Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Has the Quality of Our Discussions Plummeted?

Has The quality of our Discussions Plummeted?

• Yes

Votes: 40 21.7%
  • No

Votes: 28 15.2%
  • kingcomrade

Votes: 116 63.0%

• Total voters

Melcar

Arcane
Yeah, but the guy was a loser. Fuck him.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Shit poll is shitty, won't let me express my desired nuance.

Of course the Codex has been getting worse, but it's been getting worse much slower than everywhere else.

Probably.

Gaming is pretty shitty and boring in general now. Even the incline stuff is kind of just there because the audience is older and has shit to do. I feel like checking my game news sites and forums is like clocking in for work half the time.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
LOL

2wc1w5k.jpg

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
1. HHR leaves Codex for the Watch
2. HHR begins interacting there on a daily basis with Bryce
3. Within a couple of weeks RPGWatch is flagged as malicious

COINCIDENCE?

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
Honestly...

I've been lurking since late 2008. Finally made an account in 2010. Have bouts of activity followed by bouts of inactivity. In terms of sheer discussion about actual video games, things are way better today than they were in 2010/2011. I attribute this to there actually being RPGs to talk about. Instead of screaming at each other if DX:HR is an RPG or not, we're now actually critiquing WL2 and the PoE beta.

On the other hand, there was more visible drama wankery. It's kind of jarring seeing Cleve regarded as a legitimate developer that people are supporting in this "grimoiregate" case - back then he seemed like some legitimate deranged meglomaniac, and now we're all very well aware that he just has a sense of humor. Almost every week there was something nuclear going on in GD - stuff like Train Tickets, Plane Tickets, Dicksmoker, Tranny Mansion, crispy admitting he's a virgin, etc.

So - if you want actual gaming discussion, things are better today. If you want hilarity and drama, then things were better then.

Unwanted

Unwanted
So - if you want actual gaming discussion, things are better today.

Yeah, but who wants that anyway? Vidya games suck.

It's like this: come for the RPGs, become increasingly edgy and jaded until eventually you can no longer enjoy video games at all anymore, leave forever and then come back on an alt stay for the GD madness.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
I'm beginning to think that rather than it being the quality of our discussions that has plummeted, it's rather the discussions of our quality that has plummeted.

Case in point, "This place is going down the toilet" is infinitely superior to this discussion about our quality.

Weasel
I'm beginning to think that rather than it being the quality of our discussions that has plummeted, it's rather the discussions of our quality that has plummeted.

Case in point, "This place is going down the toilet" is infinitely superior to this discussion about our quality.

I enjoyed Saint's summary of the eternal decline of the Codex:

This site has been around for four or five years now, and at least 75% of that time, there's been the obligatory, "Oh no! The Codex is dying!" posts. I mean at the VERY least, 75%. It probably started two or three days after the site went public, but I don't remember that far back. In fact, this site was probably doomed before Calis opened up the text editor to write the first bit of PHP script for this place.

Scruffy

Ex-janitor
Patron
Codex 2012 Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014
good job there, randomly brofisting crispy's posts in reward (my rewards are shit)

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
Honestly...
Almost every week there was something nuclear going on in GD - stuff like Train Tickets, Plane Tickets, Dicksmoker, Tranny Mansion, crispy admitting he's a virgin, etc.

So - if you want actual gaming discussion, things are better today. If you want hilarity and drama, then things were better then.
You forget your own contribution. Do you still require to acquisition bargain such a cat.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom