Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Hellion—cross between Space Engineers, DayZ and Star Citizen

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
No. But they have added a singleplayer mode now, which sort of negates the need for crazy module decay.

P.S. I have not played since my last post, but trust me it can be a fantastic, groundbreaking experience.

Burning Bridges

Yes that's pretty close actually. You feel lonely, very lonely.

Thought I think this game more than anything recreates the space walk scenes in 2010.

Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Singleplayer makes this sound tempting. I really have no time for online games now (beyond Spreadsheets in Space), but this was fun for the couple hours I played it. I'll definitely pick it up again once it matures a bit. Burning Bridges, please post news of the nice developments of this game in here.

Burning Bridges

Well as I said, I did not play for 2 months. They released an update and the next one is supposed to improve UI and inventory, which is sorely needed.

Singleplayer should be ok, especially as it removes the netcode problems. But tbh I would still give online a shot, you should not meet many players anyway (maybe 1 a day) but it is a nice change if someone drifts into your area.

Burning Bridges

The next update to the game will come out November 3 and the developer promises that it will introduce a story to the game.

It's going to be called "Rude Awakening" https://steamcommunity.com/games/588210/announcements/detail/3213772926288447109

Really good game but after 150 hours content is mostly used up. I would wait for the update now and hope this keeps improving.

If somebody is up for multiplayer send me a PM.

Burning Bridges

A new version 0.4 is out and is still even more buggy than 0.3

I would say practically unplayable. People with 100+ hours are getting frustrated and angry because they cannot complete the tutorial. I got very far and assembled my starter base and moved it to a new orbit, but then fate struck and I dropped out of hyperspace because the game did not give me enough hydrogen to do a simple repair. I could produce hydrogen in the refinery but it was also not working. Hours later I have fixed all necessary repairs but am now stranded in a very dangerous orbit without warp cell because they were used up in that failed attempt. This is like Das Boot when they are on the seafloor in Gibraltar, but without the happy ending.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Playing single-player at the moment.

Seems to be a fun game with some major interface issues. Can't help but think that a lot of the problems would be solved by clearer interface menus, and not having to just "know random shit" to do anything. The tutorial explanation of warp was woefully abysmal. Turned out a simple sequence of commands is required but that's not explained, you have to google that shit and guess. And it's something that boils down to: So this is the future, where's the button that does this shit automagically? Why can't the warp button just warp? Why do I need to keep a specific marker on screen, know to press esc, to then point the ship and press J? Urrrrgghhh... Best example of this is the button that calls your rescue ship over automagically, and yet there's no button that says "dock here with this thing"??

Oh and random game-killing bugs because I didn't do something in the specific order the game expects you do it in.

Burning Bridges

I try to keep a station alive over the last days and the problems go very, very deep.

Worst right now are the dissappearing items. Hellion even steals from my cargo. To be safe for emergencies I put a resource container with 100 units of oxygen on a shelf and 4 complete suits in the rackets (1 suit is basically = 1 life).

Next time I return: everything drops to the floor (infamous bug). after relog: 2 spacesuits gone. container with oxygen gone. To add insult to injury, 150 units oxygen missing from my cargo, leaving me with barely enough to fill all compartments.

On the plus side the loot has become sparse and very challenging and the game - when it works - can create some of the most intense moments. Looting from stations during constant asteroid bombardement, with debris hitting something all the time is incredible. I also need to make constant reassessments whether its worth looting one more station or return home with what I have. Usually returning is the better idea because if I already looted 2 places, I will probably die and lose everything in the 3rd.

No one should write this one off, but the developers seem to be unable to make this work. I don't know exactly what they are doing but my feeling is that they were so naive to make orbital caclulations for all items in the game (hence the nice zero gravity effects when you throw something through an airlock). then they realized the server bogs down from so many items, so they must despawn everything as soon as possible. With the result that half your stuff dissapears after 24 hours and you could barely keep a station if you play every day.

This is the sort of game that makes me want to strangle one of the programmers but I have almost 200 hours already, it's sort of addictive.

Your stories about this game remind me of the first part of The Stars My Destination.

If it reminds me of anything it is the last hours on the Kursk. It's dark, cold and you have only an hour of oxygen left, and then you die. It's not a survival game but basically "dying in space" and the best is when you depressurized your station and get spawnkilled at the crypod, trying to grab and refill your last spacesuit while suffocating at the same time. I had situations where I had 10 bodies in front of the cryopod, could no longer jump over them any more and got stuck.

Last edited:

Burning Bridges

Yes, I let my last station deliberately die, which is a very unusual thing for me to do.
I just couldn't bear it anymore to be forced to go online and change nanite cores on a monday morning, and I enjoy the spare time I have had since then :lol:

Burning Bridges

There is a new update coming today, supposedly with a lot of fixes.

One of developers promised me personally that they did "a lot of testing over the weekend" (indirectly implying that they don't usually do testing) and that it should "fix all of the issues with disappearing stations" (he also wrote that it was terribly terribly complicated which in developer speak implies that they hadn't looked earnestly into the code for a very long time .. )

I also talked with some other people and the consensus is that the game is unique enough to keep following it. You can do EVAs and manage space stations almost like in a simulation, there is nothing and will be nothing like it for a long time. just in case someone askswhy I keep playing a game that is so broken.

https://steamcommunity.com/games/588210/announcements/detail/1639783687317759101

Last edited:
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
From what little I played, I did get a feel of great potential, though I'm mostly interested in single-player mode. One thing that annoyed me a lot, is the amount of real-time it takes to get anywhere in warp. Is there some time compression method available? Or a way to speed up the ship?

Burning Bridges

What do you mean? Warp takes approximately 4-5 minutes. Maybe you are not setting the warp parameters the correct way?!? Of all the problems in the game, warp is one of the least ones. Except that one time I exited the ship during warp to make repairs (lol) and ended up stranded in space forever.

Burning Bridges

Hellion developer went belly up because of Unity was a big mistake :lol:

https://store.steampowered.com/news/?appids=588210

Hellion - end of development

Hello space survivors!

It's been a long time since the ideas of a future multiplayer space survival game were discussed among the founders of Zero Gravity and creators of Hellion. Our journey started with playing with orbs representing the planets, each carefully moved by skilled hands in a simulation of what would later become orbital mechanics in the game. From the very first moment, we wanted to make a complex and realistic simulation of a solar system within a multiplayer sandbox environment. The goal was huge and ambitious and the course set.

With a full team, it took us less than two years to make our vision into a reality. Hellion was launched in Early Access in February 2017. We succeeded in releasing a game that was almost impossible to be made, often having to cross and bend the boundaries of our game engine – Unity. The start was a little bumpy but soon enough players recognized that our game was providing a unique experience that could not be found in any other game. The support of our players has confirmed that Hellion is truly special and we are very proud of it.

We are also proud of you – our players. We couldn’t have even dreamed of creating such a dedicated and engaging community as ours is – both on Steam and on Discord. We are grateful for all the support you gave us during these years and for all wonderful adventures we went through while trying to survive Hellion’s gaze. This expedition left a mark on us for life. Together we built the world of Hellion.

Unfortunately, the cruel reality is – not enough players were brought into our world of Hellion to make it commercially viable. After the sloppy start of the game, predominately in terms of bugs and issues, we gave our best to fix the game and add new content via numerous patches and updates. Hellion grew, got better, but is still far from the original idea of what Hellion was meant to be. Factions, additional ships, trade posts, all of this was simply put aside since our team was constantly fighting technical issues, some of which were simply impossible to be solved for good.

That struggle is coming to an end. At this point, without an influx of new players, the game doesn’t pay for its development. That’s why we had to make some hard decisions…

• Zero Gravity can’t afford for further development of Hellion. There will be no new updates, bugfixes or any official changes to the game.
  • However, since the game is playable and we believe it offers a unique gameplay experience, we want to keep it going for players who want to enjoy it.
  • Hellion will leave Early Access without achieving goals we originally set out to do.
  • In order to keep the servers up, we will continue selling the game on Steam. Since the game is not fully finished, the price will be lowered to 15 USD (starting tomorrow Oct. 16).
  • Control over the official servers will be handed to Hellion’s Discord moderators.
  • Moderators will stay in touch with us for any important events that might occur.

We are absolutely aware that many of you will find these news disappointing. This is a hard time for us. We invested a huge amount of effort and work into Hellion and our hearts and minds were in this project for many years. Now, Hellion’s development is coming to an end and we are sad that our vision for the game was not fully realized.

Once again, thank you for your support, ideas, reports, content you’ve created and everything else you’ve done for this survival expedition. Thank you immensely!

Yours,
Zero Gravity Team

synopsis: only a complete moron uses Unity for a complex simulation with huge amounts of data - it is a tool to make arcade games for people who cannot program very well
which is btw what me and Knotanalt predicted in 2012. they only would have had to listen

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom