Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Hitman: Absolution

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
For me the disguise system completely ruined the Hitman game. Had it not been for the disguises, I might actually have enjoyed the game slightly. I just couldn't stand being forced into a certain playstyle, namely a cover-sneaker.

On the topic of Thief, I wouldn't bother playing any further. Some of the client missions feel like tiny Thief missions, but they're very short and overall not worth slogging through the main story missions for.

Cadmus

Arcane
I'm actually not so sure. I upgraded my PC and got a Thief code with my new GPU, so I tried it out. I played until chapter 4, I think. The main missions are shit and the gameplay is generally very shit, but there are a few redeeming features, such as the client missions being fun.

In the case of Hitman Absolution, I couldn't find a single redeeming quality.

Thief's poor level design ruins the entire game for me personally. I'm at the gates of mission three and having a real hard time convincing myself to load the game up again. In contrast I thought Hitman Absolution had some very good "Hitman moments" where it played like the classics, and the Splinter Cell rip-off stealth in between those moments isn't bad, it's just not Hitman.
Honestly, this completely depends on how much you value the franchise and how angry you get from seeing it completely destroyed in 1 silly game.

For example, I really, really like Thief, but I haven't even finished any of them, so a shit sequel doesn't hurt me much, I don't even feel the need to try it out actually, I just don't give a fuck.

For me the disguise system completely ruined the Hitman game. Had it not been for the disguises, I might actually have enjoyed the game slightly.

You just said you couldn't find a single redeeming quality in game, and then you go on to say you would've enjoyed it if not for a single aspect of it? :roll:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Honestly, this completely depends on how much you value the franchise and how angry you get from seeing it completely destroyed in 1 silly game.

Well isn't that always the way. I'm not an uber Hitman fan so I guess I just saw it as a middling game, rather than an offensive one.

BTW you should play Death to Spies: Moment of Truth if you haven't yet. It's better Hitman than Hitman.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
You just said you couldn't find a single redeeming quality in game, and then you go on to say you would've enjoyed it if not for a single aspect of it? :roll:

Because most of what I hated in the game stems from the disguise system. If the disguise system worked like it did in the old Hitman games, the game would have played and felt completely different.

SoupNazi

Let's put it this way: I usually manage to finish, and even have some fun with (despite incessant bitching under my breath) 99% of popamole games, but I gave up on Hitman: Abortion at the point where you infiltrate (?) some sort of a PMC guarded place (?). Never picked it up again, and even uninstalled. And this is a game I -bought-.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Let's put it this way: I usually manage to finish, and even have some fun with (despite incessant bitching under my breath) 99% of popamole games, but I gave up on Hitman: Abortion at the point where you infiltrate (?) some sort of a PMC guarded place (?). Never picked it up again, and even uninstalled. And this is a game I -bought-.

Yeah that part was pretty terrible. If you don't like simple Splinter Cell ripoff stealth segments then this game is hard to play. And none of that shit should be in a Hitman game.

Vibalist

Arcane
It's not that bad. Some stupid design decisions and too much focus on terrible story but still more interesting to play than most console releases. New Thief, however, is absolutely horrid.

A year from now: "Thief is not that bad. Some stupid design decisions and too much focus on terrible [whatever] but still more interesting to play than most console releases. New [franchise raping AAA game], however, is absolutely horrid."

I seriously don't know if we have terrible memories or if each new game is just so fucking horrid it makes the preceding AAA games seem good in comparison.

This has nothing to do with memory. It's how I felt when I played it when it first released and it's how I feel now that I'm giving it one more run. Game is a solid 6/10.

dunno lah

Arcane

Wait...so is this mission like conventional stealth infil or the "sneak through japanese mountains and assassinate someone"? Coz I personally don't mind the latter.

sexbad?

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014

Wait...so is this mission like conventional stealth infil or the "sneak through japanese mountains and assassinate someone"? Coz I personally don't mind the latter.
the former

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
It's Splinter Cell. The game alternates Splinter Cell gameplay and Hitman gameplay, back and forth.

SoupNazi

Except Splinter Cell is much better at being Splinter Cell. As in, actually good.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
It's not that bad. Some stupid design decisions and too much focus on terrible story but still more interesting to play than most console releases. New Thief, however, is absolutely horrid.

A year from now: "Thief is not that bad. Some stupid design decisions and too much focus on terrible [whatever] but still more interesting to play than most console releases. New [franchise raping AAA game], however, is absolutely horrid."

I seriously don't know if we have terrible memories or if each new game is just so fucking horrid it makes the preceding AAA games seem good in comparison.

Rationalization processes kick in, Dilbert-stye.

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
Started playing this and loving it. A bit different than the previous Hitman games, but still a ton of fun. The visuals are outstanding (must've been the best looking game of 2012), the cinematics, presentation, everything is top notch. Gameplay is very similar but with some changes and additions which are all welcome. Great game so far.

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
I've played four Hitman games which are all more or less identical in terms of play (1, 2, Contracts, Blood Money).

I'm happy Absolution introduced some changes to the formula. Game feels more fluid, I like the new moves and interactions, the area by area progression is ok (not sure if there are true sandbox levels later on), the instinct feature is great (and can be disabled if you wish), i like how many objectives/achievements there are for each level, and there are all the standard Hitman things as well.

You people love hating games just for the sake of it.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
possibly_retarded.png

15217.jpg

SwiftCrack

Arcane
I've played four Hitman games which are all more or less identical in terms of play (1, 2, Contracts, Blood Money).

I'm happy Absolution introduced some changes to the formula. Game feels more fluid, I like the new moves and interactions, the area by area progression is ok (not sure if there are true sandbox levels later on), the instinct feature is great (and can be disabled if you wish), i like how many objectives/achievements there are for each level, and there are all the standard Hitman things as well.

xJY6Uk3.png

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
Implying that this is the majority of the game. I enjoy a thing called variety.

Vibalist

Arcane

Without being a game dev, I've always held that making a good sequel to any game is about evolving the gameplay elements that are already there, and not about changing them so they become something enitrely different.
If you want to play something different than the previous four titles, play something that isn't Hitman.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom