Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Holiday Island

Black Angel

Arcane
http://www.abandonwaredos.com/abandonware-game.php?gid=1940

Holiday Island is an old Windows XP city building simulation game developed by Sunflowers Interactive Entertainment Software in 1996 from an original idea by Niels Kokkelink, Moritz Baer, Rainer Michael. Holiday Island can be enjoyed in single player mode from a isometric - 2.5D perspective. It's available for download.

I remembered playing this game back when I was just a 2nd/3rd grader. Years later (I forgot when I was in high-school or college fresh year) I download a full version of the game somewhere on the internet. And then, the game's just gone from my PC (most likely when it broke down and fixing it resulted in the whole thing I've had before it breaks gone).

Now, my lil brother wants to play it, so we searched and searched but can only get a version with missing features (can't sabotage opponent's construction sites, can't even check other news channel).

There's a German-supported version that even had an add-on, patched to work for Win 7 64-bit. However, I'm no German, and even my English still sucks.

So, any of you guys knows where to find an English full-version? Or should I just download the German version and go with it?

Some videos:

German-version LP:

Some screenshots:
holiday-island-1.jpg
holiday-island-2.jpg
holiday-island-3.jpg
holiday-island-4.jpg
holiday-island-5.jpg

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I remember that game from my youth too. I think the German version is all you can do, bro - this is the kind of game that is so specifically German, it's no surprise the definitive updated version is German only.
It's (of course) also made by Germans, so yeah.

I wouldn't keep my hopes up for an English version.

Skunkpew

Augur
When you download it from abandonware sites the whole game is available, the issue is that there are various errors in the game files that need fixing in order to do things like sabotage or such. Try reading the forum at Abandonia and see if the fixes there do anything for you. Specifically, I remember the fix to the .dat files worked for me a long time ago. There's also a 265 MB version at theisozone in English. If that isn't the full version, I don't know what could be. Though you may still have to apply the above fix to make it fully functional.

Snorkack

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Never heard of that. Looks intriguing a.f., like a transport tycoon/tropico crossover. Is it worth playing/does it run on modern rigs?

Skunkpew

Augur
My experience is that it's maybe fantastic to play for a weekend, but there's no lasting interest to it. There's no real management of anything and no real feeling of escalation. It's great fun to design a few little beaches, but nothing happens with any of it. Very static. You don't feel any interaction at all with the people of the world either. Also the AI is quite terrible and builds randomly. If they come into your area, they'll just build whatever: a mishmash of roads with no buildings or they'll put multiple airports next to each other when they don't even have enough tourists to fill one.

Black Angel

Arcane
I remember that game from my youth too. I think the German version is all you can do, bro - this is the kind of game that is so specifically German, it's no surprise the definitive updated version is German only.
It's (of course) also made by Germans, so yeah.

I wouldn't keep my hopes up for an English version.
What a shame. Even though I vaguely remembered some parts were in German when I was a 2nd/3rd grader, I'm fairly certain I found an English full version somewhere when I was in high-school/college fresh year.

When you download it from abandonware sites the whole game is available, the issue is that there are various errors in the game files that need fixing in order to do things like sabotage or such. Try reading the forum at Abandonia and see if the fixes there do anything for you. Specifically, I remember the fix to the .dat files worked for me a long time ago. There's also a 265 MB version at theisozone in English. If that isn't the full version, I don't know what could be. Though you may still have to apply the above fix to make it fully functional.
Thank you so much! Even though it's probably a week or two to go before it's back to school for this semester, I'm sure my lil' bro would be thrilled. Gonna set things up when I got back home.

Never heard of that. Looks intriguing a.f., like a transport tycoon/tropico crossover. Is it worth playing/does it run on modern rigs?
What Skunkpew said, though there IS a degree of 'feeling of escalation', in terms of having more expensive buildings unlocked as time goes on.

I'm not sure if German version would change any of that, any words JarlFrank ?

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I'm not sure if German version would change any of that, any words JarlFrank ?

I tried out the German version you linked to and while I haven't played much yet, it runs perfectly fine on my Win7 rig. It comes with an installer that installs the full game plus expansion, all ready to play. Didn't try to sabotage anything yet, so I don't know if that works bug-free.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom