Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Hotline Miami 2: Wrong Number

sser

Arcane
Developer
Only highlight of Beard's levels was the song 'The Way Home', which plays in Causalities, which I thought was otherwise was the worst level in the game.

Yeah that was a great song. Also hated the level, too. And pretty much all the 'quasi-Vietnam' stuff...

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
So, just finished this one. Seems like they are going for Fallout/Wasteland route for third game :D
Soundtrack is less epic than the first game but its still good. Beard's levels could be rageworthy if he didnt have access to solid weaponary, burning poor soldiers with flamethrower or sniping them is entertaining. Pity though when I first saw the jungle level screenshot, I hoped for some Predator/First Blood type of jungle action.

SwiftCrack

Arcane
I can't decide what's more annoying in hardmode: flipped screen or half bullets.

Unwanted

Goat Vomit

Andhaira
Andhaira
So, just finished this one. Seems like they are going for Fallout/Wasteland route for third game :D
fyCymgo.jpg

DefJam101

Arcane
2. My guess is that the canonical ending to Jakes story is his death by the russian mobsters during the failed mission. I think the secret ending (he survives and 50 blessings kill him) is just an extra, a look at what they would have done to everyone who knows too much.
Seeing as that cutscene is how you unlock the secret level, I'd imagine it's non-canon. Not that it really matters.

DefJam101

Arcane
I really liked the first. The level design and enemy placement are significantly worse now.

Well, this is weird. It's not often I disagree with sexbad on action game shit.

My question to everyone who hates HLM2's level design: in HLM1, did you use melee weapons almost exclusively? In HLM1, the levels were so small (and the guns so loud) that melee weapons were far, far superior to guns both for initial completion and nabbing high scores via combos. There was almost never any reason to use guns besides adding difficulty. HLM2's level design gives guns an actual gameplay function, which, imo, is great.*

The default camera should probably be pulled back a bit, but I was already used to playing with the look key held down nearly all the time (which is exactly what you needed to do to use guns in HLM1) so I haven't had any problems with "off-screen snipers". I can imagine adjusting to the floaty look camera would be weird for players used to meleeing everything, though.

Some of the early levels are too linear, but that's a different problem. Also they spinnin nigga they spinnin

*Except for that one annoying as fuck Beard level. That one really is too large. Probably the worst level in the game.

nimateb

Augur
I started HM2, didn't like it, replayed the first, tried HM2 again and I love it now.

My question to everyone who hates HLM2's level design: in HLM1, did you use melee weapons almost exclusively?

No. Maybe melee weapons are the superior choice for better players who get high scores but I mostly stuck to firearms. I'd use some melee to take out first enemies on the floor and proceed to shooting up the rest. I tried going through entire level using melee only few times but didn't succeeed and decided that I can't be arsed to master it. HM2 feels like a game designed for people who got A-S ratings in first one, for a B-C casual like me it gets very frustrating. I'm in the Act 5 and I like the game enough to finish it but I doubt I'll want to replay it. Definitely a disappointment compared to HM1 for me. Level that pissed me off the most was the bit that forces you to play with every mask from vigilante group, especially the last room with that chainsaw/firearm duo, I absolutely loathed playing them. Soldier missions annoy the shit out of me too. Honestly even with level design as it is, had they stuck to model of one character with multiple optional masks and made the field of view higher, game already would be much more fun to play.

Last edited:

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The soldier missions are shit because you can't pick up dropped guns, so you're reliant on the ammo you have an on sparsely placed ammo chests, and the levels are so open you p. much need to use firearms (also to kill the fat guy enemies so you shouldn't use all your ammo on the normal dudes).

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
The soldier missions are shit because you can't pick up dropped guns, so you're reliant on the ammo you have an on sparsely placed ammo chests, and the levels are so open you p. much need to use firearms (also to kill the fat guy enemies so you shouldn't use all your ammo on the normal dudes).
It doesn't help that assault rifles are utterly useless. You only get ten shots per ammo pickup, which roughly translates to half a second of fire, which forces you to resort to baiting tactics because if you run out of ammo and a pickup isn't nearby, you're pretty much fucked.

AN4RCHID

Arcane
Finished this on normal a few days ago, it's p. excellent. I went back and replayed the original to compare and I'd have to say HM2 is better in almost every way. There's way more variety and consistent quality than the first game. Levels are more creatively designed so you can't just melee rush through everything. Hitboxes feel a little more generous but the number of enemies is cranked up to balance it out. Throwing in more special enemy types like those fast bastards in the prison makes for some more dynamic challenges. In retrospect there are a lot of standout levels I can remember like the prison riot, that last Hawaii mission, the roof, the heist, the docks, and probably some others I'm forgetting, whereas in the first game a lot of the levels run together in my memory. I think that's one of the strengths of having more narrative context along with having special gimmicks for the different characters that keeps things fresh. The soundtrack was better too imo. The one thing I miss from the first game is the obscurity of the story and not knowing what's going on compared to the more literal, and sometimes a little longwinded story in the second game.

I wish I had played this sooner cause now I won't get a chance to finish it on hard with PoE coming out tomorrow, and I'm already itching to start it again.

SwiftCrack

Arcane
I just wish there were a couple more boss-like characters in HM2.

Hell, virtually all of the 'bosses' are special enemies, at best, and the one 'real' boss is the dude in the prison court, and he's just a more frustrating version of the Jackets versus Biker fight in HM1.

I guess the son's drug induced rampage can be considered a boss fight.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom