Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Hearts of Iron IV - The Ultimate WWII Strategy Game

Thane Solus

Arcane
Public Company and Sweden today, all you need to know about Paradox. They had good start years back, now they are going down hill just like their country. Alas they finally learned how to make UI's ... oh well:)))

HOI IV surprisingly i still play it from time to time. Its a pop a mole strategy which usually i hate, but maybe its the theme, i dont know. Its still alpha tho... so it reminds me fast why i regret buying it sometimes.

Stellaris - beside events and some content on highend (the advanced races, the stations), the rest is meh, a polished turd, but still better than Endless Farts 1 and 2. Myself, I prefer Distant Worlds with all the flaws.

They had a promising future, but once they turned into a public company and Sweden become SJW capital of the world... Bingo!

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
Paradox have no competition.
i still dream about time, where Paradox and Creative Assembly will have a competition and stop sitting on their asses, vomiting blood DLC, minimap DLC.
Until then, we are doomed to this corrupted cycle of despair.

Dakka

Savant
Paradox have no competition.
i still dream about time, where Paradox and Creative Assembly will have a competition and stop sitting on their asses, vomiting blood DLC, minimap DLC.
Until then, we are doomed to this corrupted cycle of despair.
I think what we need is a new competitor on the grand strategy scene. That could really breathe some life into this stagnant genre. Neither of those companies is likely to get their heads out of their asses any time soon, not without a serious upset at least.

Anthedon

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
There's the Ageod games, but they lean more towards the wargaming side of things. And Gary Grigsby's War in the East/West for WWII. But those aren't really Grand Strategy in the Paradox sense.

It's surprising that a competitor hasn't emerged (yet). There's clearly a market for these kinds of games. Surely there are some history nerds with coding skills out there somewhere.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
The problem is the engine and the source. Most moders and people could just make a whole different game like the warhammer mod for CK2. But they won't be able to sell it and make money from it. To make competitive game you would need to make it from scratch in new engine and graphic design etc etc.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Only thing that was kind of a bummer is that there's no separate peace in Africa is Mittelafrika is independent and has conquered X stuff, even if it's perfectly feasible to defend against naval invasion.

Also just to prepare you guys, the Mittelafrica sovereignist path's rebellions are INSANE, you need to prepare well in advance (like, station dudes in Zanzibar because they get a battlecruiser) if you intend to DIY.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
Today's dd will be about reworking a focus tree it seems and according to teasers this guy will feature
1PdKSzh.png

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
DD: kaiserreich
Hello everyone, and welcome to a new dev diary for the 1.5 “Cornflakes” update and the as-yet unannounced accompanying DLC.

For those of you who missed my introduction, I’ll briefly introduce myself. My name is Drikus and, after working briefly on DOD to help out the Content Designers on HOI4 back then, I re-joined the team in the summer to work on the next expansion, working with @Archangel85 and @Havebeard on all that CD goodness. Today I’ll be talking about some of the stuff we’ve been busy with since then.

Ever since release it’s become clear that the fanbase's interest in alternate history is far greater than we anticipated. Unfortunately, many of our focus trees for major powers are somewhat lacking in that regard, and it's something we want to change. So, while we will naturally be adding some new focus trees, this time around we will also be revamping two major nations. If this proves popular we plan to keep doing this in future expansions and eventually have all the majors with more options. For now, though, we figured a good start would be the most popular nation in HOI4: Germany!

In the next DLC, Germany will have its focus tree updated to bring it more in line with the new trees of minor nations, especially in terms of alternate history options. Furthermore, even players who do not buy the DLC will see some of these changes. For instance, we made some effort to flesh out the industrial part of the German tree. Initially only being a quick path of 4 focuses, it has now been expanded into a full 16-focus monstrosity, with paths leading into more fortification focuses, more domestic industrial focuses, and more focuses dealing with the ‘economic vassalization’ of Hungary and Romania and other areas of Europe. As a bonus, the 5th research slot is now accessible somewhat earlier, and no longer requires Air Innovations II. These changes do affect industrial balance somewhat, and we will go into how we handle that at the very end of the diary.

index.php

All of the abovementioned will be free in the 1.5 “Cornflakes” update. What comes next, however, will be part of the DLC.

Use the full tree at the end of this dev diary to follow along. :)

Alternate history paths for Germany beg the question of when and how Hitler could have been stopped. These questions are very controversial, and there usually isn’t much consensus. We, however, have elected to explore the possibility of a concerted Wehrmacht opposition to Hitler, sparked by the Rhineland remilitarization.

index.php

A new path has been added, mutually exclusive with the Rhineland focus. It sparks a civil war led by the legendary August von Mackensen. Once won, the path splits, allowing the player to choose between reviving the old Kaiserreich (renaming the country to “German Empire”) and lifting Kaiser Wilhelm II’s exile in the Netherlands, or reinstating democratic elections and establishing a constitutional monarchy as a ‘compromise’ for the rather royalist (and powerful) Wehrmacht officers. In this path, Wilhelm II’s son will take the throne as Wilhelm III as a figurehead. In addition, there is a small 4-focus shared path focusing on the rebuilding of Germany after the Civil War, leading up to the German continental role as a “Bulwark against Bolshevism”.

index.php

Who wouldn’t want this guy leading their country?

In the Imperial branch, the player now gets the choice of either avenging the Great War, or letting bygones be bygones and focusing on the Communist threat. The former leads to Germany once again asserting its right of a ‘place in the sun’ (bullying China or Japan for the return of Tsingtao), focusing heavily on rebuilding its High Seas Fleet to challenge Britain (including some nice bonuses to battleship production and research), and then taking the fight to the British and French for their colonies. To this end, a new very powerful late-game focus has been added that will flip a significant amount of the country’s military production to naval production, in case the Soviet Union has been defeated and the player wishes to focus on the West (also available to fascists, if the player owns the DLC). The branch also enables the recreation of the Central powers via stimulating imperial sentiment in the Austro-Hungarian successor states and the assassination of Mussolini in favor of King Victor Emmanuel III.

index.php

Can never have enough Pickelhaube...

The second Imperial path focuses on forgiving the British and giving up all dreams of an Imperial Navy. In return for accepting British naval supremacy, it is possible to form an alliance with them and stand together against the threat of Communism all over Europe. A punitive war with (Communist) France over Alsace-Lorraine can lead to an expulsion of the republicans from Iberia, as well as eventually taking the war directly to the Soviets, themselves. I minor shared branch, available for both the British alliance and the colonial route, allows for Germany to protect its eastern borders, retaking Memel, trading Danzig for military guarantees against the Soviets, and aiding the Baltics and the Finns with guarantees and some military support.

index.php

Can you taste that sweet Tsingtao beer? Ahhh, come to fatherland...

The Democratic path involves some sneaky diplomatic maneuvering, scaring the other nations in Europe into your sphere of influence by speaking up strongly against the Soviets and demonizing them. This leads to creating a Central European Alliance, in which most minor nations in Europe can be invited through various focuses, allowing for democratic Germany to challenge the historic French continental leadership role by creating its own power block. This course of action will likely result in the Soviet Union posturing threateningly, though, and gaining various bonuses to prepare them against what they perceive to be a threat to their sphere of influence. The end result of this mutual and intentional escalation is likely that it will not be possible to invite all nations you could potentially invite before the Soviets invade them. Eventually, Germany can take the fight to the Soviets, leading Europe in a war against the source of communism. In addition, it is possible for Democratic Germany to get a 6th research slot, and to strengthen their alliance through tech sharing and other cooperation.

index.php

Unleash the Swarm!

In addition, we have adjusted focuses like “Operation Weserübung” to give the player better control over the timetable of their invasions once the ball starts rolling. We’ve slightly buffed the naval parts of the core tree, adding an additional naval build-up focus or two, and adding some dockyards to Plan Z. In light of the significant improvements to Germany’s economic build-up in the new industrial tree, we are also revisiting the start-of-game balance of the nation. The intention is to make Germany initially weaker, but also quicker in building up, especially before any war has broken out. To that end, we have added a new idea upon startup. MEFO Bills will reduce the consumer goods by 20% (resulting in virtually no consumer good requirements at all), but have to be extended every three months. The price of extending these will progressively increase, as will the penalty that must be paid if these are not extended. Paying off these bills can be delayed by going to war, in which case the payment will be deferred until after the war’s conclusion (so be sure you can afford it by that point!). And finally, just as with the industrial segment of the tree, everything that was mentioned in this paragraph will be available without owning the DLC.

index.php

And finally, in its full glory:

index.php

Dakka

Savant
The new changes look interesting. It looks like the Kaiserreich team is indirectly teaching Paradox how to develop HoI4 properly. If they are at all interested in making HoI4 a great game, they'll listen up and listen well. Oh, and better AI would be nice.

yeye

Augur
This is a good change but 2 majors per expansion? Not looking forward to waiting two expansions for a new Japan tree.

Now you not only get to pay for focus tree DLC for each country, you also get to pay for additional focus tree DLC for each country!

Meanwhile it's almost a year and a half after release and there is still no China focus tree.

Whisky

The Solution
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
Only thing that was kind of a bummer is that there's no separate peace in Africa is Mittelafrika is independent and has conquered X stuff, even if it's perfectly feasible to defend against naval invasion.

Also just to prepare you guys, the Mittelafrica sovereignist path's rebellions are INSANE, you need to prepare well in advance (like, station dudes in Zanzibar because they get a battlecruiser) if you intend to DIY.

I assume the Sovreignist path is what caused Mittelafrica to split up into about 25 states in one of my games? Because I was playing Canada and I looked over at Africa and saw nothing but Mittelafrica, but then next year I looked over and saw about 25 sovereign nations.

Vaarna_Aarne

I assume the Sovreignist path is what caused Mittelafrica to split up into about 25 states in one of my games? Because I was playing Canada and I looked over at Africa and saw nothing but Mittelafrica, but then next year I looked over and saw about 25 sovereign nations.
Yep, you also get Kenya starting the Mau Mau revolts later on, but that's not linked to any specific focus path I think.

The IIRC third Sovereignist focus for Mittelafrika gives them cores on about extra 40% of their territory (they only have cores on around 30% to start with), but it will also cause everyone outside of most of the original core regions (read: Tanganyika, Togo, and Namibia, the historical German colonies) rebel. Mittelafrika will also disintegrate if their political power total drops below IIRC -300, give or take a couple of months. This is very likely happen since the AI can't savescum past the random chance doorstopper at the start of the Sovereignist path, which is Göring's Resist Arrest where you either have no consequences (30% chance) or you go to -1000 political power (70% chance), which the country is never getting out of even if you'd mod them to have Strengthen bonuses and play on Recruit. The collapse event also ties in with the rebellions in that for every month or two or so a rebel is still around they trigger a -50 political power event. Should Mittelafrika collapse, I think Germany will retain only either Tanganyika, Togo, or Namibia (Sudwestafrika) if even that, or all three of those, rest of Mittelafrika is afterwards independent.

The hardest part of the rebellions is the aforementioned battlecruiser that Zanzibar gets, because you can only naval invade Zanzibar if you didn't garrison enough dudes there beforehand to beat the autospawned rebel divisions. If you didn't do that, your only chance would be to rely on Germany to take care of Zanzibar but where's the fun in that? But gist there is that Mittelafrika is simply never going to field a real navy, not enough building slots around even if you could undergo a major build-up of industry (you have barely existing factory base; the one thing you'll be building is rifles since leg infantry is all you can afford; though Africa does have a benefit there in that almost entirety of the continent holds massive terrain advantage to leg infantry).

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
The new changes look interesting. It looks like the Kaiserreich team is indirectly teaching Paradox how to develop HoI4 properly. If they are at all interested in making HoI4 a great game, they'll listen up and listen well. Oh, and better AI would be nice.
As much as you try,you can't teach an idiot that doesn't want to learn. Paradox are bunch of talentless hacks.

Dakka

Savant
As much as you try,you can't teach an idiot that doesn't want to learn. Paradox are bunch of talentless hacks.
I wouldn't go that far. I think it's more a case of them being complacent because of the lack of competition. They do seem capable of learning at least, judging by this new update. At least it's not Creative Assembly.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I wouldn't go that far. I think it's more a case of them being complacent because of the lack of competition. They do seem capable of learning at least, judging by this new update. At least it's not Creative Assembly.
Nah they are pretty creatively bankrupted. They are just remaking the same game,that wasn't invented by them. Also their programmers are shit tier. Using a single CPU engine on a CPU heavy game in 2017 is retarded. I am not a hardware fag,but being able to play a third of a game on i7 quad 3.33 ghz is ridiculous. Those swedish faggots should go and fuck themself with a shotgun.

Dakka

Savant
Nah they are pretty creatively bankrupted. They are just remaking the same game,that wasn't invented by them. Also their programmers are shit tier. Using a single CPU engine on a CPU heavy game in 2017 is retarded. I am not a hardware fag,but being able to play a third of a game on i7 quad 3.33 ghz is ridiculous. Those swedish faggots should go and fuck themself with a shotgun.
Ow, the edge.

Vaarna_Aarne

Btw, first progress report for 6.0 is up (Progress Report 31), detailing the rework in progress for Italian peninsula. Which is to say, they're adding another Mexican stand-off, which is great.

Italy is now going to be split in the North between Italian Republic in Venice and surroundings (recognized as legitimate government of Italy by Austria); across the Po river from it is our old pal Syndicalist Republic of Italy, with its capital in Torino and territories extending to Tuscany and Romagna; Rome is home to the Papal State OPM which is nominally a protectorate of the Kingdom of Two Sicilies that controls their old territory. The house of Savoy rules Sardinia and hosts royalist exiles there (similar thing is going on with Papal State based on the report). Balkanization options is also available after annexing the peninsula, which will contain tags for Lombardia, Tuscany, Modena, and Venice.

Later progress report will apparently detail what sounds like to be the major feature of 6.0, expanding the American Civil War (refiring sounds like it can now end up with more stabilized fronts than just PSA, or maybe it can start anew entirely).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom