Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Indie Heroes of a Broken Land

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Damn, just watched the video. Looks like a decent turn based blobber (and overland exploration). Just the kind of game I have been craving for. <3

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
It's fun but so far hasn't kept me engrossed. I wish there were a bit more depth to characters and combat but I understand the limitations of a one man production.

WingedPixel

Winged Pixel
Developer

jdinatale

Cipher
Try contacting them?

No response from the email that had been mailing me releases of the game.

What's the problem exactly?
You bought from wingedpixel.com directly but don't have a steam key? I've noticed that hotmail.com/outlook.com often treat my mails as spam.

Can you email me at andrew@wingedpixel.com? (Ideally from the same email address you used when you purchased the game)

Thanks! I'll shoot you an email. Yes, it's that I never got a Steam key.

Shevek

Arcane
Sorry to necro the thread. I picked this up recently. Absolutely great game. Is WingedPixel planning any sequels or expansions?

da_rays

Augur
Anyone got decent feedback on this one? Look pretty decent for a blobber fix, currently at 70% on steam , might worth the grab , but that thing went totally off my radar. Its a town building simulator with adventuring ''A la blobber style'' with different party? Can anyone elaborate why the character progression seem a bit meh? any input would be Codexially favored

Aothan

Magister
a few thought the game was generally good, page 3 of the stickied thread "Obscure indies that deserve more attention" has some comments and impressions

Snorkack

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
For 70% off you can give it a shot. The 'adventuring blobber style' is the core feature, but you can build a limited number of buildings in your towns, like shops or a tavern or training grounds. There's not really a simulation aspect, you don't need to carefully plan your economy or so. The 4 heroes you generate in the beginning won't necessarily be your main characters, you can always recruit new guys in the taverns and explore world with different parties. Exploration of the overworld reminds me of Neo Scavenger. If you enter a dungeon, the gameplay gets MM3-5 style. You explore grid-based and you can see your foes already tiles ahead before you engage them in tb combat.
Overall it is good fun for a few hours, but the fact that the whole world, dungeons included, is procedurally generated leads to the fact that the game doesn't present you a single encounter/situation that feels truly memorable.

WingedPixel

Winged Pixel
Developer
Sorry to necro the thread. I picked this up recently. Absolutely great game. Is WingedPixel planning any sequels or expansions?

Sorry for the really slow reply, I'm more of a lurker here and didn't notice people posting here for a while.

From a strictly creative perspective I'm pretty happy with what HOBL turned out to be, but it did suffer from being the first RPG I've ever designed and the low production values. I'm working on a sequel - although it's not officially announced or anything, so I don't have anything to show just yet. But I hope to build on what I believe are HOBL's strengths: a streamlined experience, quick but fun and somewhat challenging combat, strategic town building and world exploration. While at the same time fixing it's largest flaws: poorly thought out character development (it breaks down at high levels) and mediocre dungeon designs.

It's a part-time/hobby for me at the moment so development can move slowly at times, hopefully I'll have something to show later this year...

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space

Sorry for the really slow reply, I'm more of a lurker here and didn't notice people posting here for a while.

From a strictly creative perspective I'm pretty happy with what HOBL turned out to be, but it did suffer from being the first RPG I've ever designed and the low production values. I'm working on a sequel - although it's not officially announced or anything, so I don't have anything to show just yet. But I hope to build on what I believe are HOBL's strengths: a streamlined experience, quick but fun and somewhat challenging combat, strategic town building and world exploration. While at the same time fixing it's largest flaws: poorly thought out character development (it breaks down at high levels) and mediocre dungeon designs.

It's a part-time/hobby for me at the moment so development can move slowly at times, hopefully I'll have something to show later this year...

It's so refreshing to see a developer who has talent, introspection and develops first and shills after. I am getting so worn down by kickstarters started by amateur developers who blow their load on a cheap video talking about all their dreams and aspirations and all the great things they can do.. Getting funded thousands to hundreds of thousands of dollars then bailing out in 6 months because of... reasons..

Keep up the great work.

ushas

Savant
Tried demo, this is really fun. I don't know why, but I really like the slimes, fast traveling in dungeons, and that it only takes ~100 MB space...

One of the concerns I feel about the Bard's tale IV is that all those animations and unreal-based graphics will take priority over the effectiveness of the core gameplay.

WingedPixel, do you plan to distribute HoBL via GOG? Voted in the wishlist there. :takemymoney:
(not sure about the future of Desura)

Beside that, how extensive is a keyboard support? For example, I haven't found if it's possible to proceed without a mouse when leveling up or changing equipment, or whether there is any keyboard shortcut for enabling/disabling the auto-attack feature.

I would also recommend to consider updating downloadable demos on the game's page. I've tried 64bit Linux demo (ver 1.8e) and besides some minor, I've encountered also one major bug, which according to your blog is already fixed in the 1.10 version (not able to fight with a new character, after merging parties).

WingedPixel

Winged Pixel
Developer
Glad you liked the game!

It won't be on GOG as they've already rejected it, and Desura is bankrupt so my game is no longer for sale there.
You can always buy direct from me: http://sites.fastspring.com/wingedpixel/product/hobl

They keyboard support isn't 100%, some things like world movement and town interaction that aren't usable by keyboard. The dungeon crawling is 90% keyboard accessible, you still need the mouse to interact with objects in the dungeon like secret doors. Z should toggle auto-attack by default, there should be a keyboard icon in the settings menu that will show you all the keyboard commands.

I've uploaded updated demos, thanks for the reminder!

getter77

Augur
I have to imagine it is at least worth a shot to try and get the game set up on itch.io all things considered given the GOG and Desura situations.

ushas

Savant
Glad you liked the game!

It won't be on GOG as they've already rejected it, and Desura is bankrupt so my game is no longer for sale there.
You can always buy direct from me: http://sites.fastspring.com/wingedpixel/product/hobl

They keyboard support isn't 100%, some things like world movement and town interaction that aren't usable by keyboard. The dungeon crawling is 90% keyboard accessible, you still need the mouse to interact with objects in the dungeon like secret doors. Z should toggle auto-attack by default, there should be a keyboard icon in the settings menu that will show you all the keyboard commands.

I've uploaded updated demos, thanks for the reminder!

Thanks for info. You are right, it would be probably tricky to try to navigate by keyboard on the overland map. I think, I was just a kind of expecting it on the inventory screen. Perhaps, because it remotely resembles those rpgmaker-like stat screens, where one can usually navigate by arrows, Enter/Esc, and eventually using Tab for tabs.

I don't know much about itch.io. Though Tales of Maj'Eyal and The Dwarf Run are there too, that's a fair company.

Roqua

Prospernaut
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual In My Safe Space
Do you have to have multiple parties in this game? That is why I haven't picked it up. It seems like a Heroes of Might & Magic game more than a Might & Magic game.

WingedPixel

Winged Pixel
Developer
You need multiple parties for some dungeons, including some main quest dungeons. It's more like Might & Magic, you spend most of your time dungeon crawling and get your trainers by upgrading your town.

Roqua

Prospernaut
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual In My Safe Space
You need multiple parties for some dungeons, including some main quest dungeons. It's more like Might & Magic, you spend most of your time dungeon crawling and get your trainers by upgrading your town.

Multiple parties as I can just split my one and only party into two for some dungeons (like Realms of Arkania) or I need to build and create multiple parties and run multiple parties and not just have one main party?

WingedPixel

Winged Pixel
Developer
No you need to use multiple parties to beat certain dungeons. You can split one party into multiple smaller ones, but obviously that will make the game pretty challenging

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom