Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Hearthstone

WhiteGuts

Arcane
Having opponents concede on turn 2 after you've opened with N'zoth Mate + Patches + Upgrade + Bloodsail is fucking hilarious

But pirates are just busted.

WhiteGuts

Arcane
Also, floors in ranked. You won't be able to lose ranks past certain points (20, 15, 10, 5).

WhiteGuts

Arcane
  • Blackrock Mountain, The Grand Tournament, and The League of Explorers all rotate out of Standard with The Year of the Mammoth.
  • Six cards from Classic are being moved to Wild-only.
    • You cannot dust these cards, but if you own them, Blizzard is going to just give you Arcane Dust.
    • You will only get the dust for the copies you have that can be included in a deck. If you have 3 Azure Drakes, disenchant one today.
  • We will not see an Adventure this year. Instead, we will see three ~130 card expansions, and the second and third expansions will contain a small playable story like an adventure!
  • A Heroic Tavern Brawl will be going live sometime after the first expansion releases, using the Wild format.
  • Blizzard is going to work on doing more Wild tournaments.
  • Daily Login Rewards! At least for the start of the new rotation. Includes Dust, Gold, Expansion Packs, and "a few other surprises".
  • Rogues are getting Maeiv Shadowsong, a new hero! Win 10 games of Hearthstone in Standard when the rotation occurs and she's all yours.
Cards being moved to Wild : Ragnaros, Sylvanas, Azure Drake, Power Overwhelming, Ice Lance and Conceal. We get full dust value.

It'll make the game a LOT more interesting in the next couple of months that's for damn sure.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Three expansions = cashgrab. Reaching the point where I won't bother with this game anymore.

Projas

Information Superhighwayman
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Ice Lance? Are you serious? I mean what, why. Did they choose the cards randomly or something?

Tick Tock Crocodile

Unless I'm reading this wrong, it seems you will still be able to disenchant them:

So, free dust.

EDIT:
Ice Lance? Are you serious? I mean what, why. Did they choose the cards randomly or something?

Getting rid of Ice Lance gets rid of Freeze Mage. That deck, and 'uninteractive' stuff like Conceal in general, go completely against what Blizzard want for the game, and they saw this as an opportunity to remove it.

Freeze used to be my favourite deck; I'd be quite sad if I still played. Haven't had an inclination to do more than watch Hearthstone for the past several months, however.

Last edited by a moderator:

sser

Arcane
Developer

Nuking freeze mage. Freeze mage has always been an issue because it's the least interactive deck in the game, but Blizzard couldn't find a proper way around it because they fucked up in letting people run two Ice Blocks which is a grossly powerful card -- but a card that removing would punish other mage decks. Ice Lance is the proper target in this case.

Same reason they removed Conceal, btw. Freeze Mage might have inevitable 2-3 turn lethals. Conceal allows Rogue to cycle their entire deck while you just sit their helplessly. I personally think Auctioneer is a much bigger issue and there's a giant fucking elephant in the room concerning Jade Druid.

It does show Blizzard willing to make bigger changes so hopefully that's a sign of better things to come. That they have left certain things to run amuck (like Shaman) for so long is seriously bad. I have like 20 'friends' on my B.Net acct from adding people on Hearthstone (to do quests and what not) and virtually none of them have been playing for the past month...

Projas

Patron
Freeze Mage already loses Torch and Emperor though, this is an overkill. Losing Emperor is especially huge, because that's what enabled those "broken" combos in the first place. And mage will always have 3 turn lethals as long as ice block is in the game.

Conceal I can sort of understand, even if it feels like robbing Rogue of a part of its idenity. Really hope they don't go with the card stealing gimmick in future expansions. And yeah, Jade Druid is a huge hamper on the meta, always going to be if they don't change something.

sser

Arcane
Developer
Freeze Mage has been around for years now, well before Emperor and Torch. Just like Miracle Rogue, actually. It's pretty clear that Blizzard wants these classes to 'move on' from those archetypes.

Revenant

That's it, I quit too (again). Got burned out in Vanilla and quit for a long period of time back then, but have been playing recently because there doesn't seem to be a better competitive game playable on a phone. However, game has been utter shit for such a long time that I can't be bothered anymore, and these news about cashgrab expansions are the final drop.

R.I.P. Hearthstone 2013-2017

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
The biggest problem is it forces people to pay more money to play fun/niche decks. Precisely the opposite of what they should be incentivizing. With more expenditure required people are going to have less cards and gravitate to the cheaper/shitty netdecks. I never played C'Thun Rogue because I wasn't about to blow 800+ dust on Blade of C'Thun -- a card with limited utility that I knew would be utterly worthless in a few months.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Expansion announced. Don't really care. Saw that they're going to have legendary spells which looks like they'll have two class legendaries making it even more costly to play. Fuck 'em. Done.

v1rus

Arcane
Expansion announced. Don't really care. Saw that they're going to have legendary spells which looks like they'll have two class legendaries making it even more costly to play. Fuck 'em. Done.

only 5 neutral legionaries tho

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Did they say that? Anyway, there were usually only 8 neutral legendries in previous expansions so it's a net addition of 6 more legendaries. And something tells me the class spells will be far more 'necessary' than the bulk of the shit legendaries they used to put out.

This was all done with profit in mind. If they wanted to 'shake things up' they could have simply designed better cards as opposed to having only 30-40 out of 130 cards per expansion be worth playing.

Projas

Patron
Did they say that? Anyway, there were usually only 8 neutral legendries in previous expansions so it's a net addition of 6 more legendaries. And something tells me the class spells will be far more 'necessary' than the bulk of the shit legendaries they used to put out.

This was all done with profit in mind. If they wanted to 'shake things up' they could have simply designed better cards as opposed to having only 30-40 out of 130 cards per expansion be worth playing.
Old Gods had 12, Gadgetzan had 11 if you count the tri-class ones which I do, so it's more like 2-3 more. Also not sure I agree the legendary spells will be necessary, as the priest one already seems too slow to see play to me. Still, it does suck since neutrals are much more versatile. I hope this is just because of the new mechanic and they won't keep this up for the next expansions.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Maybe not optimum but the fun/quirky decks are always gated behind tons of dust whereas the shit aggro/face decks are cheaper. All this does is encourage the latter.

Revenant

So, the standard arena patch went live yesterday and made me reinstall the game. Anyone tried the new arena yet? Is it easier than the Gatgetzan arena, or harder? What about rewards?

Revenant

Indeed, I got one legendary and a few epic picks on the single run I did. Apparently, they tried to make arena decks to resemble constructed ones even more, which isn't clear whether is a good or a bad thing.

So new expansion was announced and no one even cares? I guess the Codex isn't as chock-full of closet Hearthstoners as I thought.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom