Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

High IQ Games

Young_Hollow

Liturgist
Although I've never played it, I think the new Starwars Battlefront II shooter by DICE and EA is the most apt game for the discerning high IQ gamer. It encapsulates such elements as making real world competence secondary and allows the naturally superior high IQ gamers to rise to the top without having to slog through such brainlet activities like being actually competent. What do our resident high IQ folks think?

Cosmic Bane

Educated
In general all the old RPGs and strategy games where you might actually fail to win. Wiz series, dragon wars, space quest, leisure suit larry...all these were like an IQ test where if you were an idiot you would not even get out of the starter areas.

And that is what really ruined gaming, stupid people became able to afford computers and all the games had to be easy and simple enough for low IQ morons to play (or even play themselves) or else they did not think they were maximizing their dollar potential. Of course they never seem to take into account that 'niche' gamers are a lot easier and cheaper to make a big seller that sells hundreds of thousands or even a million copies than a generic OMG SO COOL game designed to appeal to every retard because everyone is trying to do that already and spending billions on it.

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
expand_dong_18__undertale_by_bonzi_m8-d9ueou1.png

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
gta vice city. the best-written game of all time and people don't appreciate it cuz it's silly and the music gets all the attention. high IQ gamers such as ourselves can truly appreciate this masterpiece and of course we rank it way higher than any other gta game.

Teepo

Scholar
dungeon crawl stone soup

you have to click potions to heal yourself when you get poisoned

Norfleet

Pretty sure the point of the game is to have fun/compete against your peers, not to be better than a computer built specifically to play the game.
What are you saying? You want your opponents to SCALE TO YOUR LEVEL? What kind of shit decline is this? The point of the game is to WIN, to defeat the BEST, to BE the best. Opponents that scale to your level is scrub shit.

Sooner or later a computer will be better than a human at doing everything, so whats the point of anything by that logic?
That's when you become a cyborg in to keep up.

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
I guess it's silly to brandish any game high-iq. But what games made me feel more enlightened or made me think? Eh... well, how about games that I didn't feel stupider after playing?

1. I think a case could be made for playing un-spoilered Legend of Grimrock II. They used every f-ing puzzle with stones, weights, and pulleys ever devised. Solving the ones that actually made sense gave me an uplift. Taking apart the spartan clues to figure something out was at least rewarding the first 300 times. The next 4,000... not so much.
2. Deus Ex. Just actually made you think a bit. Not physics deep, but uh... Area 51/Illuminati deep.
3. Eh, I'll just say it: The Witcher. No, not high-iq, but I really liked the ending which really tied up the whole damn game up nicely and made me think about all the parts after I was complete.

Other than that, while it's fun to play games and learn a bit at the same time, I usually play to relax. More of a form of meditation than an active mental activity. While it would be nice to play an intelligent game once in a while, 99% of the time so-called intelligent games are pretentious junk.

valcik

Arcane
Quadrax
Old Slovak game created by Cauldron, with rules easy to understand and many levels hard to overcome.
Start with Quadrax IV in order to get your neural synapses heated up a little, Quadrax V is only for hard-boiled geeks.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Does he mean high IQ as requiring high IQ to play, or of high artistic value that require thinking to understand?

High brain is: Eador Genesis
Dungeon Crawl original.
RecceTear single playtrough (aka no NG+).
Patrician III.
Disciples.

More intellectual stuff is:
The Longest Journey.
Zeno Clash.
Dark Souls.
Pathologic.
Void.
E.Y.E.
Okami.

I don't want to mention old games, because they didn't have theirs licence changed into freeware, and they look really horribly on current screens.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Pretty good list in OP but I'd add Deadly Premonition and remove Quake 2 as it lacks the imagination of Quake 1.

Unwanted

Biff Tannen

Unwanted
true story, people used to play chess on the computer. Hard to believe these days, but it's true.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom