Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Hotline Miami or I am in awe.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Who really paid attention to the story? I doubt they'd do a sequel 'for the fans' -- the game was 99% arcade action and 1% story. It sold well, seemed pretty easy to create so a sequel makes perfect sense.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Just bought it for 8 potato. I made a great decision when I decided to not fund the western privilege by buying it earlier. The same with Gratuitous Space Battles and Spiderweb Games.

Eyeball

Arcane
Who really paid attention to the story? I doubt they'd do a sequel 'for the fans' -- the game was 99% arcade action and 1% story. It sold well, seemed pretty easy to create so a sequel makes perfect sense.
Action was meh. What made the game memorable was really the fucked up aesthetics of the thing, blood, entrails, mindwarping music and swirling drug haze colouration.

DefJam101

Arcane
Hotline is the best arcadey try-this-shit-a-thousand-times scorewhoring game since Super Meat Boy. If the action was meh everyone would rightfully call it a pretentious mess of a game with a good soundtrack.

Is this game primarily made for mouse and keyboard? I was considering picking it up on the Vita, but was afraid it might control like shit with a gamepad.

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
When it was released on PC it had only mouse+kb support but I think they added x360 support too cause people are whiny bitches.
M+kb is the best way to play cause of the responsivness but maybe they slowed the game down a bit for consoletards.

Last edited:

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
I can't imagine playing it on a pad, it requires split second reactions with precise aiming sometimes. Consoles probably have auto-aim or some other crutch.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
I wished Postal would have mechanics like these when playing them.

Anyway, it's fucking awesome. It's like that thing that Awor was talking about when talking about modern/futuristic setting cRPG mechanics.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
:necro:

I recently bought and completed this thing and have a few things to say about it. The targeting is too finicky for my tastes and it could used more aiming assist imo. However, the levels themselves are fantastic, the kind of flexible puzzles I easily fall in love with, like the kind in Blood Money and World of Goo. It's not as nigh-perfect as those though, because of the aforementioned finicky aiming and also the bosses. Those bosses are god awful trial and error garbage; typical European obstinate ineptitude. I'd prefer the sequel do away with them altogether if they can't make them fun. It took me a while to understand how I was supposed to complete the stealth level, but I didn't find it so bad.

Killer soundtrack. I've been listening to it a lot. McinJosh is also right about one thing: killing people in this game is superfun. Not feeling any urges to do it in reality though.

I can't imagine playing it on a pad, it requires split second reactions with precise aiming sometimes. Consoles probably have auto-aim or some other crutch.
You can lock on targets with kb/m too. Anyway, I tried it with gamepad for a bit and it didn't feel right at all. Might be doable if there's no other choice, but kb/m is clearly a superior way to play.

SwiftCrack

Arcane
The bosses are pace-breakers, not a bad thing in itself.

The only one I really hated was the final boss because of the near pixel-perfect timing that is required.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
The bosses are pace-breakers, not a bad thing in itself.

The only one I really hated was the final boss because of the near pixel-perfect timing that is required.

The one with the molotovs, armorlords, and gun-guys is comparably bad, particularly because of the randomized weapon drops.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I actually beat it on my Vita, the pads do a mediocre job at aiming, but the highlight (surprisingly) was the touchscreen. This made locking onto targets quite a bit easier and I had no real trouble controlling it.

:5/5:

Falksi

Arcane
I want the sequel - Thotline My Mammaries

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom