Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Half life 2

Wilian

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
HL2 was good game which suffered from couple issues, namely the length of the first driving sequence over waters and HP bloat if playing on Hard (which was the only way to play it since Normal was just piss-easy shit). A bit more pruning on designer's part and less bloaty combat would've really put this up into great category.

Wasteland 2
From what I've read, it was focus tested to death. In the midway through development it received extensive focus test, followed by a massive redesign of all aspects of the game, including story and tone, gameplay and level design.

I think HL2 was a decent game overall, just an overrated one and a disappointment after excellent HL1. I enjoyed Doom 3 more.

Last edited:

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Focused tested to death seems about right. The game just has that lifeless quality to it typical of something made by committee.

Also, i remember reading somewhere that the original main designer of the first game cashed in on the success of the game (which made a shit load of money) and was never seen again. Too lazy to check if this is true, but it might explain why the sequel feels so different from the original, despite being more or less the same in a superficial sense.

Last edited:

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
As an FPS it is pretty lacking compared to a lot of games that came out around the same time, like FEAR.
I wouldn't call it lacking, because the combat was actually relatively old school for 2004. Really basic controls with few changes from HL1, fairly distinct weapon types (although lacking any really creative ones save for the Gravity Gun) and a rather arcade-ish feel compared to most other shooters from that year. I guess it also depends on your playstyle to some extent, because the game's so easy that you rarely have to do anything creative in combat, even though the game definitely gives you opportunities for that. I certainly enjoyed it ten times more than fucking F.E.A.R. which started to repeat itself way before the half-way mark. HL2 has quite a lot of variety for a corridor shooter.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Half-Life 2 is basically the progenitor of the modern cinematic, overly-linear shooting-gallery FPS. Impressive art direction and some fun physics toys, but very boring as a game. I would rephrase ScottishMartialArt's question as: do you enjoy CoD4-style FPS campaigns? If the answer is yes, HL2 is probably the best there is.
Man, Half life 1 was released in november 1998 and Medal of Honor was released on november 1999. The true progenitor of the Call of Duty was Medal of Honor, the game wasn't influenced by Half life 1 (there is only one year of difference between one and the other)Medal of Honor was a game made since day one to be as cinematic as possible because there was all that hype about Saving Private Rian movie with even some collaboration with Steven Spielberg in the project, Medal of Honor was also on the PS 2, one of the first FPS to be multiplatform while Half life 1 remained only on the PC.

Call of Duty 1 was released in 2003 while Half life 2 was released in 2004, the Infinity ward guys got out of the Medal of Honor team because they saw all the hype the D Day invasion mission caused in Medal of Honor and they wanted to make an entire game like that (Call of Duty) and the team that made Medal of Honor didn't like the idea so the Infinite Ward guys left for Activision. The cinematic gamming people see today is just the logic conclusion of Call of Duty 1 philosophy and has little to do with Half Life 1 .

Half Life 1 and 2 used scripts in it's levels and were linear games but they have completely different beats, vehicles, puzzles, combat encounters, level design, weapons, level transitions, cinematics (Half life 1 and 2 have none), atmosphere, story telling, physics (CoD to this day don't get even close to Half Life 2 in this) weapon recoil and shooting mechanics. Both Valve and Infinite Ward wanted to tell a story with a FPS but they gone through really different paths with the Infinity Ward way becomming dominant and Valve just giving up on single player games, unfortunately. Saying that Half life 2 is like CoD 4 because both are linear sound really strange to me.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I wouldn't call it lacking, because the combat was actually relatively old school for 2004. Really basic controls with few changes from HL1, fairly distinct weapon types (although lacking any really creative ones save for the Gravity Gun) and a rather arcade-ish feel compared to most other shooters from that year. I guess it also depends on your playstyle to some extent, because the game's so easy that you rarely have to do anything creative in combat, even though the game definitely gives you opportunities for that. I certainly enjoyed it ten times more than fucking F.E.A.R. which started to repeat itself way before the half-way mark. HL2 has quite a lot of variety for a corridor shooter.

It has variety and great atmosphere, but compared to the actual shooting mechanics in FEAR it comes up very wanting. Shooting mechanics take priority, so I would put HL2 way below FEAR quality-wise, but that's me.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
Man, Half life 1 was released in november 1998 and Medal of Honor was released on november 1999. The true progenitor of the Call of Duty was Medal of Honor, the game wasn't influenced by Half life 1 (there is only one year of difference between one and the other)Medal of Honor was a game made since day one to be as cinematic as possible because there was all that hype about Saving Private Rian movie with even some collaboration with Steven Spielberg in the project, Medal of Honor was also on the PS 2, one of the first FPS to be multiplatform while Half life 1 remained only on the PC..
The Infinity Ward people worked on Medal of Honor: Allied Assault, which was released in 2002 and was most definitely influenced by Half-Life. The 1999 Medal of Honor, on the other hand, was a PlayStation 1 exclusive and looked like this. Hardly "as cinematic as possible".

Half-Life definitely had a hand in the development of the corridor shooter genre, but I wouldn't blame it too much. It was a good game that broke new ground on many fronts, but many developers tried to copy it and failed horribly. When HL2 came out the decline was already full-blown.

CyberWhale

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
First Call of Duty, although a different kind of corridor confined beast, was actually a good game as well.
The same could be said about its excellent expansion United Offensive.

I never actually played the second installment, partly because of increased hardware requirements and partly because it started with those awful health regeneration mechanics.
The third and the fourth games are shit and I didn't even bother playing any of them after that.

Renegen

Arcane
HL2 was the first game on my new computer so it was amazing. Seriously, half the reason for single player FPSes is just the graphics.

Gozma

Arcane
HL2 was the first game on my new computer so it was amazing. Seriously, half the reason for single player FPSes is just the graphics.

Same. In that era before the PC-ified consoles homogenized AAA the PC "tech demo purchase" was almost mandatory.

I played HL1 late, after HL2, and it seemed like basically the same experience plus some rough edges and (mostly) minus pseudo-cutscenes.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Focused tested to death seems about right. The game just has that lifeless quality to it typical of something made by committee.

I suppose you're the same kind of aspies who also think System Shock 2 feels lifeless.

HL2 just has different pace than Doomtard and Call of Ameriga.

...but it might explain why the sequel feels so different from the original, despite being more or less the same in a superficial sense.

You mean using an entirely different setting has nothing to do with it?

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
I was talking about the game itself, not the atmosphere. Half Life 2 has something insipid about it. It doesn't have single ounce of the charisma the original did.

dnf

Pedophile
Dumbfuck Shitposter
Other important elements that differentiate Half-Life from CoD:

1) Loneliness (Alyx segments are an exception to the rule)
2) Relatively large amounts of "downtime" without much action, as opposed to CoD's roller-coaster pacing
3) "Monster"/"horror" segments that are of course completely unlike anything in CoD-style military shooters
Gordon is no more a forever alone nerd like in HL. He is the nerd messiah. point 2 stands. As for the Monster segments, Zombie DLC for Black Cocks :smug: And of course much more examples.

Lemming42

Arcane
I liked it back in the day. I doubt I'd find anything really worthwhile in it today, and I don't want to try because if I play it and it sucks then I'll have trampled on all the good memories I have with it.

SMOD should still be fun, though, if only for how ridiculous it makes everything.

I always get totally butthurt when I read about the Half Life 2 beta. It looks about a hundred times more interesting than the finished product, with City 17 being much, much darker and more oppressive, a trip through the surrounding wasteland (which was the ocean before the Combine stole Earth's resources) and then on to the Air Exchange or whatever it was called. The citizens wearing gasmasks because they're physically unable to breathe on their own planet anymore would have been such a memorable thing to see in a game.

Oh, and Dr. Breen was morphing into a slug, which would also have pushed it squarely into GOTY territory.

Self-Ejected

ScottishMartialArts

Self-Ejected
Half-Life 2 is basically the progenitor of the modern cinematic, overly-linear shooting-gallery FPS. Impressive art direction and some fun physics toys, but very boring as a game. I would rephrase ScottishMartialArt's question as: do you enjoy CoD4-style FPS campaigns? If the answer is yes, HL2 is probably the best there is.

Sorry, no. CoD and HL2 are only superficially similar, and are on separate branches of the fps family tree. HL1 and to a lesser extent Unreal introduced the idea of using scripted sequences to make fps levels feel more alive and active than the relatively static environment+monsters levels of earlier fpses. Starting around 2000 you had a slew of HL1 influenced shooters, such as Soldier of Fortune and Voyager Elite Force, which used HL1 style scripting, coupled with more traditionally discrete levels -- Half-life can be thought of as one long continuous level with midlevel load points -- and in engine cutscenes. Then in 2002 Medal of Honor Allied Assault came out, which cranked the scripting up dramatically, placing more emphasis on experiencing a scripted cinematic rollercoaster than on traditional shooting and exploring fps gameplay. 2003s Call of Duty was essentially the unofficial sequel to Allied Assault, but for a variety of reasons it didn't become the behemoth it is today until 2007 with cod4. Since then, every major fps has followed the cod4 formula to a large degree.

HL2 was not influenced by call of duty -- it's original scheduled release date was the same month as CoD1, but ended up getting delayed a year -- nor was Call of Duty influenced by Half-Life 2 -- CoD's design, except for the addition of regenerating health, a feature that the Halo series popularized, in 2005's CoD2, has stayed completely static in the 11 year life of the series. Any superficial similarities are simply a function of it being a sequel to HL1, and it's HL1 that influenced MoHAA and in turn CoD. The differences between CoD and HL are vast. Levels are continuous, not discrete. Weapons are gamey and distinct, rather than realistic and homogeneous. Same with enemies, although HL2 had less enemy variety than HL1. Half-life has quite varied pacing, alternating between shooting, quiet exploration, character interaction, and puzzle solving, where as CoD is non stop full volume shooting. Shooting action is mobile and involves maneuvering to avoid enemy attack while using the best weapon for the individual enemy and level geometry, where as CoD involves staying behind cover picking off enemies, then advancing to the next piece of cover to pick off the next wave of spawns

In short, anyone that says that HL is just like, or even very similar to, CoD really doesn't know much about shooters and isn't paying much attention to what he's playing.

Last edited:

AN4RCHID

Arcane
Sorry, no. CoD and HL2 are only superficially similar, and are on separate branches of the fps family tree.
All the points you raise are reasons that HL2 is better, but not categorically different. HL2 has more interesting weapons, level-design and enemies, but it's still a scripted, linear corridor shooter built around nominally interactive set-pieces. Structurally it's very similar. For example, framing the levels as a continuous journey instead of discrete scenes was a good design move, but modern CoD's don't make you restart levels anyway so it's just a matter of elegance of presentation.

Self-Ejected

ScottishMartialArts

Self-Ejected
Sorry, no. CoD and HL2 are only superficially similar, and are on separate branches of the fps family tree.
All the points you raise are reasons that HL2 is better, but not categorically different. HL2 has more interesting weapons, level-design and enemies, but it's still a scripted, linear corridor shooter built around nominally interactive set-pieces. Structurally it's very similar. For example, framing the levels as a continuous journey instead of discrete scenes was a good design move, but modern CoD's don't make you restart levels anyway so it's just a matter of elegance of presentation.

They are similar in that they are both linear shooters with scripting.

Structurally they are very different. A typical CoD game has multiple player characters, in multiple locations or even time periods. Levels are discrete locales, with cinematic briefing intros and outros. When you finish one level, you either go someplace else entirely to get up to date with what's happening with another player character, or you get a message like "90 minutes later" and continue with the same character as he continues his adventure in a new place. There are some exceptions to this -- occasionally a subsequent level really is just a continuation of the previous area -- but even then you get between level briefings and situation updates that mark out each level as a discrete entity. In Half-Life, you start the game, and you play the game continuously, going from one connected area to another, until the game is done. Level transition is marked by a brief "Loading" text, but one level flows seamlessly into the next. Every hour or so, you'll load a level and get a brief text display of the chapter title. Chapters mark thematic or narrative progression only -- the game world and the player experience is still one continuous experience. And of course you have just one player character, experiencing the whole story, from beginning to end, in one linear -- no jumping around in time or place -- stretch.

In terms of linear level design, Half-Life and CoD are both linear. What distinguishes Half-Life's linearity from Call of Duty's linearity, is that in Call of Duty there is never a question of how you will navigate your environment: it's nearly always a design corridor. In Half-Life, there's only ever one way that you're going to navigate the environment, BUT the path through the environment is often quite complex, and much of the gameplay is FINDING THE PATH. Think the laser trip mine warehouse in Half-Life 1: there's only one path, but the gameplay of the level is about finding that path without blowing yourself up; the headcrabs are there not as combat threats to you, but as dumb automatons that might set off the mines. Finding a path forward is NEVER a gameplay element in CoD. That is a huge difference, particularly when you consider that even Doom had clear navigational check points -- locked doors with color coded keys -- that in most cases had to be navigated in sequential order, i.e. truly non-linear levels are a rarity in shooter design. In other words, it's not linearity per se which separates shooter level design but whether you make navigating a path through a level part of the gameplay -- even if there is only one path -- or not.

Finally, if we're gong to say that there is no categorical difference between these gameplay elements, then there really isn't any categorical difference between shooters at all. Given that certain shooters have similar characteristics that are dissimilar from other shooters, I think it is perfectly reasonable to distinguish between different kinds of shooters. A Call of Duty clone plays nothing like Half-Life. If you've played both games, and are still saying that they play very much alike, then you aren't paying attention, or have such a small basis of comparison that you can't distinguish between pretty big differences. To a 85 year old grandma, Mario Kart and Halo are both just video games; if you actually play video games, they're pretty darn different from one another, and if you play shooters in any volume it should be completely obvious that Half-Life and Call of Duty are worlds apart from one another and represent entirely different schools of first person shooter design. But hey, they're shooters, they have scripted elements in their levels, and they're mostly or entirely linear, so therefore they're just like each other, just like Mario Kart and Halo.

Last edited:

Peter

Arcane

Funny, this is definitely a problem with Valve games nowadays, but to me HL2 doesn't suffer from it at all. Probably the last game they made that felt like it was the game it was supposed to be. HL2 has grit (for lack of a better word) in a way that newer Valve games don't. The HL2 Episodes in particular pale in comparison because of this. Gone are the drawn out vehicle sections (shut up, Ep. 2 is different) and the Ravenholms and the odd, unspectacular, straightforward shootout that gave HL2 character (as opposed to the Episodes, where everything is a set piece of some sort). Everything's just a bit too smooth and convenient and "perfectly" designed in those.

Half-Life 1 is still the best game in the series, no doubt, but I do always find the HL2 backlash from fans of the original a bit odd. It seems to share a lot more with the Valve that made HL1 than the Valve that came after.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
The vehicle sections sucked. I don't want to launch into this again, OP should use the search feature as there have been numerous threads discussing HL2 before.

AN4RCHID

Arcane
In Half-Life, there's only ever one way that you're going to navigate the environment, BUT the path through the environment is often quite complex, and much of the gameplay is FINDING THE PATH.
This is certainly true of Half-Life, but HL2 is so polished and focus-tested that you will never actually be stuck or have to work to find the path. Valve did a good job of disguising corridors as complex levels, but the levels in HL2 are actually very simple.

Finally, if we're gong to say that there is no categorical difference between these gameplay elements, then there really isn't any categorical difference between shooters at all.
Basically all the differences you mentioned in your first paragraph are differences in presentation, narrative, or aesthetics; in other words, not things I would consider valid criteria for categorizing types of gameplay.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom