Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

HITMAN, the new episodic Hitman - GOTY Edition

Dzupakazul

Arbiter
Have you never played Hitman 2?
Yes, and it's not a corridor sneaker. Hitman 2 disguise system actually allows you to pass guards without relying on some weird mana (which often makes segments a game of "expend all your mana to walk from point A to point B, point B often being your mana refill in form of Evidence", which just isn't good gameplay, especially when it might mean the game forcing you to do silly arbitrary stuff to gain mana back, such as subduing and stashing people in boxes for no reason other than +Instinct), instead it rewards careful movement and positioning, and you get a certain sense of what is risky and what isn't. A random soldier, you can usually pass by - look away from him and keep him at a wide angle. A narrow doorway with 2-3 people on each corner - be careful and calculate the risk.
Hitman 2 also has quite a few linear levels
Early Hitman games suffer from that weird IOI syndrome where they insist on putting one big, open level (or a story arc), which always ends up being bland, empty, and overall poorly designed. Codename 47 had the entire Colombian arc, Silent Assassin had the mid-Japanese levels and all the duds like Tubeway Torpedo, Contracts has Bjarkhov Bomb which is certainly the least replayable mission in that game.
Nevertheless, even the linear levels of Hitman 2 allow for more freedom than most levels in Absolution. Mostly by the virtue of the little things such as actually being able to choose your loadout and close the doors behind you (which is the most headscratchingly absent feature from Absolution). Hitman 2 lets you do stuff like slicing a limousine passenger with a Katana or eliminating your target by dragging them in front of a bus, or scoring a double kill in a single knife swing - if only because it's delightfully buggy and unrestrained.

Also the cover system in Absolution is retardedly arbitrary and neglects common sense. You can be hiding behind an obstacle from which you can SEE you aren't fully covered, but it's okay, because the magic cover button is on the case. Or you can think you're fully covered but that isn't the case because you didn't press it. And the motion of going in and out of cover feels clunky and can sometimes get you stuck and killed. In some cases it lets you clip through walls and reach the exit through a much safer route, Velvet Assassin style.

Now that I think of it, that whole game is basically a Copperfield simulator. You can do stuff like throwing knives through walls because the cover system doesn't check properly for your position when you're throwing something in certain more slopey areas, you have Guybrush Threepwood/Mark Hopper's pants to pack rifles in, you have something akin to a disguise-based Sanctuary spell, you can shoot any part of a vehicle in your magic mode and it explodes (really trivializes levels like Welcome to Hope) and it's overall too Awesome Buttonish.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Hitman Interview: “The Aspiration Is To Build The Perfect Hitman Game”

hitman1.jpg

The Hitman [official site] trailer shown at E3 gave a promising tease for a game which is provoking anxiety as well as anticipation. The sentiment I’ve heard echoing through editorials and comment sections boils down to “more Blood Money, less Absolution, please” but IO Interactive’s creative director, Christian Elverdam hopes to marry the best of both games, distilling them to find the essence of Hitman. Eau d’Assassin, perhaps?

“We’re trying to distil the essence of [Hitman],” Elverdam tells me. “We’ve been doing Hitman for fifteen years and we felt we had a chance now to try to build… I wouldn’t say the perfect hitman game, but the aspiration is to build the perfect Hitman game.”

We’re sitting in a little room at the back of the Square Enix booth a little removed from the scrum of the E3 show floor. Elverdam is about to take Agent 47 to a Parisian fashion show in an enormous mansion – possibly an art gallery. It’s at this swanky gathering that you’ll attempt to find a way to take out a gentleman by the name of Viktor Novikov.

“There’s a lot of legacy,” says Elverdam of the franchise. “When we looked at a game like Hitman Blood Money we had a very big sandbox game with a lot of freedom and this general promise that all missions are going to be hit missions. You’re a hitman; it’s why you’re there in the first place. That’s something we felt was a good starting point. With Absolution we felt we came quite far in building these living worlds. NPCs in our game are quite advanced. They can talk about a lot of stuff they see – they’re generally very talkative about everything. We wanted to keep that detail even if we went bigger, which in itself is a bit of a challenge.”

He adds that in Absolution the studio felt they had good controls, a good core that they could use. “What we’re basically saying is: imagine if you take the best parts of Absolution and marry them to the best parts of Blood Money. That’s the essence of the game we are building […] Mood-wise or tone-wise it’s a bit more mature and a little more modern. We also talk about Agent 47 being in his absolute prime, hunting these high profile targets. really powerful targets, across the globe. We felt that, looking back, one of the beautiful things is the feeling you can go anywhere. The world is basically 47’s oyster and he’s just waiting for contracts on high profile targets to come in.”

Hence the fashion show and hence Viktor Novikov.

Novikov’s public profile pegs him as an oligarch – the billionaire owner of a fashion label. But the contract you’re taking care of relates to his behind-the-scenes activities as a part of the spy ring, IAGO. IAGO is about to compromise a number of covert operatives and thus you are tasked with taking out Novikov.

As the level begins you see a journalist – “Lindsay Le Couer???” is what my notes have her named as – doing a piece to camera next to an ornate fountain. Elverdam explains that she’s meeting the target later in a subplot 47 could take advantage of if he (or you) were so inclined. We switch to debug mode and Elverdam sails around the space pointing out little outbuildings where you could stash equipment or weapons so as to avoid being asked awkward questions like “Why do you have that sniper rifle slung across your back, then?”

We glide inside and through the party crowd. There’s a fabulously well-stocked bar on one side of the ballroom and I recall the conference footage from a previous day where an Agent 47 in a bartender outfit mixes and serves a lethal cocktail to the target before slipping away. An intentionally stark contrast to the axe to the stomach in full view of everyone which was also part of that footage.

hitman3.jpg

The fashion show is in another large room, with a catwalk upon which the models will strut. A backstage area is peppered with stylists, models and other associated people. You can become a stylist, Elverdam point out, marking another potential disguise (alongside waiters, security guards, crew member and so on) to help you carry out your dastardly deeds.

“Can 47 become one of the models?” I ask. I mean he’s a stylish man and I think Vogue is crying out for an editorial about barcode head tattoos to sit alongside their obituary for Novikov.

“At the moment you can’t. We really want that to happen but you can’t at the moment. We’re still debating what the rules would be for the model. The stylist is a bit easier to figure out.”

You also can’t impersonate your target despite your extensive dress-up skills. He’s simply too well known. “Why is Viktor Novikov not blonde anymore? Why is he bald?” says Elverdam, doing an impression of the in-game party guests’ potential reaction to 47 glamming it up as a famous Russian billionaire.

We only have a few minutes for this demo so we continue with the breakneck tour, past a speedboat which I earmark as a potential getaway route and a sniper vantage point in the gardens. Towards the foot of a staircase is a frisk zone where security will pat you down for weapons. You’ll get arrested if you’re caught carrying so you’ll need to find a way to bypass security if you want to take your contraband upstairs. Or you could just get through unarmed and improvise.

hitman5.jpg

Upstairs and away from the fashion show a secondary plot is unfolding. There’s a clandestine auction involving Novikov’s partner, Dahlia. Elverdam explains that the level felt big enough that it needed a secondary target, hence Dahlia. Secondary targets won’t just be confined to the Parisian fashion show but will appear in other levels too.

I ask whether the Paris contract is one of the biggest levels, trying to get a sense of the scale of the game and its missions. “This is one of the bigger levels but all levels are going to be very big,” says Elverdam. Later in the interview he mentions a play session in the studio’s home city of Copenhagen. In four hours of Paris playtime the attendees only completed the mission once or twice and none managed to become silent assassins.

“They didn’t find all the things they could do and none became silent assassins yet. There’s a lot of stuff you can do within Paris and the big point of Hitman is not so much about taking out Novikov but how you do it and finding all the different ways of doing it. That’s what I would say to people. It’s going to be a big game.”

One of the most intriguing aspects of this new Hitman game is the content delivery system. When we first heard about it Alice described it as sounding like a “strange mix of expansion, DLC, early access, and episodic ideas.” I ask Elverdam to explain in a bit more detail.

“We’re doing something bold and new. The basic idea was – when we talked about ‘What is this Hitman universe and what feels right?’ – we really like the idea that you travel the world and […] new missions will appear over time. So Diana will pop up and say ‘Hey 47 we’re going to Italy!’

hitman7.jpg

“What we’re basically saying at this point is we’ll have this Paris mission that we have talked about and hinted that there is an Italian location and there is an African location in Morocco and more after that. We’re obviously not talking about those yet.”

One of the ideas they can talk a little more about is the secret, time-limited targets:

“We could also have a secret target in [Paris] that only appears let’s say in the weekend. The plan is at the moment to say the only thing you’ll get is a portrait and you have to find him. It’s not like everyone is competing against each other. He’s live in your sandbox but the thing is he’s going to be gone in 48 hours and will never come back. There are going to be some unique challenges.

“What we expect to happen is that people will go to Twitch, they’ll start debating what’s going on, where’s he going, what are his habits in this level… Once you try to go for him that’s your one shot. If you kill him, he’s dead. If you killed him in a brutal, messy way that’s going to be the story of how he dies. If you do it silent assassin that’s perfect, that’s your shot. We really like this idea. No matter what – you’ve seen all the Twitch feeds, you’ve tried to do everything the experts are doing – now it’s you doing it.”

So it’s looking like a blend of solo and community play. The chance to discuss, to crib strategies, to learn from the failures of others and then, perhaps, attempt a silent assassination that culminates in a gory public blood bath disaster of your own.

“You have these locations that will appear over time and they’ll continue to have a lot of stuff going on. Also all these player-created contracts will be in there as well. The world will continue to grow and the story will move forward with each location. That’s my explanation. I don’t think there’s any model – if we had a simple word for it –”

Another gentleman who has been counting down the minutes until the interview is over chimes in at this point.

“Yes – please help us!”

hitman4.jpg

It wasn’t a serious request (not exactly, anyway) but I’ve come back to thinking about this several times since the interview. The process it most reminds me of is trying to learn something – maybe a dance routine – from practicing using YouTube videos, then going to perform it at the school dance show.

“People should feel like they’re taking part in this world as it happens, right?” Elverdam talks about players hopefully getting excited for new locations and events. “When you’re playing it you know people are playing alongside of you. The Hitman community talks about the stories – how did you do it? what happened?”

In terms of the pricing Elverdam assures me there’s no subscription fee attached to this ongoing development.

“It’s very simple. You pay the sixty bucks and that’s it. Then the levels will appear and have an overarching story that will conclude at some point. It’s very much akin to what you expect from any other game in terms of content and playtime. It’s a huge game – bigger than Absolution.”

Contract modes should also be live when the game ships and Elverdam adds that IO expect to find new ways to manipulate contracts and play with them. They want to listen to fans and keep a close eye on how they play as the game eolves – what they like and what they don’t like, or what they find and what they don’t find in the levels.

So will there be an early access element as part of that learning process? Elverdam is emphatic with his answer: No. When the game ships it will be the finished product. Well, as finished as you can get with an evolving, special event-peppered world…

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I still don't get what they mean unless they're just going to keep adding content/missions for free.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I still don't get what they mean unless they're just going to keep adding content/missions for free.
Sounds to me pretty much like an episodic type game, except they're not saying yet how many levels will eventually be released.

-----------------

As for the one-shot temporary missions, I'm extremely "meh". I hate the idea of watching 20 Twitch videos to try to decide my perfect plan and then fucking it up and not having a do-over. Even if I do it right after watching a bunch of people better than me do it, what's the fun in that? I hate walkthroughs in general. So what will end up happening is I'll just start the mission cold and blunder around and the target will get away every time and then I'll get annoyed and stop doing them altogether.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Didn't he say it would be 'complete' on release? Which isn't the case if it's episodic.

Adon

Arcane
What I get by 'complete' is that you'll get all that later content without having to pay anything beyond the initial price tag. Basically you pay for the whole game at the start, but it won't include all the missions yet, the rest will be released as time passes by, allowing them to listen to feedback and tweak gameplay or whatever is necessary for the next 'update'. That is if I'm understanding him correctly.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
So, incomplete! You still pay upfront for episodic games like Telltale's shit. Then watch as it goes on sale for 75% off before all of the episodes are released.

Mofleaker

Educated
Have to say, that reveal trailer was intruiging. I sang along with the BG music by huffing dorito dust.

upwardlymobile

forum posting consultant
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I wonder what the something very cool is
"a chance" is marketing-speak for we're never giving you anything

I was a big fan, I probably put in over 200 hours between the original and blood money (seriously I remember every inch of the hotel and theater missions even now), but after watching hitman & thief & deus ex get brutally raped over the years I'm not even going to follow this :hmmm:

Last edited:

Zombra

Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Blood Money was the high point of the series. As long as they're not name dropping that one at every opportunity I won't even bother following this.
This Christian Elverdam creative director guy actually won't shut up about Blood Money. I'm not saying the new game will be good, but dude is saying a lot of the right things. Check out some of the interviews above.

Zombra

Patron
HITMAN Q&A basically reiterating the "drip feed" structure of the release for anyone who still doesn't get it. Nothing about gameplay here.

How exactly are you releasing HITMAN?

We’re doing things a bit differently, as you may have read in our 'Announcing HITMAN' blog post. HITMAN will launch on PS4, Xbox One and PC on December 8th this year as a digital download. That’s when the experience will begin. And it’s really important to us that this is understood as a ‘beginning’.

What we release on December 8th is not the full game. It’s a sizeable chunk of it. Throughout 2016 we’ll release more locations and missions until the story arc is done and finished. All of that content is included in the $60 price.

We know that the specifics of exactly what is included on December 8th are very important to some of you. We’re finalizing those plans and look forward to sharing them with you. Stay tuned for more details on this.

Is HITMAN an ‘early access’ game?

No. Early access can often mean something unfinished or unpolished. That’s simply not the approach we’re taking. All of the content we release live to our players will be complete and polished, whether that’s the locations and missions we release on December 8th, the live events or the locations and missions that we will release in 2016. It will always be a polished Hitman experience.

Is HITMAN episodic now?

We think the word ‘episodic’ sets up the expectation that we will sell individual content drops for individual prices but that’s not something we're planning to do. That said, there are some episodic elements to the story in the sense that it’s delivered in chunks over time, so experiencing the story will probably feel episodic. But there is also a ton of other content including live events, which have nothing to do with the story. We’ll also be improving and changing the game constantly whilst you’re playing it. Our ambition is to have a stream of content available from December 8th until the story arc is finished.

The thing is, there isn’t really a term to describe what we’re doing. That’s why we’re calling it a ‘live’ experience because it feels like that’s what it is – something that lives, grows and evolves. This question was asked a lot at E3 and if anyone out there comes up with a brilliant term, please get in touch. Seriously.

What does it all cost? How much do I have to pay to experience everything?

The entire game will cost you $60 or the regional equivalent.

That $60 includes everything we create in this story arc; from what we release on December 8th through to the end of the story arc in 2016 and all the live events too. There’s no micro-transactions or hidden costs in there. No extra paid DLC on top either. It’s one package, all-in for $60. We want that to be simple and clear and it was important for us to be up-front about that.

Is HITMAN digital only?

No, we’re leading with digital, so it’s ‘digital first’. At some point in 2016, we’ll release the game on a disc.

Can I play HITMAN offline or do you have to be connected all the time?

You will be able to play the locations and missions offline. To play the live events, download updates or see things like leaderboards, you’ll need to be online.

Those are the questions that we’ve seen the most discussion around. We’re sure there will be more as what we’re doing here is new. It's a great feeling for us to read all of the discussions around a game that we're so passionate about making. Keep that conversation going. We’re listening.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
So... basically... it is Early Access and Episodic. 'GUIZ ITZ NOT EARLY ACCESSS BUT WE AREN'T RELEASING THE WHOLE GAME! GUIZ ITZ NOT EPISODIC BUT YOU HAVE TO WAIT A FEW MONTHS FOR D ENDING!'

pippin

I guess this will mean we will receive 3 stages every x months or something like that. Live events sound a lot like Absolution's contracts, which is not really bad because those were nice challenges.

SoupNazi

I'm fine with this. As long as it's, you know, not 3 missions every 6 months.

Astral Rag

Arcane
Wtf is wrong with releasing a complete game with a decent level editor and maybe some proper expansion packs later down the line. I couldn't care less about all this early access and episodic BS.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom