Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Hellraid - Cancelled (for now)

sbb

Learned
I like the sound of 'back to the drawing board' at least.

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
Yeah. It's unfortunate, but that way maybe even get a better Hellraid. And actually I trust in this studio. They have already proven they get things done, especially their cooperative feature. Rather looking forward to this than the next Skyrim.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Proven what? Their last few titles: Dead Island, Dead Island Riptide, and Dying Light. Have you played any of those games? They're mediocre popamole stuffed with every AAA cliche you can find.

sbb

Learned
I wouldn't say that, I think Dead Island was a relatively special game. I wouldn't say any of those games are great, though I haven't played Dying Light, but I wouldn't consider them a sign that they're inept developers.

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
Indeed, they have proven that they can deliver FPS games with melee combat mechanics, physics integration, cooperative gameplay. This was a huge problem a couple of years ago for many game engines. But they are the ones who seem to build any game ontop of a cooperative multiplayer framework, and still everything working like in a singleplayer game. I'm a sucker for coop games though. But I also agree that Dead Island itself was mediocre (I only tested it briefly though). It's just that they got the technique and they mastered the technique. I believe someday they get gameplay done as well.

For all the flak, I'd like to mention I still think Dark Messiah was superior in melee, compared to any other first person experience at the time, up to and including later games like Skyrim, and earlier games like Morrowind. None of them had the physics, much less the 'Umph!' Messiah did.
But that's not saying much. For whatever reason, devs can't get first person melee right.

When your competition is Skyrim and especially Morrowind then you know something is fucked. I can only name a couple of games that do melee better than DM, specifically: Shadow Warrior 2013, Serious Sam 3, Chivalry. But again, that shows how shitty FPM usually is, not that DM is doing something right.

This.

Also, the Zeno Clash mention deserves Brofist! :D

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom