Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Hotline Miami or I am in awe.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Really? You tried playing it like a stealth game? I wasn't sure what to make of it when I first booted it up, but it quickly became apparent that it was essentially an old school arcade game.

I had a lot of fun with it. I'm not sure that there's much point to replaying it other than if I'm bored and have a few minutes to kill, but it was definitely worth the money.

I also had more trouble with the van than the final boss. I'm a bit curious as to some of the comments about it though. Pool? Doors? Where she crawls? I don't recall any of that stuff. I might have to boot it up just to check out that room again.

SwiftCrack

Arcane
only annoying part is that the ninjachick has a terrible almost instant OHKO move which WILL kill you the first time you encounter her

Self-Ejected

ManjuShri

Self-Ejected
So long as you bring a gun from the upper levels the van isn't a problem, line up with the door that the enemies come out of and shoot them before they can react, you only have to dodge one or two molotovs for which there's plenty of room.

oscar

Arcane
Cool game. Didn't really have any trouble at all with the last boss or even the hospital. Molotov van guy I just held up in the room close by while he set most of his own men on fire.

Tony really rocks and pretty much makes you unstoppable against melee opponents. Making a noise to attract attention, hiding behind a corner and then striking when they come to investigate works for everything else. Except the black dudes and cops with tasers who for some reason you need to fill with lead.

From what I could work out of the plot,
the 'canon' is that biker guy actually kills Drive guy in the phone centre building.
The 'real' ending is pretty lame though, don't bother chasing it or even watching it online.

The real wisdom in the design was by including non-action segments. Game would have been a lot less entertaining without those sections with you leaving your apartment and having a chat to the counter guy. While it would be a serviceable arcade beat-em-up on its own, they give the game something compelling and cool.

Was well worth the five bucks even though this genre is usually not my cup of tea.

From what I could work out of the plot,
the 'canon' is that biker guy actually kills Drive guy in the phone centre building.
The 'real' ending is pretty lame though, don't bother chasing it or even watching it online.

Apparently the segment where you
play as biker dude

it's an "what if" story. Though some creative people think
neither actually died - considering the mental state of the driver guy at the time (from biker dude's point of view, the driver silently ignored two warnings to stay away before charging him), it's possible that biker dude beat him up halfway to death and left him there before fleeing, which Driver guy's fucked-up mind interprets as a victory

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Just started playing this. I can beat everything by just being quick with a melee weapon. I assume this changes eventually.

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
I just assumed the 'golden' ending was intended to take a jab at perfectionists by making the 'truth' utterly bizarre and unsatisfying compared to the buildup.

The 'Jacket was Dead all along' vs. 'What-if scenario' debate is intentionally open-ended, that's the inherent beauty of it, You could interpret the increasingly surreal visuals and hallucinations that Jacket suffers from near the end as a sign of either his decaying mental state, or his dying mind collapsing as it wades through a self-built purgatory, you can interpret the later events in Jacket's scenario as a natural conclusion to a game that has thus far been lampooning several aspects of the eighties, or an intentionally constructed scenario made by Jacket where he finally takes on the big bad and avenges both of his girlfriends, etc

Ragamuffin

Educated
Be sure to make proper use of his throwing knives, there's a few enemies per level for which they're a must. He's the first boss you fight in the telephone company building.

MisterStone

Arcane
Just started this game yesterday... damn fun, damn fun. I can't figure out how to use the drill though, does it allow me to execute people quickly when they're standing?

Destroid

Arcane
As far as I can tell the drill is not useful, just has a special execution for enemies on the ground.

MisterStone

Arcane
Hmm, maybe it's a challenge mode, or it gives better points/rating then.. will play with it more later...

Self-Ejected

ManjuShri

Self-Ejected
Coming to PS3 and Vita in spring.

"For Hotline Miami on Sony’s platforms, we’re also looking at a springtime release. Hotline Miami is being ported by Dutch developer Abstraction Games (responsible for ports of Angry Birds, Cut the Rope, and others). Original developer Dennaton Games is overlooking the port, but it’s already busy building a sequel. Additionally, Hotline Miami will be part of Sony’s pretty rad Cross-Buy program, which means buying one version gets you access to the other version."

Humppaleka

Cipher
Going for A+ every level atm, first 9 levels done. Also got that pesky 13X combo, what is your best codexers?

Fucking great game it is... Absolutely love doing those crazy weapon-switching combos and pulling off those "impossible" moves and then laughing when the game just breaks from the amount of awesome on screen.

Humppaleka

Cipher
Same here, Hotline Miami was very high on my 2012 list (not that there were that many good games). The only game ever I actually had to hunt every achievement for, and the last achievement (get all achievements) bugged out. Whee.

Horus

Arcane
Istanbul-Constantinople-Byzantium-Piece of land.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom