Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Heroine's Quest - D/L Link in OP - Available NOW (FREE)!

Fizzii

Crystal Shard
Developer
Spanish, Italian and French translations of Heroine's Quest are now available :)

VPKIwAj.jpg

http://store.steampowered.com/app/283880/Heroines_Quest_The_Herald_of_Ragnarok/

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Bonus material/tip DLC is out:

Heroine's Quest is freeware. If you want to show your support for the development team, you can post a big 'thank you' on the community group, and/or you can get this DLC as a small token to us. You will receive this package with developer's documents and information on the history of Heroine's Quest; several resources that ended up not being in the game; and an old alpha build to play around with, that was used for internal bugtesting. This is for your curiosity and interest; the main game contains everything you need to play, for free.

Did you know that the developers live on three different continents? That the original design called for a fifth chapter on Yggdrasil? That short 3D movies were in the works to introduce the cities in the game? Find out all this, and more, in the developers notes for everybody's favorite Norse-themed female-protagonist Sierra'esque adventure-RPG-retro-hybrid!

You can also buy a bundle with other Crystal Shard games: http://store.steampowered.com/bundle/5656/Indie_Adventures_Bundle/

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
MRY wrote a nice review:

While there are other credible contenders (like Quest for Infamy) -- and more to come in the next couple years as Hero-U and Mage's Initiation wrap up development -- Heroine's Quest not only the best Quest for Glory game in the past 20+ years, but in some respects the superior of the games that inspired it.

First, let me get the shortcomings out of the way. The production values are not as strong as in the Sierra originals (the animations are a little choppy, the VO is a little amateurish, and the music is not as memorable) -- but those were commercial games made by seasoned veterans with a considerable budget. Heroine's Quest, unlike our Primordia or the majority of other AGS games you find on Steam -- is free, so it couldn't even theoretically recoup paying professional voice actors or the like. More fundamentally, the game seems to lack a little bit of the smoothness of the original QFGs: the grinding feels a little more grindy, the exploration a little too slow, the world somewhat less open and more driven by a linear plot. But to be clear, this is a *relative* comparison, and it is in relation to what I consider some of the best games of all time.

Having cleared that underbrush, let me now sing the game's praises. Most fundamentally, it achieves what I consider the game developer's greatest duty: generosity. That comes through not just through the price (i.e., free), but through the sheer quantity and variety of content. Everywhere the developers could give us more, they have, optional solutions and little Easter Eggs aplenty. That generosity is conveyed through the timeless and sadly underutilized QFG marriage of RPG and adventure game elements. The challenge of that kind of gameplay is that it requires a lot of art, a lot of alternate paths, and careful balance and testing. Heroine's Quest succeeds in all those things.

Earlier, I mentioned that the game exceeds QFG, and the way in which this is so (in my opinion) is the use of the Norse mythology and foklorica. It's not entirely consistent, and sometimes it mixes in modern fantasy elements or interpretations of the source material that don't quite work, but I found overall that it drew more deeply and broadly from this lore than did QFG, where individual elements were often cherry picked without their contextual elements. (For instance, QFG introduced a whole generation to Baba Yaga and her chicken-legged hut, and what a gift that was, but she is hardly surrounded by other Slavic elements -- instead you encounter a hodgepodge of Greek mythological creatures and D&D monsters in a quasi-German setting.) Heroine's Quest has greater consistency in this regard, though it suffers from the fact that Norse folk lore is more familiar so the characters feel less like "discoveries" than did, say, Baba Yaga.

Anyway, the bottom line is that this is a charming labor of love, shared for free, which leaves you with the warm, full feeling of a childhood feast, for those who grew up on QFG, or will serve as a pretty good entry point to genre to those unfamiliar with it. Three cheers for, and many thanks to, Crystal Shard!

Fizzii

Crystal Shard
Developer
MRY wrote a nice review:

While there are other credible contenders (like Quest for Infamy) -- and more to come in the next couple years as Hero-U and Mage's Initiation wrap up development -- Heroine's Quest not only the best Quest for Glory game in the past 20+ years, but in some respects the superior of the games that inspired it.

First, let me get the shortcomings out of the way. The production values are not as strong as in the Sierra originals (the animations are a little choppy, the VO is a little amateurish, and the music is not as memorable) -- but those were commercial games made by seasoned veterans with a considerable budget. Heroine's Quest, unlike our Primordia or the majority of other AGS games you find on Steam -- is free, so it couldn't even theoretically recoup paying professional voice actors or the like. More fundamentally, the game seems to lack a little bit of the smoothness of the original QFGs: the grinding feels a little more grindy, the exploration a little too slow, the world somewhat less open and more driven by a linear plot. But to be clear, this is a *relative* comparison, and it is in relation to what I consider some of the best games of all time.

Having cleared that underbrush, let me now sing the game's praises. Most fundamentally, it achieves what I consider the game developer's greatest duty: generosity. That comes through not just through the price (i.e., free), but through the sheer quantity and variety of content. Everywhere the developers could give us more, they have, optional solutions and little Easter Eggs aplenty. That generosity is conveyed through the timeless and sadly underutilized QFG marriage of RPG and adventure game elements. The challenge of that kind of gameplay is that it requires a lot of art, a lot of alternate paths, and careful balance and testing. Heroine's Quest succeeds in all those things.

Earlier, I mentioned that the game exceeds QFG, and the way in which this is so (in my opinion) is the use of the Norse mythology and foklorica. It's not entirely consistent, and sometimes it mixes in modern fantasy elements or interpretations of the source material that don't quite work, but I found overall that it drew more deeply and broadly from this lore than did QFG, where individual elements were often cherry picked without their contextual elements. (For instance, QFG introduced a whole generation to Baba Yaga and her chicken-legged hut, and what a gift that was, but she is hardly surrounded by other Slavic elements -- instead you encounter a hodgepodge of Greek mythological creatures and D&D monsters in a quasi-German setting.) Heroine's Quest has greater consistency in this regard, though it suffers from the fact that Norse folk lore is more familiar so the characters feel less like "discoveries" than did, say, Baba Yaga.

Anyway, the bottom line is that this is a charming labor of love, shared for free, which leaves you with the warm, full feeling of a childhood feast, for those who grew up on QFG, or will serve as a pretty good entry point to genre to those unfamiliar with it. Three cheers for, and many thanks to, Crystal Shard!

Thanks MRY !

Also, for those that are interested in sales, the Crystal Shard Adventure Bundle (Larry Lotter and the Test of Time / Quest for Yrolg / Starship Quasar), is 50% off in the current Steam winter sale, for $3 ($1 per game). A Tale of Two Kingdoms is also on sale for 30% off.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Also, for those that are interested in sales, the Crystal Shard Adventure Bundle (Larry Lotter and the Test of Time / Quest for Yrolg / Starship Quasar), is 50% off in the current Steam winter sale, for $3 ($1 per game). A Tale of Two Kingdoms is also on sale for 30% off.
For some reason I can't buy the full bundle of bundle+two kingdoms + hc dlc. Steam just removes it from my cart when I click to buy for myself. Doesn't seem to happen with other stuff, or your stuff individually. Any ideas why?

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Bonus material/tip DLC is out:

Heroine's Quest is freeware. If you want to show your support for the development team, you can post a big 'thank you' on the community group, and/or you can get this DLC as a small token to us. You will receive this package with developer's documents and information on the history of Heroine's Quest; several resources that ended up not being in the game; and an old alpha build to play around with, that was used for internal bugtesting. This is for your curiosity and interest; the main game contains everything you need to play, for free.

Did you know that the developers live on three different continents? That the original design called for a fifth chapter on Yggdrasil? That short 3D movies were in the works to introduce the cities in the game? Find out all this, and more, in the developers notes for everybody's favorite Norse-themed female-protagonist Sierra'esque adventure-RPG-retro-hybrid!

Nice, something to buy AFTER the Christmas sale is over (to maximize their cut).

Seriously, Heroine's Quest is worth money, yet we get it for free. I see no problem with throwing a few bucks at Crystal Shard for that.

Fizzii

Crystal Shard
Developer
For some reason I can't buy the full bundle of bundle+two kingdoms + hc dlc. Steam just removes it from my cart when I click to buy for myself. Doesn't seem to happen with other stuff, or your stuff individually. Any ideas why?
I'm not sure about why exactly, but apparently there is a Steam bug with the ATOTK soundtrack (which is included in this bundle), so it might be something similar. Radiant said he's asked Valve to look into it, but it might only be after the Xmas holidays are over that we see it fixed.

Also, it turns out the DLC doesn't enable trading cards because it doesn't meet the minimum spend. I've let Radiant know and hopefully we sort something out soon to make the trading cards happen :)

Merry Christmas everyone!

SerratedBiz

Arcane
No one here cares about trading cards anyway, I think. Kudos on an amazing game and I can't wait to see more from you guys!

Fizzii

Crystal Shard
Developer
No one here cares about trading cards anyway, I think. Kudos on an amazing game and I can't wait to see more from you guys!
Thanks! Some people asked for trading cards, that's all. We got it working now - by adding three decorative items that meet the Steam threshold for card drops.

Also, the full bundle containing A Tale of Two Kingdoms, its soundtrack, the Heroine's Quest Developer's Appreciation Package, and the Crystal Shard Adventure Bundle is now working: http://store.steampowered.com/bundle/5656/Indie_Adventures_Bundle/, and currently has an overall discount of 38%.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Some vanity items to enable trading cards: http://steamcommunity.com/games/hqthor/announcements/detail/1598081006429749311

Heroine's Quest Trading Cards

http://store.steampowered.com/itemstore/283880/

When HQ was first released on Steam, our intention was to include Steam trading cards in addition to achievements, leaderboards, and several other features that add to the game. Unfortunately, Valve's policy does not allow free games to give out trading cards with gameplay. We considered handing out cards to players high on the leaderboards, but it turns out this doesn't work under policy, either.

Trading cards are very popular on Steam, and therefore, one of the most frequently asked questions on this forum has been how to get cards for HQ. For players who want to craft a Heroine Badge or show off these cards on their profile, we have two options available.

First, if you have any Steam cards you don't want (e.g. because they're duplicates) you can convert them into 'gems' and you can use these gems to craft booster packs. Craft a HQ booster pack to gain a set of trading cards. This has worked for several years now. Not all players are aware this option exists, but at least one Steam player has a level-5 HQ badge by now.

Second, Steam does allow trading cards with in-game transactions. We have set up an item store for this purpose. You can buy a decoration for your favorite character class, and after about ten minutes of playing you'll get a trading card drop. You can use this to complete your set or trade them with other players. The link is at the top of this post.

Please note that the minimum transaction required for trading cards is set by Valve, not by us. Also please note that these items do not affect gameplay and are not required to complete the game. They're simply an extra option for players who love trading cards. Enjoy!

SerratedBiz

Arcane
I was just perusing the Heroine's Quest Steam page and ran across this

The game is designed in the spirit and atmosphere of the classics, and strives to have the same high quality of art, music, and plot. With multiple character classes and several solutions to many puzzles, there are plenty of options for further replayability. The game has been voted voted 69th All-Time Best Computer RPG by RpgCodex. It is available completely for free, or as we like to call it, priceless.

Just wanted to point it out because I love these guys and I'm glad they like us. :love:

Fizzii

Crystal Shard
Developer
So, I was meaning to reply to this thread sooner but got sidetracked with real life stuff - Thanks for your support guys , and yes, we do like this place :)

In other news, Radiant was looking into making a Mac port for HQ, but the showstopper for us is that no one is actively working on integrating it with Steam. So until someone is interested in this, we won't be having a Mac port for a while.

Currently, we are still working on Leylines - Radiant has been slowly working through the bug list, and just needs to implement the multiplayer code and diplomacy mechanics. It's been slow going the last few months because of real life again, but hopefully we'll have some news on it in the near future.

Dedup

Augur
I just finished this for the first time a couple of days ago. I played it as a fighter, on the hardest difficulty and had a blast. I particularly like that even when your combat stats are maxed, there are still fights that can be challenging if you run into an opponent that you haven't learned the patterns to yet. I was quite surprised the first time I fought a jotunn and got my head lopped off when I dodged incorrectly. Personally I consider the combat in this the game the best of all the QFG style games (including the originals) that I have played (the only one that I haven't played is the QFG 2 remake).

I also liked the survival mechanics. You appreciate the difference between earlier exploring, where you can only go a little ways before heading back to town, and later on when you have more stamina and items to keep warm letting you traverse the map with little trouble.

Everything else like the puzzles, dialogue, art style, etc., I found highly enjoyable with no complaints. For me this ranks with QFG 1 as one of my favourite games and may even surpass it. I will definitely throw some well deserved cash at the developers.

Fizzii

Crystal Shard
Developer
Thanks for writing this - it's good to still see this feedback, even years later!

I just finished this for the first time a couple of days ago. I played it as a fighter, on the hardest difficulty and had a blast. I particularly like that even when your combat stats are maxed, there are still fights that can be challenging if you run into an opponent that you haven't learned the patterns to yet. I was quite surprised the first time I fought a jotunn and got my head lopped off when I dodged incorrectly. Personally I consider the combat in this the game the best of all the QFG style games (including the originals) that I have played (the only one that I haven't played is the QFG 2 remake).
Fun fact - when Radiant first designed the combat system, the dodge button was linked to the AGI stat. And obviously, when you start off with low level stats, it means you're less likely to dodge successfully, so I thought it was broken when I played, because the button was doing nothing at any time. After finding out that Radiant had programmed it that way, I thought that maybe it would be a good idea to give the players more control of the dodge ability, and it would also encourage them to use their defense stances more. The question was then... what would we do with the AGI stat? We therefore repurposed it to increase your defense (reduce damage taken) as well as give the chance to get extra attacks in.

I'm glad that overall, most people ended up enjoying the combat. Though initially, to my surprise, quite a few people did end up getting confused with the dodge button (whereas I personally found it a bit more intuitive than leaving it to a "chance to dodge" stat).

Self-Ejected

Harry Easter

Self-Ejected

I also liked the survival mechanics. You appreciate the difference between earlier exploring, where you can only go a little ways before heading back to town, and later on when you have more stamina and items to keep warm letting you traverse the map with little trouble.

Everything else like the puzzles, dialogue, art style, etc., I found highly enjoyable with no complaints. For me this ranks with QFG 1 as one of my favourite games and may even surpass it. I will definitely throw some well deserved cash at the developers.

That describes my experience with the game, too! The writing and story are also strong (besides some jokes) and the devs showed that this kind of game still does work in the 21st century. I would like to see more games like this (so hopefully future Hero-U games become very successfull).

Last edited:

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Dusted this off recently, playing as a magus (my first playthrough was a rogue), and I gotta say I forgot how much this game lived up to its title. Namely, it's addictive as all hell. There's always like a dozen things you've got to attend to all over the place, and while you can tell yourself 'imma just go to Aurvandel, cash in on the riddle and quit for today', you then remember you have the frozen flowers along the way, enough cash to get the amulet from Liff, the chest for Regin, the flowers for Lithrasir and oh my God it's 2 hours later when did that time pass?!

Also, I have one somewhat unlikely, but very fond, memory related to Heroine's Quest that I think I will always associate with it. When I played it for the first time, it was at release in late december, I was still at uni. I was heading to a new year's party with a bro, and we decided to stop by a bar to chug down a few beers first to get in the mood. Once there I told him that I was playing this hilarious adventure game that sends you to a Tetris gameover screen if you refuse to take the main quest.

We spent enough time in that bar to acquire some proper liquid courage, so when we arrived at the actual party place, it was at a friend's apartment in this yuge condo tower, we figured 'ah fuck waiting for the elevator, let's take the stairs, it's gon be faster'. These towers are some 30 floors high, and we had to go to the 20th, iirc.

good times

Fizzii

Crystal Shard
Developer
Just in case anyone has missed it, Heroine's Quest has been updated on Steam:

---

Heroine's Quest: The Herald of Ragnarok has been updated to the latest stable version of Adventure Game Studio, 3.6.0 patch 5. This will improve stability on newer computers and compatibility with newer Windows versions. Saved games from 1.2 and up are fully compatible with 1.2.9.

A full list of engine changes can be found here.

Changes to gameplay:
  • Equip weapon if you pick one up and didn't have one.
  • Fixed regular game instead starting the appreciation package beta if installed.
  • Some minor fixes in translation files.
---

In other news, we are working on a new adventure game called Sir Bob: Squire for Hire. It is very mythology focused again, albeit quite a bit lighter-hearted (though the dialog isn't complete yet and I need to see more of it before I know for sure!). I'll be aiming to get some extra graphics done so we can get a trailer put together and get the Steam page up, and I'll post again when we have more news to share ;)

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

---

Heroine's Quest: The Herald of Ragnarok has been updated to the latest stable version of Adventure Game Studio, 3.6.0 patch 5. This will improve stability on newer computers and compatibility with newer Windows versions. Saved games from 1.2 and up are fully compatible with 1.2.9.

A full list of engine changes can be found here.

Changes to gameplay:
  • Equip weapon if you pick one up and didn't have one.
  • Fixed regular game instead starting the appreciation package beta if installed.
  • Some minor fixes in translation files.
---

In other news, we are working on a new adventure game called Sir Bob: Squire for Hire. It is very mythology focused again, albeit quite a bit lighter-hearted (though the dialog isn't complete yet and I need to see more of it before I know for sure!). I'll be aiming to get some extra graphics done so we can get a trailer put together and get the Steam page up, and I'll post again when we have more news to share ;)
Barbarian's quest when

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Many thanks for the update! :D

As a card-carrying member of the 1% of players who refuses to give up Windows 7, and therefore will be shut out of Steam at the end of this year, I must ask when/if the Itch.io-link will be updated to the latest version.

"Soon" is good enough an answer, as long as it happens before Ragnarök.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom