Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Hotline Miami or I am in awe.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
A 'Dennaton Games Dev Comp' (the developers of this game) has been added to the Steam registry so this might be launching soon.

LizardKing

Scholar
Pre-ordered.
A bit too brutal for my taste, but it seems that devs nailed the atmosphere on this one.
Reminds me of Dreamweb, which is one of my favorites.

sser

Arcane
Developer
Bought.

Will come back with opinions later.

EDIT: Alright.

The game oozes atmosphere for starters. It's like a graphic mix of Aronofsky and Cronenberg with a Drive-influence. A lot of it reminds me of The Void, too, with the way the camera sorta tilts left and right, pulsing with colors just outside your view, and the dizzying music and story blend together.

Sharing influences with those previous name-drops, the game is ultra violent. It very much reminds me of "True Lies" for the SNES, a game I haven't touched in so long, but I have to believe that it influenced the creators somewhat. Similar perspectives, similar graphic violence. Thing about Miami, though, is that the action is incredibly fast paced. Everything happens in the blink of an eye. You will miss a shot and be dead about 0.1s later. You will break into a room and slash throats and blow heads off people in about 0.5s. It is intense.

You die in one hit, so you have to be very quick in taking enemies out. The game gives tons of options in how you want to do that. Think: "overhead Hitman," because the game is very puzzle-like if you ignore all the gore. "Guns blazing" is possible, but enemies can hear gunshots and will swarm you. It's best to methodically take enemies out. Sometimes you can do it quick and easy, but sometimes you gotta mix planning with skill. For example, a room full of bad guys. One patrols near the door. So I kick it open and knock that guy down. I throw my knife across the room, killing a gunner who didn't have enough time to react. I pick up a shotgun and blow the head off another dude in the corner and then I turn and kick in the head of the guy I had knocked down earlier. I expect to see some really awesome youtube-videos of people burning through levels with a devilish mix of carnal creativity and speed.

For $10, it's alright. I think $5 is more like it. $10 is about right, though, if you're into high scores. The game tracks scores by how often you change up weapons, how you take people out, etc. Gunning everyone down in a hallway isn't going to net you much, but dropping enemies with speed and varying weaponry will acquire high ratings. It's all good fun. My only knock is I can see this game being very nauseating for some folks. Imagine the most warped, eye-melting aspects of Aronofsky, Cronenberg, etc., and make it the whole experience all the time. It can be overwhelming.

Summary:
Kind of overstimulating/10

Machocruz

Arcane
So there is some brutal violence in that trailer (the head smashings probably the most), but not nauseating. Does it go into Cronenberg body-horror type stuff? Sexual sadism?

Commander Xbox

Learned
jesus this is bugged. anyone getting random ''error code'' things popping up and crashing the game?

asper

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Are the levels large? How many of them are there?

sser, you say only positive things about the game, which sounds actually really good, but then proceed to rate it at 5 dollars?

Anyway, will probably pick this up, based on the positive experiences here

Bulba

Learned
It's kinda fun, but the graphics give me a nasty headache...

dnf

Pedophile
Dumbfuck Shitposter
Fucking hipster piece of shit:butthurt: ! It says my pc lacks video memory and then crashes. Guess that Snes graphics indies nowadays are to heavy for my machine, even when i can run games with PS2 level graphics easily(well most of the games, but you get the point).

LizardKing

Scholar
Just finished this one, it was short but very enjoyable.
Action is fast and brutal, atmosphere is fantastic, soundtrack is great and fits perfectly.
The storyline was much better than I expected and I really liked the way it was told.

Hotline Miami is one of the better games I've played this year.
If you like what you see in the trailers, you won't be disappointed.

Commander Xbox

Learned
ya i just finished too. good game. the soundtrack is fully sick and the story and atmosphere are really surreal and creepy

plus the action is pretty fast and gory, it can be trial and error at times tho

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Holy shit, didn't expect this from a game from 2012. No onscreen hints, difficulty levels or anything.

Pretty short, but I'd say it is worth the price. Less than a movie ticket anyway.

No bugs on my end, got stuck in the wall once. The silent gunshots mask is almost like cheating.

So there is some brutal violence in that trailer (the head smashings probably the most), but not nauseating. Does it go into Cronenberg body-horror type stuff? Sexual sadism?

No, not at all. It sticks to what you see in the trailers already.

MachineCommander

Educated
I'm pretty close to the end of the game, but I'd have to say there's plenty of room for replay value if you like the idea of trying to beat your high score and obtain better ratings and more masks.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
It is funny how seemingly simple game has surprisingly many small touches here and there. Notice how the apartment changes, for example. They shouldn't have explained so much of the story with the alternative ending though.

JudasIscariot

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
Are the levels large? How many of them are there?

sser, you say only positive things about the game, which sounds actually really good, but then proceed to rate it at 5 dollars?

Anyway, will probably pick this up, based on the positive experiences here

The levels usually have 1-3 floors and there are 15 of them.

Here's an interesting tidbit:

http://www.vg247.com/2012/10/25/hotline-miami-patch-extra-levels-pad-support-incoming/

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom