Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

H1Z1 (SOE) - F2P with zombies, woo!

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=799469
http://www.reddit.com/r/h1z1

Dev Posts
  • What is H1Z1 by Smed
  • There are a TON of dev posts in the last day. Most of the front page threads have posts in them.
Gameplay Details
  • First Person or Third Person shooter
  • Zombie Survival
  • Night is dark and full of terrors
  • Player versus Player at it's core.
  • More than just zombies in the world
  • Base Building, Town building, Fortress creation
  • Can burn down things others build.
  • Lots of crafting. Probably the biggest thing about the game.
  • Vehicles are already in. Possibility of aircraft in the future.
  • Based off the United States.
  • If you die, you lose your gear. It stays on your corpse.
  • "No skills or levels".
  • "Thousands of players". I'm willing to bet this will be larger, playercount wise, than planetside 2.
  • There will be Hunting.
Tech Details
  • PC first, PS4 later. "Well, we are Sony" when asked about the PS4 version.
    • In terms of cross-platform play, Planetside 2 will not be doing cross platform due to the logistics of updating the game on the PS4 vs the PC. I expect that this has not changed so I don't see cross-platform play happening. SOE has made no comment on this point however, so I could be talking out of my ass.
  • "If you can run Planetside 2, you can run H1Z1 better".
  • "Orders of magnitude larger than Planetside 2".
  • Based of Planetside 2. Shares no tech with Everquest Next (so no Voxels).
  • Built in voice chat options.
Monetization Details
  • Free to play
  • Part of the All-Access subscription that SOE is launching this month. $15/mo for premium sub in all SOE games.
  • "you seriously don't need to spend a dime. We're still figuring out the monetization but we will telegraph our plans early and let people comment and we'll listen if they don't like something and come to a place where people feel good about it." -Smed, in this thread
  • Early Access ($20ish, on steam) in 4-6 weeks.

8jpg-0a6365.jpg

• Uses Forgelight which is SOE's current generation MMO Engine, capable of supporting up to 2,000 players in a single instance.
  • Nights are going to be dark and full of terrors. "you need to have a torch and you will be ganked by other players, zombies"
  • Player Construction confirmed. As is burning things down.
  • 'Launching on PC, we have yet to discuss other platforms... but we are Sony'
  • Huge crafting system
  • No leveling, no skills
Regarding monetization plans: http://www.reddit.com/r/h1z1/comments/22p8rc/monetization_in_h1z1/

---

Yes, it's the F2P devil but otherwise it sounds sweet. The game that DayZ might've been, perhaps.

Borelli

Arcane
Endless, constantly multiplying, symbolic of our world's flaws, you cannot kill them only run from them. They are the ... zombie games.:M

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
Endless, constantly multiplying, symbolic of our world's flaws, you cannot kill them only run from them. They are the ... zombie games.:M

Yeah but what can you do, the marketing department said that zombies are now hip and cool. I'm more interested in the crafting and base building aspect, myself.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
I really hope there is an actual MMORPG there and not just a glorified survival simulator in the wake of Day Z and all the other clones. I wouldn't mind zombies if the game turned out to be a worthy successor to SWG, which they touted it as before this announcement. At least we won't have to wait that long for the first impressions.

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I'm probably gonna drop my all access sub, not sure there is anything I want to play on there.

Haven't even touched the thing in months.

All the shitty FTP mmo's you want. Just pay $15 a month to level up a little quicker and earn more of the in game jew gold.

I wish they would concentrate more on making decent games than going for the cash grab, but that could be said of any game company and not just SoE.

Black

Arcane
Sony revolutionizes the industry once again. They probably saw that DayZ is one of the top sellers on steam and jumped the train.

Quatlo

Arcane
So, Planetside 2 is going down the crapper now?
First they moved most of the team to work on other projects and now we get this shit?
Fuck, at least make them aliens or monsters, but no, we get another fucking zombie game.

I hate this industry.

Alchemist

Arcane
Man, I wish they had just made SWG 2 with the IP filed off instead. I never asked for this. Aren't people sick of zombies yet?

I'll give it a fair shot though. It might be fun if some true sandbox dynamics emerge and players can really have an effect on the world. Extensive crafting, player-driven economy, dangerous dark nights, player structures and permadeath are all features I like.

In before ammo clips for Station Cash...

Froglok

Educated
more garbage from SoE

fun fact: Sony is cannabalizing their planetside 2 team and moving them to this piece of shit, pretty much signaling the end of development for PS2

shit company shit games

Redeye

Arcane
So, Planetside 2 is going down the crapper now?
First they moved most of the team to work on other projects and now we get this shit?
Fuck, at least make them aliens or monsters, but no, we get another fucking zombie game.

I hate this industry.

What if the Aliens are Monsters, and they defeated their own Zombie Plague, then decided to weaponize the Zombies using the R&D they did to save themselves?

Now they use the Zombies to soften up other planets for colonization.

Maybe too Half-Life ish.

Spin it so that the Aliens attacked and the Humans made a nano-bio plague to mobilize their dead to make the planet too dangerous for alien colonization- Revenge From The Grave.
But there are still humans left, and only some of them are in the safe places. The majority of human survivors, including the players, have to deal with all of this, without even knowing the whole story.

Also, the Monsters are emerging, sensing that the Reign of Man has ended.

They are really fucking confused.

Quatlo

Arcane
What if the Aliens are Monsters, and they defeated their own Zombie Plague, then decided to weaponize the Zombies using the R&D they did to save themselves?

Now they use the Zombies to soften up other planets for colonization.

Maybe too Half-Life ish.

Spin it so that the Aliens attacked and the Humans made a nano-bio plague to mobilize their dead to make the planet too dangerous for alien colonization- Revenge From The Grave.
But there are still humans left, and only some of them are in the safe places. The majority of human survivors, including the players, have to deal with all of this, without even knowing the whole story.

Also, the Monsters are emerging, sensing that the Reign of Man has ended.

They are really fucking confused.

KzivUPw.jpg

Hi, Michael Bay here.
Your idea is very good but I have some really explosive ideas for improvements! Bear with me for a while!
First, we need to think another name for Zombies, say, Shamblers. People in movie cannot know about zombies and how to deal with them!
Second, we need to make our protagonist to be CGI Paul Walker, he will be ex military kicked out from marines because he disobeyed a direct order to shoot at people affected by the Shambler Plague.
Third, our heroes make their way up to the alien mothership and the movie ends with awesome space battle!

Thanks again and stay tuned for relase Q2 2015!

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
I'll stay with DayZ. This one is tightly focussed on only PvP - while PvP is a must I'd rather have some survival stuff thrown in as well.
Plus Chernarus is a lot better than another boring US centric countryside.

Redeye

Arcane
KzivUPw.jpg

Hi, Michael Bay here.
Your idea is very good but I have some really explosive ideas for improvements! Bear with me for a while!
First, we need to think another name for Zombies, say, Shamblers. People in movie cannot know about zombies and how to deal with them!
Second, we need to make our protagonist to be CGI Paul Walker, he will be ex military kicked out from marines because he disobeyed a direct order to shoot at people affected by the Shambler Plague.
Third, our heroes make their way up to the alien mothership and the movie ends with awesome space battle!

Thanks again and stay tuned for relase Q2 2015!

Funny.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Is their idea of making a game today is take a new engine (planetside 2) and downgrade graphics to 2004 standard?

Mortmal

Arcane
First the free to play thing was misleading, i bet many kids were disapointed to discover they had to pay for early access.. while its indeed f2P at release. Now a swing of credit card to get a gun and ammo air drop, i wont ever bother to follow that game anymore.Yes put SOE out of its misery and smedley to rehab with his old pal brad mc quaid .

Kane

I have many names
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=799469
http://www.reddit.com/r/h1z1

8jpg-0a6365.jpg

• Uses Forgelight which is SOE's current generation MMO Engine, capable of supporting up to 2,000 players in a single instance.
  • Nights are going to be dark and full of terrors. "you need to have a torch and you will be ganked by other players, zombies"
  • Player Construction confirmed. As is burning things down.
  • 'Launching on PC, we have yet to discuss other platforms... but we are Sony'
  • Huge crafting system
  • No leveling, no skills
Regarding monetization plans: http://www.reddit.com/r/h1z1/comments/22p8rc/monetization_in_h1z1/

---

Yes, it's the F2P devil but otherwise it sounds sweet. The game that DayZ might've been, perhaps.

778f422af19586c17554a1588a07bd09.gif

Black

Arcane
No, not soe out of its misery. All of sony.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom