Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Hero-U: Rogue to Redemption - adventure-RPG from the creators of Quest for Glory

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/transolargames/hero-u-rogue-to-redemption/posts/1771326

Happy Hero-U Holidays

Lori and I, and the entire Hero-U development team, wish all our loyal backers and friends a Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays. (You can check out last year’s holiday card and poem at http://hero-u.com/happy-holidays-2015/.)

Have a Very Meepy Christmas

I recently shipped all of the “soft goods” – Hero-Unicorn baseball caps, All the Heroes t-shirts, and Blue Meeps – to backers who chose them as rewards in the 2015 Kickstarter campaign or BackerKit. Much thanks and appreciation to Eric Varnes, who designed the images on both the new hats and t-shirts.

Check your pledge at https://hero-u-adventure-role-playing-game.backerkit.com/backer/welcome. If your pledge included a t-shirt, cap, or meep toy, you should have received it by now or at least received an email saying it’s in the mail. If you think you are missing a toy, meep, or t-shirt, contact support (at) hero-u (dot) net.

While you’re at it, please make sure your email and mailing address are up to date on BackerKit. We’ll need them to hook you up with digital and physical game rewards, including the game itself.

I still need to print, package, and mail poster prints to backers who ordered them, and canvas prints to high-end backers from both campaigns. Lori and I decided to wait on shipping prints until we release the game, as it makes much more sense to have a Hero-U poster or painting once you also have the game.

bae9f576a148b58f9acfe0d7dd4aa7a5_original.png

Oh, That Door Looks Perfectly Safe

The Year in Review
2016 has been a roller-coaster ride for us. There have been some great and exciting moments, and some sad and terrifying ones. If I needed to describe it all in one word, it would be “unpredictable”. Sadly, I could use the same word to describe most of the development of Hero-U: Rogue to Redemption.

The hardest part of running a small indie business has been turnover. To date, we’ve had about 30 people work on Hero-U, but currently we’re down to four regular developers, three occasional contributors, and Lori and me. Health, family, and computer issues have cost almost every team member at least a month during the year, and much more for some. I’m not going to go into details, but many events unrelated to the project have created huge stress for us and the team this year. These challenges have continually impacted the schedule, but we’ll keep pushing until the game is done.

On the positive side, we’ve made tremendous progress with the game. I’m personally funding it at this point, and that’s appropriate. “With great risk comes great reward.” – Dungeonmaster or maybe the D&D Player Handbook. Fortunately, Lori and I turned 60 while working on Hero-U, which opens access to our retirement accounts. We’ll try not to exhaust them, but the game comes first! We’re much too young to actually retire.

f5ba5d5cde388c553eadcfe27e4bf91c_original.png

I hope that sword is just for scaling the marlin

A lot of that progress is filling out the fine details of the game text and dialogue. Lori is down to the last few conversations. Josh Mandel has done a wonderful job of filling out the characters and game world by making every object in the game interactable. Our “Explorer” players – and everyone has some Explorer in them – are going to love the fine detail and humor that Josh has infused throughout the game.

Joshua Smyth continues to fill out the game with improved rooms and regions, better lighting, and of course the role-playing game combat. Each monster type has its own “personality” and behavior, although most share the common trait of enjoying the taste of rogue (or any other careless student). We lost Joshua to a “day job” for several months this year, and I can’t emphasize how critical he has been to the project since returning.

Al Eufrasio has had a tremendous impact on the look of the project as our animator. Al wrote a great post about the decisions involved in animating characters that I will share in the next update.

Unity Programmer Help Needed
I’ve had a balancing act throughout the Hero-U project. We need the right developers to complete and polish the game. But we also had to reach “critical mass” on the design, writing, and asset creation so they could get their work done. We also have a limited budget by game development standards, so we’ve had to run with a very lean team. That’s fine except when there’s turnover. In 2016, we lost most of Cidney’s time to recovery from an auto accident, Carolyn left for a full-time job, and most of Adam’s time to a triple-whammy of a dead computer and illness in the family. And now he’s moving on to a full-time day job, which will limit his time in 2017.

44a56c30dd816fa8124cd8bc27761168_original.png

Lost in the Sea Caves

To finish Hero-U, we need one or two programmers to work with me on polishing individual scenes. The work will be a three-month contract with possible extension. If you have the right qualifications and want to join our small team, please contact me at jobs (at) hero-u (dot) com. (Note that this is a .com address, not .net as in the support email.) You must meet all of these requirements:

• Experience developing games with Unity and C# (at least six months).
  • Available to work at least 20 hours a week, up to 40.
  • Able to work independently with a minimum of supervision.
  • Ability to communicate well with other team members.
  • Since this is a short-term contract, we prefer that you have your own Unity Pro license valid for Unity 4 (this is included in Unity 5 licenses).

Bumvelcrow

Somewhat interesting
Patron
Dumbfuck
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Strap Yourselves In
They've been pouring good money after bad for some time now and even considering using their pensions to fund the game is the point where they should have just wound things up. Unlike some Kickstarters they still seem to have kept a lot of good will through their efforts to complete the game, but it's never going to make back what they've put into it.

Mustawd

They've been pouring good money after bad for some time now and even considering using their pensions to fund the game

WTF am i reading? At some point you should just throw in the towel and admit defeat. This game will be forgotten very quickly, if and when it releases.

The Coles seem like good people, but modern day devs they are not.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Request for any future time travellers reading this forum: Go back to 2012 and scream loudly at all the ex-Sierra Kickstarter devs to hook up with Himalaya/Infamous/Wadjet Eye and use AGS to develop their games. Thank you.

almondblight

Arcane
Request for any future time travellers reading this forum: Go back to 2012 and scream loudly at all the ex-Sierra Kickstarter devs to hook up with Himalaya/Infamous/Wadjet Eye and use AGS to develop their games. Thank you.

But weren't there already plenty of people screaming loudly about that back then?

Barbarian

Arcane
Honestly at this point I put more stock in this game eventually seeing release than Asylum. At least they are commited and showing actual progress.

True.

Boleskine

Arcane
The initial amount they raised wasn't enough, they took a mortgage for their home, and now they're completely out of money and self-funding by dipping into retirement funds? And they need a new programmer who will be willing to work for scraps?

:negative:

But weren't there already plenty of people screaming loudly about that back then?

Some were, but they were drowned out by people complaining that 2D and pixel graphics aren't pretty enough. Moving to Unity and doing a 3D game was such a terrible choice.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
Given how almost incomprehensible it is that they would use something other than AGS or Wintermute or Visionaire, isn't the more plausible explanation that future time travelers already fixed our timeline to ensure that the adventure renaissance would never happen?

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Irenaeus

Self-Ejected
Patron
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual The Real Fanboy
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera
Given how almost incomprehensible it is that they would use something other than AGS or Wintermute or Visionaire, isn't the more plausible explanation that future time travelers already fixed our timeline to ensure that the adventure renaissance would never happen?

They'd have to kill you :smug:

Blackthorne

Infamous Quests
Patron
Developer
Codex 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Honestly, I just think of all the games we could have made for what they raised on this one. It's staggering, really. If they're really pouring in from their retirement, I'm a little worried for them. I don't think they'll get a return on that.

Bt

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Yeah, it's really quite worrying how much they're going over budget, and that they're now tapping into their retirement funds. This is still a niche game, and it's not going to make back an investment that big unless they milk it to hell and back.

I haven't followed the entire development but I remember the game switching its basic design principles many times throughout early development. This is why you need to have a proper plan before you go into development. You'll just eat away your funds before you even start on making the game that's going to see release.

Boleskine

Arcane
Yeah, it's really quite worrying how much they're going over budget, and that they're now tapping into their retirement funds. This is still a niche game, and it's not going to make back an investment that big unless they milk it to hell and back.

I haven't followed the entire development but I remember the game switching its basic design principles many times throughout early development. This is why you need to have a proper plan before you go into development. You'll just eat away your funds before you even start on making the game that's going to see release.

The biggest problem is that they changed their basic design and concept during the kickstarter, so the original funding goal for the old idea was never going to be enough for the current design. The Coles fucked themselves from the very beginning, and like you say they didn't have a clear plan.

It's like a contractor asking for $400,000 to build a 3 bedroom house, but after they get the money they decide they're going to build a 10 bedroom mansion with the same amount of money. The Coles were sadly not honest with themselves about many things, ranging from the demand for a new game by them to their abilities as project managers.

Watching Hero-U, Spaceventure, and Asylum limp along with no visible finish line is disappointing.

Last edited:

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
We are truly in the darkest timeline
No. In the darkest timeline, all of Jane Jensen's novels are actually adventure games. You have no idea what you have to do with cat fur in them. :(

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
http://hero-u.com/celebrating-hero-u-2017/

Celebrating Hero-U 2017

We like to decorate our Christmas/Solstice tree with themed decorations. One year was space, another Harry Potter. For the past five Christmas seasons, we’ve decorated the tree with symbols of Quest for Glory and Hero-U to remind us of our commitment. We have Quest for Glory ornaments, School for Heroes baubles, and Rogue decorations. Our gifts this year included Hero-U mugs and t-shirts. It’s safe to say that we’ve thought of Hero-U a lot more than about snowmen, reindeers, or sugar plums during these holidays.

HeroChristmas2016.jpg

Hero-U Christmas

We believe the love and commitment from us and the team will make Hero-U great. Every week, I have the pleasure and honor of seeing John Paul’s gorgeous artwork created for the game. Chris and Aaron did fantastic work bringing JP’s vision for the school into 3D. Al has given our characters graceful movement. Carolyn turned static scenes into staged events. Jerry and Robert built the foundation of the castle and the other environs. Adam gave us our Reputation system and our new interface design. Judy created the foundations for our mini-games and added important features to Rob’s game scripting editor. Joshua has led the development of… well, nearly everything code-related. Our other Josh is helping Hero-U be hilarious through his droll messages for interacting with objects that most games ignore.

Moira.png

Both Al and JP play the game weekly to see that things work and look right, handling Quality Assurance as well as their artistic contributions now that the art tasks are winding down. Who better to judge whether a room lights need adjusting or a character’s movement looks stilted?

It’s the programmers who need to do the heavy lifting now. We’ll be adding a few new names to our programming list soon. It’s time to get this game done.

The game is designed, but I am still writing dialogue and setting scenes in motion. Our custom game system has turned me into a programmer as well as a writer. It gives me the control to make a scene extremely complicated and sophisticated without the worry that my design will get lost in programming translation. It also makes my job harder and take longer as I have to keep track of ‘If’s and Else’s”. We also get to spend time finding mistakes in the scripts as well as in the Unity code.

Corey is now going over the resumes of the many wonderful folk who want to work on the game. There’s a lot of behind-the-scene work like paying people, bills, and taxes that needs to be done to keep this project going. Occasionally he even contributes to design decisions.

Hero-U is a very different game from anything we have made in the past. We’ve applied lessons from every game design we’ve created, the experiences of all the people involved, and the pleasure of all the games we all have played and loved. Hero-U will bring these things together to create a game experience that we hope you all will love as much as you loved Quest for Glory.

So here’s to 2017! We are adding more programmers to add to the richness of the game. We are incorporating new music and sound effects to give the game emotional depth. We are testing, poking, and judging every pixel and action in the game to make sure it works as intended and that the game is fun.

This is the year we ship this game. You will enjoy all the effort it took and all the love we built into this creation.

It’s going to be a great year for Hero-U.

title_celebrate2017.jpg

Boleskine

Arcane
How are they still writing this game 4 years later? I can understand the slow progress on technical things, but if the writing still isn't finished it makes the Coles look even more disorganized and inept at managing their time and resources.

Tramboi

Prophet
Patron
Maybe some stuff they envisioned was too ambitious considering the expected engine and the writing needs some severe trimming, but I do agree with you.
I'm really worried about the result.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/transolargames/hero-u-rogue-to-redemption/posts/1807590

Our Funny Valentine - Hero-U February 2017 Update

Lori and I cannot express how much we appreciate both the initial support and continuing patience (or at least acceptance) from all of our dedicated Hero-U backers. Making this game is proving harder than anything else we’ve done, but you’ve also given us the opportunity to create something new and we hope wonderful.

So we wish a Happy Valentine’s Day with love to all of you.

a40f520d41a9bdd289828087b2e763ef_original.jpg

Happy Valentine's Day

New team members
I put out a call for Unity programmers in December, and we were delighted with the results. Ten people applied, and if I had the budget I would have hired all ten of them. Currently I’ve added three additional developers to the team. Each brings extensive Unity and game development experience to the team.

Thanks to everyone who applied. Lori and I were impressed with your level of talent and dedication.

Planned Beta and Release dates
The current plan calls for “Code Complete” – all features implemented and ready for outside Beta testing – in 2-3 months. Figure on April 30 for the start of Beta. We plan to distribute digital copies of the game through a download on BackerKit for backers, and through Steam, GoG, and Humble for new orders.

The Beta phase will also last 2-3 months, so we’re targeting late June to mid-July for game release. We are following the tradition of similar Kickstarter projects in releasing the digital version of the game first. After we’ve fixed most of the problems reported by players, we’ll manufacture the boxed games and send them out to the backers at higher contribution levels.

We might still slip, but it won’t be by much. Lori and I have strong financial and creative incentives to get the game out the door and into your hands.

It’s a Trap

Here’s a sneak peek at the trap disarming puzzle. As Shawn practices disarming traps and improves in skill, some of the incorrect letters will be removed from the dial of Shawn’s Trap Tapper. https://youtu.be/RW3JjZI5YKM

Remember, Rogues, it takes more than a disarming smile to bypass a diabolical trap!

Project upgraded to Unity 5.5
We looked into porting Hero-U to Unity 5 a couple of years ago, but decided we did not have the expertise to make it work. Now with the help of our new team members, we’re up and running on version 5.5. This brings the game some big improvements in lighting, performance, and stability.

Bob Bates Thaumistry game
Bob Bates is an adventure game hero going all the way back to the days of Infocom text adventures. Bob also co-founded Legend Entertainment and published our Shannara adventure RPG. Now he has returned to his text adventure roots with Thaumistry, a comical fantasy interactive fiction game on Kickstarter. The project is fully funded, but additional backers will help Bob reach stretch goals including audio.

Please support Thaumistry and help keep the text adventure market alive. The project is on Kickstarter at https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1575848200/thaumistry-in-charms-way-a-new-comedy-text-adventu

Seriously, You’re the Best
Thank you for supporting our incredible journey into making a Sierra-quality video game in the new indie era. We wouldn’t be here without our generous backers, and we think you’re going to love Hero-U as much as we love making it.

2b42e43d57dcd9bf77238d084945aae5_original.jpg

It's pretty heartbreaking to see them trying to put on the "we are loving making this game! guys ur the best!" face while it's probably been the worst experience of their lives

Lhynn

Arcane
It was a bad idea and i called it a long time ago

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom