some time ago an action RPG inspired by Dark souls project developed by ex-Biowares but it was cancelled. Is this it revamped ?
I can't remember the name of cancelled project.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom