Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline HEX MMO Trading Card Game

J1M

Arcane
I like the concept of this. The kickstarter stinks of pay to win. Even the lowest tier ($20) lacks a value-add because you would have started with a free $10 deck when you make a free to play account. Add to that all of these cards that only kickstarters with fat wallets will have... I'll put my money on Hearthstone's draft having more depth.

AstroZombie

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin
dailypledges.png

Pretty impressive.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Yes, especially considering how badly the KS page has been kept.... At one point all stretch goals had been reached and they spend more than a day without saying anything or posting new goals, but the money keept rising...

AstroZombie

Arcane
Yes, especially considering how badly the KS page has been kept.... At one point all stretch goals had been reached and they spend more than a day without saying anything or posting new goals, but the money keept rising...

e423e56b213178c74a981fc847fbaf7a_large.jpg

lol.

By the time they add new stretch goals they might've already been reached.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
That last card is red because at that point they have absolutly no idea on WTF they'll do. :P

But really, most stretch goals suck and offer nothing but more pay-to-win exclusive stuff for backers... of 8 stretch goals, only 3 had decent stuff for non-backers; the new cities, the crafting system and a new raid...

Guess this is the best example of why Vault Dweller hates stretch goals...

Destroid

Arcane
I am saddened at how much money this ugly p2w m:tg knock off is raising. Bizarre that it's mechanics are closer to m:tg than their WoW TCG.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Wow, this is insane, they are almost at 1M already, this way they'll reach every one of their 15 stretch goals in less than half the KS duration...

They sure know how to milk people, the AVERAGE donation is $148! Cearly this is due their King Tier at $120, that offer so much stuff it's insane... 4 decks, 150(!) boosters, 13 KS exclusive cards... is like the game comes 100% beated.

IDtenT

Menace to sobriety!
Patron
South Africa; My pronouns are: Banal/Shit/Boring
So how exactly is the F2P going to work? Free starter deck? Can you earn cards during the MMO or do you have to buy new cards?

You guys talking about prices. This is nothing to MTG fans that have shelled out thousands of dollars every year for a new deck.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
So how exactly is the F2P going to work? Free starter deck? Can you earn cards during the MMO or do you have to buy new cards?
As far as I know yes, free starting deck + gain cards by playing. The big doubt is if playing and creating decks without paying is still fun, or a massive grind that we'll either make you buy cards or quit...

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
The big doubt is if playing and creating decks without paying is still fun, or a massive grind that we'll either make you buy cards or quit...
I think you already know the answer. It's a TCG. MMO. One implies being jew'd out of your money and the other implies massive grinding to be semi-competitive.

IDtenT

Menace to sobriety!
Patron
a) "In addition to the 300 cards available via the PVE campaign, there are over 350 cards to use in Set 1 which you can win in tournaments or find in Booster Packs."
b) "Constructed tournaments don’t require packs to participate in (unlike drafts), so they are typically cheaper to enter."

To me that implies that a) PvE content is freely gained, but separate to PvP cards/content and b) that all PvP tournaments will have cost attached to them. That is, you cannot gain the actual TCG component cards during free gameplay. Not sure what this says for gems and gear.

I wonder how they'll rebalance shit when things go wonky - which it will. I'm pretty sure they won't want to go down the editions route.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Should be doable just like a regular MMO, "Patch note: Increased Card X's cost from 3 to 4"... I see no reason why they should leave the game broken until a further edition or such...

IDtenT

Menace to sobriety!
Patron
Should be doable just like a regular MMO, "Patch note: Increased Card X's cost from 3 to 4"... I see no reason why they should leave the game broken until a further edition or such...
People will rage when their super awesome (and not just rare) card gets patched.

I must however say that this $4 a month sub model isn't bad. And that's for 60 new cards. I wonder if there will be a cash auction/trading (It is part of the name after all) for the PvP cards. - Edit: Answered yes on their forum.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
People will rage, no matter what. I doubt they will have as much playest as MTG has, so some shitty cards and OP combos WILL appear, and failing to nerf them would be a huge mistake... nothing is more boring than seeing everyone with the same cards and playing the same way.

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
This looks decent. Should be a pretty good replacement for drug addiction. Thanks, felipepepe!

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Actually, it seems like is the full game... might be a bit of prejudice on my side, but won't this require some...simplification of the core game?

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Actually, it seems like is the full game... might be a bit of prejudice on my side, but won't this require some...simplification of the core game?
No? It's a card game, I don't see how an iOS port would require any change in gameplay. Only problem is if they decide to use the same UI for both plataforms, expect fuckhueg buttons everywhere.

Frusciante

Cipher
Project: Eternity
It's M:TG clone and it clearly has some pay2win elements to it. But this is just impossible for me to resist. I especially like this:

http://hextcg.com/the-krakens-lair/

Sparing the captain or not, your own troops being eaten by sea monsters and gone form your deck for the rest of the duneons etc. I just love it.

Going to back this for 20$ or 35$.

Idiott

Arcane
In its current state it's essentially MTGO with graphics that don't look like they're straight from 90s. So far there are only 272 PVP cards implemented out of 351 (277 out of 356 counting resources) and No PVE elements at all so it still has a long way to go... Whole interface feels very barebone, there are many QoL feeatures still missing that are supposedly to be added later and most of the mechanics are virtually identical to MTG, just with different names. The biggest difference is that there are no auras, and all the permanent buffs and debuffs affect the card until the end of game. So if your 1/1 creature was changed into 3/3 and killed, it will still be 3/3 when you somehow get it back from graveyard to play.

For the new stuff, there are hero powers which cost charges to use and you get charges by playing resources. Some of them are pretty useless, like diamond power that gives you 5 cost 3/3 troop in your hand. There are some new mechanics, like escalation - after playing escalation card you shuffle it back into your deck and all cards with the same name get increased effect, and new card effects that being digital allows them to do, like choosing random cards for certain effects. You can put gems in certain cards for extra effects, but whole socketing UI is a placeholder and no restrictions apply. Balance is still out of whack (example), probably due to many cards missing. Colors feel just like their counterparts from MTG.

At least it's stable for an alpha, so far it hasn't crashed and almost all problems were server related.

Last edited:

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I like the ideia of "raiding" against a powerful enemy on a TCG battle... it will require completly different decks and strategy.

Online card games have done it before. I haven't read about this game not sure if it's anything innovative.
Not really sure you could redesign raiding for a card game. It'd still be gather a bunch of people and take down big monster / group of monsters.

You guys talking about prices. This is nothing to MTG fans that have shelled out thousands of dollars every year for a new deck.

I've seen free card games that give everybody a starter deck and let you earn cards through playing (although free cards never make you competitive in pvp).

Then they offer other missions / quests / competitions that you need the purchased decks to enter.

I wouldn't mind playing a completely free online card game, I wonder if there are any out there (legitimate or not).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom