Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

HITMAN 2 - the new NON-episodic Hitman game

Vibalist

Arcane
The soundtrack in NuHitman is just sort of... bland. The above track is more ambience than a regular song. Nothing memorable about it.

Master

Arbiter
The track is ok but sounds more like its from Alpha Protocol or some modern spy movie than from a Hitman game. Dunno but Hitman tracks were always their own thing. Still i find it hard to believe someone would rage over of all things great stuff such as early Hitman games ambiance music.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
The issue was it generally wasn't ambient, that first song was just pure trash and it droned on way too long with a very simplistic beat making it feel like some fucking MK Ultra activation sound, making it more annoying than easy to listen to, and when the OST was ambient like it was in the second track it was too ambient but it fit pretty well into the game when it played (basically just the sewers in some of the Russia levels). The first one droned on too long and it was annoying, I didn't like hearing it because when I replayed a mission again and again and again as I do in Hitman games, it was something I didn't want to listen to. This is why I liked Hitman BM more in general, the music wasn't blasting away all the time and it only started when you assassinated one of your targets or initiated combat, although there was that violin music track you get after killing one of the targets which gets especially annoying after you hear it the infinite amount of times.
Anyway this is autism but my point is that Hitman 2016's OST was never something I wanted to mute and I never found it plain annoying. The way how it was transitional and reacted to your gameplay was done far better too.

Master

Arbiter
First track is pretty ambiental bro... I listen it all the time. I wouldnt say it drones, it actually builds up from simple, slow and relaxed to more complex, faster and kinda feverish, like it conveys 47 starting out in the open where he can go anywhere at his own pace but then entering more closed and focused areas where he has to think and react fast; 47 focusing and closing in on the Don more and more. Then it climaxes and returns to the simple beat from the start - 47 finishes the mission and returns to the start/exit point. That beat thats present throughout the track gets more and more surrounded by background; this could be 47s hearthbeat thats always staying constant in evermore escalating circumstances, the beat is basically 47 himself moving through the level.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
Whatever, maybe you do. I like electronic ambient but I just don't like Kyd's style in that game. He's made a ton of great music but I feel that Hitman 2 kinda flopped when it came to it at least for me because it felt a bit simplistic, slow and very trance-y.

Master

Arbiter
Ok but i feel thats how it should be in these games, simple, slow and trance like. I mean thats how the games are arent they? They shouldnt go all out, at least not all the time. It might sound good but it wouldnt fit. Whats the point though? Game(new one) sucks, and not even Jesper doing music wouldve helped there...

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
Ok but i feel thats how it should be in these games, simple, slow and trance like. I mean thats how the games are arent they?
No, not really considering Hitman is about freedom. If you play Hitman as a shooter the music should react to it. Also, the older Hitman games had the issue of a lack of unique music, there was (IIRC) 1 unique combat track in Blood Money and hearing this shit every single time you get caught, it gets tiring rather fast.
They shouldnt go all out, at least not all the time.
This is why it doesn't. Hitman 2016's OST is similarly just ambient if you don't initiate combat with slight changes depending on if you entered a new zone, completed an objective or found a target. Showstopper, what I linked you, is 3 or 4 stages of the song that only play depending on situation you are in game, it starts off with the mission start, goes into stealth/exploration, detected/searching and full combat and then back to normalcy. But Hitman 2016's OST is something that works in tandem with the game and I feel that as music for the GAME above all it does the best job of any of the others in probably the entire series.
Game(new one) sucks, and not even Jesper doing music wouldve helped there...
Have you played it? Cause as someone who has played all of the games and completed all of them other than C47 and Contracts (cause the first sucks and the second doesn't run), it's probably my second favorite. Would be my favorite if the story was a whole and not something you get closure on 2 years after release.
Silent Assassin had lots of tracks that weren't ambient or trance-y:
True, but the issue was that it was again just orchestral that I've heard for the rest the series plenty of times. It wasn't bad what so ever, but while 'generic orchestral soundtrack' wasn't overdone back then it sure as hell is today and I am quite tired of hearing it.
Relistening to the HM3 OST, I feel like he did a really good job on that game, far better than HM2 at least.

Master

Arbiter
Lets just agree to disagree on this... But, calling H2 orchestral pieces "generic"? They are some of the best videogame music, ever. The main theme? Japanese missions? 47 picking up his suit and guns? This is just pure awesome shit, NeoHitman can only dream of achieving that level of badass.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
Main theme was meh, it was okay but not spectacular. Japanese missions had great OST, his best work in the game. Suit and guns was also fine, not spectacular.
Contracts was better IMO. I liked the grittier, darker electronic style a lot more.

Last edited:

Master

Arbiter
Damn. Would it kill them to put some style and atmosphere in this game? Some rain at least?
And can this woman that briefs you be any more lifeless? She sounds more like she's advertising the contract to 47 than sending him on a dangerous mission.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
A bit about live service: https://www.usgamer.net/articles/hitman-2s-single-release-means-more-varied-post-launch-content

Hitman 2's Single Release Means "More Varied" Post-Launch Content
The change in release means that there will be more challenges and contracts coming your way.

When Hitman 2 was announced, some fans were dismayed that it was going to be a complete release, instead of the episodic model of the first game. All of the game modes players enjoyed in the first game will be back for the sequel though, including Elusive Targets, Contracts, and Challenges. Hitman 2 Executive Producer Markus Friedl explained that the single release will help with post-launch content.

"Hitman is a fully-fledged sequel. We decided to release the main game day-and-date," said Friedl. "What that means is that player can experience the story and main game at their own pace. But what it also means is that we can provide much more varied live content right after launch. It can be more varied from day one because we have the entire buffet of locations available already."

The E3 2018 demo is set in Miami, Florida in the middle of a large race event, but Hitman 2 will launch with a total of six levels, all available to players on day one. More levels will be coming post-launch. Officially release documents have pointed to other region types, including a rainforest, but Friedl declined to answer questions about other locations outside of the demo.

"I can't really elaborate on any of the other locations today other than Miami, but we will visit a lot of interesting places, I can promise you that. Places that you have not seen before in a Hitman game," said Friedl.

Hitman 2 is coming to PC, Xbox One, and PlayStation 4 on November 13, 2018.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
I kinda like the professional tone.

On another note, I am playing through Hitman Contracts right now, and it's super good. Far more fun than Silent Assassin because the disguise system doesn't eat dick and you can walk past people without them screaming YAME YAME or some shit. I think the contracts disguise system might just be the best in the series, since unlike Blood Money it's possible to actually get caught and unlike 2016 you don't have to crouchwalk and coverslide past enforcers who instadetect you. I like that the scoring system in Hitman SA and 3 allowed you to kill one enemy and still get Silent Assassin rating. The snipers are ABSOLUTE BULLSHIT though. I walk into a barn disguised as a guard, and this fucking sniper just shoots me on sight for no reason and 1 hit kills me. I had to snipe him with my ballers to pass that mission. I had a similarly bad situation in Bjarkhov Bomb, where I killed the general completely silently without alerting anyone, and when I was escaping the mission after doing all the rest and going into the tunnel, the sniper somehow managed to notice me a billion miles away, blow my disguise and force me to run and gun my way out. I don't know why or how he even targeted me, considering that I was using a disguise he had never even seen me in before. Also not a fan how alerting works, if you alert and kill someone without a single gunshot (like them seeing you pull out the wire) guards will somehow be able to get to the exact position I killed the target at, while at other times the guards are completely blind, deaf and retarded when I unload my loud pistols in a high security zone at the targets and they won't even come near me when I was the only other person in the room.
Love the gunplay though, the guns feel loud, powerful and accurate as they should.

Master

Arbiter
Contracts disguising is just a bit too lax for me... SA is still the best and only one that will make you into a goddamn sexual (frustrated) tyrannosaurus.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
Contracts disguising is just a bit too lax for me... SA is still the best and only one that will make you into a goddamn sexual (frustrated) tyrannosaurus.
I don't agree with that at all. SA disguises were essentially pointless, and in a game about disguises and stealth it was an antifun mechanic.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
From the Miami level walkthrough it was pretty disappointing to see bodies still don't leave trail when you drag them through a blood pool, or even without dragging them through a blood pool.

Do guards at least react to blood pools? This was a feature of the AI in Thief The Dark Project ffs.

Master

Arbiter
It was a feature in Blood Money too. Just general decline I guess.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
"It was an antifun mechanic."
:whatisfun:
What is fun is the ultimate question, but I certainly know what's not fun, and that's basing your game around disguises and then making them useless and having everyone detect you if you walk past them.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom