Tacticular Cancer: We'll have your balls

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Has there ever been a more criminally underrated director than John Carpenter?

Discussion in 'Codex Public Library' started by SumDrunkGuy, May 24, 2017.

1. SumDrunkGuy Learned

SumDrunkGuy
    Parrots:
    Click here and disable ads!
    Why not? You one of those Ridley Scott fags?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • nice nice x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. luj1 Learned

luj1
    Parrots:

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. mbv123 Novice

mbv123
    Parrots:
    "So what, you're going to kill me Snake?"
    "I'm tired..... maybe later"
    Show Spoiler
    I have a huge crush on Kurt Russell, full homo

^ Top  
  4. SumDrunkGuy Learned

SumDrunkGuy
    Parrots:
    The majority of posts and votes in this thread have only served to reinforce my argument that John Carpenter is the most underrated of mother fuckers. He's responsible for not only one of the greatest films ever made (The Thing), he also invented the entire Slasher sub-genre with Halloween, which it's self is one of the all time great horror films.

He's directed numerous *fantastic* cult classics, and yet he's still referred to as a B-grade director by countless dip shits, some even claiming to be fans. John Carpenter ain't no B-grade director bitch. He's one of the best, period.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • [citation needed] [citation needed] x 1
    • WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Burning Bridges Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk

Burning Bridges
    Parrots:
    There are a lot of underrated directors actually.

The problem with Carpenter - if there is one - is that most of his works is in a genre that is considered the domain of B-movies. He undoubtedly has made many magnificient movies like Christine or The Thing but that was the domain of video rental stores, where you went with some friends to borrow yet another sick movie. Over the years as we became experts and conoisseurs of films we understand that some of them were truly good, and are surprised that so many people don't know.

• Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Make America Great Again Roguey Arcane Sawyerite Sawyerist Sawyer's Bride No Fun Allowed

Roguey
    Parrots:
    While it was certainly influential, there were slasher movies before Halloween.

^ Top  
  7. Atlantico Learned

Atlantico
    Parrots:
    Sure, if you define it very broadly, like Ten Little Nigger Boys and Psycho or a bunch of exploitation movies, but I wouldn't. Halloween defined the genre like nothing else. It became the gold standard of slashers.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Make America Great Again Roguey Arcane Sawyerite Sawyerist Sawyer's Bride No Fun Allowed

Roguey
    Parrots:
    There were "a killer stalks teenagers" movies before Halloween. :M

• :M :M x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)