Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

HITMAN, the new episodic Hitman - GOTY Edition

Vibalist

Arcane

This video is very interesting, especially because IOI apparantly wanted to release the game in two parts and Square Enix decided it should ship as seven instead. One can only imagine what sales would have looked like without the DRM and if IOI had been allowed to release chunks of the game how they saw fit.

He's also sort of right that HitmanTM is one of the only games good enough to get away with all of this bullshit. It really is an excellent stealth game that got ruined by all the circumstances sorrounding it.

Archibald

Arcane
When SE will shut down IO or sell it servers will go along with it as no one will want to keep servers for service that doesn't produce ROI.

So you won't even be able to play it in few months let alone wait for sale.

Not sure whats your point here since it doesn't have anything to do with what I posted.

Sentinel

Arcane
Never. He already confirmed he's the chosen one that got picked to stay at IO-I to lead them to glory and fight off the weebs.

PowerTorment

Io-Interactive
Patron
Developer
"Unemployed" Tag for PowerTorment...when?

Zep--

Not. I still have a job.

Anyway, to those people here saying that HITMAN was split into 6 episodes because we had to release something earlier or because we ran out of money - I can say that is not true. Releasing in episodes is harder and more complicated. We did it - like most TV shows - to get more attention over time instead of making a single big splash.

Volrath

Arcane
Patron

Zep--

Not. I still have a job.

Anyway, to those people here saying that HITMAN was split into 6 episodes because we had to release something earlier or because we ran out of money - I can say that is not true. Releasing in episodes is harder and more complicated. We did it - like most TV shows - to get more attention over time instead of making a single big splash.
You guys actually went full retard on purpose. At least tell me your marketing department was the most affected with the layoffs.

Deleted member 7219

Zep--

Not. I still have a job.

You guys actually went full retard on purpose. At least tell me your marketing department was the most affected with the layoffs.

Marketing wouldn't have made the decision though.

Paul_cz

Arcane
Not. I still have a job.

It is funny, when the episodic release was announced, I thought exactly this, that since there would be 6 launches instead of one, the game would get much more attention, magazines would write about every episode as it comes out, there would be attention on it every month for half a year at least...so I was even somewhat positive about it from "hopefully it will sell better" perspective eventhough personally it annoyed me since I hate episodic game releases and always wait for full game. I then even bought "full experience" when only Paris was out, because I saw the pitiful steamspy numbers (it was around 80K at that time) and I wanted to support my favourite assassin and its company, even if it meant waiting extra 6 months for the full game to come out.

But somehow even the extra press attention spread over that long time did not translate into sales, I guess there are too many people among hitman fans like me who dislike/distrust episodic releasing and/or online requirements.

Anyway, now that the game is finished and I am playing it (just started thailand), I gotta say it is brilliant, although one thing in particular is sorely missing - Jesper Kyd - the music in Hitman 2016 is like something from James Bond movie, and eventhough that might have been intentional, I gotta say the classic Hitman atmosphere is simply not present, which sucks. Less dynamic music and more classic Jesper Kyd for season 2 (or preferably game 2 with no episodic release) would be welcome.

And would be nice to see online requirements removed and elusive targets to be made available to all, even if only as a one time hit. I want to kill (or attempt to) Gary Busey but cannot since I wanted to wait for "full game"...

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor

Zep--

Not. I still have a job.

Episodic games are, have been, and will always be shit. The only release people pay attention to is the initial release and it only hurts when you release one/sixth of a game because people are almost certainly going to give you a mediocre review. After that whatever you do in terms of later 'episodes' will either be mostly ignored by the major gaming 'press' or viewed from the standpoint of 'well, let's see if they've made up for their lackluster original release.' Once the full season is released the only sales you're getting are from 50% off or more steep discounts.

Games are not a television series. Television series are produced that way to maximize advertising dollars for networks.
(there's also stuff like syndication later on down the line). And the on-line/Netflix/Amazon stuff? No surprise it's released all at once so people can binge-watch and then give a full impression of a season so word of mouth will prompt other people to sub to Netflix or buy it on iTunes or whatever.

Episodic gaming is shit shit shitty shit shit shit shitty shit. It sort of made sense back in the shareware days of the 80's when some companies didn't have massive revenue pouring in and/or weren't backed by publishers. It only reared its ugly head again when Telltale figured out they could put zero effort into their not-game visual novels, masquerade them as 'adventure games' and sell it to the unwashed millennial masses who don't know wtf constitutes an adventure game.

If you/IO have any say in how the next 'season' is released then do yourselves a huge favor: don't make it episodic.

Cadmus

Arcane
If you/IO have any say in how the next 'season' is released then do yourselves a huge favor: don't make it episodic.

I don't have a say in this, sorry.
Dude did you guys ever stop to think that for all this talk about the "experience" there is really much less of an "experience" in your game than in the previous ones? I mean, it's a hassle to play the game and immerse yourself in it. At least for me.
the whole bussiness model makes it a busy work to find out what I should buy and when.

I completely despise any DRM and you have an always Online which is guaranteed to fuck up the game at some point and you know it. I understand you are a business so you have to go around saying retarded, insane shit like "it's for the best because we can always track/update/improve the player experience" but you and I both know it's not true.
I need to update the game at your will because of DRM
I need to rush to the PC on time to play your idea of timed assasination fun.
I need to turn off HUD elements, making the game not play properly like the old ones.
The music kinda sucks. The dynamic aspect of it works nice but the music itself is shit-tier movie schlock compared to Kyd's work and EVERYBODY will tell you that, I'm not making an edgy hyperbole. Did you guys ever give a reason for this change? Doubt it's money, it's probably nobody gave a shit and thought they knew better what the game needed to make it more hip or something.

I'm being sincere btw, I know I shit on the game a lot but that's because I want to have a nice game to play and I love the series.
So take me, an example of old hitman fan and you piss me off with all these things. And I mean seriously make me not want to touch the game. And you build your whole marketing on "x-perience". Your idea of experience is the complete opposite of mine! I wanna buy a nice, FINISHED, game and play it at my leisure in a dark room, immerse myself in it, have all the things I like and more things I will start to like and have a good time. You gave me a timed, half shit sandwich, full of busywork and restrictions, fuck that.
Looking at the sales, I suspect I'm not alone in considering one of the above points as important, despite you saying we are idiots and don't know how the business is done and that everything is great and live and amazing.

ColonelTeacup

Liturgist

Zep--

Not. I still have a job.

Sounds retarded to me. The marketing budget required to get enough attention for each consecutive episode would be way too high compared to having to do it only once if it'd been released all at once. Not to mention the stigma against episodic content. Your bosses went full retard.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Episodic games are, have been, and will always be shit. The only release people pay attention to is the initial release and it only hurts when you release one/sixth of a game because people are almost certainly going to give you a mediocre review. After that whatever you do in terms of later 'episodes' will either be mostly ignored by the major gaming 'press' or viewed from the standpoint of 'well, let's see if they've made up for their lackluster original release.' Once the full season is released the only sales you're getting are from 50% off or more steep discounts.

I do recall Hitman's episode releases getting a good amount of (positive) press attention though. I posted some of it in this thread so you can see for yourself. The question is more whether consumers paid attention to the press.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
http://www.ioi.dk/store-changes-hitman/

Store Changes for HITMAN

In the coming weeks, we will be making changes to the options for purchasing HITMAN digitally. These changes have been planned since early March and will make it easier and simpler to buy the game. Our intention is to make ‘The Complete First Season’ the default option for new players to buy the game, now that all of the episodes have been released. Additionally, these changes will help us to lay the foundations for our future plans for HITMAN.

We are announcing these changes today, to make sure that existing players are fully aware of their options and to give a fair amount of time before these changes come into effect.

Here’s the core of the changes:
In approximately 2 weeks time, The ‘Intro Pack’ and ‘Upgrade Pack’ will be removed from digital stores and will no longer be available for purchase.

As the HITMAN pages on digital storefronts will look a little different in 2 weeks, here’s what to expect on each platform:

Steam: After the changes, Intro Pack owners will be able to purchase ‘The Complete First Season’ and only pay for the episodes that they do not already own. Essentially, Steam will detect which episodes you have already purchased and only charge you for the ones you do not own. Individual episodes will no longer be available for purchase.

Xbox One: After the changes, Intro Pack owners will be able to purchase ‘The Complete First Season’ at a reduced price. Essentially, the price of the ‘Intro Pack’ will be taken off the price of ‘The Complete First Season’ and you will pay the difference. Individual episodes will remain available for purchase.

PS4: After the changes, Intro Pack owners will be able to purchase ‘The Complete First Season’ at the standard price. Individual episodes will remain available for purchase.

These changes do not affect anyone who purchased the Complete First Season on disc, nor do they affect any existing digital purchases. If you already own either ‘The Complete First Season’ or the ‘Upgrade Pack’, these changes will not affect you.

We’ve set-up a dedicated thread on the Hitman Subreddit about these changes, specifically so that our Community Team can reply to questions or any edge-cases.

/ Travis

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Prologue will be available for free in about 2 hours (6pm CEST): http://steamcommunity.com/games/236870/announcements/detail/2574219120186500379

Try HITMAN for FREE

87519a6cef216bd96637b4a2be8f8cb5ba6f2adc.png

[The Free download will be on Steam in a few hours, at approx 6pm CEST.]

This is big news: We’re making the first location in HITMAN free to download for everyone!

“I’m proud to announce that our first hello as an independent studio is to invite all gamers to play the beginning of HITMAN for free. There is a lot of love out there for HITMAN and with this offering we hope that many more will fall in love with the game. We believe that this is Hitman at its best. So jump in and give a try.” – Hakan Abrak, CEO Io-Interactive.

The ICA Facility will be available as a free download on PS4, Xbox One and PC starting today – and we’re extremely excited to see more players try the game. The download includes absolutely everything that we’ve released for that location; two story missions (including all cut-scenes), two Escalation Contracts, more than 40 challenges, 17 achievements and trophies, plus thousands of player-created missions in Contracts Mode – all of that is now available completely free of charge.

Players who download the ICA Facility for free will be able to keep all of their progress when they upgrade to the full game – plus we’ve lined up some discounts on the full game to make this a great time to buy. We’re talking up to 60% off on some platforms!

If you’ve already played HITMAN, thank you for supporting us! If you want to help us spread the word, Hitman.com/free is the link to share with friends and family. There are also discounts on the Bonus Episode and Requiem Pack, so take a look at the store to see if there’s more Hitman content waiting for you there.

/ Travis

why desperate? there's a lot of people who refused to buy it because of the episodic, because of denuvo, because of square, because of whatever reason you can come up with. without resorting to exdended demos, this is the chance to try it and have a feel.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom