Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Hearthstone

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Makes me wonder, if this has finally reached its Saturation Point. Probably.

v1rus

Arcane
Makes me wonder, if this has finally reached its Saturation Point. Probably.

I seriously hope it has, since that would mean Blizzard will finally make some much needed quality of life changes, and lower the cost. Judging by how last expansion was Lich King based which was always their strongest card, and how game technically got cheaper (no more legendary dupes) we are heading there.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
They won't do anything (that would actually make the game better). The accountants and others will be all scrambling to try and make more money. This is an Activision Product after all.

Eggs is eggs

Learned
The thing with HS is that you have to maintain it regularly.

That's why I got tired of it. I was 100% F2P, I started playing during Naxx and quit at the beginning of Ungoro and I had all the adventures and most of the meta cards from every set. I hit rank 5 every month for the rewards and even hit legend once (topped out at rank 800-something). Eventually it became a chore and I gave my account away to a friend. I created a new account to play the occasional arena run. This week's Halloween arena event is pretty fun. But grinding those dailies and playing the ladder meta got so boring.

WhiteGuts

Arcane
It's true that you have to keep playing. But I haven't spent money in the game since like Blackrock, and I've managed to gather a fine collection, honestly.

I'm still missing some critical pieces for certain decks, but overall I can play a bunch of decks and climb up whenever I feel like it.

J1M

Arcane
The thing with HS is that you have to maintain it regularly. If you do your quests every 3rd day (half an hour/hour) you will catch up sooner or later (probably later, or never when it comes to wild). But stop playing for one expansion? You are fucked, boy. If i had to start a new now, I'd never ever fucking do it. You'd need to toss like at least 500$ to catch up with standard, and you'd never fucking ever catch up with wild.

That aside, its become sort of a morning ritual for me. Get up in the morning, have breakfast and then enjoy morning coffee with Hearthstone on one monitor, and sum web surfing on the other. Sure, there are times meta is 100% pure fucking cancer, but there is times its fun as hell.
Standard being basic + 2 years of cards is what keeps me from looking at it again. Pretty sad considering I had over 95% of the classic set from doing Arena in beta/release time frame.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
The thing with HS is that you have to maintain it regularly. If you do your quests every 3rd day (half an hour/hour) you will catch up sooner or later (probably later, or never when it comes to wild). But stop playing for one expansion? You are fucked, boy. If i had to start a new now, I'd never ever fucking do it. You'd need to toss like at least 500$ to catch up with standard, and you'd never fucking ever catch up with wild.

That aside, its become sort of a morning ritual for me. Get up in the morning, have breakfast and then enjoy morning coffee with Hearthstone on one monitor, and sum web surfing on the other. Sure, there are times meta is 100% pure fucking cancer, but there is times its fun as hell.
Standard being basic + 2 years of cards is what keeps me from looking at it again. Pretty sad considering I had over 95% of the classic set from doing Arena in beta/release time frame.

You realize that standard is only basic + 1 year right?

Every year, the switch out the oldest 3-4 expansions, so you have to get new cards. The old cards will never be back into standard. So it doesnt matter, if u didnt get them. The classic cards are the most important to have alot of.

Projas

Information Superhighwayman
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Well, it's 1 year at the start of the cycle and 2 at the end, but whatever, any time you either want to get back into the game after a long period of inactivity or want to start playing as a new player, you will always be missing cards from at least 3 and at most 6 expansions. Classic being the most important was and to an extent still is true, but the problem is, Blizzard is trying to move away from that. They want to reduce the impact of cards from the basic set, hence the nerfs to cards like Innervate or FWA or straight up retiring them to wild like Conceal or Rag. And even now you absolutely can't be competitive with only classic cards.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Well, it's 1 year at the start of the cycle and 2 at the end, but whatever, any time you either want to get back into the game after a long period of inactivity or want to start playing as a new player, you will always be missing cards from at least 3 and at most 6 expansions. Classic being the most important was and to an extent still is true, but the problem is, Blizzard is trying to move away from that. They want to reduce the impact of cards from the basic set, hence the nerfs to cards like Innervate or FWA or straight up retiring them to wild like Conceal or Rag. And even now you absolutely can't be competitive with only classic cards.

It's 1 year at the end of a cycle. Year of the mammoth ends in 3-4 months, so people have gathered new cards for 1 year exactly combined with the classic cards.

When The next cycle starts, 1 year of cards rotatates out, so you only get classic cards + 3 month worth of new cards..

Projas

Patron
I'm not sure we understand each other here, so just to be clear: When Year of the Mammoth ends, Whispers of the Old Gods, Karazhan and Gadgetzan rotate out. Un'goro, Frozen Throne and the next expansion that's coming in December are staying in standard. Also the cycle ends in 6 months, not 3-4, it's always in april with a new expansion.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I'm not sure we understand each other here, so just to be clear: When Year of the Mammoth ends, Whispers of the Old Gods, Karazhan and Gadgetzan rotate out. Un'goro, Frozen Throne and the next expansion that's coming in December are staying in standard. Also the cycle ends in 6 months, not 3-4, it's always in april with a new expansion.
This is correct. When a new 'standard year' of Hearthstone starts the cards from two years ago rotate out. Mammoth starts in early 2018 at which time all adventures and expansions that released in 2016 will be moved to wild. Saying Classic cards are the most important isn't entirely accurate. The strongest decks now rely on multiple legendaries from the most recent expansions. For example Priest using Kazakus, Raza, and the new Death Knight card.

The absolute biggest problem with Hearthstone now is their unmitigated greed in pushing two legendaries per class with one being tied to the main feature of each expansion. This has happened twice in a row now and will most likely happen again with the next expansion announced in a couple of days. Quests didn't pan out for most classes but Death Knights, by and large, are extremely strong cards -- more powerful than Jaraxxus.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy

Ok. so In april, we will have 4 expansions out + basic/classic. That's NOT 2 years of expansion cards, then.As I said many times now.

At most, it will be 1 year worth of new cards that y ou have to gather at the end of the cycle, and at the start of the cycle, it's abit less than that.

That's not really alot of cards to gather, if u just play the game now and then. It's easy getting packs free from just playing and rewards.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
This is correct. When a new 'standard year' of Hearthstone starts the cards from two years ago rotate out. Mammoth starts in early 2018 at which time all adventures and expansions that released in 2016 will be moved to wild. Saying Classic cards are the most important isn't entirely accurate. The strongest decks now rely on multiple legendaries from the most recent expansions. For example Priest using Kazakus, Raza, and the new Death Knight card.

The absolute biggest problem with Hearthstone now is their unmitigated greed in pushing two legendaries per class with one being tied to the main feature of each expansion. This has happened twice in a row now and will most likely happen again with the next expansion announced in a couple of days. Quests didn't pan out for most classes but Death Knights, by and large, are extremely strong cards -- more powerful than Jaraxxus.

Only a few deathknights are used in top tier decks now, and those can be nerfed or will be. rest of the deathknights are pretty trash tier. Besides, blizz made the legendary change, so getting legendaries is easier now cos u dont get duplicates. Also, they tend to give you 1-2 legens of the set for free each expansion.

And quest mage is tier 1

Eggs is eggs

Learned
It's a damned if you do, damned if you don't scenario. If they rotate out old sets it helps keep the game fresh but puts the players on an un-ending treadmill of spending time/money to get all that new content. But if they don't rotate anything out then the game will get boring because the same old, OP cards will be played forever and/or require constant powercreep which will have the practical effect of rotating out the old cards anyway.

I've been playing a bit of their MOBA, Heroes of the Storm, which is nice that it's pretty easy to get a decent collection of heroes and heroes never get rotated out and are constantly tweaked for balance so that you don't have to worry about always grinding for new content.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
It's a damned if you do, damned if you don't scenario. If they rotate out old sets it helps keep the game fresh but puts the players on an un-ending treadmill of spending time/money to get all that new content. But if they don't rotate anything out then the game will get boring because the same old, OP cards will be played forever and/or require constant powercreep which will have the practical effect of rotating out the old cards anyway.

I've been playing a bit of their MOBA, Heroes of the Storm, which is nice that it's pretty easy to get a decent collection of heroes and heroes never get rotated out and are constantly tweaked for balance so that you don't have to worry about always grinding for new content.

It's easy to get all the cards in hearthstone, too, tho. If you aren't actively playing the game, then why should you be rewarded with free shit for doing nothing? Would you rather that each expansion cost a set amount of money, then ?

And couldnt be acquired for free?

Projas

Patron
Ok. so In april, we will have 4 expansions out + basic/classic. That's NOT 2 years of expansion cards, then.As I said many times now.
We are misunderstanding each other again. This is at the start of a cycle and yes, that's not entire 2 years of expansion cards. By end of a cycle I mean the time period after the last expansion of the current cycle releases (december) and before a new cycle begins (april). In that time period you have exactly 2 years of expansion cards + classic in standard.
And quest mage is tier 1
Not even close, it's happy to be a t4 deck. And that's not just a personal observation, read the latest vS report if you don't believe me.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor

Only a few deathknights are used in top tier decks now, and those can be nerfed or will be. rest of the deathknights are pretty trash tier. Besides, blizz made the legendary change, so getting legendaries is easier now cos u dont get duplicates. Also, they tend to give you 1-2 legens of the set for free each expansion.

So much retarded here it's hard to know where to begin... I see you're one of these people who are easily placated when they give one out of ten or so playable legendaries out for free. Barely makes a dent. The duplicates rule doesn't do shit for expansions unless you're buying 200 packs per. Most people are going to get maybe 50 or so packs per expansion. Death Knight cards trash tier? The only arguably bad one is Thrall. All of the others see consistent play.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor

It's easy to get all the cards in hearthstone, too, tho. If you aren't actively playing the game, then why should you be rewarded with free shit for doing nothing?

Either you're a moron or a shitty troll.

Would you rather that each expansion cost a set amount of money, then ? And couldnt be acquired for free?
You mean adventures where you weren't subject to RNG bullshit? Yes. But they got rid of those because they weren't milking enough money from whales.

v1rus

Arcane
Actually, Garrosh is the weakest of the bunch. Thrall is played in every single standard shaman deck, since only shaman decks, are token decks.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Only reason I said Thrall was because of the RNG. Garrosh's DK still sees quite a bit of play. Certainly none are 'trash' tier. Some are weaker in the current meta as their class doesn't really support a mid-range or control style play but you can fit most into any type of deck because they are just simply that strong.

v1rus

Arcane
Only reason I said Thrall was because of the RNG. Garrosh's DK still sees quite a bit of play. Certainly none are 'trash' tier. Some are weaker in the current meta as their class doesn't really support a mid-range or control style play but you can fit most into any type of deck because they are just simply that strong.

Ye, Garrosh is good, no doubt about it, i just meant "he's weakest out of nine DKs". That could change if Warr gets more use out of his hp tho - as could pretty much every single card. Raza had in place at Reno Priest - He was good, but deck was shit tier. When Reno rotated, noone thought he'd be seen in standard again. And then...

Last edited:

J1M

Arcane
It doesn't really matter if they are top tier. There is still the perception to the average player that if they lose to an extremely rare card (no matter how few tournaments it wins) that the game is fundamentally luck-based and that hurts player retention.

v1rus

Arcane
None of the DKs besides Anduin are being played in top tier decks tho

Huh? Are we playing the same game? Malfurion is played in every druid deck, and Jade, Razakus and Tempo Rogue are currently TEH TOP DECKS.

If you consult Vicious Syndicate or Meta Snapshot, both control warlock (which uses Guldan) and Token Shaman (which uses Thrall) are solid Tier 1 or tier 2 according to winrate statistics - and they were in abundance during HCT Summer Championship. Judging by how pros bring 4 decks to a tournament, you can argue both of those fall under top deck definition. But, thats not all - Ctrl Mage (which uses Jaina), Mid-hunter (which uses Rexxar) and Miracle Rogue (which uses Valeera) are Tier 3 (miracle being t3 on ms and t4 on vs), and, you guessed it, they also saw play on HCT (or rather, all except miracle - you cant bring 2 decks of the same class, and if you wanna play rogue atm, you play tempo rogue). Even fucking Garrosh and Uther saw play, and they are currently teh worst - or rather, they have the weakest decks (Tier 4), even tho, individually, they are quite powerful cards.

All of DKs are powerful cards, individually. Its just matter of the meta - some decks are largely unfavored in current setup, or miss key cards - if Blizzard pops out couple of good cards for ctrl pala, you will get Well Met by DK Uther every second game next expansion. Raza is an excellent example - he saw some tiny-weeny amount of play in fringe decks during MsoG (noone ever bought him to a tournament afaik) and he completely disappeared during Ungoro. Not a single competitive deck ran him, literally. Then, Blizzard prints one card, ONE CARD, and what do you know, he's the top dog, showing up everywhere.

Then, if you want to see what "garbage tier" legendary truly means, compare DKs to Last Kaledisaour, Jungle Giants, that murloc shit, or god forbid, Lakkari Sacrifice. None of those, EVER, belonged in a competitive deck (tier 1 to 4) and they certainly havent seen any tournament play. Those cards were literally never played. And I'm only talking about quests here, there is ton more legs that wont see any play, ever, (say, Huhuran, Chogall, Boogeymonster etc.) since they are just terrible, and there are already cheaper cards that do the same shit (that hunter minion, bloodbloom, Gruul (lelelel, i'm using Grull as an example of a stronger card, lelell)), and even they arent played, either. Being in a competitive deck (tier 1-4) in the first place means the card is good and has potential - and not being in any of those doesnt mean it doesnt.

tl;dr
All DKs are awesome, and you are probably going to see 'em all, a lot, until they rotate. Also, unlike quests, they are single cards, and as such they dont require building a deck around 'em (or rather, bringing a package) which makes them insanely practical.

Sure, Anduin and Malfurion (and Guldan/Thrall) were most numerous during KotF. Next expansion tho, you might be meeting Valeeras and Rexxars every second game, and so on. I, myself, have got 7/9, missing Guldan and Jaina - but ill be crafting them as soon as i get top dogs of the next expansion.

And quest mage is tier 3 - tier 4, at best. No plays at HCT, the very bottom of t3 according to MS and Tier 4 according to VS.

power-rankings.png

Last edited:

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
None of the DKs besides Anduin are being played in top tier decks tho

Huh? Are we playing the same game? Malfurion is played in every druid deck, and Jade, Razakus and Tempo Rogue are currently TEH TOP DECKS.

If you consult Vicious Syndicate or Meta Snapshot, both control warlock (which uses Guldan) and Token Shaman (which uses Thrall) are solid Tier 1 or tier 2 according to winrate statistics - and they were in abundance during HCT Summer Championship. Judging by how pros bring 4 decks to a tournament, you can argue both of those fall under top deck definition. But, thats not all - Ctrl Mage (which uses Jaina), Mid-hunter (which uses Rexxar) and Miracle Rogue (which uses Valeera) are Tier 3 (miracle being t3 on ms and t4 on vs), and, you guessed it, they also saw play on HCT (or rather, all except miracle - you cant bring 2 decks of the same class, and if you wanna play rogue atm, you play tempo rogue). Even fucking Garrosh and Uther saw play, and they are currently teh worst - or rather, they have the weakest decks (Tier 4), even tho, individually, they are quite powerful cards.

All of DKs are powerful cards, individually. Its just matter of the meta - some decks are largely unfavored in current setup, or miss key cards - if Blizzard pops out couple of good cards for ctrl pala, you will get Well Met by DK Uther every second game next expansion. Raza is an excellent example - he saw some tiny-weeny amount of play in fringe decks during MsoG (noone ever bought him to a tournament afaik) and he completely disappeared during Ungoro. Not a single competitive deck ran him, literally. Then, Blizzard prints one card, ONE CARD, and what do you know, he's the top dog, showing up everywhere.

Then, if you want to see what "garbage tier" legendary truly means, compare DKs to Last Kaledisaour, Jungle Giants, that murloc shit, or god forbid, Lakkari Sacrifice. None of those, EVER, belonged in a competitive deck (tier 1 to 4) and they certainly havent seen any tournament play. Those cards were literally never played. And I'm only talking about quests here, there is ton more legs that wont see any play, ever, (say, Huhuran, Chogall, Boogeymonster etc.) since they are just terrible, and there are already cheaper cards that do the same shit (that hunter minion, bloodbloom, Gruul (lelelel, i'm using Grull as an example of a stronger card, lelell)), and even they arent played, either. Being in a competitive deck (tier 1-4) in the first place means the card is good and has potential - and not being in any of those doesnt mean it doesnt.

tl;dr
All DKs are awesome, and you are probably going to see 'em all, a lot, until they rotate. Also, unlike quests, they are single cards, and as such they dont require building a deck around 'em (or rather, bringing a package) which makes them insanely practical.

Sure, Anduin and Malfurion (and Guldan/Thrall) were most numerous during KotF. Next expansion tho, you might be meeting Valeeras and Rexxars every second game, and so on. I, myself, have got 7/9, missing Guldan and Jaina - but ill be crafting them as soon as i get top dogs of the next expansion.

And quest mage is tier 3 - tier 4, at best. No plays at HCT, the very bottom of t3 according to MS and Tier 4 according to VS.

power-rankings.png

OK fine, Malfurion, Guldan and Anduid then. But besides that, nobody uses them on ladder in low ranks. 3 death knights out of the rest is hardly alot.

Control warlock and token shaman are not tier 1 or 2. The meta revolves around morons netdecking 2-3 decks, and those are big priest, raduin, jade and of course the worst cancer, tempo rogue.

I myself play handbuff pally cos its fun and not broken OP like anduin priest is

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom