Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Help me name my Dungeon Crawler ! :-)

What are the best names for this Dungeon Crawler ?

• Dungeon Breaker

Votes: 5 17.9%
  • Dungeon & Sortileges

Votes: 4 14.3%
  • Dungeon & Sorcery

Votes: 3 10.7%
  • The Fall of The Dungeon Guardians

Votes: 7 25.0%
  • Dungeon of The Lost Guardians

Votes: 10 35.7%
  • <I have no idea>

Votes: 4 14.3%
  • <I have a super idea and I'm going to post it down>

Votes: 10 35.7%

• Total voters

ManuTOO

Mana Games
Developer
Hello,

I'm just wondering what kind of name rings the best to your ears..?

Here some screenshots to get the mood of the game, click on them to see big size version : (it's still not final, only work in progress)

The game is greatly inspired by Dungeon Master and other dungeon crawlers of the late 80's, early 90's, but features a combat system derived from modern MMORPGs.

Thanks in advance for your feedback ! ;)

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Any details about the systems?

We're not all too fond of MMORPG mechanics here, it would be nice if you could elaborate a bit. "Inspired by 90s dungeon crawlers, has MMO combat" doesn't really tell us much, give us more info!
How do you even expect feedback when there's nothing to give feedback on? Yeah sure, the graphics look nice, but who cares about graphics in a dungeon crawler?

ManuTOO

Mana Games
Developer
JarlFrank,
the feedback I'm talking about right now is just about the name, sorry if I wasn't clear about that.

The combat system is made with abilities and is based on the triptych tank/healer/dps.

You can actually try out an early Alpha here, if you want (but with ugly art done by me, so it doesn't match the quality of the screenshots above, which are current WIP ) : http://www.managames.com/download.php?DungeonBreaker_rcx.rar
It features a test level that offers between 30 minutes to 1 hour of gameplay. (known bugs: mana potions don't work ; Cooldowns are slightly messed up and thus are confusing)

nomask7

Arcane
Would have to know something about the story to suggest a name. IMO, names that have nothing to do with the story may be good as trademarks but they're kind of lame for a single stand-alone game.

ManuTOO

Mana Games
Developer
nomask7,
you're right!

So here a bit of background about the story :
Basically : you're a new guard or staff recruit in a dungeon prison ; the 1st night you're there some bad & mysterious stuff happens, and when you woke up all the prisoners escaped. The warden is scared & hurry to runaway so he appoints you to get back the escaped prisoners and let you pick 3 other prison personals to help you for that while he's leaving through the dungeon lift with the remaining staff.
So you'll have to get the prisoners back & discover why they could have escaped in the 1st place.
In that story, "Dungeon Guardians" can both refer to your party or to the escaped prisoners who will now be guarding the dungeon (they'll be bosses to kill, their mind having been corrupted by an ancestor "Dungeon Guardian").

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

KamelĂĄsĂĄ!
Patron
Grimoire: Heralds of the winged exemplar :smug:

Or maybe Legend of Grimoirerock

Gozma

Arcane
Plucky Indie That Agrees With Your Worldview That Everyone Wishes To Succeed To The Tune Of $15 On Steam

nomask7

Arcane
OK, so a dark force has turned the prisoners into mind control slaves to create a dungeon of darkness for its unseen but ultimately, perhaps, good purposes because it will be defeated at the end, right?

It's clever and new. Maybe the dark force is itself subtly influenced by a greater good force? If it had remained in the dark, working more subtly, it wouldn't have been defeated. Maybe it won't be defeated though, in your game. It should be, shouldn't it?

How about Dungeon of Apparent Darkness? It's funny, campy, but also appropriate in clear philosophical language.

The downside is if more than one game uses this twist, it will be seen as more cliche than a simple Hero Saves World From Evil (By Grinding Like There's No Tomorrow).

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Skulls and Boners

Big trouble in little Grimrockland.

Curse of the azure Dongs

Undead kaze no ShĹŤjo - A Visual Novel

Dance the dance of the Mighty Skeletor.

3.gif

Weasel
Basically : you're a new guard or staff recruit in a dungeon prison ; the 1st night you're there some bad & mysterious stuff happens, and when you woke up all the prisoners escaped. The warden is scared & hurry to runaway so he appoints you to get back the escaped prisoners and let you pick 3 other prison personals to help you for that while he's leaving through the dungeon lift with the remaining staff.

Prisoner of Lice
The Longshank Redemption
Dr Blobberlove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Cooldown

ManuTOO

Mana Games
Developer
Everybody,
Thanks for all the answers, though I can't suppress my feelings that some of them were not 100% serious... ;)

nomask7,
I think "Apparent" lacks of ambivalence and mystery, but the general idea is good. I did a quick search on Google for "Dungeon of Darkness" and unfortunately that name is already used several times, so even with a better middle adjective, it might not be too good in term of marketing.
It's funny because you actually kinda guessed my intent : although right now I'm not sure exactly how it'll translate in the game in term of story narrative, killing the ancestor Dungeon Guardian (it'll be the final boss, and I'd like him to look like my current avatar, ie: the final boss of Dungeon Master) will actually free his soul from being trapped in the Dungeon.

Dorateen,
it's party based, but not turn based ; instead there's an active pause, which might feel not too far of a turn based game : you can press space any time to pause the game, then you can check everything and enqueue the abilities you want to use, then press space ahain to unpause the game, and so on.
Does it sound ok for you ?

Mortmal

Arcane
Just tried the demo, its not bad at all, i hope theres full party creation in the final game and enemies a bit less static although.

As for name : Stones & Skeletons

ManuTOO

Mana Games
Developer
Just to clear things up : it won't have only skeletons in the game ! :P
Just they'll have a bunch of them in the first 4 levels ! ;) (about 25% of the game, then they'll become quite rare as we'll meet stronger & different monsters)

Mortmal,
yup, it'll have a classic party creation (selection amongst pre-done characters, or full creation mode, with choice of male/female & class & 1st talent tree specialization, and maybe race).
I'm not sure what you mean about static... In the 1st level, they're all in guard mode, so we don't have any surprise while learning the game, but in next levels, it'll have more of them in roam or patrol modes.
During the fight, usually they won't move anymore once they're in melee range, though (but in some special case, they'll flee).

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom