Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Homefront: The Revolution

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I actually had fun with that game as well, in the demo. Planned to get it on sale, never saw it happen. Next time I guess.
It's in a BundleStars bundle for $5 with about ten other games: http://www.bundlestars.com/all-bundles/vendetta-bundle/

Thanks, it and the Sniper game are probably worth $5. Steam version of Disciples 3 can't hurt I guess. Rest is trash. Worth it though. :bro:

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
The Sniper game is pretty horrible/boring. Deadly 30 is not too bad.

chestburster

Savant
Illiterate
I live in Philadelphia so I might play this just out of curiosity. Also I quite liked Far Cry and Crysis, so if they go back to that style of stealth/guerrilla warfare in huge open areas it could actually be good.

LOL bro you don't need to play dis to experience guerrilla warfare. Just take a walk on Broad Street after sundown.

anus_pounder

Arcane
Could be good. Preordering.

Did you also pre-order Murdered Soul Suspect?

"Could be good" in 90% cases turns out to be shit.

Off the top of my head, I've preordered Watch_Dogs, Murdered Soul Suspect, Shadow of Mordor, Farcry 4, and Metro I & II redux. I'll be preordering Homefront 2, Civilization : Beyond Earth, Arkham Knight and Alien : Isolation when they become available.

With the exception of Haze for my PS3 which I D1P'd, I'm yet to be disappointed in my preorders. Murdered Soul Suspect might just be the 2nd one, though.

iqzulk

Augur
With the exception of Haze for my PS3 which I D1P'd, I'm yet to be disappointed in my preorders.
You DO know that the guys who made Haze (Free Radicals) and the guys who are making Homefront: The Revolution (Crytek UK) are exactly one and the same company, right?
I don't think Haze's scriptwriter is in though.

anus_pounder

Arcane
With the exception of Haze for my PS3 which I D1P'd, I'm yet to be disappointed in my preorders.
You DO know that the guys who made Haze (Free Radicals) and the guys who are making Homefront: The Revolution (Crytek UK) are exactly one and the same company, right?
I don't think Haze's scriptwriter is in though.

True, but hey. Everyone deserves a 2nd chance, right? What could possibly go wrong?

chestburster

Savant
Illiterate
TBH the first Homefront had above average writing and background lore:

It had an interesting "American Korean" character, who was heavily scarred in the face by American mobs of race riots and yet still loyal to America.

That was quite interesting and bold writing for a shooter.

(Which reminds me, Philly has the best Korean community and restaurants I've seen along the east coast. Wonder how this NK invasion gonna affect that.)

It also had redneck hillbilly survivalist-turned-into-raiders in the heartlands.

More politically sensitive stuff than the average shooters.

chestburster

Savant
Illiterate
The original didn't really show any more consideration for that sort of thing beyond the typical hollywood model,

It actually did. In the background lore and in the novelization (written, at least partially, by the one and only John Millius):

NK didn't even bother with "integration/cultural assimilation" after the blitz attack. They knew they couldn't maintain the U.S. society anyway. They were here only for the resources for the short term, so they didn't give a fuck about the American population. Hence, the mass graves depicted in the first Homefront.

Also, a large chunk of the American population lived in the suburbs, which completely collapsed after the infrastructure (power grid, highway) was destroyed in the blitz attack. People fled to large cities which were turned into giant concentration camps basically.

It's probably the only way an occupation of such a large country as America could work, IMO.

Also,

Or, perhaps the Nork regime has an extremely strong element of racial nationalism - are bi-lingual AMKs favoured for jobs over blacks/whites/mexicans etc.

The first Homefront did exactly that. The AMK comrade NPC had been previously recruited into KPA as an collaborator thanks to his skin color. But he deflected.

chestburster

Savant
Illiterate
That's the kind of writing you feed to eight-year-olds in civics class.

Name one other recent military shooter VIDYA GAME that did this.

In fact, name one other recent Hollywood film that did this.

I'm not saying it's superb writing in itself but only it's above its peers.

Are you talking about Hopper? (I had to wiki his name, forgotten the names of everyone in that shitty story). He was forced into working for the KPA.

More like being "asked nicely" to help his people but ultimately deciding to betray his own people because of Kwa brainwashing.

Anyway, the game's writing was criticized as being heavy handed. But it's probably the only way a real invasion of the U.S. could work.

And the writers didn't forget to take the multi-ethic nature of the U.S. society into account, however simplistic their implementation is, given the limitation of a COD-style shooter.

chestburster

Savant
Illiterate
abused and oppressed by space america..

You misunderstood. I'm not talking about depicting "America as the bad guy". I'm talking about showing "the White race riot against Minority" i.e. putting American Japanese into concentration camps during WWII.

None of the games you listed showed that.

I've not seen Stop Loss or In the Valley of Elah so I'm not sure. But the rest of the movies you listed didn't show that.

The only movie I'm aware that touched on this topic is Snow Falling on the Cedar which came out in 1999 or something. Hence not "recent".

I'd love to see a mainstream movie about the treatment of the American Arab people after 911. If you know one, please let me know.

chestburster

Savant
Illiterate
I'd love to see a mainstream movie about the treatment of the American Arab people after 911. If you know one, please let me know.

How about before?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0133952/

(shitty movie though, fucking hated the female protagonist)

I've seen that one when I was really young. Couldn't remember much now. But seeing the director has a track record of making shitty movies displaying blatant White superiority/White Savior complex (The Last Samurai, Blood Diamond) and is a hypocritical liberal, I have no intention of revisiting that one.

Plus, Denzel Washington is a White washed mascot for Hollywood's hypociritical "racial diversity". So fuck that as well.

But thanks anyway. That movie's topic is exactly what I was talking about.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
There wasn't a LOT of Arab American incidents after 9/11 honestly. People said some shitty things and I think there were a few cases of violence, but on the whole there wasn't a whole lot to report and focus on, as far as I am aware. It wasn't a return to segregation or mass beatings in the streets or anything super crazy like that.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Here's another pre-9/11 movie that was rather popular in Israel during the Second Intifada: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0160797/ :smug:

(the movie had potential but the ending was kinda weak, seems like the scriptwriter just gave up and decided to wrap things up)

chestburster

Savant
Illiterate
Here's another pre-9/11 movie that was rather popular in Israel during the Second Intifada: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0160797/ :smug:

(the movie had potential but the ending was kinda weak, seems like the scriptwriter just gave up and decided to wrap things up)

Oh this one has been on my "to-watch" list forever. Completely forgot about it. Love what the writer did with Syriana. Thanks for reminding me.

chestburster

Savant
Illiterate
Uh, so you want a military shooter that depicts white people oppressing a minority in their own country? Why would a traditional milshoot even feature that kind of content any more than a pinball game featured a transgender romance? What exactly constitutes a military shooter - if Homefront, which is practically sci-fi or alternate history, counts, why not Bioshock Infinite? I don't really understand what it is you're saying Homefront should be praised for. It features a Korean-american whose backstory (not even depicted in the game beyond snide racial remarks in two seperate scenes - one in a prison camp the other in racist redneck survivalist country) involves him being attacked by racist white americans.

I think the (probably only) praiseworthy thing about Homefront is, even though it's at its core a gun-ho America-fuck-yeah "military shooter" a la COD/BF3/MOH reboot, it quite surprisingly touches on some topics not typically featured in such gun-ho stories. For example, you don't see that in the new Red Dawn reboot or COD.

Which results in an interesting
schizophrenia, almost like in Apocalypse Now, co-written by the right-wing John Mllius and the left-wing Coppola.

The end result is a more realistic examination of that scenario.

Also, like I said before, the strategies of the NK Chinese army in taking over the U.S. is quite plausible.

I could be biased though, since I'm a big John Millius fan.

BTW, Bioshock Infinite is not of the same genre as it's pretty much liberal propaganda, as one-sided and offensive as the jingoism propaganda in COD/MOH reboot.

Haven't seen that one. Will check it out. THanks!

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Political incorrectness in mil-shoots? How about your Hispanic comrade in Black Ops 2 turning out to have been a mole for the Hispanic archvillain all along? Take that, diversity! :smug:

That game's story was a mess, but I really liked that part.

(no, that doesn't mean it's okay to be a CoD fanboy chestburster)

chestburster

Savant
Illiterate
Political incorrectness in mil-shoots? How about your Hispanic comrade in Black Ops 2 turning out to have been a mole for the Hispanic archvillain all along? Take that, diversity! :smug:

Huh? I always thought the mole was the sunglass guy played by Ed Harris. I do remember some undercover agent mole being revealed and shot by the evil amigo dude.

Couldn't remember much of that game's plot though. It was indeed a mess.

anus_pounder

Arcane

Huh? I always thought the mole was the sunglass guy played by Ed Harris. I do remember some undercover agent mole being revealed and shot by the evil amigo dude.

Couldn't remember much of that game's plot though. It was indeed a mess.

Hnngg, can't...resist... :negative:

The mole on Menendez's side was the hispanic marine and the mole on your side was the arab dude. Ed Harris was the CIA agent who asks to get execute in the place of the 10-year old kid and the other guy.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom