Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Helherron - a very addictive Nahlakh-like game

Gunnar

Arbiter
A few more questions:

Is there a point to the bee hive? There is no way that place is that small, but I couldn't find a single secret entrance no matter how long I've searched.
How much of the loot is randomized?
Bleeding seems to drain a certain amount of hitpoints each turn, more if it's serious. But what exactly does poison do? Does it kill outright after a certain number of turns passes?

I haven't found any secret at the beehive either, I agree though it is a strange area that seems like there should be more to it.

Not sure about the loot. The answer is "some", with most of the big ticket items hand placed.

Poison will do damage until it has run its course, even outside of battle. This is usually enough to kill the afflicted character, I would advise keeping some pots/scrolls/wands/herbs on hand to cure poison. Weaken poison is usually not that effective.

akuukka

Educated
Uncle Skull, thanks for catching the game breaking spoiler!

Release Candidate 2 can be downloaded now. It fixes that issue + many others.

akuukka

Educated
Just 1 quick suggestion: change the title screen background picture in the next version, if you can.

I would consider changing the title screen background if somebody comes up with a better alternative. The old pre-2.04 background with its 256 color palette is not an option though.

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Yo~
When the next release coming?
wait, it's out.

But, it has some weird bugs:

1. My main char's sprite keeps going semi-transparent. It gets fixed if I re-choose his picture, but whenever I go into the inventory screen and come out, it turns semi-transparent again.

2. Wherever I walk around in the game world, it's constantly in "night" visibilty. Very short viewing range. Even if it's day time.

Last edited:

akuukka

Educated
Yo~
When the next release coming?
wait, it's out.

But, it has some weird bugs:

1. My main char's sprite keeps going semi-transparent. It gets fixed if I re-choose his picture, but whenever I go into the inventory screen and come out, it turns semi-transparent again.

2. Wherever I walk around in the game world, it's constantly in "night" visibilty. Very short viewing range. Even if it's day time.

#1 will be fixed in the next version.

#2 affects only levels that were discovered in an earlier version of Helherron and then re-entered in the newest version. New parties and levels you enter for the first time are not affected.

mercyRPG

Cipher
Encountered the same bug of forever night lighting, but on creating a new party it has been fixed. Since the game is changing fast, I plan to start a new party as soon as the new combat mechanics reaches a level that Antti - the developer - is satisfied with.

ShaggyMoose

Savant
Apparently I downloaded Helherron in 2006 and never got around to playing it. Awesome that the developer is still working on it. If I ever get the Nahlakh itch again, I will give this a go instead.

akuukka

Educated
Yo akuukka . When's the next patch coming that fixes these things? :)

Very soon actually.

The new version uses OpenGL for rendering, so I've had to rewrite most of the graphics code. That means that very likely the new version is again plagued by new bugs, so I will probably first put out a Release Candidate for those who want to experiment with the new version early.

Having hardware rendering means that the mobile versions are one important step closer to becoming reality.

akuukka

Educated
Alright, there you go! Experimental builds available at helherron.co.nf. Please report any bugs!!!

Also note that from now on, Helherron requires an OpenGL 3.3 compatible graphics drivers. If you are playing with an ancient computer, please try to upgrade to as new drivers as possible (I've been running Helherron succesfully on a 2009 Acer Aspire with ancient Nvidia Ion graphics chip). You can choose 60 or 30 as your desired target Frames Per Second in the Game options menu. Particle effects look nicer at 60 FPS, but 30 might suit you better if you have a very slow computer or want to save energy (that being said, even my crappy 2009 Acer runs Helherron fine @60FPS).

akuukka

Educated
Question to everyone playing Helherron: what kind of spell would you like to have added to the game?

akuukka

Educated
Hmm, I've been thinking about a skill which you gives you a chance to attack twice per turn (with a theoretical maximum of 4 attacks per turn if using two weapon combat). The higher the skill, the higher your probability to hit twice. It would be always two attacks against the same target, because you most of the time have just 1 movement point anyway while doing melee combat.

Anyone have suggestions for the name of this skill?

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Hmm, I've been thinking about a skill which you gives you a chance to attack twice per turn (with a theoretical maximum of 4 attacks per turn if using two weapon combat). The higher the skill, the higher your probability to hit twice. It would be always two attacks against the same target, because you most of the time have just 1 movement point anyway while doing melee combat.

Double hit.
But- what if you're surrounded by enemies? For melee fighters it's quite a common occurence. No reason to disallow attacking 2 seperate dudes adjacent to you when the skill triggers successfuly, imho.

akuukka

Educated

Double hit.
But- what if you're surrounded by enemies? For melee fighters it's quite a common occurence. No reason to disallow attacking 2 seperate dudes adjacent to you when the skill triggers successfuly, imho.

There is a reason. Usually you have only 1 movement point available when attacking. Attacking two different enemies with only this 1 mp would be tricky, because the first hit would consume zero movement points. But all actions are supposed to take time...

On the other hand, if the second strike always is against the same target as the first one, then there's no problem at all. 1 movement point = 1 action as always.

Jack Dandy

Arcane
So, is the problem is coding related? I mean, you DO make 2 attacks anyway. How does it matter which target they hit?

screeg

Arcane
Developer
A *LOT* of the charm of Helherron is in how it's different from other turn-based RPGs. I hope Antti doesn't go overboard trying to "modernize" it or make it more like D20, for instance by:
  • showing hit chances
  • adding feats and weapon-specific abilities for fighters
  • adding armor restrictions for spellcasters
The base gear-centric game is next-to-perfect as is.

One thing I'd really like to see is making Resurrection very expensive or inconvenient (having it only in capital city?) and allowing the player to recruit new level 1 units when someone dies.

I really dislike the sudden death That was a hit to vital organs! BS, at least when it happens to my guys. There's no way to prevent that random lucky hit and my goal is always to win battles without losing anyone.

akuukka

Educated
Don't worry screeg, I will never add any of those features :)

I know the frustration when one of your heroes dies because of the critical hit to vital organs, but I still feel it is fully compensated by the joy you feel when it happens to one of your enemies. It has saved my ass many, many times!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom