Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Heretic vs. Hexen

Which is better or are they both good for what they are?

• Hexen

Votes: 37 40.7%
  • Heretic

Votes: 18 19.8%
  • Both good for what they are

Votes: 36 39.6%

• Total voters

Phelot

Arcane
I've been on a Heretic and Hexen craze lately, right now on Heretic. It's amazing how different the two games really are and I've been trying to figure out which game is better or if they're both good in their own way. I also have a lot of free time at work today :D

I know we've had this debate before, but I don't think there's been a poll or proper thread for it. So, below are my thoughts and comparisons on the two games. I broke them down into a few categories.

Enemies-
Overall, I'd say Hexen had the more interesting enemies, although Heretic had a few really cool goons to slaughter. Hexen's enemies seem to have a bit more variety with each having a unique shtick. Ettin: the standard melee mob. Afrit: Annoying weak flying ranged menace. Centaur: Beefy melee (Slaughtaur can shoot, though) that will block your attacks. Stalker: water only, assassin like swamp creature. The Chaos Serpents can be extremely deadly up close. Like I said, each one had their specialty and each one may require you to switch up tactics., although admittedly later on, the final weapon can typically make short work of anything.

Heretic's enemies sometime feel redundant, though. The Weredragon, Undead warrior, Ophidian, Disciple, Nitrogolem, etc all have basically the same attack styles, albeit with slight variations. One fires one fire ball, another fires a row of fireballs, while one fires 3 balls that spread out. All pretty basic stuff and all dispatched the same way. While it is nice having the variety, when actually playing it is easy to zone out exactly what you're killing. Exceptions are the Maulataur and the Iron Lich which can both be fun dealing with since they switch up their attacks. The Iron Lich's tornado attack is a pain to deal with.

Weapons-
I think Hexen's weapons were much more memorable compared to Heretic. It is true that the weapon choices are limited per class and that there is no Tome of Awesomeness, but each added a lot of variety, save perhaps the Fighter's array of weapons. All kinds of cool things to consider: The Mage's Frost spell freezing an enemy in a corridor, thus blocking the horde behind it. The annoyance of dispatching a centaur with a Cleric's serpent staff. Although it can be somewhat boring until the third weapon is found and even on the most difficult levels you can usually swim in mana for your weapons so long as you take it easy with the fourth weapon.

Heretic's weapons are near exact duplicates of Doom's weapons, complete with a chaingun (dragon claw) chainsaw (Gauntlets) plasma rifle (hellstaff) etc. It would have been nice if they tried to make their weapons more unique. I mean, each weapon's input key is even the same as Doom's. For that matter, many of the weapons feel the same. Dragon claw, hellstaff, and firemace all feel the same even if their projectiles are different. Of course, the Tome makes all of these weapons aweomse and I have to admit that the effects are still amazing even after all these years. As for ammo for each, most of the episodes appear to do a good job at distributing ammo and weapons and on harder difficulties, I've found that I definitely have to get a little conservative with my shooting and often times have to switch back to the Wand to conserve more useful ammo.

Levels-
Hexen by far has better levels in my opinion. Better designed, stylish, and with more environmental obstacles than Heretic. They also offer more entertaining ways to progress through the levels other than the standard Yellow, Gree, and Blue keys of Heretic. I know some people don't like the switch hunting or the back peddling, but I always enjoyed it in this game since it was a thrill to see what a lever on one level opened in another. Seven Portals, the first hub, was a blast to go through for me. Hexen also had great environmental threats. Collapsing floors, spitting lava, and crushing ceilings keeps you on your toes. Also, some of the best environments in any FPS game ever, in my opinion. I still love seeing those blowing leaves, or the destroyable skeletons. The sound and music is also much better than Heretics.

Heretic has pretty standard Doom like levels. They certainly use the whole "flick a switch, trigger a trap" type deal and it never really gets old. Also, some great arena like levels to try the Tome of Power out on. While there were some pretty nice textures in Heretic, there were also some rather ugly or bland ones. The levels are built well enough for running and gunning, frantic firing down corridors, but they mostly seem bland. That's OK though because this game is all about the running and gunning and firing down corridors so the levels serve their purpose well.

Combat/Gameplay-
The unique enemies and weapons makes for some interesting combat situations in Hexen. Still plenty of running and strafing involved, though, so overall the game stays true to the style of Heretic, though I'd definitely say that it improves upon things. Despite me bad mouthing the some what redundant enemies of Heretic and championing Hexen's, it would have been nice to have had maybe one more variety of foe to deal with. Part of the problem is that Hexen is filled with ettins, centaurs, afrits, and to a lesser extent the serpents. The rest are somewhat special encounter and while that definitely makes those encounters fun events, it does get tiring dealing with the same 3-4 enemy types throughout the entire game.

In pure shooting and dodging, Heretic takes the cake... if that's what you're looking for. I've found that playing both games offer a pleasantly different experience. Heretic is great for zoning out and testing your reflexes. Some of its tougher enemies like the Iron Lich offer some sweet satisfaction when you finally off them.

This is getting to be a little tl;dr so I'll leave it at this. I'm sure I'm forgetting a few points.

EDIT: BTW, has anyone played the H!Zone level pack by Wizardworks? It has something like 250 levels for Heretic and Hexen. I'm mostly concerned about the Hexen levels. Are they any good?

http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/hzone

DraQ

Arcane
Hexen, though Heretic isn't too shabby either.

It's just that Heretic feels like a Doom TC trying to tackle a theme Doom is very ill-suited for, while Hexen feels like an actual, well realized fantasy game. And is less garish.

Still, loss of ToP is a shame. I also liked the gauntlets.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Heretic is good, but it's just a carbon copy of Doom with a fantasy paint job. HeXen is its own game. The hub based world exploration is great and you have 3 different characters to chosse from. Both are good games, but if I have to pick one then Hexen is the clear winner.

Last edited:

Phelot

Arcane
Hmmm I could have sworn there were a few diehard Heretic fans around here.

Roderick

Savant
Heretic is awesome. for me it always felt more than a doom paint job.

DakaSha

Arcane
Hexen. I liked both as well but hexen was prob the first 3D fantasy experience with great atmosphere that I played. I remember thinking that swamp area was the most awesome shit i have ever seen and id mess around in map editors just for the sake of creating cool ass locations. The levels were a bit tedious iirc but fuck it. Still kickass.

Now to a much better question. what was better: Hexen II or Heretic II :troll:

DraQ

Arcane
Hexen. I liked both as well but hexen was prob the first 3D fantasy experience with great atmosphere that I played. I remember thinking that swamp area was the most awesome shit i have ever seen and id mess around in map editors just for the sake of creating cool ass locations. The levels were a bit tedious iirc but fuck it. Still kickass.

But Hexen I was Heretic II.
:troll:

Phelot

Arcane
BTW...

EDIT: BTW, has anyone played the H!Zone level pack by Wizardworks? It has something like 250 levels for Heretic and Hexen. I'm mostly concerned about the Hexen levels. Are they any good?

http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/hzone

http://www.amazon.com/H-Zone/dp/B00...ie=UTF8&qid=1342647261&sr=1-2&keywords=H!Zone

Price: $85.08 :eek:

Also saw it on ebay for $105

It's like some antique or something

EDIT:

Hmmm... this: http://www.hexenmagetower.com/hzone.htm seems to have all or some of the H!Zone maps for download. Not sure how legal this is, but I doubt anyone cares at this point. Wizardworks has been dead for years.

There are also some mods there I'll have to check out.

DakaSha

Arcane

But Hexen I was Heretic II.
:troll:

:bravo:

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
It's amazing how different the two games really are and I've been trying to figure out which game is better or if they're both good in their own way.
I think Hexen is the better game (and that's what I voted), but I like both equally, if for different reasons.

Overall, I'd say Hexen had the more interesting enemies, although Heretic had a few really cool goons to slaughter.
My biggest gripe with Hexen is the tiny enemy variety, actually. Sure the enemies are very different from each other, but considering the sheer numbers you end up fighting the same stuff a LOT. While many of Heretic's enemies are similar, the little differences still keep it interesting. Sure both Undead Warrior and Ophidian have a ranged attack, but the Ophidian's burst fire requires a different tactic than the Warrior's single attack, the Nitrogolem's "charge" attack means you can prevent it if you kill him fast enough (and it's also slightly homing, unlike the others), and so on. And when you get these all mixed in various proportions things get a lot more interesting. Though nobody can compete with the Hexen Disciple for greatest ranged attack.

I think Hexen's weapons were much more memorable compared to Heretic.
Obviously. Heretic is a Doom TC with a few bells and whistles, and while I don't mind that at all (for the same reason why I like Doom 2 - more-of-the-same is not a problem when it also means more of the same quality) Hexen will win because the weapons are so much more fun to use and many have their own particular quirks, like the Staff functioning as a melee health leech (which can backfire spectacularly against centaurs) or the Wraithverge being quite possibly the most awesome weapon ever designed for an FPS. Arc is great fun if you can almost-lineup the enemies as it can affect all of them even if they're not in a perfect straight line, the freezing spell is great for crowd control, and of course the radically different uses for the flechette flasks depending on class. It all works fantastically well to make each class so distinct.

on harder difficulties, I've found that I definitely have to get a little conservative with my shooting and often times have to switch back to the Wand to conserve more useful ammo.
The difficulties in Heretic function the same as in Doom, so there are really 3 levels, with the first and fifth actually being rule variants of Easy and Hard respectively. If you're playing on Hard, and have Shadow of the Serpent Riders (free patch that added 2 episodes), you are going to have to do a LOT of ammo conservation in the new episodes. They can be quite brutal the first time actually, until you know the level layout and where ammo can be found (and the secrets with more ammo, of course). Lots of fun though.

Hexen by far has better levels in my opinion. Better designed, stylish, and with more environmental obstacles than Heretic.
In some ways I like Heretic's levels a bit more. In fact Hexen's to Heretic's feel like Doom 2's to Doom 1's - better in terms of abstract design, but far less believable or atmospheric due to them being much more metagamey in terms of tricks and traps. Heretic E1 still has some absolutely gorgeous levels - The Cathedral is still one of my favorites, and a blast in MP. As for obstables I don't think it's fair to compare them - Hexen had a scripting system developed specifically for it, and it fully takes advantage of it in its traps. They're much superior obviously, but since Heretic had no way of actually doing any of this stuff I don't think a direct comparison is fair.

I know some people don't like the switch hunting or the back peddling, but I always enjoyed it in this game since it was a thrill to see what a lever on one level opened in another.
Like everything else, switch hunting is bad if badly implemented. Hexen's is great because the game clues you in on what's changed, and going back and looking for the changes is part of the fun.

BTW, has anyone played the H!Zone level pack by Wizardworks? It has something like 250 levels for Heretic and Hexen. I'm mostly concerned about the Hexen levels. Are they any good?
I don't remember much from them, but if they're the usual Wizardworks fare, some will be good, some will be great, and most will stink on ice.

And is less garish.
Looks like somebody accidentally changed the gamma setting in Heretic :smug:

lightbane

Arcane
Hexen obviously. I mean, it has the Wraithverge, shooting bullets made of angry spirits that tear everything to pieces is an instant win for me.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Prob Hexen, although both are fun. However, Hexen was simply ambitious as all hell, so ambitious, in fact, that it's hardly ever been matched, while Heretic was pretty much a Doom clone with inventory. The only arguably "bad" parts of Hexen are the Fucking Annoying parts, such as the goddamn projectile-reflecting centaurs and level design that often leaves you confused like fuck and moving back and forth looking for a solution to go ahead for hours straight.

Also, Hexen has the Heresiarch, who is cool.

DraQ

Arcane
Arc is great fun if you can almost-lineup the enemies as it can affect all of them even if they're not in a perfect straight line
You mean Bloodscourge. Arc is awesome in that it effectively ignores elevation and line of sight as long as there is a way over or under obstacles.

It bypasses centaur/slaughtaur's defences too.
In some ways I like Heretic's levels a bit more. In fact Hexen's to Heretic's feel like Doom 2's to Doom 1's - better in terms of abstract design, but far less believable or atmospheric due to them being much more metagamey in terms of tricks and traps.
I don't really agree. To me Heretic levels seem much more abstract in that their layout provides much less hints regarding their supposed nature. They also use lighting pretty badly - flashing lights and use of dark and brightly lit adjacent sectors work brilliantly for overrun high tech bases with malfunctioning fluorescent lighting, but not for quasi-medieval environments lit by magic and torches. And don't forget vertically sliding doors - at least Hexen allowed rotating and moving sectors which meant it could portray stuff like swinging and horizontally sliding doors.

Yes, Hexen's levels were abstract in a way, but it was a better kind of abstraction - one resembling oldschool dungeon crawls after which Hexen seems stylised.

As for the atmosphere - you've got to be kidding, pretty much every single area in Hexen is atmospheric and memorable (swamps, badlands, even themed "Guardian of X" tests in the first hub, while most of the ones in Heretic could just as well be textured as UAC starbase.

Some are good, I can't deny that, but still not up to par with Hexen's.
Looks like somebody accidentally changed the gamma setting in Heretic :smug:
That was Hexen and Heretic *is* very bright and garish compared to much darker, more palette-conscious and more atmospheric Hexen.

Micmu

Magister
Hexen is so fucking awesome (my favorite FPS next to Doom 2) I'm going to replay it right now (plus Deathknights of The Dark Citadel).
Which engine do you guys recommend nowadays?
Last time I (re-re-re-)played it was with Doomsday and it was cool. Monsters were even modeled in 3D (looking uncannily like the original sprites), textures were sharpened but everything else was the same - including the awesome music.

Phelot

Arcane
Hexen is so fucking awesome (my favorite FPS next to Doom 2) I'm going to replay it right now (plus Deathknights of The Dark Citadel).
Which engine do you guys recommend nowadays?
Last time I (re-re-re-)played it was with Doomsday and it was cool. Monsters were even modeled in 3D (looking uncannily like the original sprites), textures were sharpened but everything else was the same - including the awesome music.

I use an older version of Doomsday, though check to see if the latest version or if ZDoom has fixed some of the bugs, which I'm sure they have by now. The version I have has useless Flechette for Cleric and a few walls that you can walk through, mostly the walls that can rotate, such as the entrance to the secret level in Seven Portals.

Phelot

Arcane
In some ways I like Heretic's levels a bit more. In fact Hexen's to Heretic's feel like Doom 2's to Doom 1's - better in terms of abstract design, but far less believable or atmospheric due to them being much more metagamey in terms of tricks and traps.
I don't really agree. To me Heretic levels seem much more abstract in that their layout provides much less hints regarding their supposed nature. They also use lighting pretty badly - flashing lights and use of dark and brightly lit adjacent sectors work brilliantly for overrun high tech bases with malfunctioning fluorescent lighting, but not for quasi-medieval environments lit by magic and torches. And don't forget vertically sliding doors - at least Hexen allowed rotating and moving sectors which meant it could portray stuff like swinging and horizontally sliding doors.

Yes, Hexen's levels were abstract in a way, but it was a better kind of abstraction - one resembling oldschool dungeon crawls after which Hexen seems stylised.

As for the atmosphere - you've got to be kidding, pretty much every single area in Hexen is atmospheric and memorable (swamps, badlands, even themed "Guardian of X" tests in the first hub, while most of the ones in Heretic could just as well be textured as UAC starbase.

Some are good, I can't deny that, but still not up to par with Hexen's.

Yes, I almost wonder if Sceptic switched games around by mistake or maybe I miss reading that quote. Hexen's levels were far more believable and atmospheric.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Heretic is good, but it's just a carbon copy of Doom with a fantasy paint job. HeXen is its own game. The hub based world exploration is great and you have 3 different characters to chose from. Both are good games, but if I have to pick one then Hexen is the clear winner.

Mother Russia

Andhaira
Andhaira
Dumbfuck Queued
Codex 2013
Hey phelot, I've played these games back in the day!!

Heretic was IMO revolutionary when it was released. It was so much more than a doom clone. It was Hexen that was a clone of Heretic, IMO. Yes, Hexen should have been better because it had characters you could choose from, but gameplay wise Heretic was better.

However, Heretic II was the best BY FAR out of all of them. That expandable staff/spear, third person view, amazing akshun, great graphics, great effects (the rain of doom with the bow weapon was amazing), great spells...it rawked!!!

To this day I cannot believe there was no Heretic III. I have no idea why, does anyone here know?

Phelot

Arcane

Heretic was IMO revolutionary when it was released. It was so much more than a doom clone. It was Hexen that was a clone of Heretic, IMO. Yes, Hexen should have been better because it had characters you could choose from, but gameplay wise Heretic was better.

What?! This is insanity! Unless you simply prefer Heretic's gunplay.

To this day I cannot believe there was no Heretic III. I have no idea why, does anyone here know?

Good question. I'd love to see a cover based Hexen sequel :lol: It's a shame Raven got bought by Activision.

Phelot

Arcane
BTW, for anyone interested, those H!Zone levels are pretty bad for Hexen. Really boring levels :(

But I've been going through Death Kings and I dare say these levels might be better than the original. Really fucking tough on 4th difficulty playing as Cleric, especially when trying to find the damn 3rd weapon. I think I might have gotten myself stuck since I've exhausted a large portion of blue Mana from the other levels. It turns out cleric's 3rd weapon is in the last area I went to clear :?

DraQ

Arcane

16i8ln9.gif

:smug:

Rpgsaurus Rex

I've played the shit out of Heretic back in the day, but somehow missed Hexen completely.

Replaying Heretic some time ago for nostalgia's sake I tried a go at Hexen as well (they're plot related and all). All I can say is that I'm not a big fan of puzzles and having to backtrack a lot to figure things out in an FPS game. I'm horrible at puzzles and adventure games in general...

DraQ

Arcane
I've played the shit out of Heretic back in the day, but somehow missed Hexen completely.

Replaying Heretic some time ago for nostalgia's sake I tried a go at Hexen as well (they're plot related and all). All I can say is that I'm not a big fan of puzzles and having to backtrack a lot to figure things out in an FPS game. I'm horrible at puzzles and adventure games in general...
Well, you generally get informed where something has changed, so it's not a blind switch hunt.

Hexen 2 has more traditional puzzles. It's also sort of empty-ish, which is bad, but OTOH combat dynamics is interesting.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom