Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Horizon Zero Dawn - open world action-RPG from Guerilla Games - now on PC

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
hey, slag this shitty action game all you want but you fucking dare criticize the jRPG sub-forum.

the jRPG sub-forum is the only place on the Codex where turn-based RPGs are actively discussed, ranging from turn-based blobbers to "tactical RPGs" to, obviously, the traditional JRPG.

compared to the CRPG sub-forum... well... just take this fucking thread for instance!

r00fles!

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Actually you're partialy right.
It does looks and play* better than upcoming ELEX.
*based on gameplays videos without comments

Sabotai

Liturgist
JG wrote the single best piece of writing in F:NV in the form of the Survivalist's diary scraps found within the cave systems of the Honest Hearts DLC's Zion Canyon.

is there any evidence that his writing, or writing of that quality, will be present in this non-RPG game?

Well additionally, GG brought in Dennis Zoetebier, Quest Designer for TheWitcher 3. He designed the Bloody Baron Quest line.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The voice acting was already 22/7 kinds of hilarious, but any competent commentary on the writing?

Monkeysattva

Cipher
It's a matriarchal society. Jesus H. Chriast. This may be a SJW shitfest. (people on Twitch playing it)

cpmartins

Cipher
It's a matriarchal society. Jesus H. Chriast. This a SJW may be shitfest. (people on Twitch playing it)
"""""""""""""""""""""may be"""""""""""""""""""""
It's the feminist game of this generation, or some similar shit, according to jezeballs or the saloon. I don't remember which one.

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
The bond I've made with Aloy is greater than any other character in memory - like she's my own daughter. The opening was so simple and elegant, yet powerful and defining.

:flamesaw:

Kem0sabe

Arcane
So, I picked this up yesterday afternoon and spent the rest of the day playing it, some thoughts:

The engine is a fucking work of amazing engineering. Very smooth, few to no loads, instant saves, extremely fast Ui and responsiveness.

Fuck these animations and traversal are smooth.

The visuals and art direction are great, they go a long way in establishing a believable and Immersive world that pull the player into exploring every nook and cranny.

The rpg systems are somewhat light, 4 or 5 skill lines focusing on combat, stealth, resources. With crafting and gear upgrades tacked on.

Its similar to mass effect in many regards, there is a dialogue wheel, you can talk to npcs about a variety of topics and there are dragon age 2 moments of be a dick, be a smart ass or be a kind hearted soul.

The side quests are well done and not your typical fetch kill quests. The Witcher 3 inspiration is huge, and it shows why they hired CD Projekt RED’s Lead Cinematic Artist Pawel Swierczynski, Quest Designer Dennis Zoetebier, and senior Technical Designer Shadi Dadenji.

The combat is too easy, as the stealth mechanics are overpowered as fuck for random enemies. Bosses and more elite enemies require some more thought tho.

So far I'm enjoying it, and if the game stick to 20-30 hours, I can see myself enjoying the experience.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom