Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Hearts of Iron IV - The Ultimate WWII Strategy Game

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
HoI IV is 60% off right now at ParadoxPlaza, but not on Steam. Which sucks, because the Paradox store doesn't work and just throws error messages if I try to buy anything from there.
:outrage:

edit: got it to work by making a new account on paradox. They send you a steam key which is great because then you can just download it from there and ignore their paradox software thing.

EDIT 2: Played first game as Greece, annexed Bulgaria before WW2 broke out. Would crush the Bulgar again.

Last edited:

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Pray tell, a year and a half since release, is this game any less shit by now?

I see them boasting in their dev diaries that they are adding in paid DLCs features with which the base HoI 2 shipped? Wtf?

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

I see them boasting in their dev diaries that they are adding in paid DLCs features with which the base HoI 2 shipped? Wtf?

I didn't play it until a couple of days ago, but I find it enjoyable. I don't think it's as good as HoI 2, but it's hard to say because a lot of things are just different. I preferred HoI 2's way of handling combat and moving units around the map, but in every other respect I think I prefer HoI 4. I also like a lot of the changes HoI 4 has made in terms of research, industry and production, and I like the way national focus and diplomacy has a more rapid and clear effect on the world.

I played as Greece and was able to turn fascist, smash the Bulgars, liberate part of Yugoslavia, and form the Hellenic League faction. For some reason Finland requested permission to join, so I let them in, too. Shortly after that, the Axis rolled me back to the Greek border, but I granted the Allies military access and they came in and stabilised the situation. From there I pushed the Axis back out of most of Bulgaria and I smashed the Italians in Albania. Denmark(??) apparently made a successful landing in whatever modern region occupies the northern parts of Illyria. I want to develop nuclear weapons and destroy Istanbul/Constantinople so it can be rebuilt as Byzantium but that plan is on the back burner for now.

I played HoI 3 on release and it was a steaming lump of shit. Everyone involved in its creation should have committed ritual suicide to atone for releasing that abomination.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

Only if you play mods. The game is pretty tedious and broken by design.

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
So, it's the same ahistorical turd, if not worse.

I liked HoI 2 very much, until my search for accurate behavior of the big players brought me to Darkest Hour. My games in vanilla HoI 2 were usually exercises in a Soviet first strike and then seeing how far I can go. Once in control of the Eastern front, it mattered little for the final outcome how correctly the other major players would behave.

In DH I mostly play as the US, sticking as much to its historical path as possible, but then the German-Soviet front usually fails me. Last time I played, I intentionally took the latest possible scenario, the Battle of the Bulge, so that the AI doesn't have much ability to mess things up.

HoI 3 I refused to play, for the same reason as EUIII, the engine was at the same time slower, uglier, and more demanding on my CPU.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

I didn't play it until a couple of days ago, but I find it enjoyable. I don't think it's as good as HoI 2, but it's hard to say because a lot of things are just different. I preferred HoI 2's way of handling combat and moving units around the map, but in every other respect I think I prefer HoI 4. I also like a lot of the changes HoI 4 has made in terms of research, industry and production, and I like the way national focus and diplomacy has a more rapid and clear effect on the world.

I played as Greece and was able to turn fascist, smash the Bulgars, liberate part of Yugoslavia, and form the Hellenic League faction. For some reason Finland requested permission to join, so I let them in, too. Shortly after that, the Axis rolled me back to the Greek border, but I granted the Allies military access and they came in and stabilised the situation. From there I pushed the Axis back out of most of Bulgaria and I smashed the Italians in Albania. Denmark(??) apparently made a successful landing in whatever modern region occupies the northern parts of Illyria. I want to develop nuclear weapons and destroy Istanbul/Constantinople so it can be rebuilt as Byzantium but that plan is on the back burner for now.

I played HoI 3 on release and it was a steaming lump of shit. Everyone involved in its creation should have committed ritual suicide to atone for releasing that abomination.
As a true Bulgar,i do enjoy putting the Greeks in their place. :lol:

Jokes aside,it shame that both countries don't have much interesting thinks to do. Restoring the Great Bulgarian empire or Byzantine empire.

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer

I liked HoI 2 very much, until my search for accurate behavior of the big players brought me to Darkest Hour. My games in vanilla HoI 2 were usually exercises in a Soviet first strike and then seeing how far I can go. Once in control of the Eastern front, it mattered little for the final outcome how correctly the other major players would behave.

In DH I mostly play as the US, sticking as much to its historical path as possible, but then the German-Soviet front usually fails me. Last time I played, I intentionally took the latest possible scenario, the Battle of the Bulge, so that the AI doesn't have much ability to mess things up.

HoI 3 I refused to play, for the same reason as EUIII, the engine was at the same time slower, uglier, and more demanding on my CPU.

HoI 4 is what the 20th century deserves. It's joke tier history, accuracy is not really that much of a virtue, the only correct way to play is to try your best to recreate the ancient world.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

Yeah i still remember the first time loaded the game. Sat down and chose Bulgaria,my ambitions were to conquer at most the Balkans and eradicate the kebab. Four five years later i finished the game conquering the world except few American nations. It is really shitty.

AwesomeButton

Patron
Bulgaria could have had an interesting alternate history event chain, if operation Sea Lion had been carried out and the Allies would land in Greece, instead of France, cutting off as much of Eastern Europe from Stalin's reach as they could. From what I've read, very superficially, that was the strategy Churchill was pushing for. He had a sweet spot for the Balkans, I guess, ever since WWI ;)

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Bulgaria could have had an interesting alternate history event chain, if operation Sea Lion had been carried out and the Allies would land in Greece, instead of France, cutting off as much of Eastern Europe from Stalin's reach as they could. From what I've read, very superficially, that was the strategy Churchill was pushing for. He had a sweet spot for the Balkans, I guess, ever since WWI ;)
From what i read he hated us more or less. Must have been a butthurt for Doiran. Even at the end of ww2 he wanted to divide us and didn't agree to have us as ally against the nezi. Thank god for Stallin and his help at the peace table,still a communist fucker but without him we would have begun ww3 for sure. A lot of shit could have been done both with Greece and Bulgaria,shame that the stupid Sweeds don't study ww2 because it is too offensive.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
HoI IV sounds like just the game for you, doesn't it.
Uhh why?
Because HoI4 makes it way too easy to succeed as a minor nation, I'm guessing.

"minor" is in the eye of the beholder
Luxembourg should not be capable of world conquest.

Some would say the same about Sparta. Yet, where there's a will there's a way. Luxembourg people may be of inferior stock and given to modern financial and academic degeneracy, I have no personal experience with them, but in the realm of video games they could develop technology secretly and then nuke Berlin. Totally legit, not dodgy at all.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Uhh why?

Some would say the same about Sparta. Yet, where there's a will there's a way. Luxembourg people may be of inferior stock and given to modern financial and academic degeneracy, I have no personal experience with them, but in the realm of video games they could develop technology secretly and then nuke Berlin. Totally legit, not dodgy at all.
Soo less than 300,000 including children,women and old people can conquer the world....during the ww2..... ok.

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Uhh why?

Soo less than 300,000 including children,women and old people can conquer the world....during the ww2..... ok.

If they developed some vaguely plausible way to vapourise other people? Yes.

Metaphysics indicates that there is form and matter. The hylomorphic substances are temporal and inferior. If the Luxembourg people can be led by a human to re-organise the world in honour of the highest forms then all the better. That is an honourable and morally good gaming goal. All games must honour our ancestors, be true to metaphysics, and reward the player for a supremely moral mindset. Gaming is the casual past-time of Platonists who appreciate the teachings of the Dioscouroi, Plato and Aristotle.

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
I am more of a Stoicist and a bit of Romanticist.

That is good, all appreciate the service of a Stoic. The Stoics are derivative of Aristotle and therefore in large part follow the theological teachings of the Dioscouroi. If you are saying we should not cling tightly to the fate of nations, then point taken, the greater practical picture is out of our control. However, games are just an exercise of our goodness and a way of exploring and expressing our will. On a higher level, they are a form of worship and give honour to our ancestors.

Alexios

Augur
Patron

Yes, they're adding decisions into the game which have been in HOI games for well over a decade. Interesting that while people are up in arms over loot crates in Battlefront Paradox are getting away with murder by selling games that never end up being finished for over $200 and masking it as "expansions."

AwesomeButton

Patron

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Uhh why?

Because his simplistic views and lack of factual knowledge and analytical abilities fit HoIIV's target audience.
I curious how did managed to measure my knowledge and analytical abilities. If you are trying to insult me....well try harder, i am insulted only by my peers and not by people beneath me.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom