Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Homefront: The Revolution

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...homefront-the-revolution-pc-ps4-xbox-one-2015
How Crytek UK is relaunching Homefront on PC, PS4 and Xbox One

Crytek UK has announced that its Homefront sequel, now titled Homefront: The Revolution, will be released next year for PC, PlayStation 4 and Xbox One.

Set in an occupied Philadelphia, The Revolution is a CryEngine-fuelled open-world FPS with a focus on guerrilla warfare and optional online co-op for up to four players.

You play as a "freedom fighter", one of a growing number of civilians beginning to engage the Korean People's Army after four bitter years of occupation. The problem is that those in control have all the technology and guns, whereas you can only fight with the weapons and resources you scavenge or craft from your surroundings.

The Revolution is an entirely different beast to the original Homefront's linear, level-based structure and, apart from the basic premise of a North Korea-invaded USA, there's little else that links Crytek's game with its predecessor. And this is no bad thing.

The first Homefront gained developer Kaos mixed reviews for its work, before earning the studio a complete closure from its owner, publisher THQ. But the game sold well - a million copies in its first week - and Crytek UK was brought in to work on a sequel.

That was three years ago, THQ is now dead and, after acquiring ownership of the brand outright, the Nottingham-based branch of Crytek has been quietly building its new definition of Homefront ever since.

"There was quite a massive shift in how we were approaching Homefront," Crytek UK game designer Fasahat Salil tells Eurogamer. "We started off with THQ coming to us to work on the next Homefront. That was exciting because we saw the potential that Homefront had and could offer - we wanted to take that premise forward. But we were still working on a very linear scale where it was a level by level shooter.

"Once we acquired it after the whole THQ business in 2012 [when the publisher collapsed], that gave us the flexibility to push out from that and see how far we could take it. All of a sudden it was up to us how big we wanted the game to be - we were in full control of it. That was really exciting. It was then we made the call to make this a free-roaming world where the player isn't restricted by levels."

Walk through the game's version of Philadelphia and it's clear the game's inhabitants are suffering. Swathes of the city have been converted into ghettos, "Yellow Zones" where the KPA keep a close eye on the population and pass out a meagre supply of food rations. Surveillance drones constantly scan inhabitants for suggestions of wrong-doing, while KPA troops patrol on foot and whiz by in armoured vehicles.

Several of these zones exist in the city and Crytek is designing each to have their own feel. Then there are the Red Zones, lawless badlands which the KPA largely avoids. It's not confirmed, but it sounds like the danger here will be your fellow citizens. There's an "opulent" Green Zone too, where KPA officials have taken up residence.

The slice of gameplay we're shown has the player and three online friends take on a KPA checkpoint, a floodlit, armoured barricade surrounded by troops. One player runs off to activate an IED in the distance, with the resulting explosion drawing a large number of troops away from our position. Meanwhile, we're cobbling together a bomb strapped to a remote-controlled car. A quick crafting session later and our miniature vehicle is driving up to the checkpoint under the wheels of one of the KPD's own trucks. Once by the checkpoint it detonates, and the other players push forward to quickly mop up survivors.

"We have an entire story thread going that will push the story forward with big missions," Salil continues. "But apart from that - ambushes, assassinations, sabotage on KPA structure... we want to litter the world with stuff for people to do but focus it on guerrilla tactics. You can't just pick up a gun and start shooting people, you have to utilise the world around you.

"All of the content is geared around hit and run stuff. We want to get the player to do something and then melt back into the population - that's the essence of being a guerrilla fighter, you can't linger or you'll be hit back by the response."

While the game can be played alone, Crytek hopes that friends will buddy up to together, even if players are undertaking different activities in completely different parts of the map.

"If your buddies are in the world with you, you don't have to be doing the same thing," Salil explains. "The idea is that you come together to do something you all want to do - if you come across a mission you think is cool, or want someone to help you out." If your friends want to do their own thing then that's fine too, and gameplay will be balanced so you're not at a disadvantage.

More of the game will be shown off at E3, but for a first look at what was previously a dormant franchise, this introduction to The Revolution is certainly worth shaking off your preconceptions for and taking notice. Think of it not as a Homefront 2, then, but as Crytek UK's take on the open-world shooter genre.

"The original game did have its flaws, there's no secret about that. It didn't quite reach the level that people were hoping for but it did come out of nowhere," Salil concludes. "It was the same for us, as players, we said 'wow, this is a really interesting premise'. We realised we'd be able to put our own stamp on it."

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I live in Philadelphia so I might play this just out of curiosity. Also I quite liked Far Cry and Crysis, so if they go back to that style of stealth/guerrilla warfare in huge open areas it could actually be good.

Renegen

Arcane
I don't have a problem with that, Far Cry gameplay is the best thing to come out of the terrible FPS genre lately. It's either cinematic shit like Wolfenstein, pathetic single player like Titanfall, Citizen Kane of Gaming like Bioshock, or Far Cry clones.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Hey we heard Far Cry 3 sold 9 millions copies and not being the talentless hacks we are , we gonna make our version of a B movie pretending to be an open world game and call it... ehhh... Homefront 2, yeah people we gonna not only borrow the shitty gameplay from another game but the name too, even the name of a shitty game nobody cared about is better than make a new ip, yeah we have no originality don't expect this from us.

Homefront 2 will star the brillhant idea of making the poorest country in the world to conquer the whole Asia and the USA because we wanted the chinese money and you fuckers can't recognize a korean from a chinese anyway and have zero knowledge how the military works. You fatty and lazy americans go buy our crap and pay 60 bucks for it, be happy shooting yellow people while we pretend we are doing an artistic game about foreign oppression on the most powerful country in the world that bombs weak countries into the stone age.

You fuckers that just wanted us to make a no-nonsense open world shooter like Far Cry 1 and Crysis 1, fuck yourselves, this is 2014 and no fun is allowed. We need to show you that foreign oppression is bad, because video game is art you know.

anus_pounder

Arcane
They should make an africa FPS instead. Warlord from <shithole1> invades <cesspit2>. You can't get any more morally ambiguous and grimdark than that.

Last edited:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
It was originally China but they didn't want to create a political issue out of it, supposedly.

Even China doing a land invasion of the US is pretty far-fetched.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Ed123 Interestingly, I've heard the Chinese had zero problems with Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I watched a Let's Play -- seemed like it's one of those standard overly cinematic/scripted five hour snooze fests.

anus_pounder

Arcane
I watched a Let's Play -- seemed like it's one of those standard overly cinematic/scripted five hour snooze fests.

From what I've heard, its SO overly cinematic and scripted that even professional reviewers and next-gen gamers found it lacking in content. Make of that what you will.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
From that I infer that since THQ was going broke the 'journalists' didn't get their bribe checks.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
You actually can fuck up the Call of Duty formula, believe it or not. There is a point where even idiots notice the rails and scripting. Medal of Honor reboot was one of those, Homefront was as well.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I'm playing Alien Rage (bundle fodder game) and it's actually better than 90% of the FPS out today. Yeah it's a generic title with a generic story and generic badguys but it's fairly unforgiving even on the lowest difficulty. Enemies are fast, the AI is solid, and they're relentless... a tad too bullet spongey though. Even the basic troops can sometime take an explosion to the face and shrug it off. Pretty funny to see one go flying because of a rocket, stumble on the ground, then get back up and resume shooting. Only really bad part is health regen.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I'm playing Alien Rage (bundle fodder game) and it's actually better than 90% of the FPS out today. Yeah it's a generic title with a generic story and generic badguys but it's fairly unforgiving even on the lowest difficulty. Enemies are fast, the AI is solid, and they're relentless... a tad too bullet spongey though. Even the basic troops can sometime take an explosion to the face and shrug it off. Pretty funny to see one go flying because of a rocket, stumble on the ground, then get back up and resume shooting. Only really bad part is health regen.

I actually had fun with that game as well, in the demo. Planned to get it on sale, never saw it happen. Next time I guess.

deuxhero

Arcane
Hey! It's the guy from the new Infamous!

If they acknowledge how stupid the idea of a North Korean invasion is and just run with it treating it like a stupid b movie plot in the GREAT UNITED STATES OF AMERICA (which isn't THAT far fetched given Free Radical is behind this, though the trailer doesn't really give that much hope), it could be playable.

sser

Arcane
Developer
Millions of 5'5" underfed soldiers grow strong on American crops.

North Korean grunts are in...

HomoFronto 2: The Harvesting.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom