Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Help me name my Dungeon Crawler ! :-)

What are the best names for this Dungeon Crawler ?

• Dungeon Breaker

Votes: 5 17.9%
  • Dungeon & Sortileges

Votes: 4 14.3%
  • Dungeon & Sorcery

Votes: 3 10.7%
  • The Fall of The Dungeon Guardians

Votes: 7 25.0%
  • Dungeon of The Lost Guardians

Votes: 10 35.7%
  • <I have no idea>

Votes: 4 14.3%
  • <I have a super idea and I'm going to post it down>

Votes: 10 35.7%

• Total voters

Bloax

Novice
Forlorn Keeper.

Eddas

Learned
Buy This Or Your Mom Will Die In Seven Days. Put at steam charging one dollar, you will become a millionare in one week.

Alchemist

Arcane
Everybody,
Thanks for all the answers, though I can't suppress my feelings that some of them were not 100% serious... ;)
Heh, yeah good luck getting any kind of serious answer from the Codex.

What kind of vibe is the game going to have? I mean - will it be campy, totally serious / realistic, or somewhere in between? This helps in narrowing down a good name.

Also I suggest not using the word Dungeon in it at all. It's so overused at this point it's nearly impossible to get an interesting name out of it that doesn't sound totally generic and like a million other games. Maybe look at other terms similar to dungeon or prison - like stockade, penitentiary, bastille, or maybe some latin words. Tenebrae is a good one because it means both darkness and prison.

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
Some random suggestions:
Warden's Quest
Jail Keeper
Jailer's Duty
Dunjon Lurker
Corridor Quest
Guardian's Sepulcher
Guardian's Labyrinth
Guardian's Revenge
Guardian of the Depths

You should really think about using a proper name to make your title less generic.

ManuTOO

Mana Games
Developer
Alchemist,
my game is going to be very "video game" (or even "old school video game"), ie. quite not realistic like most dungeon crawlers : the movement is grid based, the torches last forever, the party members can't be separated, if one is unconscious he'll still '"walk" with the party, etc...
But it'll be mostly serious, it won't be a parody, as I hope to bring some kind of (slightly) oppressive atmosphere. But (bis) there will be a few humorous dialogues between party members, in the middle ground between trying to explain why things are like they are, and outlining it's an unrealistic setting.
So the name should be mostly serious, but could be slightly preposterous ; I think "The Fall of The Dungeon Guardians" somewhat matches that ; it feels kinda epic, while being a bit over the top.

The perk of using "Dungeon" is that I think it could help in case people would read only the title (ie: in a news headline, a game listing, etc...), they'd get right away a hint at the game genre. As my marketing budget will be microscopic, maybe the difference it'll make won't be negligible.

I checked all dungeon synonyms, and unfortunately, none sounds enticing like "dungeon" ; that's probably why there are very few games using them in their name (there's only "Keep" that I can recall of, like in "StoneKeep").

I like Tenebrae , probably because it's the name of a city in the Ultima series... ;)
Taken alone, it feels more like the name for a survival horror game, though. I tried "deceptive darkness" (to follow nomask7's suggestion earlier in this topic) which gave me "fallaces tenebrae", and still same feelings, it's an horror title... :)

Abelian,
"Guardian's Sepulcher" is nice, but I guess not much non-english speakers know the meaning of "Sepulcher" (I had to check a dictionary to be sure of its meaning! :P )
And finding a "proper" name is a quest by itself... ;)

Cool name

Arcane
I don't want to be that girl, the one who rains in your parade and stuffies, but I have to say, if there isn't a distinguishing feature, or system, or mythology, or theme, or story arc, or gameplay mechanic, or art style, or whatever you can name your game after, maybe you should, I don't know, leave the picking of a name for later and focus on making your game kind of unique? Because all I am getting from this thread is, like, lookie look! I am making generic dungeon crawler! And it is so generic, I can't even come with a name for it! So, like, please help me name generic dungeon crawler, which is so generic, I actually need a bunch of random people on the internet who knows absolute nothing about my game come up with names!

So, like, what about Tales of Generica?

Now, I know I am coming across as a total bitch, but I am actually trying to lend you a paw here. As in, do you really want to be remembered as that guy who made a game so bland and generic he couldn't even name it after the bad guy at the end, or the unique and cool dungeon to be crawled, or the main theme of the game, or that game mechanic which makes it stand appart, or the stylish art, or whatever it is that makes your game stand out?

So, okay, let us say, you game is about a prison warden, and bleep happens in horrible fantasy prison land, and then he has to do some shit. So, is this basically a dungeon crawler about a prison riot, only with, I don't know, dragons and warlocks and bleep? So call your bloody game, I don't know, the warden, or the riot, or something, just add random adjective or random fantasy land, like, Riot at BlahBlahBurg or some shit, and then actually make the 'prison riot on fantasy land' the theme of the game - As in, it is a dungeon crawler about a bloody warden and a bloody prison riot on a bloody fantasy prison, and not a dungeon crawler about a generic dude in a generic dungeon with generic skeletons which you wouldn't know is a prison if you weren't told in the little blurb.

Anyway, just, like, my two catnips.

Last edited:

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
"Guardian's Sepulcher" is nice, but I guess not much non-english speakers know the meaning of "Sepulcher" (I had to check a dictionary to be sure of its meaning! :P )
And finding a "proper" name is a quest by itself... ;)
I was going for a rarely used word to make the name more memorable/easy to search for, in the style of dungeon crawlers Oubliette and Grimoire.
Speaking of "Dungeon" and "Keep", there are the Dungeon Keeper strategy games.

Also, you can "ping" users by prefixing their name with the @ symbol: "@ManuToo"

ManuTOO

Mana Games
Developer
Agassi,
1- don't worry, in 1 year (or 1 month?) no one will remember this topic, it won't affect much my posterity... :P
2- naming a game is a strong marketing act, so wanting to test the names I found is natural, especially as I'm not a native English speaker & I could end up with an akward name without noticing it
3- random people can always come up with interesting ideas & comments, helping me brainstorm my game name : look your comment, that's a good example ! :)
4- most of the dungeon crawlers I can remember (Dungeon Master, Might & Magic, Land of Lore, Bloodwitch, Wizardry, Legend of Grimrock) could be accused to have a generic name not deeply in line with their content ; this is likely because this kind of game isn't story driven, thus most of time, no title imposes itself
5- so for me, the most important is to find a name that strikes the imagination and is easy to remember, while being in the same mood than the game

Abelian,
thanks for the tip ! ;)

Horror of the Slaver Halls
Into the Goblin Gold Pits
Entrance to the Unknown
Haunted Mine of the Mountain King
The Buried Treasure Vaults of the Ratkins
The Taking of Fort Tunneltomb
Tunneltomb

Unwanted

Goat Vomit

Andhaira
Andhaira
Without a proper theme for the game naming it is hard.

Under Jerusalem
Their Dangerous Journey
Below Hill Lucre
+M

Mortmal

Arcane
Yes thats what i mean by static, i expected them to move around. Of course if its just a tutorial area its fine .

set

Cipher
Just call it "Survive Patriarchy" - a name like that is controversial enough you will get instant headlines even if all your game is skeleton cleanup.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Actually, Dungeon Breaker is a great name.

... I wanted to be encouraging, but then I found that there are already 3 or 4 different things called Dungeon Breaker. So don't do that. :)

BigWeather

Augur
I was going to call mine "Trove" but then I was beat to the punch earlier this year. Sucks.

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
My Dungeon's Keeper
My Guardian's Keeper
My Jailor's Keeper
My Warden's Keeper

The first one is derivative of Dungeon Keeper, but all are allusions to the phrase "my brother's keeper".

Guardian's Warden
This one is a play on words because a guardian is a person other than a parent who looks after a ward.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom